Rank the Ohio Division 1 Basketball Teams

Chop Stix

Tier 1: Expected NCAA teams

1a) Cincinnati - Watching this team play is not easy on the eyes but they find ways to win and are expected to earn the highest NCAA seed of any Ohio team.

1b) Ohio State - They've had a roller coaster of a season but are currently on the right side of the NCAA bubble and can cement their status with a few more wins.

Tier 2: NIT contenders

3a) Toledo - Despite a great regular season they'll still need to win the MAC tournament to make the NCAA tourney, but they have the horses to their first NIT game in nearly 20 years.

3b) Dayton - They've taken a few more lumps than Toledo but have been better tested thus far. They have a solid shot at competing in the A-10 tourney.

5) Xavier - Their nightmare rebuilding season has taken a recent turn for the better over the past several weeks. A strong finish could potentially salvage the season with an NIT invite.

Tier 3:: Good, but not good enough

6) Bowling Green - After a rough OOC slate, they've bounced back nicely in MAC play and have an outside shot at success in Cleveland.

7) Wright State - They're in a good position to win the Horizon NCAA auto bid but with it being a down year for the league, they shouldn't be expected to win a game in whatever postseason tournament they'd end up in.

8) Akron - They could easily be a 20-win team at this point with all the close losses they've suffered but an inability to win on the road has held this squad back quite a bit.

9) Kent St - After a solid OOC performance, they haven't been able to find consistency in MAC play.

10) Miami - They're a young team making strides but it's not showing in the win column yet.

Tier 4: When does baseball start?

11) Ohio - After an okay start to MAC play, losing 7 of their last 8 has all but put a dagger in their season.

12) Youngstown St - Bad

13) Cleveland St - Very bad

How does your list look?

Bit of a train wreck season in Ohio this year. Mostly I'd only have nit-picks but Dayton has been competitive with nationally ranked teams. Toledo hasn't even played any and their loss to Wright was legit. Wright has come back to beat teams they lost to earlier in the year and Toledo seems on a slide. I'd give Dayton 2. OSU 3. Move Wright up to your tier 2, Toledo to tier 3 or just expand tier 3.

Bit of a train wreck season in Ohio this year. Mostly I'd only have nit-picks but Dayton has been competitive with nationally ranked teams. Toledo hasn't even played any and their loss to Wright was legit. Wright has come back to beat teams they lost to earlier in the year and Toledo seems on a slide. I'd give Dayton 2. OSU 3. Move Wright up to your tier 2, Toledo to tier 3 or just expand tier 3.

Dayton has better losses, Toledo has better wins. I'm pretty adamant about both teams being relatively even (and the metrics support it) and a notch below a full strength OSU.

As for Wright St, I guess they could jump a tier solely based off their postseason prospects. Their overall resume still pales in comparison to the teams above them though.

Toledo has lost three games they were up by nearly 20 and a few more they barely held on. Something just not working with that coaching staff.

Toledo doesn't beat Dayton 3 times out of 10. I wish it weren't, but that's how I see the game going. Toledo doesn't have a single good win on their schedule. Almost all of them that were supposed to be, were teams hit hard by injury or otherwise not what they were supposed to be.

Toledo's strength of schedule is 20 points below Dayton's. I don't see how you came to the better wins part of your argument. Explain further?

Last edited: