Preliminary volleyball divisions.

zski71

With the new preliminary 7 divisions posted, the only big girls private to stay D1 is Seton. St Joseph, Cin St Ursula, Magnificat, Mt Notre Dame to D2, Cin Ursuline, Tol St Ursula to D3. There will be a vote to allow teams to opt up to D1.

Last edited:

With the new preliminary 7 divisions posted, the only big girls private to stay D1 is Seton. St Joseph, Cin St Ursula, Magnificat, Mt Notre Dame to D2, Cin Ursuline, Tol St Ursula to D3. There will be a vote to allow teams to opt up to D1.
I personally do not believe teams should be allowed to move. It's likely to cause uneven numbers.

Assuming it holds as is, the GGCL could (in theory) win state titles in 4 divisions.
--
Division I: Colerain, Fairfield, Hamilton, Lakota East, Lakota West, Lebanon, Mason, Middletown, Milford, Oak Hills, Princeton, Seton, Springboro, Sycamore, Walnut Hills, West Clermont.

Division II: Anderson, Edgewood, Harrison, Kings, Little Miami, Loveland, Mount Notre Dame, St. Ursula, Winton Woods.

Division III: Badin, Goshen, Monroe, Mt. Healthy, Northwest, Purcell Marian, Ross, Talawanda, Turpin, Ursuline, Western Brown, Wilmington, Withrow, Woodward.

Division IV: Batavia, Bethel-Tate, CHCA, Clinton-Massie, Gamble, Indian Hill, Madison, McNicholas, Mercy McAuley, North College Hill, Roger Bacon, Shroder, Taft, Taylor, Wyoming.

So the Division VII regional tourney will break down like this:

NW Ohio (5) and SW Ohio (3) will combine for 8 teams. Who goes to the SW bracket will be interesting.

Central (1), SE Ohio (3), East (2) and NE Ohio (2) will combine for 8 teams.

Hands down favs will be Tiffin Calvert and Fort Loramie. Lets hope they break it up so they don’t meet until the finals. Otherwise we could have an ugly final.

Assuming it holds as is, the GGCL could (in theory) win state titles in 4 divisions.
That would be something.
I get your point about moving to D1 because the proposal being voted on doesn't allow backfilling the othe divisions. If 6 teams went D1 from to, you would have 72 teams in D1 and just 58 in D2. It will be an interesting vote.

They have to let these teams move up to D1 or you are going to have the same teams winning the State Championship every season at each division. You can't have the best teams in the state playing at lower divisions. That will be a bad look for Girls HS Volleyball in the State of Ohio. No one is beating SUA or MND at the D2 level, it isn't happening. No one will come close to beating Ursuline in D3. D4 looks okay and might even be the most competitive in the State, but the top three divisions will be a runaway train with the same couple teams winning state every year.
It is going to look so stupid when D2 and D4 are the best divisions in the State.

They have to let these teams move up to D1 or you are going to have the same teams winning the State Championship every season at each division. You can't have the best teams in the state playing at lower divisions. That will be a bad look for Girls HS Volleyball in the State of Ohio. No one is beating SUA or MND at the D2 level, it isn't happening. No one will come close to beating Ursuline in D3. D4 looks okay and might even be the most competitive in the State, but the top three divisions will be a runaway train with the same couple teams winning state every year.
It is going to look so stupid when D2 and D4 are the best divisions in the State.

You have seemingly the same two teams (Ursuline and MND) representing SW Ohio in D1 nearly every year for a decade and no one considers it “stupid”.

You have seemingly the same two teams (Ursuline and MND) representing SW Ohio in D1 nearly every year for a decade and no one considers it “stupid”.
Before, it was one parochial league dominating one division - now you have that same league dominating several divisions - the unintended consequences of this decision

Mercy McCulley looks to be switching to the MVC, interesting.

MND and Ursuline have been dominant at D1, but it was only one division. Spread those teams out and now they start dominating multiple divisions, that is not going to be good.

Get the best teams in the same division and let them slug it out, but spreading them out is going to be a disaster

Before, it was one parochial league dominating one division - now you have that same league dominating several divisions - the unintended consequences of this decision
Nothing will change concerning who makes it to the Final 4 from Cincy in D1-4. If the power schools don’t move up to division 1. It’ll be the same teams that typically make it. What I’m curious to see is how they will separate the 64 teams into regions.

Kings was a special group, it’ll be many years before you see that type of talent on one public school team. I do think it’s great that Kings can lay claim to the last public school and last true big school division 1 champion before it split to seven levels.

Mason HS is about the only school who has a chance to do it…if they can retain their athletes.

If the referendum passes to allow schools to move up to D1 each year, I could see a MND or SUA choosing to move up because of a better matchup against Seton in a particular year.

