recruitment or coaching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prepfan08

How is it possible, that you guys (moeller) scrimmage colerain, shoot yourselves in the foot many times with, and the starters lose by 3. colerain has 2 guys already comitted to osu and one to michigan, and from what ive herd (though i may be off and if i am tell me please) your biggest recruit is "only" getting midmajor offers......is the coaching to blame for your players lack of recruitment or just that they coach so well that you guys are a very good team?

Well one of the biggest things is that the best players are all juniors. I know for a fact that some of them are getting big time looks. Redwine(TE) will have good size D1 looks, and the juniors I know have some Boston College type Looks(Greg Jones). 5 of the 7 front seven starters are only juniors, give them time.

d1 im sure, but is that a kent state level or an osu level?
i mean out of the class of 2007, lane rodriguez,becker, wersel, jones, and maybe even patch mcclelan, who has been suspended thus far, i believe threy are all talented enough to go d1, but then again, thats why im not a coach or scout

Becker, Wersel, Jones, and Lane will be the highest recruited players in the '07 class. I know BC is already recruiting all 4 of these guys.

I think Redwine, Martez, Hines, Scheidler, Smith, and Held will all get college scholarships from '06. Also Pat Redwine, Anthony Walsh, Alex Jaeger, Iacavone, and Ryan Burandt will have opportunities at smaller schools I am sure.

I think Wersel would have a tough time going D1 because he is just undersized a bit. It's too bad because the kid can flat out play.

moemancc said:
I think Wersel would have a tough time going D1 because he is just undersized a bit. It's too bad because the kid can flat out play.

He definetly needs to put on weight, but he's only a Junior and he has plenty of time. He's about 220 I believe. He needs to get up to at least 235 next season. Greg Jones is the same way. He is around 200 and he needs to put on some pounds before he can play DE in college. I think both of these guys will go D1.

Carter's work ethic may have hurt him, Goodhart's size, Luken's speed/size, and the fact that Derico really only came into his own during his senior year, when alot of big time programs had already given out alot of that years schollys, all brought down that class.

crusader3 said:
Carter's work ethic may have hurt him, Goodhart's size, Luken's speed/size, and the fact that Derico really only came into his own during his senior year, when alot of big time programs had already given out alot of that years schollys, all brought down that class.
Lack of support also brought the class down. Goodhart did have some interest from at least two MAC schools until they talked to the coaching staff. Lukens never got any help. He is now a walk on at Ohio State. Carter also was approached by a MAC school but mysteriously the interest disappeared. C3, be honest for once the support for these guys is very limited and favors only the "chosen" ones!

Goodhart and Lukens were two of the best LB in the city their senior yr. Both of them were 3 year starters for Crable but neither one got any help getting a scholarship. Sr. year stats.

Lukens: 135 tackle 2 interceoptions Led the GCL in tackles.
Goodhart: 133 tackles(2nd in GCL) 2 interceptions 2 fumble recoveries(1 returned for 41 yd TD)

Goodhart didn't get any recognition beyond making GCL all star team. He played in the East/West All Star only because of who was coaching the East team, not because of Moeller coaching staff.

Quit making excuses C3. There are a lot of guys who haven't been getting the right kind of support in recent years.

I also wonder if some of the injuries this year are again attributable to over training during the summer. The class of '04 was also plagued by leg injuries that '03 football season because of the summer of h3ll they went through.

The beat goes on!

The problem for Moeller players is that they work so hard over the summer. They are expected to be at lifting week in and week out. This dosn't give them the oppurtunity to go to recruiting camps. This is where many of the other players get noticed. Coaches have nothing to go off of for Moeller players other than the games that they play. They don't have as many oppurtunities to get noticed.

I think Derico is doing just fine. He is starting as a true freshman for Kent State and is 4th or 5th on the team in tackles and either 1st or 2nd in interceptions. The real shame was he was probably a bigger D1 defensive back that got missed, but he seems to be doing just fine for himself.

moemancc said:
I think Derico is doing just fine. He is starting as a true freshman for Kent State and is 4th or 5th on the team in tackles and either 1st or 2nd in interceptions. The real shame was he was probably a bigger D1 defensive back that got missed, but he seems to be doing just fine for himself.
I'm glad for Derico. He deserves the success and recognition. Hmmm, maybe he wasn't marketed to the bigger D1 schools because someone did not want to hurt their own reputation by over selling the talents of Derico?!?!? :rolleyes:

MoeDude said:
I'm glad for Derico. He deserves the success and recognition. Hmmm, maybe he wasn't marketed to the bigger D1 schools because someone did not want to hurt their own reputation by over selling the talents of Derico?!?!? :rolleyes:
Still got that hard on, eh MoeDude?

