#PACtion™ 2024

I work for someone who's husband played for Lee Corso at Indiana in the mid 70's. He can't stand Lee Corso even to this day.

Writing the phrase "can't stand" reminds me of my ex-wife and ex GF's. None of whom have a free beach house at Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina, or a Master's Degree from the prestigious Xavier University.

I thought I'd add that.
The Goldbergs Eating GIF by ABC Network
:(

This came up at work today and I think it's a great question for PACtion™. Where did your Head a Coaches come from?
(Football, Wrestling, Basketball, Track, Baseball)

Which school has the highest percentage of homers? Who has the most transplants?
Tuslaw's basketball coach came from the Washington Generals class of '82:

1714158238376.png

So what should Manchester expect? All we've heard from the Northwest crowd is how lucky we are to have the Northwest alum and we don't deserve him.

Now don't be mistaken, I've firmly stated I support him and think he did a good job in his first year. The reality is that team was very close to a few more wins last year than they got. They were better than that 1-9 record. They have nearly everyone back, graduated only three seniors that got much playing time. It is Manchester and there are expectations.
This is the problem. Should the Browns have expectations because of all the championships they won in the 50s?

Everyone from Manchester thinks they're some staple football program in Ohio.....did you win a lot of games with France, yes, yes you did.....ya went to 1 state finals and another final four. You carry a record of 23-27 in 27 total playoff appearances.

Now, those 27 appearances are enough to be tied for 18th most appearances all-time in the state! Did you also know that Manchester is THE ONLY TEAM in the top 18 all-time appearances with a LOSING record in the playoffs? The next closest record is 34-26 with 1 championship.

In fact, all other 18 teams ahead of Manchester hold a combined playoff record of 1063-489 with 78 state titles.

Moral of the story - Manchester and France spent a lot of time winning meaningless games against lesser opponents and when the lights came on, and it was time to win big games (playoff games) they just flat out haven't gotten it done.

So let's all stop acting like Manchester has this historic championship winning tradition it MUST uphold - take a nice shot of reality, and give a promising young coach more of a chance/opportunity than 2 freaking years. He took over a team that went 0-10....year 2 "expectations" should be 5-5 and if he somehow manages to do that or even do better than that - be super happy and excited.

This is the problem. Should the Browns have expectations because of all the championships they won in the 50s?

Everyone from Manchester thinks they're some staple football program in Ohio.....did you win a lot of games with France, yes, yes you did.....ya went to 1 state finals and another final four. You carry a record of 23-27 in 27 total playoff appearances.

Now, those 27 appearances are enough to be tied for 18th most appearances all-time in the state! Did you also know that Manchester is THE ONLY TEAM in the top 18 all-time appearances with a LOSING record in the playoffs? The next closest record is 34-26 with 1 championship.

In fact, all other 18 teams ahead of Manchester hold a combined playoff record of 1063-489 with 78 state titles.

Moral of the story - Manchester and France spent a lot of time winning meaningless games against lesser opponents and when the lights came on, and it was time to win big games (playoff games) they just flat out haven't gotten it done.

So let's all stop acting like Manchester has this historic championship winning tradition it MUST uphold - take a nice shot of reality, and give a promising young coach more of a chance/opportunity than 2 freaking years. He took over a team that went 0-10....year 2 "expectations" should be 5-5 and if he somehow manages to do that or even do better than that - be super happy and excited.
I'd rather have high expectations in life than just hope to get by. The right mindset precedes success. I never want to expect to just be average.

@Rich Kotite and anyone else with a deep #PACtion heritage or just general love for and knowledge of HS football around these parts, did you ever think you'd see the day where there are no grass fields in Stark County??? Seems crazy, but I believe with the Slaw's installation, that was the last remaining grass field, unless I am forgetting any.
You are correct...Tuslaw is the last one....heck last time Lake played on grass was Nov 2013

Well.....some good news. The people at the Courtyard by Marriott at Belden Village love Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys. He's donated artwork to the hotel. Jerry's into paintings & art beyond football.

A waiter at The Twisted Olive on 241 said Troy Aikman is a nice guy.

Staff at the Columbus Airport liked Brent Musburger who would walk through the airport drinking a stiff drink (in the days before super security).

