PAC 2022

I agree. PAC wins will be hard to come by week 1.
I see three
Tuslaw over C.V
Fairless over S.V almost a lock s.v really young
Northwest over Norton in a close game

2 toss games
Carrollton at Manchester
Canton South at St Clairsville

Saw St Clairsville they seemed a tade bit down from last yr but it was a scrimmage against my Pirates and scrimmages are misleading Imho

Congrats on the Fairless win! It does bring up some questions foe me: has Fairless built from their success a year ago? Is SV really down this year (they've been really god of late). Has the new faciliti3s brought a sense of victort to the program (sae this happen many times- mere changr in environment helps confidence of young men). Ia it way way too early to pronounce them a league contender/significant playoff run team? I tend to get over excited the first week of the year and project too much myself.
Great job to the Falcons and keep it rolling.
Im nervous about the panthers situation, but good luck against carrolton.

Congrats on the Fairless win! It does bring up some questions foe me: has Fairless built from their success a year ago? Is SV really down this year (they've been really god of late). Has the new faciliti3s brought a sense of victort to the program (sae this happen many times- mere changr in environment helps confidence of young men). Ia it way way too early to pronounce them a league contender/significant playoff run team? I tend to get over excited the first week of the year and project too much myself.
Imho a bit of both Fairless should be in the running for a pac title but S.V will be lucky to win 4 games this year. They are very very young

Fairless still has some talent from last year. Maybe they make the playoffs and get a favorable 1st round draw (unlike what they got with Poland last year).

Sandy Valley is way down this year - not a lot of seniors and starting QB going down to injury in a scrimmage. I see 3 games on SV's schedule that they could win (Minerva, East Canton, and Tusky Valley), and I'm not betting any money that they will win all 3.

Caught the Northwest vs Norton game. Northwest pretty much dominated from the second quarter on to a 35-14 Final.

Week 1 Scores:

Fairless 31 Sandy Valley 0
West Holmes 41 Triway 7
St Clairsville 48 Canton South 34
Carrollton 34 Manchester 13
New Philadelphia 7 CVCA 2
Northwest 35 Norton 14
Wooster 40 Orrville 13
Tuslaw 49 Conotton Valley 48

Fairless does return nine starters on offense including Qb. Their sophomore RB that took over for Cambell is supposed to be pretty good with power. They obviously have good speed at the corners in state track kids Yoder and Pomneo. On defense they also return nine starters. With Fairless playing the same non conference schedule as last year we will find out much more about them when they travel to NW week four. That should be a good matchup

Fairless does return nine starters on offense including Qb. Their sophomore RB that took over for Cambell is supposed to be pretty good with power. They obviously have good speed at the corners in state track kids Yoder and Pomneo. On defense they also return nine starters. With Fairless playing the same non conference schedule as last year we will find out much more about them when they travel to NW week four. That should be a good matchup
Great point. It's been mentioned here before and when it comes to OOC scheduling, C- for that AD. I understand Sandy Valley because their close & you'll get a good gate. But Tusky is & has been terrible so there's no gate there. They had Dalton as their 3rd OOC opponent and beat them TWICE then change out for Claymont. Those folks can wrestle like crazy, but not exactly known for having good teams let alone having a good following.

Falcons used to always play Garaway & a WCAL team. If you did that + Sandy Valley that's a legit OOC schedule. Instead they'll look like world beaters and then get into the league.

Going to be a fun season - at this point I'll stand by all my predictions so far. NW showed up to play Friday, but I also think Norton wasn't as good a people thought they were going to be. Either way, good road win to start the season!

Columbus City teachers are going on strike. Does South have another opponent lined up for this weekend since Eastmoor may not be able to play?

Maybe a naive question, but since coaches are paid with a separate stipend (in addition to any teacher salary), couldn't they still continue to coach, just not teach?

Since coaches are paid with a separate stipend, would they still continue to coach, just not teach?
Columbus City Schools has said that, due to teachers comprising a majority of the coaching and extracurricular staffs, games are postponed for the duration of the strike.

