POY in Ohio

VBFAN24

As the season winds down, who is leading the pack for POY? In the South there are many in the running including: Meyer from X, Maune and Bianco from Elder, Patterson from Moe, and Wheatley from Walnut. The West has Culpepper, Buirley, and Rings. Not sure about the North or the East. At this point I am not sure who can beat out Halverson from Badin in D2.

As the season winds down, who is leading the pack for POY? In the South there are many in the running including: Meyer from X, Maune and Bianco from Elder, Patterson from Moe, and Wheatley from Walnut. The West has Culpepper, Buirley, and Rings. Not sure about the North or the East. At this point I am not sure who can beat out Halverson from Badin in D2.
In the west I think it’s between Culpepper and Buirley. I wanna say that Buirley is a very devastating blocker and attacker. But Culpepper is also very solid as well. I think I give the edge to Buirley because he’s the best player on the best team.

It’s always hard to pick the player of the year. I’d say your choices in no specific order for D1
Maune
Meyer
Buirley
Bianco
Culpepper
Any other players I’ve missed?
Kolwicz?

Last edited:
Was looking at stats from today that have been posted and noticed that in Badin’s 5 set loss to Beavercreek, Halverson is only listed as playing 3 sets. Hope he’s okay if it’s an injury; would hate to see such a dominant season be cut short.

In the west I think it’s between Culpepper and Buirley. I wanna say that Buirley is a very devastating blocker and attacker. But Culpepper is also very solid as well. I think I give the edge to Buirley because he’s the best player on the best team.
I wouldn't sleep on Moser from Northmont in the west. Has had a really strong senior year. Rings from Centerville would have been there had it not been for some poorly timed illness and injury. His stats are some of the strongest in the west if you look at it per set. But this really probably comes down to Culpepper and Buirley with the nob going to Buirley who is on the best team in the West.

Last edited:
I wouldn't sleep on Moser from Northmont in the west. Has had a really strong senior year. Rings from Centerville would have been there had it not been for some poorly timed illness and injury. His stats are some of the strongest in the west if you look at it per set. But this really probably comes down to Culpepper and Buirley with the nob going to Buirley who is on the best team in the West.
Wouldn't count out Rings even with the injuries and illness. His worth to that team has probably only increased in the eyes of onlookers given their performances when he's been out. His per set stats should also lend their viability to him being considered.

I think POY means different things to different people but if your not the regional player of the year you can’t be State POY. So basically it will be 1 of 4 people.
Example Buirley or whoever wins the West and and so on down the line.
Stats, eyeball test and most likely the guy that’s the best player on the best team should win that award. That’s my opinion.
You do have exceptions to the rule. (Last year was that example) Should be interesting but more excited to see how the entire tournament plays out.

I think POY means different things to different people but if your not the regional player of the year you can’t be State POY. So basically it will be 1 of 4 people.
Example Buirley or whoever wins the West and and so on down the line.
Stats, eyeball test and most likely the guy that’s the best player on the best team should win that award. That’s my opinion.
You do have exceptions to the rule. (Last year was that example) Should be interesting but more excited to see how the entire tournament plays out.
i don't believe they give out a POY in the region. there are 7 players on first team in no specific order. i believe anyone that makes first team all-region can be voted for POY in the state.

There are regional players of the year. It goes to the highest ranked player and is listed seperately as POY.

i don't believe they give out a POY in the region. there are 7 players on first team in no specific order. i believe anyone that makes first team all-region can be voted for POY in the state.
There are regional POYs and the order of the first, second and HM teams are all in a specific order based on coaches’ votes. They may be posted to social media and in other places in alphabetical order, but there’s certainly an order.

There are regional POYs and the order of the first, second and HM teams are all in a specific order based on coaches’ votes. They may be posted to social media and in other places in alphabetical order, but there’s certainly an order.
yes, there's an "order" but there's no distinction (at least in the South Region or that's what i was told) given to one player as POY. However it looks like they do put (POY) next to that player's name on the Regional Award winners (looking at past years). i am quite certain that any player that makes first team can be considered for state POY and not just the regional POY and i stated that to debunk the post that said only one player from each region is considered for state POY. sorry for the confusion.

yes, there's an "order" but there's no distinction (at least in the South Region or that's what i was told) given to one player as POY. However it looks like they do put (POY) next to that player's name on the Regional Award winners (looking at past years). i am quite certain that any player that makes first team can be considered for state POY and not just the regional POY and i stated that to debunk the post that said only one player from each region is considered for state POY. sorry for the confusion.

I think the poster said that only regional POYs SHOULD be considered (as in that's his/her opinion) not could.

Culpepper in the West. Haven't heard about South. Has to be Maune, right?
Hmm. Hear me out on this one. i get it the kid is very good, very polished. But lost to Centerville both at home and at their place? If you are POY i think you at least win one of those matches. I know it is a team sport, but I have seen big time players force their will on matches. I think that's why I would've went Buirley over Culpepper...but, as always, what do I know?

Something doesn’t seem correct. Based on the information from the above. Maybe a coach didn’t vote or voted other players higher?