Remembering the Youngstown City Series and Steel Valley Conference

Mike Hears passed away very young, maybe in the mid 1990s
Yes, Mike Herns started off @ Ursuline prior to transferring to East. Mid 90s sounds about right for his passing. His son Mike Herns Jr also played for East
Ytown, I'm sorry I cant help you on Zupko & his college career. Too bad this thread wasn't around a few years ago sine both of my sons went to the Ironman Warehouse at both locations. They saw more of Dunner than Zupko.
And piggybacking on the Southern Illinois topic I found an old article about the 83 Salukis National Championship. Prominently featuring Terry Taylor & Sterling Haywood

Moving right along...the 1982 Youngstown City Series All-City Football Team:

1982 Yo City Series FB.png
82 City Series (Detail).png

I know YTOWN hasn't followed up yet on the 1982 team (above) with his informational nuggets, and college choices, but I've got the time right now that I won't have later today, so here's the 1983 All-City Series team. (Note to YTOWN: I have the 1984, 1986, and 1988 teams; but NOT the 1985, 1987, 1989, and 1990 teams).

And thanks to TriangleMan for pointing out to me these archived stories are catalogued under "The Vindicator" (V's), from 10/21/1981 thru 6/30/2009; while the remaining older ones are listed under "The Youngstown Vindicator" (Y's), from 4/22/1807 thru 8/31/1984--although in the overlap from late '81 thru August of '84 there are hardly any issues. It must have been around that time that the Vindicator officially dropped Youngstown from it's masthead and corporate title.

1983 Yo City Series FB.png

Yes. He went a "few" years after Poole, I don't recall if they were on the SIU team at the same time.

I don't think Mr. Phibbs got there until Mr. Poole was gone.
Yes, Mike Herns started off @ Ursuline prior to transferring to East. Mid 90s sounds about right for his passing. His son Mike Herns Jr also played for East
Ytown, I'm sorry I cant help you on Zupko & his college career. Too bad this thread wasn't around a few years ago sine both of my sons went to the Ironman Warehouse at both locations. They saw more of Dunner than Zupko.
And piggybacking on the Southern Illinois topic I found an old article about the 83 Salukis National Championship. Prominently featuring Terry Taylor & Sterling Haywood

That's the thing. I don't know if it's that some of the guys I think played at the college level actually did play and I just don't remember where or is it that they just did not play at the collegiate level? As far as help I was thinking you might know where some of the guys from East played that I may omit. If so please jump in.

In 1982 East & Rayen shared the CS title with 3-1 records. East beat Rayen head-to-head but lost to South.

College players that I know of:

Offense:

QB - John Keleman - Wilson - Hiram
Back - J. C. Penny - East - jr. - Miami (Fla) for 3 years & YSU (Led the CS in rushing with just over 1,300 yards.)
End - Jeff Overly - Wilson - Hiram
OL - Vernon Gurley - South - S. Illinois
OL - Jim Zdelar - Rayen - jr. - Pitt & YSU - drafted by the Dolphins

Defense:

End - Duane Marrow - South - Wisconsin (His son Desmond is Mooney's career record holder in interceptions)
DL - Alonzo Bailey - South - S. Illinois
DB - Rod King - South - BGSU
DB - Tony Copeland - East - Central St. Ohio
DB - Steve Lyle - Rayen - Kent St.
DB - Collin Staples - Rayen - Kent St.

In 1983 South won the CS title with a 4-0 league record and finished 6-4. Chaney finished 7-3 with wins over Mooney and Boardman and East finished 6-4 with a win over Massillon Perry but South beat both of them to win the title.

