Postgame Discussion: Moeller 24 Colerain 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

CardinalsFan

This was a great game between two very good football teams. It came down to Colerain's misfire on special teams and Moeller's excellent play by their OL.

Good luck to the Crusaders the rest of the way.

-CardinalsFan

Moeller didn't do anything too cute on offense...they ran the ball up the gut a majority of the game and it worked as I thought it would...worked in the scrimmages they had the past years.

Moeller defense stepped it up and didn't let the high powered Redbird O get into the end zone.

Officiating..questionable on both sides...but hardly an excuse for either team.

Wizzer's Player of the Game: Moeller Offensive Line and 3# the Northwestern commit

Last edited:
First of all.....Congtats to Moeller on winning region 4 and taking down the Cards.

Secondly......Where do they find these refs? Bad calls I thought on both sides of the ball. At least they were equally terrible for both teams.

Thirdly...Not sure why Colerain wasnt using LA out of the shotgun earlier in the game. This has been the answer for keeping defenses honest and not focusing primarily on the triple. Work LA from the gun and let him sling it around or run for the stix...Whichever the defense gives. I thought the play calling for Colerain tonight was way below par and it was too late by the time they went from the gun. It was just a real shame to see a kid with an arm like LA to be shackled by the triple every play until the fourth qtr.

Okay I'm finished Monday morning quarterbacking.......Theres always next year for the Cards...

Good luck Moeller and hope you bring back the trophy.....Please leave Moe-Doosh in Canton if you get there............

i still cant figure out the physics of #3 for Moe.....he is only 175lbs and i swear to you he gets hit by 2 or 3 kids who are 210+ and he carries them a couple yards....first time watching either team this year, and i couldnt get over how strong he was on top of his speed. wow

Great Game overall.

Good luck next week MOE

Congrats to the Cards...great season.

I really do not under stand why the other thread was closed...how are we supposed to torgue on the dudes that abused us???

Hey Rosco...now or later? GBM! BPN!

Thirdly...Not sure why Colerain wasnt using LA out of the shotgun earlier in the game. This has been the answer for keeping defenses honest and not focusing primarily on the triple. Work LA from the gun and let him sling it around or run for the stix...Whichever the defense gives. I thought the play calling for Colerain tonight was way below par and it was too late by the time they went from the gun. It was just a real shame to see a kid with an arm like LA to be shackled by the triple every play until the fourth qtr.
I think Middletown fans ask themself the same questions the last two years with their QB. The triple is great if you have a front line of absolute studs who can dominate the line of scrimmage every single play, like the '04 Colerain team did. You will win alot of games running the ball 90-95% of the time but when you get in the playoffs and you are one dimensional that's when it causes problems. I think Centerville fans know what I'm saying also. You have to have balance to make a run to the state in region 4 unless you have a team like the '04 Cards. Nothing wrong with the season Colerain had (or the seasons Centerville has had recently and Middletown last year either) but at some point you need balance unless you have the Washington Redskins 'hogs'. If the other team knows what you are going to do great playoff defenses will shut it down.....JMO

I think Middletown fans ask themself the same questions the last two years with their QB. The triple is great if you have a front line of absolute studs who can dominate the line of scrimmage every single play, like the '04 Colerain team did. You will win alot of games running the ball 90-95% of the time but when you get in the playoffs and you are one dimensional that's when it causes problems. I think Centerville fans know what I'm saying also. You have to have balance to make a run to the state in region 4 unless you have a team like the '04 Cards. Nothing wrong with the season Colerain had (or the seasons Centerville has had recently and Middletown last year either) but at some point you need balance unless you have the Washington Redskins 'hogs'. If the other team knows what you are going to do great playoff defenses will shut it down.....JMO

Well said.

