Pet Peeves with Travel Softball

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
My pet peeves with travel softball:

1. 8AM games (or sometimes earlier). This is especially true for the Fall Ball games when it's usually cold and wet most of the morning.
2. Subs that are significantly better and play primary spots. Play with your team. If you bring a sub on, bat them at the end of the lineup. The paying girls deserve more respect.
3. Constant recruiting of new players. Always looking to add a better player instead of working with your own.
4. Constant movement of players. Playing for a new team every year means that the player or parent is most likely the problem...not all those coaches that "didn't know anything."
5. Time limits. I understand it makes more money for the TD and gives teams a chance to play more games but I prefer an old-fashioned 7-inning game. Worst thing about it is the bottom hitter gets far fewer at-bats than the leadoff hitter. Play 30 7-inning games instead of 60 3-inning games and that differential gets cut in half.
6. Trophy chasers. A tournament is listed as B/C and a big name organization A team shows up with players from 3 different states on the roster.

What are your pet peeves?

JamesCW

Parents that pay for their daughter to play and then think that since they are on a travel team that they will get to go to college for free because they are so GOOD.

Smarty2022

Guest Players and some supposed “Showcase” Events. Saw 1 of these a few weeks ago. 90 minute Time Limit, and No Run Rule. Watched a 16U Team get drilled twice as Home Team. They gave up around 40 Runs in 2 Games that I watched. No College Coaches at the event. Basically was a Showcase in name only.

Thavoice

The bend over and take it without lube mentality of tournament directors toward the families in how they fleece them at every trurn.

NewOldBlood

Tournaments that charge $800-1000 for team fees and then charge families $25 or more per person to attend for the weekend.

The 8am games in the fall suck, but the ones in mid-July aren't too bad.

I don't mind time limits. I get the necessity, but I hate drop dead rules and reverting back to the last inning. You should always finish an inning that has started. Obviously 7 inning games are far better and truer to the sport, but no way should we expect TD's to sacrifice half their draw. Good teams should get at least 5 innings in with a 90 minute time limit.

Smarty2022

Tournaments that charge $800-1000 for team fees and then charge families $25 or more per person to attend for the weekend.

The 8am games in the fall suck, but the ones in mid-July aren't too bad.

I don't mind time limits. I get the necessity, but I hate drop dead rules and reverting back to the last inning. You should always finish an inning that has started. Obviously 7 inning games are far better and truer to the sport, but no way should we expect TD's to sacrifice half their draw. Good teams should get at least 5 innings in with a 90 minute time limit.
Drop Dead Time Limit plus high entry fee definitely has $$$ grab written all over it!