Opt in/out date.

Maybe it’s just me but I find it odd that a team (Waterloo) that has only made 1 playoff appearance in 1999 with 0 playoff wins would opt out of the playoffs.
If it’s a financial decision, then obviously their decision to change conferences 3 years ago with longer travel and increased costs was a poor one.

I saw last night that locally Sebring McKinley & Vienna Mathews have opted out and will play each other instead in week one of the playoffs. Sebring has never qualified and Mathews is 0-5 in their appearances, all blowouts.

I may be totally wrong on this but I seem to remember that after Waterloo lost to Girard in that 99 playoff appearance OHSAA said that Waterloo should not have qualified anyway. I think OHSAA said they should have had to forfeit some or all of their wins but it only came to light after the fact and they had already played and lost in the first round so it was a moot point. If I'm wrong I apologize to Waterloo.

That 99 Girard team lost two games, both to 15-0 state champions. D3 champion Poland, the first Ohio team to go 15-0, beat Girard in the regular season and D4 champ Sandusky Perkins, also 15-0, beat them in the playoffs on the way to the title.

I don't understand why Mathews would opt out, its kind of stupid in my opinion....

they aren’t very good and have a chance to play another local team that isn’t very good. And they can schedule a few more teams that are local and not very good after that.

they aren’t very good and have a chance to play another local team that isn’t very good. And they can schedule a few more teams that are local and not very good after that.
That, and there's no way to make any ticket money from a playoff game this year since OHSAA is keeping it all.

That, and there's no way to make any ticket money from a playoff game this year since OHSAA is keeping it all.
Let's remember Matthews doesn't play for championships there a relevant they've been irrelevant in all their sports for a long time they don't want competition they shy from competition they like playing the Southington's of the world

Let's remember Matthews doesn't play for championships there a relevant they've been irrelevant in all their sports for a long time they don't want competition they shy from competition they like playing the Southington's of the world
Not every school is equal and just shirking competition. Some are facing the prospect of seriously injuring their students playing a game against a team much better than them.