1983 SOUTH
NEW CASTLE, PA. W 6-2
ERIE TECH, PA. L 14-16
FITCH L 8-21
EAST W 12-7
CLEVELAND E. TECH. W 35-12
CHANEY W 7-3
WILSON W 36-0
CANTON McKINLEY L 0-6
Massillon L 0-38
RAYEN W 7-0
6-44-0 City

College players I know of:

Offense:

Receiver - Teddy Owens - South - Memphis St.
Receiver - John Klacik - Chaney - Lock Haven
Receiver - Ed Bloxson - Rayen - Memphis St.
OL - Jim Zdelar - Rayen - Pitt & YSU - drafted by the Dolphins in 89 - he was not cut by the Dolphins but left camp. Tragically killed in a car accident in 91.
OL - Dave Hight - East - Ohio U.
QB - Michael Kernan - Chaney - Hiram
RB - J. C. Penny - East - Miami (Fla) & YSU - (Led the CS in rushing with just over 1,600 yards.) Still 6th all-time in kick return yardage for the Hurricanes. He also averaged over 7 YPC in his limited rushing attempts but he was on those great Hurricane teams with Alonzo Highsmith & Melvin Bratton at RB so he didn't get that many carries from scrimmage. Great RB at East.
RB - John Greene - Chaney - Penn St. (Capt. there I think)
RB - Robert Smith - East - Toledo & S. Illinois

Defense:

LB - Jerry Olsavsky - Chaney - jr. Pitt - Steelers & Ravens in the NFL (Paul Maguire broadcasting a Steelers game story about Mr. Olsavsky next year)
DB - Terrence Tubbs - Wilson - YSU
DB - Ron Lewis - East - jr. - S. Illinois

Just to add on, 1981 East Ray Bracy didn't make All City ( Maybe he was honorable mention) went to Edinboro)
Tony Copeland All city 82 was in Dallas Cowboy training camp...as a punter
Yes, John Greene was Captain at Penn State
And JC Penny was the one I mentioned earlier about channel 21, 27 & 33 listing his signing as West Virginia, YSU, and the Hurricanes.

Just to add on, 1981 East Ray Bracy didn't make All City ( Maybe he was honorable mention) went to Edinboro)
Tony Copeland All city 82 was in Dallas Cowboy training camp...as a punter
Yes, John Greene was Captain at Penn State
And JC Penny was the one I mentioned earlier about channel 21, 27 & 33 listing his signing as West Virginia, YSU, and the Hurricanes.

I do remember seeing a blurb in the Vindicator saying that Mr. Penny was going to sign with W. Va. or Miami. I also remember reading that Mr. Copeland played in the CFL but I have seen a website that lists all the CFL players over the history of that league, and there are several local guys, but not Tony Copeland. John Greene was in the Eagles camp at the same time Matt Cavanaugh was with the Eagles.

I think Wendell Hayes was another Ursuline transfer

Yes, he was definitely an Ursuline transfer. Was looking up on our ol' archives. Led the SVC in scoring, but as Ytown & others can attest, it wasn't total points, but average per game for SVC stats. I was a little surprised to read Saadey from Mooney led the SVC in passing.

Mr. Hayes was a 2nd team All-SVC RB for the Irish as a junior before transferring to Rayen. Mr. Saadey did lead the league in passing and his top receiver, Rick Shepas, led the league in reception yardage. The Cards won the D2 state championship that year.

In 1984 South repeated as CS champions with a 4-0 league record but East had the best overall record in the league at 7-3. The Warriors beat the Golden Bears, 12-7, in week 10 to win the title.

1984 SOUTH
NEW CASTLE, PA. T 14-14
ERIE, PA. TECH W 20-14
WEIRTON, W. VA., WEIR L 0-7
WILSON W 32-8
CHANEY W 6-0
ERIE, PA. McDOWELL L 6-19
RAYEN W 35-13
CANTON McKINLEY L 0-27
BARBERTON L 6-7
EAST W 12-7
5-4-14-0 City

College players I know of on the All-City team:

Offense:

Receiver - John Toomer - East - Edinboro
OL - Roy Guy - Chaney - Carnegie Mellon (thank you Scipio)
Back - Wendell Stewart - Wilson - jr. - YSU
Back - Eric Triplett - Rayen - Memphis St.
Back - Gary Collins - Chaney - Hiram