I haven't heard a lot about Manchester and their opening loss. The score looked pretty ugly. Haven't seen any write-ups or a box score with stats. Any word on what happened?

Columbus City Schools has said that, due to teachers comprising a majority of the coaching and extracurricular staffs, games are postponed for the duration of the strike.
Ugh. I feel horrible for ALL students - not just the athletes - for all they are missing while teachers complain about their salary.

1661191960800.png

Newsflash: Nobody thinks they get paid enough for what they do.
/rant

I haven't heard a lot about Manchester and their opening loss. The score looked pretty ugly. Haven't seen any write-ups or a box score with stats. Any word on what happened?
Was wondering the same thing. They should "look" better this week. Should.

I heard they came out and were gashing the defense for 5 to 7 yards and suddenly stopped running and tried get the passing game going and never recovered.

Such a busy couple of days since Friday night. Haven't had time to post. Some post week one musings and Power Rankings:.

1. Fairless - They are who we thought they were. 18 starters back. Got to watch a bit of the replay and they dismantled an inferior team in Sandy Valley. The champs are the champs until they are dethroned. Easy non-conference schedule or not. Colucci, Pomneo and company will be hard to beat week in and week out.

2. Canton South - They are who we think they are. But ran into a buzzsaw in week one. Now it sounds like the Columbus Teachers strike may put week 2 against Eastmoor Academy in jeopardy. Sandy Valley in week 3 may play the bug to the Wildcats' windshield.

3. Triway - We knew West Holmes was loaded. But 41-7? Expect the Titans to get untracked this week against Highland.

4. Northwest - Biggest surprise of the week, based on what we heard all pre-season. Found the endzone five times against Norton. Maybe things in Canal Fulton will be OK after all.

5. CVCA - Moved the ball between the 20s all night. Three drives started inside their own 7. Three other drives started inside their own 21. 0 for 4 on fourth down and lost another drive to a fumble. Outgained New Philly 315 to 212 but couldn't finish against the stingy Quakers defense. An early season gut-check coming in week 2 against Kent Roosevelt.

6. Tuslaw - Last week, I wrote that they had to find a way to win against what may be their weakest opponent of the year. 49-48. Double overtime. Mission accomplished

7. Orrville - Found the end zone a couple times despite being undermanned against D2 Wooster

8. Manchester - Not a great first week. Seems like @the123kidz says they got away from pounding the ball, which is what worked last year. Sandy Valley should be an honorary PAC member, as they get the Panthers this week, after Fairless in week one and South in week three. That should give us a good comparison between the Panthers and Falcons.

I heard they came out and were gashing the defense for 5 to 7 yards and suddenly stopped running and tried get the passing game going and never recovered.
That Ohlolstrom kid is legit, he is 90% of Carrollton o, can't wait to see how my Pirates fair week 4.

That Ohlolstrom kid is legit, he is 90% of Carrollton o, can't wait to see how my Pirates fair week 4.
This is very true. The other info on the game not close to accurate . Panthers moved the ball on the ground with a long drive stalling at the 1 yard line. Carrollton then went down the field for another score. Making it 14-0 . Could not stop their back who carried the ball virtually every play. Think he was 2 nd team all state last year.panthers had 2 backs with over 100 yds. Trouble finishing drives.

I attended the Manchester game, here's my take. Carrollton probably has the best running game that Manchester will see all year. The Warriors' offensive line was physical, disciplined, efficient, and the running backs are also good enough to flow with the blocking and hit the holes. In short, they pushed the young Panthers off the line and rolled at will. They were only stopped by penalties (first drive only) and in the 4th quarter when they put in the second team. The only Carrollton offensive stat I've seen is they had 17 first downs. They might have thrown 3 or 4 passes, didn't need to do any more. I don't believe anyone in the PAC will be capable of being that physical up front and I think the young Manchester D will grow from this game. Simply put, they were overmatched by the Carrollton running game.