Coolest NFL guy I ever met was former Bengals coach Sam Wyche. So smart, so nice, funny, just a cool dude. And Cleveland hated him, LOL.
Ray Nitschke was a funny guy...and Roger Staubach bought me a beer!...and people have asked me for my autograph....they thought I was Marty Schottenhimer...lol

I'd rather have high expectations in life than just hope to get by. The right mindset precedes success. I never want to expect to just be average.
The guy flipping burgers at Mcdonalds this year is not in line to be CEO by next year....it takes time...

And I don't mean to unload all the fury on you - it's just the Manchester coaching carousel since France retired and the non-stop complaining about the coaches from the manchester faithful is old. If ya'll gave a coach 3-4 years and he still wasn't winning - fine, totally get it. But most people hated the hire from the beginning and don't want to give Stacy a chance - and that's BS.

Excerpt from job offer "We're going to offer you the job, but while we were Ofer last year, but we expect to be hosting playoff games by year 2. Understand?"

Coach:
Uh Huh Whatever GIF by Travis
Well, I'd figure you'd gotta be the top 16 in the region at least. Another 0-10, 1-9 and that will tell ya what you need to know about the future. The expectations aren't to win the region nor be in the top part of it. But, as a panther grad who has expectations of winning (I and all my teammates were and demanded it of ourselves) so shall it be. Yes be frank, losing is just not acceptable. Can't take that? Maybe this job isn't for you. The pancake factory in Brewster might be more of the place for you. TOUGH.

To think my parents in the mid 70's when they moved to PACtion™ Country looked at a home in a Brewster subdivision. Thankfully for all involved they passed.
It could have been even worse for me. When my mom and dad were looking to move out of Akron in the early 60s, they wanted to build on lakefront in the Portage Lakes. Green, Coventry, and the part of Franklin Township that was home to the Manchester School District surround the lakes. My mom was in love with a lot on East Reservoir in Coventry Township. My father, an avid fisherman, vetoed that and instead purchased a lot on Rex Lake in the Manchester School District because the fishing was better on Rex Lake. That's right, the fishing was better. Good thing my dad was willing to risk his marriage over the quality of angling because it allowed me to escape becoming a Comet and to be a Panther.

Few people know that after her failed 2024 Republican Presidential primary campaign Nikki Haley was elected to the Manchester Board of Education after receiving a large donation from Boeing and promising to "bomb Canal Fulton into the stone ages."*

*Not Carrollton.

View attachment 57903
Nikki reportedly had a few affairs in her private life. Send her to Smoove. Keep her outta New Franklin. We like our women to be faithful good girls.

Nobody on this forum indicated he had to be 10-0, pac champs, etc. The argument was we need to see clear lines of improvement. My argument was if they hover around the same type of record and don't make a 16 team playoff, I feel ya gotta go. Also, we all knew the last coach, who was in his mid 60s (not trying to be ageist here for my older friends), wasnt gonna cut it. During my day we beat a lot of high profile teams and I was on that state run. We beat everyone and only lost to state champs 3 years in a row. That's not to shabby.
I'm giving Stacy a chance. I'm not nocking him, not at all. But, 2 years is enough to see what you are working with. I am pulling for the guy, am on his side wishing him the best. But hard decisions need to made sooner than later if given the CORRECT information (improvement, kids getting better, injuries?, relationship with school and parents, etc).

It could have been even worse for me. When my mom and dad were looking to move out of Akron in the early 60s, they wanted to build on lakefront in the Portage Lakes. Green, Coventry, and the part of Franklin Township that was home to the Manchester School District surround the lakes. My mom was in love with a lot on East Reservoir in Coventry Township. My father, an avid fisherman, vetoed that and instead purchased a lot on Rex Lake in the Manchester School District because the fishing was better on Rex Lake. That's right, the fishing was better. Good thing my dad was willing to risk his marriage over the quality of angling because it allowed me to escape becoming a Comet and to be a Panther.
Brad Paisley, I'm gonna miss her comes to mind

No one is rooting against Coach Stacy and Manchester fans are more than willing to give him enough time to build his program. That said, there are expectations and it is because of the history.