Defense:

DL - Erych Griffin - Rayen - Pitt
LB - Jerry Olsavsky - Chaney - Pitt - drafted by the Steelers, spent 9 years with them and 1 with Baltimore in a 10-year NFL career.
LB - David Jenkins - East - Edinboro
LB - Steve Jones - South - YSU
LB - Todd Finley - Rayen - jr. - Pitt
DB - Ron Lewis - East - S. Illinois
DB - Eric Berry - Rayen - Pitt

Last edited:
Rayen opened the 1985 season with a 14 -7 win over Steubenville, the defending D2 state champions, down in Steubenville snapping a 32-game regular season winning streak for Big Red. Trailing 7-6 the Tigers converted a 76-yard hook and lateral play for the winning points with about 2 minutes left in the game.

Rayen went on to win the 1985 CS title, their first outright title since 1960, with a 4-0 record after a hard fought 20-12 OT win over East in week 8. Once again East finished at 7-3 with one point losses to Ursuline & Steubenville and that OT loss to Rayen.

The Tigers finished the regular season at 8-1 and became the first CS team to qualify for the playoffs. Rayen defeated Struthers and Warren JFK in D3 R9 but they lost QB Tony Donaldson early in the JFK game. He was the trigger man in their wishbone offense and without him their passing attack, which had been pretty strong in the regular season, was severely limited in the semis against Orrville, a game they lost 23-13 with about a 4-minute bad stretch of football at the start of the 2nd half when turnovers and especially penalties turned a 7-3 Rayen lead into a 16-7 deficit. The Tigers did manage to cut it to 16-13 but Orrville added a late TD to ice it. The Red Riders lost to Columbus DeSales, 21-13 in the D3 title game.

At the Mooney-Ursuline game in 87 one of the Orrville coaches scouting the Cards and Irish told me that Rayen was the scariest team they saw on film in that 1985 season. The Tigers had great speed and a stable of backs that could take it to the house on any play but they did have a penchant for putting the ball on the ground as well. Also, when you lose your QB in that offense it is tough to overcome. The Tigers finished at 10-2.

1985 RAYEN
STEUBENVILLE W 14-7
ERIE, PA. ACADEMY W 32-6
OPEN
CHANEY W 27-8
PAINESVILLE HARVEY W 46-0
WILSON W 46-6
SOUTH W 14-6
EAST W 20-12 (OT)
BOARDMAN L 0-30
LIBERTY W 33-0
STRUTHERS W 24-6*
WARREN JFK W 12-6*
ORRVILLE L 13-23*
*PLAYOFFS
10-24-0 City

1985 All-City Football Taem Text A.PNG

Offense:

OL - Eryck Griffin - Rayen - Pitt
QB - Jim Vivo - Chaney - jr. - Ohio U.
QB - James Stanford - East - jr. - YSU
RB - Wendell Stewart - Wilson - YSU
RB - Derrick Lewis - Rayen - soph. - Pitt

Defense:

DL - Mike Flores - East - Louisville - Drafted by the Eagles. Played for them, the 49ers & Redskins in his NFL career.
DL - Tony Lynch - Rayen - BGSU
LB - Todd Finley - Rayen - Pitt
LB - John Grizzard - East - YSU
LB - Chuck Sammarone - Chaney - YSU
DB - Tim Rutledge - East - jr. - OSU
DB - Allen Jones - Rayen - jr. - YSU
DB - George Phillips - Chaney - jr. - Ohio U.

Last edited:
I was working in N. Canton at the time so in week 8 of the 1986 season I stayed there after work and went to see South play McKinley at Fawcett. McK was undefeated and ranked #1 in the state. The Pups received the opening KO and drove straight down the field to take a 7-0 lead. I remember thinking that was too easy. However, the Warriors D tightened up and Tony Tellington ran for two TDs to give South a 12-10 lead at halftime. South emulated the Pups by taking the 2nd half KO and driving for a TD when Tamron Smith ran about 40 yards for the score. They added the PAT and the Warriors led 19-10.