Moeller was 3/9 passing for 40 yards no TDs and 2 INTS. Their defense really stepped up huge tonight and their O-line and running back really must've been great. I hope Moe can figure out that passing game before next week though.

i still cant figure out the physics of #3 for Moe.....he is only 175lbs and i swear to you he gets hit by 2 or 3 kids who are 210+ and he carries them a couple yards....first time watching either team this year, and i couldnt get over how strong he was on top of his speed. wow

Great Game overall.

Good luck next week MOE

Keith Watkins is a monster and he carried a load tonight with 33 carries and a reception for almost 225 yards of total offense. Great Agility, very deceptive strength, and good speed. Northwestern wants to put him at corner but with the way he runs the ball I see it as a mistake. Put 15 to 25 lbs of muscle on him and he'd be a great college running back.

Moeller came out and proved who they were in this game. Great play at all positions. The O line really shined. Special teams were awesome. Excellent clock management and time of possession. Watkins is a beast. Just good football with only a couple mistakes.

Now for some trash talk... Moeller is Moeller. And always will be Moeller. They're in it every year. You can't count them out... ever. I heard Colerain had some shirts printed up that said "GMC and GCL Champs!" Well, you guys wont be needing those. Just go ahead and drop 'em off over on Montgomery Road.

Moeller was 3/9 passing for 40 yards no TDs and 2 INTS. Their defense really stepped up huge tonight and their O-line and running back really must've been great. I hope Moe can figure out that passing game before next week though.

Moeller didn't really need to pass, there were a couple of drops, and the first INT was a pass right into the breadbasket of a receiver that was bobbled into the hands of a defender. Moeller can pass if they want to.

Coming into the season conventional wisdom lead to Moeller being considered the top D1 school in the area and after an up and down season it has turned out to be true. I don't think anyone can argue it. At one point a good number of Moe posters were calling for Rodenburg's head. Now he has them playing their best football at the most critical time and he deserves credit for that. And they have an outstanding Senior class and that also makes a difference. Moeller has a very good chance to end the Cincinnati State Title drought.

Last edited:
1 ? i had during the game, when the Moe qb made a highlight reel leap over a defender on the goal line....i thought thats a penalty? bc he didnt dive he hurdled. Can anyone explain this?

1 ? i had during the game, when the Moe qb made a highlight reel leap over a defender on the goal line....i thought thats a penalty? bc he didnt dive he hurdled. Can anyone explain this?

Between last week and this week, it really seems Colerain fans (win or lose) really like to complain about the refs.

Between last week and this week, it really seems Colerain fans (win or lose) really like to complain about the refs.

If you have been paying attention, "some" Colerain fans make complaining about refs their life's work. The truth is that some fans of whatever team complains about refs every week; they seem to notice the bad calls against their team and rationalize the bad calls against the other team.

The only rule against "Leaping", "hurdling" I can think of is a NCAA one on blocking a kick[you can "leap" but only is you do not land on a player]. There isn't one for NFHS; but I am not a ref.

Im thinking that the refs judgment was the defender dove at the ball carrier which may make the leap/hurdle legal.

Im thinking that the refs judgment was the defender dove at the ball carrier which may make the leap/hurdle legal.

I have never seen a BALL CARRIER get called for a penalty on hurdling or leaping over a defender in high school. I have seen players hurdling or leaping over defenders countless times.
Is this a new rule?

I have never seen a BALL CARRIER get called for a penalty on hurdling or leaping over a defender in high school. I have seen players hurdling or leaping over defenders countless times.
Is this a new rule?

Yea, its some b.s. rule that the state really hammered at the meetings this year from what i hear. Trying to make the game safer, i guess. I was told by a friend it was supposed to be a instant dead ball and dont know what he said as far as penalty yardage, we were discussing it at the beginning of the season. I have a friend that coaches DIV and he said they told him that rule and he has kids who try to hurdle every game and never seen it called. So maybe its a myth!?!!??

Is this a new rule?

