Private vs. Public

I know this has been talked about for years but this is what is wild with high school sports and the unfair advantages that schools have. I will live on the hill that public and private should only come together in the state championship.

A Public School coach has to figure out how to win with kids in their city limits and has to keep the program building from 2-12th grade. The only way to "recruit" is for kids to physically move into the city limits unless you have open enrollement but still public schools get questioned about recruiting even if they follow the steps.

Private schools have "signing days" and get multiple players from many districts, counties, and even different states (Saw this happen on social media yesterday). The state says you can go private then back to your home school which is an advantage for private schools because all they have to say is "come here and see if you like it, if you do not; go back to your district"

I wanted to see other solutions. If this has been talked about too much, I will delete the post.

I get it....but coming from a public school district with multiple state titles....and never had one open enrollment kid or one transfer I can promise you that the kids here who are keeping up the basketball tradition would much rather "beat the best" then get a title of "Public School Champion"....knowing they may or may not have had to beat the best team statewide in their division to win the title, public or othewise. I know it's different in some situations....but when a team is used to scheduling anyone anywhere during the regular season to prepare for the tourney, they aren't afraid of playing anybody if that's what it takes to win a title.

I know this has been talked about for years but this is what is wild with high school sports and the unfair advantages that schools have. I will live on the hill that public and private should only come together in the state championship.

A Public School coach has to figure out how to win with kids in their city limits and has to keep the program building from 2-12th grade. The only way to "recruit" is for kids to physically move into the city limits unless you have open enrollement but still public schools get questioned about recruiting even if they follow the steps.
Shouldn't you also have a different set of rules for public schools who have open enrollment and accept kids from other districts?

And perhaps another set of rules for public schools like Dublin, Olentangy, Mason, Lakota, etc. who have endless numbers and resources compared to public schools from the urban cities?

Also, haven't many of the recent basketball state champions been public schools? Seems like they are competing VERY well.

The D1 Basketball championship has had really good mix of schools win titles over the past 20+ years. You had private, inner city, mid-size and large suburban's take home hardware in that time. It is actually more even than football.

Private schools have "signing days" and get multiple players from many districts, counties, and even different states (Saw this happen on social media yesterday). The state says you can go private then back to your home school which is an advantage for private schools because all they have to say is "come here and see if you like it, if you do not; go back to your district"

I wanted to see other solutions. If this has been talked about too much, I will delete the post.
80% of public schools have some form of open enrollment.

I think this is an interesting discussion. Seems that we are accelerating the number of schools that can amass talent. Doesn't seem to be any defining characteristic of the type of school as they are happening all over the state. The one common theme is that talented players are finding paths to join other talented players to form super teams.

I think this is an interesting discussion. Seems that we are accelerating the number of schools that can amass talent. Doesn't seem to be any defining characteristic of the type of school as they are happening all over the state. The one common theme is that talented players are finding paths to join other talented players to form super teams.
No doubt. Public school Richmond Heights is exhibit A.