At this point I have to mention that South's HC was a Wilson grad so right there you know he's half crazy. I grew up with a lot of Wilson guys, they're all freaking nuts! :) Anyway coach may well be half crazy but he isn't totally insane so I figured he could not have called what happened in the 4th quarter. South has the undefeated #1 ranked team in the state down 9, on their home field, in the 4th quarter. I'm thinking just don't do anything crazy and win this game. With the score still 19-10 South, the Warriors had the ball 4th and 15 at their own 12-yard line. They faked a punt, threw a pass which was incomplete giving the Pups the ball on the South 12-yard line. I can't believe what I just saw! There were a lot of McK fans on the visitor's side and all of them are saying how this just didn't make any sense. Fortunately South's D stuffs McK and the Pups miss a FG. After an exchange of punts Tony Tellington breaks about a 75-yard TD run for the Warriors and South wins the game 27-10. It had to be one of the biggest upsets of the year if not THE biggest upset of the year in Ohio. Statistically though South put up over 400 yards of offense against McK and won going away. That was McK's only loss in the regular season.

In week 10 of the 1986 season East and South met for the CS championship witnessed by about 7,500-8,000 fans at Stambaugh. Both teams came in with 8-1 records. In a great back and forth game East won 22-15 in OT to win the championship, their first outright title since 1958. Both teams qualified for the playoffs for the first time, in D2 R5, and met again in week 11. This time Tony Tellington returned the opening KO for about an 85-yard TD and South jumped out to a 14-0 lead, only to see East come back to lead 15-14 in the 3rd quarter. South immediately answered that score and held on to win by the same score as the week 10 game, 22-15. Another really good game.

1986 EAST
STEUBENVILLE C. C. W 22-0
CANTON TIMKEN W 15-0
URSULINE W 13-6
WILSON W 24-0
BOARDMAN W 6-0
MOONEY L 0-28
RAYEN W 20-0
CHANEY W 13-7
WARREN HARDING W 30-18
SOUTH W 22-15 (OT)
SOUTH L 15-22*
*PLAYOFFS
9-24-0 City

Offense:

End - John McWilson - South - jr. - Ohio Northern
C - Sylvester Stanley - East - soph - Michigan - Patriots in the NFL
QB - James Stanford - East - YSU
QB - Jim Vivo - Chaney - Ohio U.
RB - Tony Tellington - South - YSU - Drafted by the Dolphins

Defense:

DL - Miles Davidson - South - Ohio U.
DL - Rodney Smith - East - YSU
LB - Travis Jones - Rayen - Cincinnati
DB - Tim Rutledge - East - OSU
DB - George Phillips - Chaney - Ohio U.
DB - Kenny Poindexter - East - Oberlin
DB - Darren Penson - East - Kent St.
DB - Andre Ballinger - South - YSU

Last edited:
I was working in N. Canton at the time so in week 8 of the 1986 season I stayed there after work and went to see South play McKinley at Fawcett. McK was undefeated and ranked #1 in the state. The Pups received the opening KO and drove straight down the field to take a 7-0 lead. I remember thinking that was too easy. However, the Warriors D tightened up and Tony Tellington ran for two TDs to give South a 12-10 lead at halftime. South emulated the Pups by taking the 2nd half KO and driving for a TD when Tamron Smith ran about 40 yards for the score. They added the PAT and the Warriors led 19-10.