MoeDude said:
Yea just like you are still worried about what I think. :D
MoeDude, you could apply your standard to Carl Kremer and it would be equally as wrong. I mean, why is a talent like Monserez languishing at IUPUI when he could be at a bigger name school, or Bubba Walther, who starred at Akron as a mere freshman. Why didn't Carl get him to a major. Even Ryan Childress initially signed with lowly Horizon league team UW-Milwaukee before the coach left for Tennessee. And what about Robby Christie, NC State is looking at him as a walk-on, but Carl initially sent him to some Baptist Bible college in the hills of Kentucky. Why aren't you criticizing Carl Kremer for not doing more for his players? I just think you have it in for Crable because you don't like the fact that Klonne was given a 12 month notice of termination.

I don't follow the basketball program as close as the football program so that is why I haven't commented about Coach Kremer.

As for your comment about Coach Klonne, again you don't have a clue. I felt all along it was time for a change and have stated that numerous times. I don't like the way it was handled but the incidents that brought an end to Coach Klonne's Moeller career can point to both sides as to why that ending was handled so poorly.

That is the second or third time you have tried to bring Coach Klonne into a debate about Crable. SOunds to me like you may be looking over your shoulder a bit too much. I have never tried to compare Crable to Coach Klonne. I have mentioned Coach Faust a few times but the bottomline is Crable is self serving in the manner he handles the players under him. You don't agree with that yet I have many parents who would back me up on my opinion of how life under Coach Crable has been.

I have mentioned it before, there is a great divide at Moeller right now and it begins and ends with Coach Crable. You either love him or you don't. Unless he makes some drastic changes in his approach to coaching that divide will not disappear.

While you and wildbill are having your lovefest post-a-thon there are many who are rolling their eyes and getting angrier with each post because of the unrealistic way you and wildbill are portraying Moeller. One thing in particular is the way wildbill is blaming all the problems on "rich" kids. Envy can be a very destructive trait and I believe sir wildbill is full of envy.

The two of you are not being realistic about the complaints that have been raised. Instead both of you want to label those who don't agree with you and make it sound like Crable dissenters have somekind of personal problem. The reality is its Crable that has the problem.

Try getting outside Moeller and talk to coaches and fans from other schools. Try to listen with open ears as if you aren't a Moeller fan. You might be surprised at the perceptions others have and how true those perceptions really are.

These comments are not much different than the comments from the Gerry Faust era. Believe it or not, under Coach Faust there were two camps also. Many, many parents and many, many players felt Coach Faust was over the top with his policies. Many of these cut and ran. Many sat in the stands and whined. Many outside the Moeller community didn't care for Coach Faust either. The fact of the matter is, it takes a demanding coach to build an excellent program.
I agree with wildbill044's contention that well-to-do parents, used to getting their way (by checkbook or just being demanding), are frustrated by Coach Crable. They are doing what they think is best for their kids, but I feel many are wrong headed. I also feel, as happened under Faust, that some players aren't willing to put forth the effort.
I have said many times that Crable's irascible style is a weakness. I am not blindly loyal. I feel some players have been mis-managed. Again, that is bound to happen in any organization, under any leadership. I'm not ready to throw George Bush over because he appointed an inept FEMA director, or because he didn't find the WMD's in Iraq.
The fact of the matter is, if you want to be part of the program, get with the program. If you want out, get out.
If you don't like the way the program is headed, confront the people involved directly. Don't sit in the stands pissing and moaning but then be gutless about confronting the head coach. If you're worried about what's best for your kids, why be chickenspit about handling the issues. I would go through walls to do what's best for my kid. I won't sit in the stands and whine about it.
In a radio interview, Coach Faust once said that the reason he wasn't successful at Notre Dame was because he wasn't tough enough on the players. He said, "Football is a tough, tough game. The coaches have to be tough and the players have to be tough."
I think the whiners at Moeller are soft, and MoeDude, I think you are soft-headed.

All I can say about your comments about Coach Faust is that you and I evidently got different messages back then. Yes Coach Faust was a tough Coach but I have been connected with Moeller since the early 60s when I was a youth and I never heard the things you are describing about Faust's era like I have heard during Crable's tenure. I am not saying Coach Faust was perfect by any means but I think you are exagerating quite a bit in your effort to defend Crable.

I am not arguing about the toughness needed to be a consistent winner. ONe needs discipline and toughness to win at anything not just football. But in the end you reward that toughness and you show respect while going through it. My observations of Coach Faust while growing up and my personal dealings with Coach Faust taught me how to put your nose to the grindstone and work hard for whatever you want in life. But I also witnessed the compassion and caring from Coach Faust that I have not seen from Coach Crable. You are the one who keeps trying to compare Crable to Coach Faust. But I have also talked to fans, parents and players in regards to other coaches.

In particular Crable's main competition today is in Coaches like Ramsey, Coombs, and Suriano. These coaches are tough and demand a lot out of their players. But I have never heard anyone close to these other organizations bad mouth them because they are too tough or that they don't stand up for their kids.

You can probably find 1 or 2 from each of those programs but I am talking as a whole and with consistency you just don't hear people complaining about those three other coaches.

I use them as an example because it shows you can be tough and demanding but still show respect. All three of those coaches are known to show their players respect. They fight for them in post season recognition. They stand behind them win or lose. I tried to defend Crable after the Wayne loss when he made comments about the fullback on that final play. In retrospect Crable was off base laying that on a teenager's shoulders like that. I haven't seen the 4 other coaches mentioned do anything like that after a tough loss.

You will defend Coach Crable forever. I don't know why you are so dedicated to him. But I won't get into a name calling barrage just because I disagree with the way you defend his antics.

If it makes you feel better saying I am soft-headed so be it. For me it just shows that your backing of Crable is weak at best since you continually try to attempt to paint me and others in a bad light.

Nothing is being accomplished by this because you aren't going to change your mind and the only thing that will change my mind is to see Coach Crable start standing up for his players and start treating them with some respect. Being tough is one thing but continually trying to break the spirit of those who play for you borders on abuse. It's that plain and simple!

Last edited:
"MoeDude, you could apply your standard to Carl Kremer and it would be equally as wrong. I mean, why is a talent like Monserez languishing at IUPUI when he could be at a bigger name school, or Bubba Walther, who starred at Akron as a mere freshman. Why didn't Carl get him to a major. Even Ryan Childress initially signed with lowly Horizon league team UW-Milwaukee before the coach left for Tennessee. And what about Robby Christie, NC State is looking at him as a walk-on, but Carl initially sent him to some Baptist Bible college in the hills of Kentucky. Why aren't you criticizing Carl Kremer for not doing more for his players? I just think you have it in for Crable because you don't like the fact that Klonne was given a 12 month notice of termination."

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING. Monserez went to Notre Dame and transferred to BUTLER after one year. Bubba is a skinny 6'4 white guard who can shoot the three/Akron is a good place for him. Childress had a horrible summer in AAU and that hurt his recruiting chances. UW- M made the tournament if I am not mistaken, anyway. Christie was a great point guard in Carl's system but not going to be anything in college other than a practice player. Plus many would probably say he is hard to coach.

moe4ever said:
"MoeDude, you could apply your standard to Carl Kremer and it would be equally as wrong. I mean, why is a talent like Monserez languishing at IUPUI when he could be at a bigger name school, or Bubba Walther, who starred at Akron as a mere freshman. Why didn't Carl get him to a major. Even Ryan Childress initially signed with lowly Horizon league team UW-Milwaukee before the coach left for Tennessee. And what about Robby Christie, NC State is looking at him as a walk-on, but Carl initially sent him to some Baptist Bible college in the hills of Kentucky. Why aren't you criticizing Carl Kremer for not doing more for his players? I just think you have it in for Crable because you don't like the fact that Klonne was given a 12 month notice of termination."

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING. Monserez went to Notre Dame and transferred to BUTLER after one year. Bubba is a skinny 6'4 white guard who can shoot the three/Akron is a good place for him. Childress had a horrible summer in AAU and that hurt his recruiting chances. UW- M made the tournament if I am not mistaken, anyway. Christie was a great point guard in Carl's system but not going to be anything in college other than a practice player. Plus many would probably say he is hard to coach.
I think you missed the point of this post entirely.

MoeDude said:
All I can say about your comments about Coach Faust is that you and I evidently got different messages back then.
Clearly, as I am probably nearly the same age as you, I knew many of Faust's players and kids who chose not to play. I knew of many families who claimed their relative "got screwed over by Faust." Fans of every school who competed against Faust regularly claimed that he cheated, or was a psycho, or "insert pop psychology phrase of the day." Again, my take on this is that these people weren't "with the program"

As to your opinions on Crable, I'm curious if you have ever sat down with Bob and told him your opinions. Clearly, you have a strong affinity for Moeller football. I'd hope you'd do more than anonymously whine about what you think is wrong on a public internet forum. That's not being "with the program." Work to improve it, or get the heII out. Don't claim to be a Moeller supporter when you post this negative, unsubstantiated trash. You could barely contain your glee when you thought you had some dirt to stir up after camp at John Carrol this summer. How sick is that? I for one, will be glad when you stop posting the things you post against the coaching staff. Do something about it or just go away. Your just one of the "gutless bastards" that Beerman used to rant against.

Status
Not open for further replies.