Maybe the defenders should quit trying to cut the knees of the runner with head down and start hitting and tackling. Or...maybe a little butthurt because 7 was a little more"athletic". Speed kills?? Really...how does Coerain let a baseball player go 75 on a punt return??? GBM! BPN! :)

ps...great job boys! still have work to do! #paintstategold!

Yea, its some b.s. rule that the state really hammered at the meetings this year from what i hear. Trying to make the game safer, i guess. I was told by a friend it was supposed to be a instant dead ball and dont know what he said as far as penalty yardage, we were discussing it at the beginning of the season. I have a friend that coaches DIV and he said they told him that rule and he has kids who try to hurdle every game and never seen it called. So maybe its a myth!?!!??

I stand corrected; here it is.
It is possible that our state federation does not use this rule; because, I have never seen it called.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-FrzeIO0fg

Rule 9.43d
In 2012, the committee had requests to change the hurdling rule and eliminate it as a foul. By definition: “Hurdling is an attempt by a player to jump (hurdle) with one or both feet or knees foremost over an opponent who is contacting the ground with no part of his body except one or both feet.” This is an Illegal Personal Contact foul and carries a 15-yard penalty. Recently, national and local media have identified some of these plays at the collegiate and professional levels as “spectacular feats” and glorified the individual’s athletic ability instead of pointing out the heightened potential for harm. Little regard has been given to the fact that attempting to “hurdle” a defender increases the risk of injury to both the hurdler and tackler! The NFHS SMAC requested that this rule not be changed and backed up its request by showing several incidences where players were severely injured while attempting this act! The NFHS Football Rules Committee concurred with the SMAC and did not change the hurdling rule. In addition, to focus on the dangers associated with hurdling, it has been included as a Point of Emphasis for the 2012 season. The emphasis on this illegal act supports the committee’s ongoing attempt to minimize the risk of injuries in high school football. Coaches must teach their players of the inherent dangers associated with this illegal act, and game officials must call it when observed

Is this a new rule?

That was a spectacular play. You can leap over defenders all you want the issue is that it usually doesn’t work!

BTW, I thought the Moe QB managed the game brilliantly. He gained some very critical yardage running the ball off the option read in the 1st half. His only mistake was the INT when he threw the ball late back to the middle of the field. His first INT was in fact a magnificently thrown ball with beautiful touch that hit a Moeller back in his hands while in full stride. The fact it bounced off the kids hands into a Colerain DB’s hands was just very bad luck.

To me Moeller is peaking at just the right time. You see this in the pro’s (think last year’s Giant team) a lot. Frankly, there are two seasons in Ohio – the regular season where your only goal is to make the playoffs and the post season where a talented team gets hot and wins the whole enchilada. Think St. I back in 2001.

I thought Colerain played well defensively – holding Moeller to only 17 points but their special teams struggled which IMO was the difference. The playoffs are very cruel and most years the deeper you go the more likely any defect, no matter how slight, will be exposed.

The Colerain fans should be very proud of their team. Going 12 – 1, winning the GMC and making it to the Regionals is a heck of a season. Beating X twice in the same year is also no small feat.

Good luck to Moeller the rest of the way. Don’t overlook the Region 3 champ and bring back the D1 trophy.

Maybe the defenders should quit trying to cut the knees of the runner with head down and start hitting and tackling. Or...maybe a little butthurt because 7 was a little more"athletic". Speed kills?? Really...how does Coerain let a baseball player go 75 on a punt return??? GBM! BPN! :)

ps...great job boys! still have work to do! #paintstategold!

Who the f are you talking to??

Thanks for clearing that up termite. On a side note i hope Region 4 brings it back!

You mean balanced like say a Hilliard Davidson? They never throw the ball and have recently won several state titles. They are very predictable and yet they win.

Also, you run the triple when you DON'T have a good offensive line. That is one of the reasons it was created. When you DO have a good offensive line, you just line up and run over teams.......... like Moeller does.

Status
Not open for further replies.