At this point I have to mention that South's HC was a Wilson grad so right there you know he's half crazy. I grew up with a lot of Wilson guys, they're all freaking nuts! :) Anyway coach may well be half crazy but he isn't totally insane so I figured he could not have called what happened in the 4th quarter. South has the undefeated #1 ranked team in the state down 9, on their home field, in the 4th quarter. I'm thinking just don't do anything crazy and win this game. With the score still 19-10 South, the Warriors had the ball 4th and 15 at their own 12-yard line. They faked a punt, threw a pass which was incomplete giving the Pups the ball on the South 12-yard line. I can't believe what I just saw! There were a lot of McK fans on the visitor's side and all of them are saying how this just didn't make any sense. Fortunately South's D stuffs McK and the Pups miss a FG. After an exchange of punts Tony Tellington breaks about a 75-yard TD run for the Warriors and South wins the game 27-10. It had to be one of the biggest upsets of the year if not THE biggest upset of the year in Ohio. Statistically though South put up over 400 yards of offense against McK and won going away. That was McK's only loss in the regular season.

In week 10 of the 1986 season East and South met for the CS championship witnessed by about 7,500-8,000 fans at Stambaugh. Both teams came in with 8-1 records. In a great back and forth game East won 22-15 in OT to win the championship, their first outright title since 1958. Both teams qualified for the playoffs for the first time, in D2 R5, and met again in week 11. This time Tony Tellington returned the opening KO for about an 85-yard TD and South jumped out to a 14-0 lead, only to see East come back to lead 15-14 in the 3rd quarter. South immediately answered that score and held on to win by the same score as the week 10 game, 22-15. Another really good game.

1986 EAST
STEUBENVILLE C. C. W 22-0
CANTON TIMKEN W 15-0
URSULINE W 13-6
WILSON W 24-0
BOARDMAN W 6-0
MOONEY L 0-28
RAYEN W 20-0
CHANEY W 13-7
WARREN HARDING W 30-18
SOUTH W 22-15 (OT)
SOUTH L 15-22*
*PLAYOFFS
9-24-0 City

Offense:

End - John McWilson - South - jr. - Ohio Northern
C - Sylvester Stanley - East - soph - Michigan - Patriots in the NFL
QB - James Stanford - East - YSU
QB - Jim Vivo - Chaney - Ohio U.
RB - Tony Tellington - South - YSU - Drafted by the Dolphins

Defense:

DL - Miles Davidson - South - Ohio U.
LB - Travis Jones - Rayen - Cincinnati
DB - Tim Rutledge - East - OSU
DB - George Phillips - Chaney - Ohio U.
DB - Kenny Poindexter - East - Oberlin
DB - Darren Penson - East - Kent St.
DB - Andre Ballinger - South - YSU
Played with Kenny Poindexter in college. Great guy, taken from us far to soon.

My 2 favorite memories from the 86 season, hard to have any when you go 0-10:

Coach Jackson going full scrimmage at halftime of the Wilson game, it was tied 0-0 at half.
Balllinger running down Harold Robinson inside the South 10 or Wilson upsets South.

Mr. Hayes was a 2nd team All-SVC RB for the Irish as a junior before transferring to Rayen. Mr. Saadey did lead the league in passing and his top receiver, Rick Shepas, led the league in reception yardage. The Cards won the D2 state championship that year.

In 1984 South repeated as CS champions with a 4-0 league record but East had the best overall record in the league at 7-3. The Warriors beat the Golden Bears, 12-7, in week 10 to win the title.

1984 SOUTH
NEW CASTLE, PA. T 14-14
ERIE, PA. TECH W 20-14
WEIRTON, W. VA., WEIR L 0-7
WILSON W 32-8
CHANEY W 6-0
ERIE, PA. McDOWELL L 6-19
RAYEN W 35-13
CANTON McKINLEY L 0-27
BARBERTON L 6-7
EAST W 12-7
5-4-14-0 City
A little FYI. South defeated East 12-7 in 83 and 84 to prevent East from winning or sharing the CS ' ship. Both times South came from behind by the defense scoring off East fumbles. I believe bothnin the 4th quarter.

Last edited:

Coach Jackson going full scrimmage at halftime of the Wilson game, it was tied 0-0 at half.
Balllinger running down Harold Robinson inside the South 10 or Wilson upsets South.
I remember East going full go at halftime that game. Very flat after that big Ursuline victory & assumed they would roll Wilson. There was more cracking of the pads at halftime than the whole 1st half.
I played w/ Poindexter. Had no idea he was no longer with us. Unfortunately thete are a few more on that All City 86 that are gone.

