Question for MVC Insider - Princeton's facility

JAVMAN83

Couple of questions for you:

When the Oxford-Middletown Sectional meet moved to Princeton in 1975, was the Princeton facility a synthetic track by that year? If so, when?

Secondly, with the advent of the metric program in 1980 at the state meet, when did Princeton's track go from a 440yd one to a 400m track?

I'm writing a summary of the history of the district meets in anticipation of releasing all the district meet data (1923-present) in early May and would like to be correct in the information I present. I figured you'd know as much as anyone else.

I know Frank Shands was coach out there in the 70's, but I thought you'd probably know as well.

Thanks.

big j ; i do know ;; reading , deer park , sycamore, and princeton ; were the first to get all weahter surfaces then lockland hs ... so by the 74 season phs. had the that surface ; frank shands was the head boys coach from 70 to 81 ;; meibers took over boys in 82 and girls in 83 .princeton had 400 meters in 81 shands last year .., i went to the allstar track meet at sycamore as a high jumper in 66 , and they just put in all weahter track ..,. thanks, for all you guys do for track and field ;:banana: :clap: keep up the good work .princeton lost the district because it had only 7 lanes ,,..not all the jumping areas were syinthelic ;; the high jump was not done until the late 80 s .., mike whitehead won the state for old meibs with a jump of 6 8 for colerain in 74 then went to princeton hs in 75 and won the state at 6 9 for shands ;; he never practiced on sythelic surface at either school ,,. he was also an excellent hurdler and triple jumper at ohio univ.

Last edited:
big j ; i do know ;; reading , deer park , sycamore, and princeton ; were the first to get all weahter surfaces then lockland hs ... so by the 74 season phs. had the that surface ; frank shands was the head boys coach from 70 to 81 ;; meibers took over boys in 82 and girls in 83 .princeton had 400 meters in 81 shands last year .., i went to the allstar track meet at sycamore as a high jumper in 66 , and they just put in all weahter track ..,. thanks, for all you guys do for track and field ;:banana: :clap: keep up the good work .princeton lost the district because it had only 7 lanes ,,..

Thanks for the info. Would you say then, that Trechter Stadium was the last district meet to be held on a cinder track in 1971?

yes , in 71 shands ran the kofc and cavaclier relays there .:D in 72 the cavalier relays became the viking relays at princeton ;; jim wright ran the kofc relays at reading in 72 .., :p :D in the early 80s , meibs ran the kof c and viking relays at princeton hs ...,.,:clap: in 43 years of track , meibs. has been the meet mgr . in over 100 meets . including the famous come and run ;which was created by don conelley and the gang meet created by barry binkely ..

yes , in 71 shands ran the kofc and cavaclier relays there .:D in 72 the cavalier relays became the viking relays at princeton ;; jim wright ran the kofc relays at reading in 72 .., :p :D in the early 80s , meibs ran the kof c and viking relays at princeton hs ...,.,:clap: in 43 years of track , meibs. has been the meet mgr . in over 100 meets . including the famous come and run ;which was created by don conelley and the gang meet created by barry binkely ..

Thank you for the information! I was one of those participants at both the KofC Relays at both Reading & Princeton during the 1980-83 period. I still have the meet programs! :thumb:

I believe it was 1971 when the track coaches at Delhi Jr. High loaded up the team and bussed us out to Princeton to practice on a synthetic track. We were in awe. I think the talented Jim Schnur was a freshman on that team. I wonder if he remembers that road trip?

coach shands was a great coach and a greater person ; always willing to help anyone in track and field .interesting story ;)

I believe it was 1971 when the track coaches at Delhi Jr. High loaded up the team and bussed us out to Princeton to practice on a synthetic track. We were in awe. I think the talented Jim Schnur was a freshman on that team. I wonder if he remembers that road trip?

Jim would have been a sophomore in '71. He was 6th at State (440yd) as a junior, and won State in '73 as a senior in 48.4 MT. That is still one of the fastest 1/4 miles ever run in this area.

JIM WAS OUTSTANDING ; VERY FINE TRACK CAREER ;., GREAT LEG SPEED ., BOB YUNG HAD MANY FINE BOYS TRACK TEAMS IN THE EARLY 70S FOR OAK HILLS .., BY THE MID TO LATE 70S , COLERAIN WAS JUST TOO GOOD FOR MOST LOCAL TEAMS ;; BEN HUBBARD AND OLD MEIBS HAD IT ROLLING IN CARDINAL COUNRTY ;; BOYS TRACK DECLINE D WHEN HUBBARD LEFT FOR FAIRFIELD IN 80 , AND MEIBS .WENT TO PRINCETON IN 81 TO REPLACE COACH SHANDS .., :cool: :D :p