Rare MLB Single Game Feats

Auggie

1688582544878.png

Who would have thought that you are more likely to see all but three things than 3 sac flies in 1 game?

I have seen a 3 HR game, cycle, and a no hitter. Saw on TV the game where the Tiger pitcher missed out on a perfect game against the Indians because of a bad call by an ump on the 27th batter.

By the way still think an inside the park HR was the single most exciting thing I saw in a regular season baseball game.

By the way still think an inside the park HR was the single most exciting thing I saw in a regular season baseball game.

I can remember hearing Joe Tait calling Rick Manning's inside the park HR. I think it was Manning's 1st ML HR but I'm not sure of that.

I have seen two no-hitters and two triple plays in person. Three of the four happened in old Cleveland Municipal Stadium and the other at Three Rivers in Pittsburgh. Two of them happened against the Washington Senators and I'm pretty sure those were the only times I saw the Senators play in person.

The first was Sonny Sibert's no-hitter against Washington in 1966. He really didn't have too much drama in the game as he dominated the Senators but I do remember Max Alvis making a late-inning jumping catch of a line drive to keep the no-hitter going. Leon "Daddy Wags" Wagner hit a HR for the Tribe.

The second was a very famous play. The Immortal Joe Azcue hit into an unassisted triple play, also against the Senators, in 1968. I can remember several of us looking at each other asking what the heck just happened? It turned out that the last unassisted triple play in MLB prior to this one happened in 1927. Anyway, with the hit and run on Senators SS Ron Hansen caught the line drive off Azcue's bat, stepped on 2nd base for the second out and tagged the runner coming from 1st base to complete the play. As I remember it big Frank Howard hit a HR for Washington right after that play but the Tribe won big.

A few years later, 1972, I saw Pirates catcher Manny Sanguillen hit into a conventional triple play against the Cubs in Pittsburgh. He hit a ball to Cubs 3rd baseman Ron Santo who stepped on 3rd and went around the horn to 2B Glenn Beckert and he went on to 1B Jim Hickman to complete the triple play. The Pirates won the game though.

The last was Dick Bosman's no-hitter against Oakland in 1974 in Cleveland. It would have been a perfect game but Bosman himself made a throwing error on a ball hit by Sal Bando I think it was. It was either a checked swing or like a swinging bunt type hit that topped the ball. Anyway, Bosman rushed the throw and threw it wide of 1B for the error. I think there were about 25K people there but it sounded like 80K in the 9th, especially after he struck out Bill North to end the game.

I'm guessing I saw one of the rarer events in baseball, a no-hitter by the losing pitcher. Technically it wasn't a no-hitter because the pitcher only pitched 8 innings. MLB changed the rule so that a game needed to go a complete 9 innings to credit the pitcher(s) with a no-hitter. Since the home team didn't bat in the 9th, he didn't get recorded with a no-hitter.

Other strange things from this date, the fewest hits by a team in a doubleheader by the Indians, two. And probably very strange to anyone that follows baseball now, a scheduled doubleheader on the Indians home opening weekend.

I'm guessing I saw one of the rarer events in baseball, a no-hitter by the losing pitcher. Technically it wasn't a no-hitter because the pitcher only pitched 8 innings. MLB changed the rule so that a game needed to go a complete 9 innings to credit the pitcher(s) with a no-hitter. Since the home team didn't bat in the 9th, he didn't get recorded with a no-hitter.

Other strange things from this date, the fewest hits by a team in a doubleheader by the Indians, two. And probably very strange to anyone that follows baseball now, a scheduled doubleheader on the Indians home opening weekend.

Rare indeed. I was supposed to go that day but I was there the day before for the home opener and they played 19 innings. I had already seen a DH so I didn't go back the next day. In that 19-inning game the Indians had 20 hits but lost 7-5. Then they get 0 hits and win. Strange game this baseball. :)

I want to say Young's game was televised but I may just have seen extensive highlights as I remember seeing them. I know he walked 7 or 8 guys, Boston made at least 1 error and the Indians stole 6 or 7 bases. I also remember feeling that Mr. Young definitely got hosed out of the no-hitter because he did pitch a complete game. IIRC the rule change just went into effect for that season & it screwed him.

Another rare feat at the old Stadium that I missed in person but watched on Channel 43, Len Barker's perfect game in 81. Ernie Whitt flies out to Rick Manning to end it. I was worried when they sent Whitt up to pinch-hit because I remember him being tough on the Tribe over the years.

Good detailed writeup here.

I was there as well.

Reds rookie Elly De La Cruz stole three bases on two pitches in Milwaukee a few weeks ago.

I recall as a kid when Carlos Baerga become the 1st player in MLB history to hit HRs from both sides of the plate in the same inning. It has been done by 2 more players since then.

That lone instance of 2 grand slams in 1 inning on the graphic in the initial post belongs to Fernando Tatis Sr.

I just posted something about listening to Jimmy Dudley do the Tribe games on the radio in the Guardians thread and it made me think of something that relates to this thread.

I was listening to the Tribe vs the Twins and Bob Allison & Harmon Killebrew each hit a grand slam in the same inning against the Indians. It was said that it was the first time in MLB history that had happened. It turns out it had been done once in 1890 so that statement had to be modified to say it was the first time in modern MLB history that it had been done. I think it has been done 4 times since including Mr. Tatis' feat. Anyway, the Twins hit a 3rd HR in that inning and scored 11 runs.

That in turn reminded me of this rarity. I saw my 1st MLB game in Cleveland when my father took me to see the Go-Go White Sox in 1959. The Sox finished 6th in the 8-team AL in batting average and runs scored but won the pennant anyway. Needless to say they were not an offensive juggernaut.

Anyway, very early in that season the Sox scored 20 runs in a game against the Athletics, who were still in Kansas City at the time. Chicago scored 11 runs in one inning on 1 hit. In addition to that 1 hit they received 10 walks, 1 hit batsman and KC made 3 errors in the inning. It's not everyday one sees a MLB team score 11 runs in an inning on 1 hit.

View attachment 43200

Who would have thought that you are more likely to see all but three things than 3 sac flies in 1 game?

I have seen a 3 HR game, cycle, and a no hitter. Saw on TV the game where the Tiger pitcher missed out on a perfect game against the Indians because of a bad call by an ump on the 27th batter.
The odds of blowing a perfect game on the 27th batter is 33%?

Wow!

Not a single game feat, but earlier this week, Reds catcher Luke Maile pitched in back to back blowout losses by the Reds. Not sure this has ever been done in the modern era of baseball.

Dick Allen, who certainly could crush a HR far out of any stadium…and who should be in the HOF…hit two inside the park HR’s in one game against the Twins in Minnesota off of Bert Blyleven during Allen’s 1972 AL MVP season with the White Sox.

August 11, 2023. The rarest feat of all. Myles Straw hit a home run!

PS: He also drove in his 3rd run of the series today. That may be a career high for him. :)

In another exceedingly rare feat Cam Gallagher actually drove in a run with a two-out base hit.

First Myles Straw with a HR on Friday & now Cam Gallagher with a 2-out RBI hit today. I worry that this may be the start of the apocalypse. :)

Last edited: