Pujols to Angels

moefan13

I'm pretty upset by this, but I guess not very surprised. I just hate the sports world right now. Was the extra $20mil and an extra year on the contract really worth THAT much more to Albert than staying in STL and building on his already larger than life legacy?

I don't get it. Whenever you are exceeding $100 million in money, I feel like the rest is simply greed. I understand the market place and I understand making as much as you can, I just don't agree with it and right now, I hate it. Money is ruining all that WAS good with sports. Baseball is the worst too.

Oh well I guess, such is life.

How is baseball the worst?

Baseball is a great sport. However MLB is one of the worst professional sports leagues (though the NBA has actually managed to surpass MLB in recent years).

As for Pujols to Angles, congrats to him on getting his payday, and congrats to the Cardinals for getting payroll and roster flexibility for the next decade. Albert is a stud, no question about that, but I'm not sure he'll be worth $25 million a year when he's in his late 30s and early 40s.

Baseball is a great sport. However MLB is one of the worst professional sports leagues (though the NBA has actually managed to surpass MLB in recent years).

As for Pujols to Angles, congrats to him on getting his payday, and congrats to the Cardinals for getting payroll and roster flexibility for the next decade. Albert is a stud, no question about that, but I'm not sure he'll be worth $25 million a year when he's in his late 30s and early 40s.

I agree that the NBA is the worst run league out there. Players change teams more often than I change my underwear. They plan for the next two years, not the next 5-10. The fact that LeBron, Wade & Bosh can be on the same team is crazy. And now the Lakers will have Kobe, CP3 & Dwight Howard. Teams just sellout for the chance to win a title immediately. Then suffer a 10 year drought because they have $0 cap space or draft picks.

The MLB is a close 2nd because of the lack of a Salary Cap, basically allowing for the same thing. Teams can spend whatever they want, but those in huge markets get to spend more because of their individual TV contracts.

The NFL is best. It's designed so that people who are smart, can build a dynasty. The Steelers are good every year, in a small market. Same with the Packers. The big market teams dominate the media coverage, but do not dominate the Super Bowl. It's easily the best run league out there.

Well if anyone thought we had a chance at resigning/extending Votto before today this certainly ends those hopes. He just better not end up on the Cardinals or the Cubs.

It's great that Pujols is out of the NL Central, even better that hes out of the Nl altogether. However this gives the Pujols a lot more money to work with and almost guarantees that Votto won't be playing for the Reds after his contract is up. It's not like the Cardinals are just going to go away now that Pujols is gone. This definitely isn't as good as it sounds

What are you guys thinking Votto might command?

Better yet, what is Fielder likely to get now that we know what Pujols is getting?

What are you guys thinking Votto might command?

Better yet, what is Fielder likely to get now that we know what Pujols is getting?

Cincy wont be able to sign Votto, he should be out of Cincy at the end of the 2012 season....Fielder's contract will be out of sight maybe not as big as Pujols but big enough the only large market teams will be interested in him

Votto might end up in St.Louis....since they lost out on Pujols....Votto might command 12-15 million a year....scarry thought!!!!!

"Angels signed Wilson & Pujols for $327.5M. KC, TB, PIT, SD, CLE, ARI and FLA owed a combined $327.8M to their opening day rosters for 2011."

That's fine. But look at what Miami is doing now. The teams that aren't spending can but won't. That's the problem. I'd be fine with a salary cap as long as there was also a salary floor.

MLB hasn't had a work stoppage in nearly 20 years. Since then the Marlins referenced above have won two world titles, the Twins win every year, the Indians have reached the World Series twice, SD once, the Diamondbacks have won several division titles and a world title and the Tampa Bay Rays are now a model franchise.

It would, however, be nice if teams could keep their stars forever. But in which other league does that happen still?

Will St.Louis go after Fielder now? I don't think he will get the same money that Pujols was asking for and it may be in the Cardinals' budget.

Pujouls is really greedy. I don't understand leaving St. Louis. He is obviously older than we know which is why he jumped on that offer.

He was pissed they gave a crap ton of money to Holiday and didn't have enough for him. Holiday is good, but you take care of the face of your franchise first, everyone else after. But im glad because now I can root for him. :)

The did offer him less, much less, in fact. And how do you know he didn't leave because he didn't want to play there anymore? Maybe he wanted to live in California. Maybe he was sick of Tony LaRussa and Carpenter being the two biggest dooches in all of sports. Or maybe he was pissed they put someone before him.

He doesn't owe the Cardinals jack, so why do you act like he should never be allowed to leave?

The players union doesn't let these guys think for themselves. Even if he loved St. Louis and the organization (which I'm certain he did), there was way too much pressure from outside sources to not leave money/years on the table. Similar thing happened with Ramirez/Thome and Cleveland.

Also to the poster who said that Pujols may be older than he says he is, I agree entirely that this is a strong possibility, which is why I'm okay with him walking.