Rodney Smith also played for YSU.

I remember East going full go at halftime that game. Very flat after that big Ursuline victory & assumed they would roll Wilson. There was more cracking of the pads at halftime than the whole 1st half.
I played w/ Poindexter. Had no idea he was no longer with us. Unfortunately thete are a few more on that All City 86 that are gone.

Rodney Smith also played for YSU.

Yes he did. I didn't even realize that I had omitted Mr. Smith from the list until I just saw your post. I will add him. Thank you sir.

Also, I mentioned previous the Southern Illinios/ Coach Dempsey Mahoning Valley effect on their 'ship in 83. Well, enter Coach Tressell and the ' State of Youngstown ' Many players in these last 2 years, and coming up this next several years were instrumental not only bringing home 4 rings for the Guins, but resurrecting the excitement and attendance at Stambaugh. If you guys recall, after the new stadium feel wore off after 82, attendance and victories fell.
Obviously I have no proof, but I truly feel if Tressell did "pretty good" at YSU, he doesnt sniff TOSU. Lets say :'only' 1 championship and a handful of playoff appearances amd TOSU hires the Minnesota coach.

Also, I mentioned previous the Southern Illinios/ Coach Dempsey Mahoning Valley effect on their 'ship in 83. Well, enter Coach Tressell and the ' State of Youngstown ' Many players in these last 2 years, and coming up this next several years were instrumental not only bringing home 4 rings for the Guins, but resurrecting the excitement and attendance at Stambaugh. If you guys recall, after the new stadium feel wore off after 82, attendance and victories fell.
Obviously I have no proof, but I truly feel if Tressell did "pretty good" at YSU, he doesnt sniff TOSU. Lets say :'only' 1 championship and a handful of playoff appearances amd TOSU hires the Minnesota coach.

I agree. I still have the sweatshirt and tee they sold that had the big YSU helmet in the middle of the shirt surrounded by the four helmets of the teams YSU beat, and the scores of the games, to win that first title in 1991. I was wearing one of them in the MVR one day when coach Tressel walked in wearing his OSU gear. He said "Nice shirt YTOWN." To which I replied "if it wasn't for this one you wouldn't have that one." He just laughed and said you're right. I had season tickets before Tressel was hired and you are correct, the Guins were not drawing a lot of fans.

City Series and Steel Valley players played a huge role in winning those titles, especially the first one.

Coach Jackson going full scrimmage at halftime of the Wilson game, it was tied 0-0 at half..
You went 0-10 in HS and still picked OBERLIN to play college ball? ;-)

Coach Bob Wolfe took us (WGH) out at halftime against Rayen in ‘80 to scrimmage also. We fumbled four times in the first half so he made us run ten plays straight without fumbling before we could go into locker room. I had never heard of it happening before that…or since…until your post.

You are in my wheelhouse now. My dad started taking me to Fitch games in 1976 when we moved from Canton to Austintown, but 1982 is around when I really remember going. Tons of names I remember from the Vindicator and hearing on TV. Starting to see names I played against now too.

1987 All-City Football Team Pic.jpg

1987 All-City Football Taeam Text.PNG

1987 was the last year the Vindicator published pictures like the one above. Starting in 88 they went to head shots inside small squares for the players.

South won the CS title, their last before the school closed, with a 4-0 CS record.

