Public vs Private W-L records, Sweet 16 & Final 4

Myron

Every few years I crawl out from my room in my parents’ basement to calculate these records, under the long-proven theory that the private school advantage becomes magnified once we get to the regional level and beyond.

Major themes this season:
1) As acknowledged in the past, what makes this comparison tricky is the increasing prevalence of public school teams with porous, open-enrollment borders, which provide those schools with the advantages that are typically bestowed on private schools in this argument. This year, a couple D-1 Sweet 16 teams and a D-4 Final 4 team, both open-enrollment public schools, won at least a game, making this W-L analysis less cut-and-dry.
2) Private schools win the state title in three-of-four divisions. A public school managed to eke out a state championship in D-4 😉 😉 😉
3) at the Regional level, the record was slightly in favor of the publics : 13-12, which is the best record for the publics in the years I’ve done this analysis
4) At the State level, privates won 5 of 7 matchups.
5) Overall records in head-to-head games, at the Sweet 16 and beyond: Privates 17, Publics 15. Keep in mind that at least six of those Public school wins are from open enrollment districts.
6) Private school state champions accounted for 11 of those 17 wins.

Records by division in these private-public matchups (Regional, followed by State):
D-1 (private 2, public 3)(private 2, public 1). Ignatius with all four wins recorded by private schools
D-2 (3-3 record)(privates 1, public 0). Alter with three of the four wins by private schools
D-3 (private 3, public 2)(private 2-0). Lutheran East with four of the five wins
D-4 (private 4, public 5)(private 0, public 1). In this case, Richmond Heights was categorized as a public school.

Last edited:

And yet, the winning team with most " transfers" from other schools is the public school. Look at the " Who wins D4 thread" to read some of the Yappi reactions. Are you maintaining that the only way a public school can win is to cannibalize other schools for their talent? Ignatius won the D1 title ( its first in 23 yrs) with three of its former starters transferring out; three that had been thought of as top players in the area. With the new transfer portal in vogue and the effect of AAU basketball on transferring, those " advantages" are gone.

Last edited:
I believe Alter also had a player maybe 2 transfer in from Springboro!!!!
Alter’s AD had blank NIL checks for everyone and I believe blackmailed and/or kidnapped these players and forced them to play for them. These players went to a situation academically and athletically that their families thought was best for them and it worked out. Whether they chose the Alter system in kindergarten or in high school everyone made the choice to go where they felt was best for them. Isn’t that what life is all about?

Alter’s AD had blank NIL checks for everyone and I believe blackmailed and/or kidnapped these players and forced them to play for them. These players went to a situation academically and athletically that their families thought was best for them and it worked out. Whether they chose the Alter system in kindergarten or in high school everyone made the choice to go where they felt was best for them. Isn’t that what life is all about?
He's just supplying the facts, he never said right or wrong and never agreed or disagreed with their decision. Get your wadded up underwear pulled out.

From cleveland.com:

Buckner transferred last year to La Lumiere in Indiana. Joyce also lost then-sophomores C.J. Little and later Carter Jackson to Garfield Heights. He could have had all three on this team, but found new guards to pick up the pace and take the Wildcats (26-3) on a run to their first state championship since 2001 and a school record for victories in a season.

Two years ago, Centerville beat Ignatius 65-33 in the semis. I'm sure some of the posters would think that that would spur the school to go out an recruit great players from other schools, but...................no. They lost three starters and still did it with their own.

From cleveland.com:

Buckner transferred last year to La Lumiere in Indiana. Joyce also lost then-sophomores C.J. Little and later Carter Jackson to Garfield Heights. He could have had all three on this team, but found new guards to pick up the pace and take the Wildcats (26-3) on a run to their first state championship since 2001 and a school record for victories in a season.

Two years ago, Centerville beat Ignatius 65-33 in the semis. I'm sure some of the posters would think that that would spur the school to go out an recruit great players from other schools, but...................no. They lost three starters and still did it with their own.

I heck I was there when Centerville ran iggys out the gym that year. Granted. we also had a few transfers on the roster.

I believe Alter also had a player maybe 2 transfer in from Springboro!!!!
Actually, it was one player. And that player grew up in the feeder school throughout grade school and junior high. He went to a public school for high school and decided he preferred being with the kids he grew up with in school. Next excuse...

From cleveland.com:

What?

Ignatius has several transfers on their team lol.. Post the roster and where each player attended junior high and/or when they transferred to Ignatius.