I have not taken a look to see where all the MAC schools moved to that will affect the lower divisions. Overall we will be crowning 7 total champs and the names all be familiar. The good schools will be good, and everybody else will just be complaining about the new system.

I’m also curious of how they’re going to run the first 2 to 3 rounds of the tournament. I always Looked forward to being able to catch a bunch of different games, that may be a little more difficult now

Nothing will change concerning who makes it to the Final 4 from Cincy in D1-4. If the power schools don’t move up to division 1. It’ll be the same teams that typically make it. What I’m curious to see is how they will separate the 64 teams into regions.

Kings was a special group, it’ll be many years before you see that type of talent on one public school team. I do think it’s great that Kings can lay claim to the last public school and last true big school division 1 champion before it split to seven levels.

Mason HS is about the only school who has a chance to do it…if they can retain their athletes.

If the referendum passes to allow schools to move up to D1 each year, I could see a MND or SUA choosing to move up because of a better matchup against Seton in a particular year.

I have not taken a look to see where all the MAC schools moved to that will affect the lower divisions. Overall we will be crowning 7 total champs and the names all be familiar. The good schools will be good, and everybody else will just be complaining about the new system.

I’m also curious of how they’re going to run the first 2 to 3 rounds of the tournament. I always Looked forward to being able to catch a bunch of different games, that may be a little more difficult now
With Mason - are you saying that they have a chance to win state or just get our of the region? The brutal fact is Mason hasn't won a tourney game in years, their winning % outside the league since 2020 is under 31% yet when is the last time they lost a league game - 5-6 years ago? The GMC is just not competitive in volleyball. A good reason to want to jump to D1 in R4 as all of the GMC is D1

I would be shocked if MND doesn't move up in all sports if the referendum passes as they are not backing away from anyone - UA too if they can. SUA is a toss up as they have won in both D2 & D1 throughout their volleyball history. You would think the other Ohio parochial schools that have traditionally competed in D1 that are now D2 would move up too

With Mason - are you saying that they have a chance to win state or just get our of the region? The brutal fact is Mason hasn't won a tourney game in years, their winning % outside the league since 2020 is under 31% yet when is the last time they lost a league game - 5-6 years ago? The GMC is just not competitive in volleyball. A good reason to want to jump to D1 in R4 as all of the GMC is D1

I would be shocked if MND doesn't move up in all sports if the referendum passes as they are not backing away from anyone - UA too if they can. SUA is a toss up as they have won in both D2 & D1 throughout their volleyball history. You would think the other Ohio parochial schools that have traditionally competed in D1 that are now D2 would move up too
I was basing it off the size of Mason high school, and the fact that they have lost top players to the GGCL in the past.

It is true that they have lost in the tournament early the last few years. I guess we’re all getting old, 2017 season is the distant past for sure.

Centerville has had some very good players and teams last four years, but they’re still not at the same level as the GGCL schools.

That would be nuts if both MND and SUA moved up to division one, but I highly doubt both of them would do that. If I was SUA I would be just fine playing division two and competing for state championship each year.

Overall, the Columbus public area schools play better volleyball than most of the big Cincinnati public schools.

I was basing it off the size of Mason high school, and the fact that they have lost top players to the GGCL in the past.

It is true that they have lost in the tournament early the last few years. I guess we’re all getting old, 2017 season is the distant past for sure.

Centerville has had some very good players and teams last four years, but they’re still not at the same level as the GGCL schools.

That would be nuts if both MND and SUA moved up to division one, but I highly doubt both of them would do that. If I was SUA I would be just fine playing division two and competing for state championship each year.

Overall, the Columbus public area schools play better volleyball than most of the big Cincinnati public schools.
That 2017 Mason team was crazy good - it was just unfortunate that they just couldn't get over the hump against UA & MND the prior year. That team definitely had some talent as well as other schools in the GMC

If you have ever been to MND's gym and seen the walls of state banners, if they can choose, I don't think they want a D2 champ hanging in there (BTW they are D2 in soccer too)

What is this all about?
Only two things I can think of is Mercy doesn't think they can compete with the other four all girls schools because because they are by far the smallest school in the GGCL and their enrollment continues to shrink. They won D2 Vball this season but they lost a lot of talent and more likely to get thrashed in GGCL moving forward. I heard this might happen last week and then heard it is happening last night.

Mason and Lebanon have a lot of talent on their rosters coming back for 2024. I will throw Loveland in the mix as well. Loveland has one of the best Setters in the State and they have several other Club players on the team that play in the Open Division.

It will be an interesting to see which way these public schools vote
If you are a public school in D1 you are voting no, but if you are a public school in D2, D3, D4, and D5 you are voting yes. The smaller public schools want no part of these private schools in their division and why would they?