1987 SOUTH
ST. CLAIRSVILLE L 16-18
WINTERSVILLE W 14-6
RAYEN (TEACHER'S STRIKE)
CHANEY " "
RAYEN W 28-27 (2OT)
TOLEDO BOWSHER W 20-14
CANTON McKINLEY L 12-13
WILSON W 26-7
EAST W 7-0
BOARDMAN L 0-10
CHANEY W 12-6
6-34-0 City

Offense:

End - Kevin Brown - East - YSU
End - Andre Mason - South - jr. - YSU
End - Harold Robinson - Wilson - Akron
OL - Sylvester Stanley - East - jr. - Michigan - NE Patriots
QB - John McWilson - South - Ohio Northern
QB - Ray Isaac - Rayen - YSU (QB on 1st YSU National Championship team)
QB - Kevin Harris - WIlson - jr. - Kent St.
RB - Derrick Lewis - Rayen - Pitt (Led the CS in rushing with 1035 yards and a 9.9 YPC average)
RB - Tyrone Reynolds - Chaney - Oberlin

Defense:

DL - Joe Borak - Chaney - Mt. Union & Hiram
LB - Dave DelBoccio - Chaney - jr. YSU
LB - Tamron Smith - South - jr. - YSU (more in 88)
DB - Derek Pixley - East - YSU

Would your initials happen to be TM?

View attachment 53214
View attachment 53215

1987 was the last year the Vindicator published pictures like the one above. Starting in 88 they went to head shots inside small squares for the players.

South won the CS title, their last before the school closed, with a 4-0 CS record.

1987 SOUTH
ST. CLAIRSVILLE L 16-18
WINTERSVILLE W 14-6
RAYEN (TEACHER'S STRIKE)
CHANEY " "
RAYEN W 28-27 (2OT)
TOLEDO BOWSHER W 20-14
CANTON McKINLEY L 12-13
WILSON W 26-7
EAST W 7-0
BOARDMAN L 0-10
CHANEY W 12-6
6-34-0 City

Offense:

End - Kevin Brown - East - YSU
End - Andre Mason - South - jr. - YSU
End - Harold Robinson - Wilson - Akron
OL - Sylvester Stanley - East - jr. - Michigan - NE Patriots
QB - John McWilson - South - Ohio Northern
QB - Ray Isaac - Rayen - YSU (QB on 1st YSU National Championship team)
QB - Kevin Harris - WIlson - jr. - Kent St.
RB - Derrick Lewis - Rayen - Pitt (Led the CS in rushing with 1035 yards and a 9.9 YPC average)
RB - Tyrone Reynolds - Chaney - Oberlin

Defense:

DL - Joe Borak - Chaney - Mt. Union & Hiram
LB - Dave DelBoccio - Chaney - jr. YSU
LB - Tamron Smith - South - jr. - YSU (more in 88)
DB - Derek Pixley - East - YSU

Would your initials happen to be TM?
Yes. That is me.

Surprised, Dan Ash from East was not All City in 87.

He was a good DB for the Yeomen.

Over the years there have been a lot of guys that never made the All-City team go on to play college ball, and even some that played in the NFL, and a lot that made the All-City team but did not play at the next level. One guy on the 86 & 87 All-City teams that I remember getting a lot of attention from even major colleges is Mike Warren from Rayen. I think he started for the Tigers for 4 years but if he played at the next level I just do not remember where. I also remember Rayen's coach, John Turco, saying that he got a call from Oklahoma U. about Ray Isaac running the wishbone. Of course Mr. Isaac went to YSU and was instrumental in their first National Championship.

From YTOWN's post on the 1986 All-City team:

"...In week 10 of the 1986 season East and South met for the CS championship witnessed by about 7,500-8,000 fans at Stambaugh. Both teams came in with 8-1 records. In a great back and forth game East won 22-15 in OT to win the championship, their first outright title since 1958. Both teams qualified for the playoffs for the first time, in D2 R5, and met again in week 11. This time Tony Tellington returned the opening KO for about an 85-yard TD and South jumped out to a 14-0 lead, only to see East come back to lead 15-14 in the 3rd quarter. South immediately answered that score and held on to win by the same score as the week 10 game, 22-15. Another really good game..."

Seems fitting that those two teams played for the title, as East put 11 players on the All-City team, and South had 8 guys ~ the two schools combining to have 19 out of the 30 players chosen. And the fact that they split the two-game end-of-season matchups, both by identical scores, was also poetic justice.