PLAYOFF CHAMPS ONLY

Which McKinley championship was the best?
I would say the 1981 title because, even though that was a very good team, the win was unexpected by everyone outside of McKinley. And, that was my senior year.

The 1997 team probably had the greatest challenge...St. Ignatius was a ranked in the top #5 nationally and McKinley beat them twice. Both times in unlikely fashion...

Regular season:

State semi-final:

I would say the 1981 title because, even though that was a very good team, the win was unexpected by everyone outside of McKinley. And, that was my senior year.

The 1997 team probably had the greatest challenge...St. Ignatius was a ranked in the top #5 nationally and McKinley beat them twice. Both times in unlikely fashion...

Regular season:

State semi-final:
Wasn't McKinley's 1997 team #1 in the nation?

1993. SCC 17, Liberty Center in OT. DV State championship game.
Winning points came from a FG. Regular place kicker injured during the Crusaders overtime offensive series. Kid who made the kick had zero attempts the entire season. Dead red down the middle.
You rather diplomatically omitted the fact that the above mentioned situation only happened, IMHO, because of one of the dumbest coaching decisions of all-time. :) That FG certainly bailed the Crusaders' coach out.

You rather diplomatically omitted the fact that the above mentioned situation only happened, IMHO, because of one of the dumbest coaching decisions of all-time. :) That FG certainly bailed the Crusaders' coach out.
Don’t leave us hanging…

Kirtland has been a bit of a thorn in Marion Local's side. It's a little frustrating as a Marion Local fan lol. Kirtland actually has a losing record to the MAC conference as a whole in state title games (3 wins and 4 losses) but oddly enough Marion Local is the only MAC team with a losing record against the Hornets. Granted, we are the only MAC team that has played Kirtland more than twice. It's safe to say, Marion Local fans wouldn't mind seeing Kirtland again (I know...be careful what we wish for).

For me, I look back on the 2001 state title game as one of Marion Local's finest moments. I recall in 2000, after knocking off conference rival and state power Delphos St. John's, the Mogadore fans perhaps were breathing a sigh of relief that they didn't have to face the Blue Jays. Marion Local went on to win their first state title 54-0 over Mogadore. That brings us to 2001 and the rematch with another undefeated Mogadore squad. I remember seeing some "unfinished business" signs on the Mogadore side. Because Marion Local was a newcomer to this scene, there was some doubt around the state about how legitimate they were. Maybe the previous year was a fluke. The Flyers went on to beat Mogadore in the rematch 63-7 leaving no doubt that something special was brewing in Maria Stein.
Seems like Goodwin should have let up on Mogadore a bit until you consider what they did to St. Henry when they were up by 35 to 3...you can bet Goodwin watched that game and was told a hundred times don't let off the gas if your up, that team won't quit!

Don’t leave us hanging…
Well....In a rather sloppy game it was 7-7 in the middle of the 4th Q when the SCC QB ran a draw, bounced outside and outran the LC defense for a 65-70 yard TD. They added the PAT to take the lead 14-7. LC then drove all the way to the SCC 10-yard line where the Crusaders stopped them with about 1:45 left in the game. Three plays later it's 4th and one at the SCC 19-yard line with about 40-45 seconds to play.

As I remember it the Crusaders' HC came into the huddle before the 4th down play. I'm thinking maybe they are going to try to draw LC offside. In any case they line up to punt and snap the ball to the upback who gets stopped short of the 1st down. I think the upback was the same kid that kicked the FG in OT but I am not positive of that. I understand that there is a chance there could be a bad snap, blocked punt, etc. if you punt but there is also a chance if you run a fake that you get stuffed and give the ball to your opponent on your own 19-yard line with less than 40 seconds to play in a state championship game! That's what happened.

