Pandora- Gilboa situation

falcon6766

Pandora- Gilboa currently sits 5-4, the rockets beat Vanlue earlier this season and play 0-8 Cory Rawson this Friday, 10/22. As of now, PG is 17th in region 26 (firmly on the bubble). Cory Rawson and Vanlue were supposed to play this past Friday (10/15), but for some reason re-scheduled their game for 10/29 which is week one of the playoffs. Is this allowed? Whether it is or not, if Pandora is left out of the playoffs after week 10 by a minuscule number, what about the points they would get from whoever wins between Cory Rawson and Vanlue, no matter how few points PG gets? Can't really award playoff points ex post facto.

This is assuming PG beats Cory (a pretty safe bet). and don't dismiss PG as a 15/16 seed not being able to compete- look at the game last week against D5 power Liberty Benton.

Not just PG, but what about all of the other schools who have beaten Vanlue and Cory Rawson? It may not decide who will get into the playoffs, but could possibly affect a seeding position.

Last edited:

Pandora- Gilboa currently sits 5-4, the rockets beat Vanlue earlier this season and play 0-8 Cory Rawson this Friday, 10/22. As of now, PG is 17th in region 26 (firmly on the bubble). Cory Rawson and Vanlue were supposed to play this past Friday (10/15), but for some reason re-scheduled their game for 10/29 which is week one of the playoffs. Is this allowed? Whether it is or not, if Pandora is left out of the playoffs after week 10 by a minuscule number, what about the points they would get from whoever wins between Cory Rawson and Vanlue, no matter how few points PG gets? Can't really award playoff points ex post facto.

This is assuming PG beats Cory (a pretty safe bet). and don't dismiss PG as a 15/16 seed not being able to compete- look at the game last week against D5 power Liberty Benton.

Not just PG, but what about all of the other schools who have beaten Vanlue and Cory Rawson? It may not decide who will get into the playoffs, but could possibly affect a seeding position.
1) yes, it is allowed.

2) any “regular season” games that occur after week 10 will not be counted for playoff seeding or point purposes.

Are teams allowed to play regular season games after the playoffs begin? Yes. They were afforded the opportunity to schedule additional games after the regular season ended last year and are allowed to do so again this year in order to allow teams to make up for games cancelled primarily due to COVID-related issues. However, no team may play more than 10 regular season games.

Because the Vanlue-CR game will be played after the playoff field has been determined, no computer points will be awarded. Instead, Pandora-Gilboa's final level 2 divisor will reflect the fact that Vanlue and Cory-Rawson only played 9 games apiece during the 10 weeks prior to the date that the playoff field was determined. The other teams that played Vanlue and Cory-Rawson will have their level 2 divisors adjusted in the same manner.

Go back to game #2 against Bluffton. They did everything they needed to do and missed a short FG in regulation. P-G has been playing well as of late with a young bunch.

Basically CR saved Vanlue from getting kicked out of the BVC for now. The whole thing is fishy, talking to people of the BVC.

As one of the founding members of the BVC, Vanlue isn't going anywhere except if they choose to. That is a time-honored tradition in the BVC.

Which is why Leipsic made the right decision to leave the BVC. The coach even said, instead of having running clock games 3-4 times a year, this year they have to strap it on every week, all game. The Vikings will be battle-tested going into the playoffs this season and I expect them to go far in D7.

The system has some major flaws. If teams can cancel due to whatever reason "Covid" and hurt others computer points then teams rated highly and guaranteed to make the playoffs could conceivably cancel their game to get key players healthy or avoid a bad injury all the while still making the playoffs and even earn a home game round 1. Is it time to add a human element to the playoff rankings that gives the OHSAA the ability to use computer points and a committee human rankings and factor that committees ranking into the final ranking? Don't just rely on a computer system. Just my opinion. It's time for some changes.

Vanlue should be sent packing. No business playing 11 man football let alone in the BVC. NWCC or 8 man football and the league should hold a vote tomorrow to get rid of them.

The system has some major flaws. If teams can cancel due to whatever reason "Covid" and hurt others computer points then teams rated highly and guaranteed to make the playoffs could conceivably cancel their game to get key players healthy or avoid a bad injury all the while still making the playoffs and even earn a home game round 1. Is it time to add a human element to the playoff rankings that gives the OHSAA the ability to use computer points and a committee human rankings and factor that committees ranking into the final ranking? Don't just rely on a computer system. Just my opinion. It's time for some changes.
We saw how the human element went last season, and it was pretty bad.

As one of the founding members of the BVC, Vanlue isn't going anywhere except if they choose to. That is a time-honored tradition in the BVC.

Both Rawson AND Mount Cory were in the original Hancock County League, yet Cory-Rawson basically was forced out.

Hardin-Northern was a charter member of the actual BVC, yet they were kicked out.

I want to know want dirt Vanlue has on the rest of the league, because it's ridiculous they're treated as some super important legacy member while others were forced to leave. IF the BVC ever does die, it'll be their idiotic loyalty to a school that shouldn't exist anymore that does them in.

Vanlue should be sent packing. No business playing 11 man football let alone in the BVC. NWCC or 8 man football and the league should hold a vote tomorrow to get rid of them.

And the day after the NWCC should hold a vote saying no thanks, at least if you insist on playing football.

It's over, and the only people who don't realize it are the parents and boosters.

