OHSAA! You gotta be kidding me

OHSAA lost their a** last spring on spring sports state tournament revenue (mainly basketball) and is now struggling to make ends meet. I have no problem paying this to help them get back on their feet.
Shouldn't the schools be compensated for something?

Each Athletic Department has a code assigned to their school. You have to contact your Athletic Department for the code. In most cases, those codes will only be given out to parents of those closely involved.

I know that some schools will not give out the code (for obvious reasons) and will handle the ticket distribution on their own.
Ok thanks. Basically useless situation for the casual fan then

Will not get political here, but would challenge anyone giving OHSAA a “pass” on their money grab to check out their org structure. They have a central office & then 6 districts with 8-12 members each. All of which are compensated for their roles. That’s an awful lot of folks in leadership roles

COVID has impacted every facet of our economy & businesses are making changes to adapt or they are closing their doors. OHSAA took pay cuts & then built a football season designed solely to maximize their own revenues.

(steps down off soap box....)

how much are they compensated?

It is crap but is anyone really surprised by this? Stinks but if the athletic dept wanted to keep the funds and make some additional $ they could have easily opted out and played a regular schedule. Everyone wants a chance at winning playoff games but this is a unique year. Why not opt out, schedule additional home games and pocket the $? Making the "playoffs" obviously doesn't mean anything this year anyway. Just a thought.

It is crap but is anyone really surprised by this? Stinks but if the athletic dept wanted to keep the funds and make some additional $ they could have easily opted out and played a regular schedule. Everyone wants a chance at winning playoff games but this is a unique year. Why not opt out, schedule additional home games and pocket the $? Making the "playoffs" obviously doesn't mean anything this year anyway. Just a thought.
That is very true. It’s not like the schools didn’t have a choice.

Exactly. This is not even playoffs this year. It is a tournament, since everyone is invited to play in it. I define a playoff ,as something that has to be earned , to get in

Host team gets around $1600, not sure about visitors. A month ago our season was cancelled now we may have two maybe three home games in the playoffs.. $12 bucks is love right now for a football game. Be humble, they took the whole B-Ball tournament away. Trotwood would have made it to the finals, and UD(NCAA) would have won the whole damn thing!!! Spend the $12..

RAMNATION ALMIGHTY DIII CHAMPS

Schools should seriously consider leaving the OHSAA.
And they'll go where ?

I totally believe the plan for football season was never about getting the season done a whole two weeks earlier. It was about getting more playoff games so they could make more money.

No, shortening the season (finishing sooner) was DeWine's edict. His thoughts are (according to the experts, cough cough) that there is a second wave coming and he didn't want it to get more kids sick. (even though we are wearing masks to "run this thing into the ground")

Last edited:
And they'll go where ?

No, shortening the season (finishing sooner) was DeWine's edict. His thoughts are (according to the experts, cough cough) that there is a second wave coming and he didn't want it to get more kids sick. (even though we are wearing masks to "run this thing into the ground")
A door could create and run a more efficient sports organization than the OHSAA.

And no other fall sport was shortened!

That's because the other fall sports are done playing by the second weekend of November.
Because the extra 2 weeks of the season is going to make such a huge difference. The 6 game season was nothing but a money grab for the OHSAA. Especially charging $12 a ticket. You can get tickets to Browns, Cavs, and Bengals games for cheaper at some points last season.

The OHSAA announced yesterday that tickets for all playoff games will cost $12 and will all be sold online through hometown tickets.......

This is outragious.....not only are you charging double what it costs for a normal game, all tickets sold online so everyone will now pay a service charge of at least a dollar if not more. Plus this year no kick back for schools

A family of 4 will now pay 50+ to watch a HS football game! What a joke
Too bad you don't have a choice as to go or not to go.

Wait, you do.

Shouldn't the schools be compensated for something?
I'm pretty sure I heard that schools are getting paid $1,600 by the OHSAA to host a playoff game. The OHSAA takes all other ticket revenue. Like normal playoff games, schools are allowed to generate revenue through concessions and charging for parking to make extra.

Schools should seriously consider leaving the OHSAA. I totally believe the plan for football season was never about getting the season done a whole two weeks earlier. It was about getting more playoff games so they could make more money.
The governor's office told the OHSAA you have to be done with football by the weekend before Thanksgiving if you want to have a football season.

Since you've got all the answers, what were they supposed to do in that situation?

If you're fortunate enough to have access to tickets for a game you want to attend, but $12 is a financial hardship, you probably shouldn't be spending $7 either.

If you're fortunate enough to have access to tickets for a game you want to attend, but $12 is a financial hardship, you probably shouldn't be spending $7 either.
I can afford $1,000 tickets. Doesn't mean I'm going to spend that much to see a game.

Is not just whether someone can afford it, it's whether someone sees value in it at that price.

No matter who you are, at some point you'll reach a price that you won't see value in the price. Some reach that sooner than others.

Look at all the older fans they say how much they like sitting at home watching on TV in the warmth of their living room drinking beverages not having to walk to the stadium and up the steps, etc. Their value might actually be to the point you'd have to pay them to attend.

But doesn't mean they don't enjoy the games.

Because the extra 2 weeks of the season is going to make such a huge difference. The 6 game season was nothing but a money grab for the OHSAA. Especially charging $12 a ticket. You can get tickets to Browns, Cavs, and Bengals games for cheaper at some points last season.

And you know the governor had everything to do with that.....

You still haven't answered my question about tournament expenses

NOTE: Most of this was posted during the summer by others so I take no credit for the research. Just seemed timely for this thread]

Below is the link to the OHSAA's 2019 Financial Statement. I'm not an accountant (haven't seen my checkbook in months), but a few items that jump out:
2019 salaries for "General & Administrative" staff - $914k
2019 payroll tax & benefits for "General & Administrative" staff - $323k
2019 total expense for "General & Administrative" staff - $2.85M

In 2019 they did away with their pension plan, but that entitled those still eligible for "lump sum" payments. The new "defined contribution plan" includes:
1) 12% annual contribution for all eligible members
2) Matching funds up to 3% of members contribution.

Note - none of the above numbers include funds designated for Tournaments, Compliance, Service, Officiating, or Marketing. Those expenses are all under separate categories.

https://ohsaaweb.blob.core.windows....A/Financial/OHSAAFinancialStatementFY1819.pdf

1602018687726.png

Don’t want to play - don’t go. Plenty of people will. OHSAA ponied up and went to bat for student athletes before most stages would. The least I can do is pay $4 extra per ticket to make up for the fact that they are missing out on the sales of tons of tickets.