LC threw a short TD pass with about 10-15 seconds left and added the PAT for the tie. LC won the toss for OT and went on defense. As the Baron said SCC's kicker got hurt running some kind of option reverse pass play I think and then they faced a 4th down. They kicked the FG. LC took over and on the first play SCC forced a fumble and that was it. I want to say the snap was bobbled and then the QB got hit trying to handoff but I may be wrong on that.

Subsequently an SCC guy told me that while the kid that kicked the FG did not have a single attempt that season he had been their kicker the previous two years. He also said the HC gave the team the option to call for the fake punt if they thought they could convert. However it went down, to me it was a just a terrible call and of course it's on the HC. Punt the ball and make the team drive the field with less than 40 seconds and no TOs. I don't think they had a TO anyway.

Six years later Ironton did almost the exact same thing against Sandusky Perkins but they only led 14-10 at the time. They got stuffed on 3rd & 4th down at their own 29-yard line with right around 45 seconds to play. Perkins took over and threw a TD pass to win 16-14 in regulation. I do seem to remember that Ironton was having some kind of trouble with their punt team earlier in that game. They also had those two big power backs and I'm sure they felt they could get a yard anytime but it backfired on them also.

Well....In a rather sloppy game it was 7-7 in the middle of the 4th Q when the SCC QB ran a draw, bounced outside and outran the LC defense for a 65-70 yard TD. They added the PAT to take the lead 14-7. LC then drove all the way to the SCC 10-yard line where the Crusaders stopped them with about 1:45 left in the game. Three plays later it's 4th and one at the SCC 19-yard line with about 40-45 seconds to play.

As I remember it the Crusaders' HC came into the huddle before the 4th down play. I'm thinking maybe they are going to try to draw LC offside. In any case they line up to punt and snap the ball to the upback who gets stopped short of the 1st down. I think the upback was the same kid that kicked the FG in OT but I am not positive of that. I understand that there is a chance there could be a bad snap, blocked punt, etc. if you punt but there is also a chance if you run a fake that you get stuffed and give the ball to your opponent on your own 19-yard line with less than 40 seconds to play in a state championship game! That's what happened.

LC threw a short TD pass with about 10-15 seconds left and added the PAT for the tie. LC won the toss for OT and went on defense. As the Baron said SCC's kicker got hurt running some kind of option reverse pass play I think and then they faced a 4th down. They kicked the FG. LC took over and on the first play SCC forced a fumble and that was it. I want to say the snap was bobbled and then the QB got hit trying to handoff but I may be wrong on that.

Subsequently an SCC guy told me that while the kid that kicked the FG did not have a single attempt that season he had been their kicker the previous two years. He also said the HC gave the team the option to call for the fake punt if they thought they could convert. However it went down, to me it was a just a terrible call and of course it's on the HC. Punt the ball and make the team drive the field with less than 40 seconds and no TOs. I don't think they had a TO anyway.

Six years later Ironton did almost the exact same thing against Sandusky Perkins but they only led 14-10 at the time. They got stuffed on 3rd & 4th down at their own 29-yard line with right around 45 seconds to play. Perkins took over and threw a TD pass to win 16-14 in regulation. I do seem to remember that Ironton was having some kind of trouble with their punt team earlier in that game. They also had those two big power backs and I'm sure they felt they could get a yard anytime but it backfired on them also.
I was getting ready to mention Perkins -Ironton in 99 IV title game. You saved me the hassle

I was getting ready to mention Perkins -Ironton in 99 IV title game. You saved me the hassle
When Ironton stopped Perkins on their 10-yard line and took over on that last possession I thought that they would be able to get a couple of first downs and run out the clock. They got one first down but after Mr. Henry got stuffed on that 3rd and one play, I thought they should punt. When I saw them line up to go for it my first thought was the 93 SCC-LC game. Sure enough. The difference was that SCC had a 7-point lead when they did it.

He was a big risk/big reward coach. In 2005 he faked the typing PAT and the holder rolled out and dove into the end zone for the 2 point conversion with about a buck to go in the state semifinal game against Newark Catholic. SCC wins 36-35.

