Rule Help OHSAA 7 - Clarification on Multiple Entrants to Individually Bracketed Tournaments

Lionattack

So does this mean now you every extra must be listed as a separate team if you have multiple wrestlers in a weight class? Does this only apply to bracket tournaments.

I've been coaching 20 years and a lot of tournaments have always let you enter extra's . Now with this enforcement I feel we will lose more wrestlers. Its hard to find enough coaches already to send kids to a seperate jv tournament. Let alone if you are able to take kids to a tournament and enter multiple wrestlers.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

From OHSAA
7 - Clarification on Multiple Entrants to Individually Bracketed Tournaments

I have been made aware that tournaments in some areas of the state have allowed schools to enter multiple entrants from the same school to enter a tournament in the same weight class / bracket. This is not permissible by NFHS rule 1-4-1. This is not permissible regardless of scoring / non-scoring team point modifications that have been applied to these entrants in the past.

The language in 1-4-1 was somewhat ambiguous, so I confirmed this interpretation with NFHS wrestling administrator Elliot Hopkins. In a related note, a school may weigh-in two wrestlers with one moving up to the next weight classification.

Great...let's do things to reduce the number of kids and coaches in our sport. ?

I'd love to hear the explanation on why this is not prohibited when those wrestlers are "non-scoring".

Is this / has this always been "the rule", or is this something the NFHS and now OHSAA have put in place for this year due to COVID?

Great...let's do things to reduce the number of kids and coaches in our sport. ?

I'd love to hear the explanation on why this is not prohibited when those wrestlers are "non-scoring".

I have emailed the state , I would encourage you to do the same to at least express your concern to Tyler Brooks at OHSAA

tbrooks@ohsaa.org

Is this / has this always been "the rule", or is this something the NFHS and now OHSAA have put in place for this year due to COVID?

If this rule has been in place in at least the last 5 years it has received zero enforcement here in Ohio. at least in regular season tournaments we have attended. So, I would be shocked to hear that is the case.

If it is an old rule - it needs to be revisited and frankly just removed.
If it is a new rule - it needs to be revisited and frankly just removed.

Does no one any good whatsoever unless I am missing something major.
No one is saying let extras into Brecksville, or the gmvwa or anything. Let it be on each tournament's director/staff(s) if they want to let extras in.

No multiple entrants- "This is not permissible by NFHS rule 1-4-1...

J-R-Williams-Batman-slap-Robin.jpg

Both the NFHS & OHSAA need to revisit their "Mission Statements."

NFHS Mission Statement
The National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) serves its members by providing leadership for the administration of education-based high school athletics and activities through the writing of playing rules that emphasize health and safety, educational programs that develop leaders, and administrative support to increase opportunities and promote sportsmanship. [emphasis added]

OHSAA Mission Statement and Strategic Plan
To serve our member schools and enrich interscholastic opportunities for students. [Emphasis added]

The rule goes back to at least 88-89 (the oldest of my rule books that I can find). It was Rule 1-2-1 back then.
The language has had some additions but it is essentially the same rule.

The rule goes back to at least 88-89 (the oldest of my rule books that I can find). It was Rule 1-2-1 back then.
The language has had some additions but it is essentially the same rule.

This has to be the dumbest rule ever. I can understand it being prohibited in the post season (Although in Michigan they don't follow NFHS and allow multiple entrants in the postseason and obviously use the old weights).

Even the Brecksville tournament has Brecksville's extras wrestle in it to get them matches.

I've never seen this enforced. There are many smaller varsity tournaments they need multiple wrestlers from the same school to fill out the bracket.

Not sure who brought this to Tyler Brooks as a point of emphasis but I have an idea who might have stuck their nose in it to "enforce" the rule