Which is why Leipsic made the right decision to leave the BVC. The coach even said, instead of having running clock games 3-4 times a year, this year they have to strap it on every week, all game. The Vikings will be battle-tested going into the playoffs this season and I expect them to go far in D7.

Like last year, when all 3 of their running clocks were losses?

Honest question- going forward can you REALLY say Elmwood, LB, Arlington, and McComb isn't on the same level as the top half of the NWC? PG is a pretty solid 5th. Van Buren has had their random good years. It's just Riverdale and Vanlue. Kinda like how the NWC is solid 1-5, has Bluffton as an ok 6, and has the dumpster fires at Jefferson and Ada right now. The only difference is those 2 have had success in the past and you'd think they could again.

Like last year, when all 3 of their running clocks were losses?

Honest question- going forward can you REALLY say Elmwood, LB, Arlington, and McComb isn't on the same level as the top half of the NWC? PG is a pretty solid 5th. Van Buren has had their random good years. It's just Riverdale and Vanlue. Kinda like how the NWC is solid 1-5, has Bluffton as an ok 6, and has the dumpster fires at Jefferson and Ada right now. The only difference is those 2 have had success in the past and you'd think they could again.
Couldn't agree more, when the bottom of the league is CR and Vanlue it makes the league look pretty bad, but the top is still competitive with the local small school leagues. You mentioned VB, they played for a regional championship as recently at 2015, so while down, they aren't to far removed from competitiveness.
In regards to why Vanlue isn't kicked out and a school like HN is, well HN spent 20 years giving every team in the league and atomic wedgy, then their numbers dropped (still higher then Vanlue) and they did actually cancel games the rets of the leauge was annoyed. I think as long as Vanlue can run out a varsity squid on Fridays, most of the league views it as a Bye week which can be needed during the season. Additionally, the way the league is set up, LB has not played Vanlue since 2013.

Couldn't agree more, when the bottom of the league is CR and Vanlue it makes the league look pretty bad, but the top is still competitive with the local small school leagues. You mentioned VB, they played for a regional championship as recently at 2015, so while down, they aren't to far removed from competitiveness.
In regards to why Vanlue isn't kicked out and a school like HN is, well HN spent 20 years giving every team in the league and atomic wedgy, then their numbers dropped (still higher then Vanlue) and they did actually cancel games the rets of the leauge was annoyed. I think as long as Vanlue can run out a varsity squid on Fridays, most of the league views it as a Bye week which can be needed during the season. Additionally, the way the league is set up, LB has not played Vanlue since 2013.

Fair enough on Vanlue, but has CR cancelled on anyone? I got the sense that they weren't given the boot, but we're strongly asked to look for other opportunities. I could be wrong of course, but it just doesn't have the best optics. CR at least has past success and better numbers. Just feels like they're playing with fire with Vanlue and one of these years will get burnt bad. I'd be at least attempting to talk them into 8 man in exchange for staying in the conference in other sports, then looking for an 8th football/9th full member.

Also to any Leipsic fans, I hope my last post didn't come off as calling Leipsic a bad program or that they made a bad move. The NWC is a solid league that, once they got rid of their Perry and USV problem, has been a rock of consistency. Leipsic has been a good D7 NW Ohio program.. It made sense to jump and I'm sure you all are and will continue to be happy. I'm just not sure the NWC is far and away better.

That is a great question on CR, when it happened the school made it sound like they were seeking better athletic options, but of course that could have just been cover for "we got kicked out". It does not appear CR cancelled a game last year, although they did opt out of their playoff game, but then played 3 more "regular" season games afterwards

Ok, not any good at math. But did PG get screwed?
had there been a Vanlue v. CR game woild they have made the playoffs?

Ok, not any good at math. But did PG get screwed?
had there been a Vanlue v. CR game woild they have made the playoffs?

They ended up 3 L2's short of HN's L2 total, with the same L1 and a lower L2 divisor. The lower divisor means even with the SAME L2, PG would have made it. They would have gotten 3.5 L2 if the game had been played.

So yep, that's what kept them out. Had the game been played, they'd be at 7.41, compared to Hardin-Northern's 7.25.

Well that is in fact Poopy, sucks to miss the playoffs for that reason. I tend to defend the BVC as an old time player, but this is unacceptable. The league needs to get their in order, remove the schools that can’t play varsity football (actually only Vanlue at this point) and perhaps ask Fostoria to join. A D5 that sucks at football would be a nice harbin win for everyone.

More proof that Leipsic made the right choice getting out of the BVC.....7-3 ranked #5 in the same region as Pandora. PG was 6-4, 1 game difference between the 2 schools, and one is a 5 seed and one doesn't make the playoffs. Nothing against the rockets, they had a chance to beat Liberty Benton and had 2 early losses against undefeated Columbus grove and a Bluffton team that was at full strength.

I don’t know it means that Leipsic should have left, it does mean that the OCC of the remaining schools sucked.
most years the final 8 of the region was 3 BVC schools

Go back to game #2 against Bluffton. They did everything they needed to do and missed a short FG in regulation. P-G has been playing well as of late with a young bunch.
37 yard field goal is a short field goal for high school?

37 yard field goal is a short field goal for high school?
No, it's not. I was on the direct opposite end of the field on that attempt and thought that the ball was spotted ten yards closer than it actually turned out to be. Good catch.