Russian Threats on US Schools Email from School Super

Steel Valley FB

We just got an email this evening saying that school admins in Central Ohio and others across the country have received threatening emails from a “Russian organization targeting American schools“. The email goes on to say that the FBI is aware along with a joint terrorism task force and they have recommended proceeding with normal operations. It ends with the email saying there will be increased police patrols around buildings. I‘m assuming this will hit the tv news outlets tonight and tomorrow. Personally, I’m not concerned. Whoever is behind it is likely just trying to create social discord and disrupt daily operations, which is easy to do in our digital/viral society.

Channel 5 just started News with this story. Named 7-8 Disrricts that received this threat by email. Played a comment from the Edgewood District.

This is the email from the Olentangy superintendent. It’s not our district, but the letter is similar. Funny, though, I graduated two years behind Todd and was good friends with his brother who is my age. :) I need to reach out to Todd as it‘s been several years since we talked.

At least one of our Olentangy administrators have received email messages from an account that claims to be a Russian organization targeting American schools. We can confirm that school districts throughout Central Ohio, the state, and the country have received the same messages, notifying local and national law enforcement agencies.

The Delaware County Sheriff’s Office (DCSO) and all other law enforcement agencies in Columbus are currently in contact with the FBI and the Joint Terrorism Task Force. The FBI is aware of the messages and stated that there is no credibility to these claims. There was a similar situation last week across Texas, and the FBI also found no credibility in these messages. The DCSO and the FBI recommend proceeding with normal operations.

Out of an abundance of caution, Olentangy’s Safety and Security team is partnering with the DCSO to ensure that there is increased security at our school buildings tomorrow. This is not because these are credible threats; but because any type of threat can cause anxiety and concern. We are committed to maintaining the highest level of service and care for our Olentangy community.

We will continue to work with law enforcement and central Ohio school districts on the situation. If you or your student(s) observe or hear anything of concern, please contact the Sheriff’s Office at 740-833-2800.

Sincerely, Todd R. Meyer Superintendent Olentangy Schools

Letter from South-Western SD:

Dear SWCSD Families,

This afternoon (Sunday, December 10) a South-Western City School District staff member was included on an email chain with representatives from approximately 48 other Ohio school districts alleging there to be explosives in our "American school building."

The email we received was from the same source which made the rounds in Texas last week and was debunked by FBI officials and the Joint Terrorism Task Force Friday as "clearly a hoax" (click here to read the article).

The safety of our students and staff in our care at South-Western City Schools each and every day is our highest priority. While this latest rumor has been debunked by the FBI and the Joint Terrorism Task Force as a non-credible hoax, we wanted to write home today to let families know about the unsubstantiated messaging and to dispel any online rumors that may come about as a result of this hoax.

For all things SWCSD safety, visit www.SWCSD.us/safetyandsecurity.aspx for more information.

Sincerely, South-Western City Schools

This is supposedly what the email said:

“I am a owner of a russian terrorist organization called [cyrillic characters], I would read this message as carefully as I can, my partners have planted explosives in your american school building, we do not care if you believe this or not, we are tired of the ukrainian support you guys have been giving them, the detonation will happen in 2 PM, we might have failed to detonate the explosives in texas but we promise that this time we won’t fail, let the games begin”

“I am a owner of a russian terrorist organization called [cyrillic characters], I would read this message as carefully as I can, my partners have planted explosives in your american school building, we do not care if you believe this or not, we are tired of the ukrainian support you guys have been giving them, the detonation will happen in 2 PM, we might have failed to detonate the explosives in texas but we promise that this time we won’t fail, let the games begin”

I was not aware you could “own” a terrorist organization.

He writes similarly to my friend the Nigerian prince.