As far as Manchester's offense, I have to disagree with the comment about trying to get the passing game going and never recovering. They were running the ball well between the tackles, quick hitters and counters, but they couldn't get wide on Carrollton's pursuit. The first Panther drive started at midfield and they moved to the 20 fairly well. It was there that back to back sweeps got stuffed and they turned it over on downs at the Carrollton 20. The second drive started on the Panthers' 20 (down 7-0) and they moved down to the Carrollton 6 but were unable to score in four tries, being stopped at the 1 and turning it over on downs. There were no Manchester passes in those first two series. Carrollton then marched 99 yards to take a 13-0 halftime lead.

Carrollton put it out of reach in the 3rd quarter by pounding the ball down the field. Manchester still moved the ball but couldn't sustain a drive. I've seen that the Panthers had 42 rushes for 287 yards, were 4 for 7 on passes, and netted 15 first downs. Some were obviously in the 4th quarter when they put both of their TDs on the board.

Overall, it is a very young and inexperienced Manchester team, but I liked that mistakes were minimized (4 penalties, 27 yards), no fumbles, one interception thrown, and no major bonehead plays. I liked the heart they showed in this game, they just got beat up by a bigger, older, more physical team. It will be interesting to see how they do in the next two games (Sandy Valley and Mogadore).

This is very true. The other info on the game not close to accurate . Panthers moved the ball on the ground with a long drive stalling at the 1 yard line. Carrollton then went down the field for another score. Making it 14-0 . Could not stop their back who carried the ball virtually every play. Think he was 2 nd team all state last year.panthers had 2 backs with over 100 yds. Trouble finishing drives.
They put kickoffs into the end zone on the fly 5 out of 6 times. No field position doesn’t help .

I attended the Manchester game, here's my take. Carrollton probably has the best running game that Manchester will see all year. The Warriors' offensive line was physical, disciplined, efficient, and the running backs are also good enough to flow with the blocking and hit the holes. In short, they pushed the young Panthers off the line and rolled at will. They were only stopped by penalties (first drive only) and in the 4th quarter when they put in the second team. The only Carrollton offensive stat I've seen is they had 17 first downs. They might have thrown 3 or 4 passes, didn't need to do any more. I don't believe anyone in the PAC will be capable of being that physical up front and I think the young Manchester D will grow from this game. Simply put, they were overmatched by the Carrollton running game.

As far as Manchester's offense, I have to disagree with the comment about trying to get the passing game going and never recovering. They were running the ball well between the tackles, quick hitters and counters, but they couldn't get wide on Carrollton's pursuit. The first Panther drive started at midfield and they moved to the 20 fairly well. It was there that back to back sweeps got stuffed and they turned it over on downs at the Carrollton 20. The second drive started on the Panthers' 20 (down 7-0) and they moved down to the Carrollton 6 but were unable to score in four tries, being stopped at the 1 and turning it over on downs. There were no Manchester passes in those first two series. Carrollton then marched 99 yards to take a 13-0 halftime lead.

Carrollton put it out of reach in the 3rd quarter by pounding the ball down the field. Manchester still moved the ball but couldn't sustain a drive. I've seen that the Panthers had 42 rushes for 287 yards, were 4 for 7 on passes, and netted 15 first downs. Some were obviously in the 4th quarter when they put both of their TDs on the board.

Overall, it is a very young and inexperienced Manchester team, but I liked that mistakes were minimized (4 penalties, 27 yards), no fumbles, one interception thrown, and no major bonehead plays. I liked the heart they showed in this game, they just got beat up by a bigger, older, more physical team. It will be interesting to see how they do in the next two games (Sandy Valley and Mogadore).
In summary, sounds like Manchester got Manchestered.

Excited at the prospect of NW being 2-0 after this week - Has the look of a team that is only going to improve as they continue to figure out who they are in a Mick-less era. Young at skill positions with more talent coming.....future is bright in Canal Town.