Votes: 36 58.1%
  • Walsh by 1-8

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Walsh by 9-16

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Walsh by 17+

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
The main issue for Walsh is in the trenches. Hoban has what amounts to a D-I college line on both sides. Walsh has decent high school linemen, but they look like 8th graders or freshmen compared to the Hoban linemen across from them. That disparity showed up right away last time they played.

Walsh having some talented players back helps, but unless they secretly imported St. Ed's linemen, I can't see how they hold up long enough to sustain drives on offense, put up some resistance on defense, and stay in this game.

The main issue for Walsh is in the trenches. Hoban has what amounts to a D-I college line on both sides. Walsh has decent high school linemen, but they look like 8th graders or freshmen compared to the Hoban linemen across from them. That disparity showed up right away last time they played.

Walsh having some talented players back helps, but unless they secretly imported St. Ed's linemen, I can't see how they hold up long enough to sustain drives on offense, put up some resistance on defense, and stay in this game.

Walsh will almost certainly have to get the quick game and screen game going.

Have to utilize the size difference and somehow put it in your favor.

I'd guess that Alexander attempts to pull out all the magic in this one. I'm not sure he has any other choice.

I think this becomes a war of attrition where Hoban just wears down Walsh as the game goes on. Close for a quarter or a half then Hoban just steadily pulls away. 35-21, 35-14, something along those lines.

Sounds about right. The last game was an aberration; it shouldn't be used as predictive evidence. That is, there's no way that Hoban is 50-0 at the half better than Walsh. 20+ points at the end of the game, though? Sounds reasonable. Adrenalin can only take you so far for so long. After a while (say late 2nd or early 3rd), it wears off and the weakening commences.

Smoove likes this matchup. Smoove think it will be different than first one. Walsh was pretty much steel-toe booted in the marbles by Hoban in the first matchup. Smoove think both teama gotted much bettersince then. Will it be 'nuff for Walsh to do some damage to the Knights of the Roundtable? Smoove don't think so. Smoove hope it a good, rilly good game, but Smoove have to go for the team that have prooved it all along, every week and ain't slipped it up. Smoove think Hoban wins this one by 20. Let's hope it a good game, and that all players stay healthy, and after the game, they can all shake hands and go get some poundin' in. THAT is what it is all about, poundin' fists with a nopponent after a hard-fought game. Smoove out.

Last edited:
If I am game planning for Walsh this week I am putting in 10-15 new plays that have not been on film this season. Not too much where we are asking a lot from 16 & 17 year old kids, but enough to be dangerous.

Obviously keep your bread & butter, but there has to be some confusion plays that are designed to make the Hoban defense think before reacting.

Spreading Hoban out and utilizing quick game, draws, screens, etc. seems like something I'd want to at least attempt to establish. Throw in the occasional trick plays for when you need a spark.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but Hoban's DL is big. Walsh's OL is not very big, but they are nimble and move well. You can attempt to utilize that if executed correctly.

At the very worst, it gives the team that lost by 50 in the last meeting a mental framework that they can maybe pull this thing off.

Bust a few long plays, get the occasional turnover on defense, play sound football without a lot of penalties, and be good on Special Teams: that's usually the recipe for an attempt at an upset.

Weather probably going to be a factor in this game.

Temps in the low 40s with an 80% chance of rain at kickoff, diminishing to 30% by the end of the 4th.

Forecast has been pretty consistent since Sunday.

I'm expecting a little bit better game this time around. But not expecting Walsh to pull the upset. I don't think that Walsh's O-Line can do a good enough job against Hoban's DL/LBs to keep their QB from being under heavy pressure all game. And from what I've seen of the Walsh QB is that he is really good, when he isn't being pressured or hit.

If I'm Hoban, I try to get a fast start on offense. Get a lead and force Walsh out of their game plan. I'd blitz on just about every play and play the run on the way to the QB and try to disrupt at the mesh point. If I'm Walsh, I go slow, run the ball and use as much clock as possible. Maybe mix in a few short passes/screens to offset the pressure and tell the players to stay in bounds. Try to keep it close and hope for Hoban turnovers, penalties and other mistakes.

I'm thinking Hoban by around 17ish.

Temps in the low 40s with an 80% chance of rain at kickoff, diminishing to 30% by the end of the 4th.

Yeah. I'm thinking of staying home and watching on TV. Has anyone ever used boxcast on Roku to watch these games? Only $10. And my living room will be warm and dry.

OhioFootball76, why was everyone claiming that a Hoban coach was caught recording a Walsh practice a few years ago?

Who was that and did it happen?
😜

Yeah, kinda stinks. Beautiful fall weather in the forecast every day for the next week, except of course for Friday. Might nullify the move to Infocision as far as attracting casual fan attendance.