Post script. When I got back on the bus the HC father was seated in the front. I knew who he was. There weren't a lot of other folks who did because the majority of people getting on the bus talked about how dumb the play call was given the situation. I thought there could be a problem but his dad didn't say a word.

End of the day that state championship trophy is still on display in the case on the 1st floor of Catholic Central.

Last edited:
He was a big risk/big reward coach. In 2005 he faked the typing PAT and the holder rolled out and dove into the end zone for the 2 point conversion with about a buck to go in the state semifinal game against Newark Catholic. SCC wins 36-35.

Post script. When I got back on the bus the HC father was seated in the front. I knew who he was. There weren't a lot of other folks who did because the majority of people getting on the bus talked about how dumb the play call was given the situation. I thought there could be a problem but his dad didn't say a word.

End of the day that state championship trophy is still on display in the case on the 1st floor of Catholic Central.
Interesting back story. Your screen name is SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!

As far as the 2005 NC game I don't think it is comparable at all. In that game, if I remember correctly, SCC trailed by 7 with about 1:00-1:30 left in the game when they scored. I think the Crusaders' HC felt they probably couldn't win in OT so he took the risk of the 2-point conversion for the reward of winning in regulation. In that 93 LC game there was really no reward for the risk. He already had the reward IMO. If they execute the fake punt, OK the game is over, SCC wins. If they execute the punt the game is also virtually over, SCC wins. IMO he took a huge risk for very little reward as he already had the win without taking the risk of a fake punt. I agree that it worked out but that does not change my opinion that it was a dumb call.

Perhaps his father didn't say anything because he also thought it was a dumb call. :)

Speaking of the 1999 Ironton-Perkins game and the heart breaking loss for Ironton reminds me that the Ironton-Wauseon title game preceded the SCC-LC game in 1993.

Talk about heart breakers. Ironton trailed Wauseon 10-7 in the 4th. The Tigers went on a long drive from their own 20 to inside the Wauseon 10 but they had a procedure penalty that really hurt them and then on 3rd down Wauseon stopped them on the 1-yard line. Decision time for coach Lutz. Go for the TD and the lead or the tying FG. He kicked the FG to tie it.

There was still about 3:30 left in the game when Wauseon got the ball at about their 25-yard line after the KO. Mr. Griggs and Mr. Milne led the Indians down to about the Ironton 20-yard line with 6 seconds left. They tried the FG but missed as time expired during the play. I saw the PK go down but I wasn't sure if an Ironton player hit him or if he flopped trying to draw the flag. Then the flags flew. Roughing the kicker. Zero time but penalty on the D = one more play. Given a 2nd chance and the penalty yardage the kid made the FG and Wauseon won 13-10. Great game to watch as a neutral fan, tough loss for Ironton.

Last edited:
As far as the 2005 NC game I don't think it is comparable at all. In that game, if I remember correctly, SCC trailed by 7 with about 1:00-1:30 left in the game when they scored. I think the Crusaders' HC felt they probably couldn't win in OT so he took the risk of the 2-point conversion for the reward of winning in regulation. In that 93 LC game there was really no reward for the risk. He already had the reward IMO. If they execute the fake punt, OK the game is over, SCC wins. If they execute the punt the game is also virtually over, SCC wins. IMO he took a huge risk for very little reward as he already had the win without taking the risk of a fake punt. I agree that it worked out but that does not change my opinion that it was a dumb call.

Perhaps his father didn't say anything because he also thought it was a dumb call. :)

Speaking of the 1999 Ironton-Perkins game and the heart breaking loss for Ironton reminds me that the Ironton-Wauseon title game preceded the SCC-LC game in 1993.

Talk about heart breakers. Ironton trailed Wauseon 10-7 in the 4th. The Tigers went on a long drive from their own 20 to inside the Wauseon 10 but they had a procedure penalty that really hurt them and then on 3rd down Wauseon stopped them on the 1-yard line. Decision time for coach Lutz. Go for the TD and the lead or the tying FG. He kicked the FG to tie it.