To call all those wins meaningless is insulting to the coaches, the players, and the community. You play games for a purpose, to win. For a long time we played games in Ohio with no playoffs, or with limited playoffs with very little chance of qualifying. The regular season is all we had. Either they count or the don't. If they don't, then why play them at all?

Since 1941 when Manchester fielded its first football team, the school has won roughly 70 percent of its games. Show me a school that wouldn't love to have that kind of winning percentage over more than 80 years.

For years before there was such a thing as competitive balance, Manchester played in regions chock full of schools that played in DIV or DV with DI level talent on their rosters. How they qualified for those regions has been debated for years, but since they were in our region, we had to play them. In many cases we lost in the first or second round of the playoffs to teams that were state finalists or state champions. In some cases, you could argue that the actual state championship had been played in Week 1 or Week 2 of the playoffs.

In my quick reading of available history, in the playoffs Manchester has lost to the eventual state champion at least seven times; a state finalist four times, and a state semi-finalist three times. So, in roughly 50% of the years Manchester has qualified for the playoffs, they've been knocked out by a team that reached the Final Four.

There's a lot to be said for getting to the postseason. There's a lot to be said for winning consistently. And there are certainly any numbers of communities who would love to be in Manchester's shoes.

So, yes, there are expectations. There are also a lot of people with good football knowledge who follow the program and they know it will take time to rebuild. Usually, I have a lot of respect for your posts; they're typically well thought out. That one wasn't

I'm glad somebody else can see this, you're spot on

Well, I'd figure you'd gotta be the top 16 in the region at least. Another 0-10, 1-9 and that will tell ya what you need to know about the future. The expectations aren't to win the region nor be in the top part of it. But, as a panther grad who has expectations of winning (I and all my teammates were and demanded it of ourselves) so shall it be. Yes be frank, losing is just not acceptable. Can't take that? Maybe this job isn't for you. The pancake factory in Brewster might be more of the place for you. TOUGH.
1) Manchester lost 17 games in a row over 3 seasons (NOV 21 - SEP 23). Only the last 6 of that streak happened with the current coach. Not sure how anything that happens this year would "tell ya what you need to know about the future."

2) Manchester has an excellent history of winning. If you change coaches again after this year, that means you'd have had 4 coaches in 7 years. That's something the 1999-2020 Browns would have done. Is that really what Manchester has become?

3) I know you're just an alum venting, but if the administration takes on the same attitude you're sharing here . . . while losing might not be acceptable, but it sure is going to become awful frequent.

Give Tuslaw credit for at least this much. We're here on PACtion2024™.

Where's The Silent Flock? Where's our representatives of the Justus Junta?

Where's Fairless?
Tons of credit to the Mustang faithful, Rich. #PACtion2024™ doesn't exist without y'all.

Fairless is like one of those movies where the kid's family moves and he tries to reinvent himself at the new school. Fairless got all that pipeline money and the facilities that came from it, but everyone around wasn't impressed (Cool, but they're still Fairless) so now they want to move districts & leagues so they can re-invent themselves.

1) Manchester lost 17 games in a row over 3 seasons (NOV 21 - SEP 23). Only the last 6 of that streak happened with the current coach. Not sure how anything that happens this year would "tell ya what you need to know about the future."

2) Manchester has an excellent history of winning. If you change coaches again after this year, that means you'd have had 4 coaches in 7 years. That's something the 1999-2020 Browns would have done. Is that really what Manchester has become?

3) I know you're just an alum venting, but if the administration takes on the same attitude you're sharing here . . . while losing might not be acceptable, but it sure is going to become awful frequent.
Ask Louisville about their coaching changes....the coach they fired is now at Northwest....there are people who would love a do over

Raylan, I'm not venting and I'm not upset. All I'm saying is that in high school football, you either have "it" or you don't. We'll know sooner than later. Good coaches turn around programs quickly. If Stacy wins 5 games or close to it with good competitiveness all around, I think he's good to go and is a keeper. You wouldn't tell me that if they go 1-9 again that he's on solid footing woulda ya?

Hubristic expectation such as this is what I like to call the "Dallas Cowboys" approach to life; expecting success because of some "divine right of kings" reason when mediocrity is closer to reality. It only leads to continual disappointment. This is what Manchester is currently experiencing.