Regardless of weather conditions this Friday night, I do think Walsh will keep this a closer game than last time around. That often happens when teams meet for a 2nd time in the same season.

A good example of this in Division II is Avon and Olmsted Falls. Avon blew their doors off in the first meeting in the regular season 52-10. Then they matched up again last week in the playoffs and Avon only won 33-23 in a much more competitive contest. If Walsh can put some scores on the board and keep the game within striking distance too as it approaches halftime, then they could have a psychological edge too as the Hoban kids, coaches and fans realize this one isn't gonna be over at halftime.

Regardless of weather conditions this Friday night, I do think Walsh will keep this a closer game than last time around. That often happens when teams meet for a 2nd time in the same season.

A good example of this in Division II is Avon and Olmsted Falls. Avon blew their doors off in the first meeting in the regular season 52-10. Then they matched up again last week in the playoffs and Avon only won 33-23 in a much more competitive contest. If Walsh can put some scores on the board and keep the game within striking distance too as it approaches halftime, then they could have a psychological edge too as the Hoban kids, coaches and fans realize this one isn't gonna be over at halftime.

That's a major aspect for Walsh: The mental game.

Hoban jumped on them early and often in the 1st meeting.

Just keeping it close for a quarter or 2 can do wonders for mojo.

There's also the example of STVM last year, who kept the regular season game with Hoban close, then got their doors blown off before halftime in the playoff rematch. It's obviously not a stretch to say Walsh will keep it within 50 this time around, that game was just one of those nights where things got out of hand and snowballed. Will the outcome still be in doubt come the 4th quarter, that's where Walsh needs to get this game. You would think a weather game would lean Hoban's way with their physicality, but it only takes a couple of weather related turnovers to flip a game on its ear.

If I'm Walsh, I go slow, run the ball and use as much clock as possible. Maybe mix in a few short passes/screens to offset the pressure and tell the players to stay in bounds. Try to keep it close and hope for Hoban turnovers, penalties and other mistakes.

I'm thinking Hoban by around 17ish.

I expect a balanced attack. Walsh needs to (and will) pass a lot. Maybe get a few hoban pass interference calls to go their way to keep the ball moving down field. But if cant get good passing game going gonna be a long night.

I expect a balanced attack. Walsh needs to (and will) pass a lot. Maybe get a few hoban pass interference calls to go their way to keep the ball moving down field. But if cant get good passing game going gonna be a long night.

Balance is good. Hoban is tough against both. So go with whichever is working better - or sucking the least, lol. And try to hold them to 14, 21 tops.

Not sure how much it matters, since they already played, but Hoban had 2 weeks to prepare for the previous match-up.

They had a bye week the week before they played WJ in the regular season.

Hoban fans.. as a stark county native and lifelong hater of Massillon tiger football how do you stack up against them this year? Hope to see you defeat them once again .

Hoban fans.. as a stark county native and lifelong hater of Massillon tiger football how do you stack up against them this year? Hope to see you defeat them once again .
I am a Hoban grad, go to a lot of games. I go to Massillon games too. I am just a big fan of high school football. As far as your question it is hard to say. Both teams have 1 common opponent St Eds. I don't think you can go by the outcomes of those games for several reasons many I already gave on this board. Hoban lost the last 2 state championships because of poor quarterback play. 2 interceptions, a fumble, inaccuracies etc. Hobans quarterback this year has gotten better as the season has progressed, but you don't know how is he going to play when the lights are the brightest. The last 4 games Hoban has played Massillon 3 out of the 4 Hoban was the better team and I predicted they would win. The year Massillon won I felt Massillon was the better team and predicted they would win. This year I honestly don't know. Let's see if both teams make it that far. You never know in sports. Like they say that is why they play the games.

Not to put the cart before the horse, but for the sake of this topic I am going to.

A F4 of Avon, Massillon, Hoban, and whoever comes out of Cincinnati is a real gauntlet. I'd even go as far to say that D2 is the best division in the state this year.

D1: Saint Ed's, Springfield/Coffman, Arlington/Bradley, Moeller/Lakota West

I think I am taking D2 in this scenario.

Last edited:
D2 Interviews
Wednesday
12:03 Mike Elder, Avon
12:15 Tim Tyrrell, Hoban
12:30 Nick Alexander, Walsh Jesuit
12:45 Evan Dreyer, Anderson

Thursday
12:30 Nate Moore, Massillon
12:45 Mark Geis, Green

Drew Pasteur has this as Hoban winning by 19.

Slight increase in his projection for the previous meeting, which was Hoban by 15.