There was still about 3:30 left in the game when Wauseon got the ball at about their 25-yard line after the KO. Mr. Griggs and Mr. Milne led the Indians down to about the Ironton 20-yard line with 6 seconds left. They tried the FG but missed as time expired during the play. I saw the PK go down but I wasn't sure if an Ironton player hit him or if he flopped trying to draw the flag. Then the flags flew. Roughing the kicker. Zero time but penalty on the D = one more play. Given a 2nd chance and the penalty yardage the kid made the FG and Wauseon won 13-10. Great game to watch as a neutral fan, tough loss for Ironton.
That is a rough way to lose one.

Would like to see some CHAMPIONS hoisting the trophy! 1999 Walsh Jesuit
Screenshot_20220629-175740_YouTube.jpg

Would like to see some CHAMPIONS hoisting the trophy! 1999 Walsh Jesuit
View attachment 31151

Love that picture. 4 players from this team are in the Walsh Jesuit Athletic Hall of Fame: Justin Alaburda, Paul Jones, Dan Basch, and the vowel-less Chad Frk. All of them played college sports. Alaburda started on the 1999 WJ state champion baseball team as a P and 1B and played football at Wooster. Jones was an OHSAA state wrestling champion (Team and Individual) and wrestled at Harvard. Basch was the starting C on the same state championship baseball team and was a 4 year starter in football at Akron University. Frk was the starting SS on the 1999 state champion baseball team and played baseball at Illinois and was captain his senior year there.
They've all been successful post-athletics. Alaburda and Jones are attorneys and Frk is in finance. Basch works for his family jewelry business.

Last edited:
Please, discuss your schools finest moments in a Championship game.
Why would you start this thread? You asked for Playoff Champions only. Is that why we haven’t heard any great memories of playoff championship caliber football at vasj? Too bad the merger with St. Joseph didn’t happen a year sooner. Maybe when you guys merge with Cleveland Central Catholic in the future some new memories can be made.

Glenville brought vasj back down to reality last season. It will be fun watching Benedictine do it this year.

Why would you start this thread? You asked for Playoff Champions only. Is that why we haven’t heard any great memories of playoff championship caliber football at vasj? Too bad the merger with St. Joseph didn’t happen a year sooner. Maybe when you guys merge with Cleveland Central Catholic in the future some new memories can be made.

Glenville brought vasj back down to reality last season. It will be fun watching Benedictine do it this year.
Thanks for inquiring about JOES' CHAMPIONSHIP game from 1989. We actually WON that game on special teams. Punt return for a TD, directional punting on every punt that gave unfavorable field position to Fostoria, and a kickoff, to start the second half, that was mis-handled and downed inside the 10, which led to a fumble recovery for a TD.
Fostoria had a RB named McBeth, who was outstanding, and a QB named Kidwell, who was young, but, I believe won the Mr. Football award at some point.
Thanks for your interest in the VIKINGS and REAL CHAMPIONS.
You have your own. We would like to here about them.
Mo taura na bitu ni vakatagi. Be well.

Thanks for inquiring about JOES' CHAMPIONSHIP game from 1989. We actually WON that game on special teams. Punt return for a TD, directional punting on every punt that gave unfavorable field position to Fostoria, and a kickoff, to start the second half, that was mis-handled and downed inside the 10, which led to a fumble recovery for a TD.
Fostoria had a RB named McBeth, who was outstanding, and a QB named Kidwell, who was young, but, I believe won the Mr. Football award at some point.
Thanks for your interest in the VIKINGS and REAL CHAMPIONS.
You have your own. We would like to here about them.
Mo taura na bitu ni vakatagi. Be well.
St. Joseph is closed unlike Lake Catholic. I would like to hear about the storied tradition of Villa Angela-St. Joseph football.