Peter Santenello in Holmes County Ohio

Auggie

So a good friend turned me on to a YouTube Channel where this guy, Peter Santenello, has interactions with different communities and shares his experiences in simply edited videos with no political agenda. Some are fairly boring but most are very cool and shed some light on what average folks are like in some very different communities. His most recent adventure is to Ohio where he imbeds in with the local Amish community. Below is the first video with more to come.

A couple of his better subjects are Saudi Arabia, Hasidic Jews, 'Hoods, and life along the US/Mexico border. Not flashy but then again if they were they would be edited to be entertainment and it would skew the content, these are more about learning different cultures.

Last edited:

So a good friend turned me on to a YouTube Channel where this guy, Peter Santenello, has interactions with different communities and shares his experiences in simply edited videos with no political agenda. Some are fairly boring but most are very cool and shed some light on what average folks are like in some very different communities. His most recent adventure is to Ohio where he imbeds in with the local Amish community. Below is the first video with more to come.

A couple of his better subjects are Saudi Arabia, Hasidic Jews, 'Hoods, and life along the US/Mexico border. Not flashy but then again if they were they would be edited to be entertainment and it would skew the content, these are more about learning different cultures.
Thanks for sharing. I frequent Holmes County, specifically going to Keim Lumber in Charm to buy bat billets. Really interesting and enlightening to watch the video and learn about the culture. I've always commented that I have never seen a police car in Holmes County.

They have some good baseball players in that area also...specifically the kids from Berlin Hiland and West Holmes....seen and coached many in the Wayne County Fall League.

Thanks for sharing. I frequent Holmes County, specifically going to Keim Lumber in Charm to buy bat billets. Really interesting and enlightening to watch the video and learn about the culture. I've always commented that I have never seen a police car in Holmes County.

They have some good baseball players in that area also...specifically the kids from Berlin Hiland and West Holmes....seen and coached many in the Wayne County Fall League.
Who do know you mentioned the only two high schools in Homes county. That it there are no more and only one of the two has high school football.

Who do know you mentioned the only two high schools in Homes county. That it there are no more and only one of the two has high school football.
Didn't realize that there were only two high schools in Holmes County. Makes since with the population density/mix. Not going to say "who" I know as I am still coaching in the WCFBB league and it would be in poor taste to name kids anyway. All I can say is that those two schools, for being in rural areas, seem to have their fair share of good players.

They have great HS athletes, just look at the boys and girls basketball records at Berlin Hiland. How many schools do you know that feel they do not have a good season if they do not make the final four in the state?

He does a lot of videos in NYC where I live.

One of his Hasidic Jew videos took place in a part of Brooklyn that I frequent often. If you want to experience real culture shock in the USA, then that's the the type of place that you should go to.

He has hung out in the projects in Brooklyn and in the south Bronx too. I don't really watch his NYC videos because I have nothing to learn from them but they're good for outsiders.

I spent a lot of time down there as a kid as my mom's family was from Holmes County. It is a far different place now than it was then. Back in the day you could go from Millersburg to I-77 on 39 and all you'd pass that was much noticeable was the Berlin House Restaurant. You had Der Dutchman in Walnut Creek and Das Essenhaus in Shreve and not a whole lot else restaurant wise around the county. While their basic living hasn't changed the Amish have become increasingly business savvy in the last 40 years and have taken great advantage of the tourist boom. They have bought up much of the forested land in the western part of the county to do their hunting while farming the eastern part of the county. The property prices have gone through the roof.

Was in Berlin on Wednesday dropping off a few bats to kids and picking up some billets from Keim. On the way home, right around 5:00pm, I came upon stopped traffic on Route 241 less than a half mile from Kidron Road. I was about 10 cars back and could see some Amish gathering on both sides of the road. After a couple minutes, I heard what I was certain was a gun shot. A couple minutes later, traffic on my side started moving and I passed what I feared. There was a horse lying dead in the opposite lane along with various automobile parts. Hopefully no others were hurt in this accident. One of the worst things I have ever seen, broke my heart.

A note to all, please drive extra careful when traveling in Amish country, especially tourists.

Next up Peter heads to Dearborn to do a series on US Muslims.

Again very unfiltered and there is a lot of basic discussions but a couple of interesting points that I took away:

• The misogynistic aspect like women cannot drive is not religious based but more culturally. In particular they call out the Gulf States like Saudi and UAE.
  • Most are very happy about living in the US and identify as Americans just as much as Muslims.
  • All that have been to Europe say Europe is much more biased against Muslims than the US. So much for Europe being this great Progressive utopia.

Now in Chicago. The below is getting some good pub as it really takes a good non-partisan look at the corruption that is rampant in Chicago:

One of his best episodes, a must watch if you want to know why the idea of a Sanctuary City is not working.