If you are a public school in D1 you are voting no, but if you are a public school in D2, D3, D4, and D5 you are voting yes. The smaller public schools want no part of these private schools in their division and why would they?
Do you think the disdain for the parochial schools could cloud their judgement thinking it could give them those schools and "edge" each year?

Mason and Lebanon have a lot of talent on their rosters coming back for 2024. I will throw Loveland in the mix as well. Loveland has one of the best Setters in the State and they have several other Club players on the team that play in the Open Division.
A little early to be talking next year but

- Lebanon lost a D1 setter & D1 hitter (main go to) - is their pipeline that full to backfill this?

- Not so sure with Mason - they have some holes to fill plus you still have to look at the track record of the last 3-4 years. Playing against weak teams in the GMC probably isn't helping the cause.

- Loveland should be one of the favorites to win the ECC (which has been the best public school league in the city the past couple of years) & should make some noise in the tourney especially if the GGCL schools move up

Last edited:
Do you think the disdain for the parochial schools could cloud their judgement thinking it could give them those schools and "edge" each year?
From a player and parent standpoint I don't get the sense there is a strong disdain for the private schools, at least in the Cincinnati area. All of the best players play Club together and I think in most cases the ties to Club are stronger than school ball. But school administrators is a whole different game. We have seen multiple coordinated efforts by the Public school ADs/Coaches to manipulate ratings with their voting in an effort to get an edge on the Private schools.

From a player and parent standpoint I don't get the sense there is a strong disdain for the private schools, at least in the Cincinnati area. All of the best players play Club together and I think in most cases the ties to Club are stronger than school ball. But school administrators is a whole different game. We have seen multiple coordinated efforts by the Public school ADs/Coaches to manipulate ratings with their voting in an effort to get an edge on the Private schools.
Probably disdain was too strong of a word maybe but maybe the public schools would prefer to see the parochials not get any perceived advantages

I agree with you with having several kids play club sports, team parents support the other girls playing for their high schools but there were parents on my daughters teams with girls in public schools (& not Kings) and teammates on the parochial schools in the tourney that were extremely happy that Kings won R4 & State last year. (Same thing with Seton & MND soccer not winning State this year :))

Just think it is just a natural competitive environment of public vs private - it is healthy at times but it is a reality that, at times, the parochials do "incentivize" athletes in public grade schools to switch schools - happens with both girls & boys

From my experience I felt like the parochial leagues for grades 3-8 are better organized and provide more opportunities which is why there are a lot of public school kids playing in the parochial leagues as Parishioners. Having said that I do think the public middle school leagues have gotten better.

In general there are a lot more public school kids opting for private high schools than parochial kids choosing to attend public high schools. And now with the changes in Ed Choice I think we are going to see some of the private schools having to cap their enrollment. One interesting thing we are seeing in Cincinnati are the All Boys and Co-Ed private high schools are continuing to see an increase in enrollment while a couple of the All-Girls private high schools are experiencing a decline in enrollment.

There were certainly a lot of Kings supporters this past season in their run for a State title and the stars aligned perfectly for it to happen. That Kings team was loaded with a number of college d1 athletes but we all know the Head Coach is probably the biggest reasons so many families from across the city showed to support Kings. I don't know if there is a better person in the volleyball community than Coach Amanda.

but there were parents on my daughters teams with girls in public schools (& not Kings) and teammates on the parochial schools in the tourney that were extremely happy that Kings won R4 & State last year.
Believe me, many of us "parochials" were also happy to see Kings win.

GCL fans (and GGCL fans) of one school, do not root for GCL fans of the other school.

We are "friendly rivals" for a reason.

Believe me, many of us "parochials" were also happy to see Kings win.

GCL fans (and GGCL fans) of one school, do not root for GCL fans of the other school.

We are "friendly rivals" for a reason.
I can only assume you are a grown a** man.

Do you really carry around the same hate as a grown a** man as you did as a 16-year-old roaming the halls of Elder (which I assume based on your posting history)?

Let it go, man, it's not normal. As a grown a** man, you really are still hoping for the demise of schools like Moeller and St X (and St Ursula and Ursuline and MM and MND)? Really?

Really????

How is this still a thing with the Elder blowhards? I'm actually very intrigued at how this can still be a thing????????

Mercy McCulley looks to be switching to the MVC, interesting.

MND and Ursuline have been dominant at D1, but it was only one division. Spread those teams out and now they start dominating multiple divisions, that is not going to be good.

Get the best teams in the same division and let them slug it out, but spreading them out is going to be a disaster
Lake Catholic handled all that D1 smoke last year. The rest of the State will live with possibility of elevating their game to compete. Iggy used to kick Southern Ohios butt in football and eventually that changed. Now they just do it in Hockey, Soccer, and Hoops.

Hubris.