Police arrest hit-skip driver who fatally struck a cyclist

As much grief as I give cyclist I would not want that to happen. With that being said, I think they need to cycle on roads with bike lanes or stick to the parks.

Sounds like alcohol was a factor. I've ridden that road countless times and have never had an issue. Police have noted the same....
"In my 18 years of law enforcement, I have not seen an accident of this nature on this stretch of road. It's always been safe for bicyclists," Sgt. Jeff Brown said.

Why do you guys pick the most treacherous rds? I have always wondered, their has to be some reason....and it can't be 'just to pizz me off'

It shouldn't be a problem on Roundbottom on a clear day. It's a long road, not incredibly busy, that allows plenty of opportunities for drivers to pass safely. You can ride out and back on Roundbottom and get about 30 miles in. It's an ideal road if you aren't sharing it with a drunk driver.

Sounds like alcohol was a factor. I've ridden that road countless times and have never had an issue. Police have noted the same....

Sorry to hear about this cyclist's passing. Apparently the driver who struck him had 3 prior DUIs. I still think that the idea of having a drinking license - separate from a driver's license - would be a better way of handling problem drinkers than merely taking away their drivers' licenses.

Sorry to hear about this cyclist's passing. Apparently the driver who struck him had 3 prior DUIs. I still think that the idea of having a drinking license - separate from a driver's license - would be a better way of handling problem drinkers than merely taking away their drivers' licenses.

How would this work ?

The news story I read said it was his 7th OVI.

He had the proper head lamp and tail light.

It's a damn shame the man is dead. Fault and blame are one thing, but they don't change the fact that bicycling on the roads is a calculated risk. The risk is obviously greater in any circumstance where driver visibility is reduced, whether by terrain or time of day. It could have just as easily been a texter or a tired driver as a drunk, unfortunately.

Pretty much the response I'd expect to see from you after a redneck drunk runs over and kills a cyclist.

Seriously? OK. Let me restate it... if you're going to ride a curvy, country like road... dark may not be the best time for that. There's calculated risks, and then there's asking for trouble. There's no bike lane on that road, it's dark, it's curvy... I'm not saying I don't feel bad for the guy. I'm just saying maybe that wasn't a prudent thing to do.