OHSAA to Host Press Conference Thursday (Noon)

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
OHSAA to Host Press Conference Thursday
Executive Director Jerry Snodgrass will meet with the media and a live online audience at noon; press conference limited to 30 media members

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio High School Athletic Association will host a press conference at noon Thursday (March 19) at the OHSAA office, Executive Director Jerry Snodgrass has announced.

The press conference will be limited to 30 media members to comply with the directive from the Centers for Disease Control that no more than 50 people be together in the same room. Media must request and be approved for a seat at the press conference via email from Tim Stried at the OHSAA.

The press conference will be streamed live through OHSAA.tv and the OHSAA’s social media platforms (@OHSAASports on Twitter and Facebook).

Snodgrass will provide updates and information on the OHSAA’s winter tournaments that were postponed indefinitely last Thursday, along with updates on spring sports. He will also take questions from media.

OHSAA member schools are encouraged to watch the press conference, as Snodgrass will respond to some of the frequently asked questions from the past several days. His memo to member schools last Friday is posted at: https://www.ohsaa.org/news-media/articles/ohsaa-winter-and-spring-sports-update

Unfortunately, Spring Sports will be cancelled as well...shooting for mid-May to resume so too late for HS. At this point, hoping that timeline works or we won't have Summer either!

School will be cancelled for rest of year by the Governor and Snodgrasses conference is just beating him to the punch and cancelling all spring sports ahead of time to end the speculation.

My daughter is a senior this year and I'm feeling for her. I know in the grand scheme of things losing out on softball, prom, graduation, etc...isn't the end of the world, but it still sucks for these young people. I have a lot of really good memories of those times in high school. It's sucks that so many may have to miss out on those experiences.

• Winter Sports - Still on indefinite postponement
  • Extending tournaments problematic
  • Cancelling Winter tournaments is on the table
  • Tentative schedule for Spring sports: still on but could change if DeWine extends closing of schools
  • Cancelling Spring sports is on the table
  • If cancellation is required, likely all Winter sports would cancel at the same time. Probably not cancel one Winter sport and play another.
  • No extra year of eligibility - this was a question brought up by one of the reporters questions.
  • Working on eligibility for resumption of school due to closures possibly making athletes ineligible
  • No authority over travel teams. Worried about kids moving to their travel teams.
  • If Spring sports do not happen, what will happen with grades eligibility? Might make every kid eligible.
  • Financial impact on OHSAA. Huge impact and working on how bad it is. Lose 1.4-1.5 million in revenues from Winter Sports out of 19 million overall budget. 80% of OHSAA revenue from ticket sales.
  • Thinking creatively to keep the possibility of a season alive.
  • Decision on Winter sports coming in the next 24-48 hours
  • Would they announce a poll champion or a year without champions? Not sure yet. Not likely to have multiple champs.
  • Spring sports still has room to get the season in even with more school time closed. Could move tournaments later in June. Site availability an issue.
  • Winter sports not likely to be played in mid May. Strongly doubts it.
  • OHSAA has not discussed the Fall yet but realize how rapidly this is moving

• Winter Sports - Still on indefinite postponement
  • Extending tournaments problematic
  • Cancelling Winter tournaments is on the table
  • Tentative schedule for Spring sports: still on but could change if DeWine extends closing of schools
  • Cancelling Spring sports is on the table
  • If cancellation is required, likely all Winter sports would cancel at the same time. Probably not cancel one Winter sport and play another.
  • No extra year of eligibility - this was a question brought up by one of the reporters questions.
  • Working on eligibility for resumption of school due to closures possibly making athletes ineligible
  • No authority over travel teams. Worried about kids moving to their travel teams.
  • If Spring sports do not happen, what will happen with grades eligibility? Might make every kid eligible.
  • Financial impact on OHSAA. Huge impact and working on how bad it is. Lose 1.4-1.5 million in revenues from Winter Sports out of 19 million overall budget. 80% of OHSAA revenue from ticket sales.
  • Thinking creatively to keep the possibility of a season alive.
  • Decision on Winter sports coming in the next 24-48 hours
  • Would they announce a poll champion or a year without champions? Not sure yet. Not likely to have multiple champs.
  • Spring sports still has room to get the season in even with more school time closed. Could move tournaments later in June. Site availability an issue.
  • Winter sports not likely to be played in mid May. Strongly doubts it.
  • OHSAA has not discussed the Fall yet but realize how rapidly this is moving
The reporter that asked the question about Extra year of eligibility for HS seniors?... Waste of a seat...
As far as the winter tournaments...That announcement should have been made after Dewine shut down schools. Jerry made this announcement yesterday
"We will be making that decision for winter sports probably within the next 24 to 48 hours. We have to. I think it's imperative that we have to and cannot procrastinate. I do not want to lead people on. That's the No. 1 thing I don't want to do and give them false hope."

I think the OHSAA is simply following the guide of Dewine and his orders wrt the schools. If the April 3rd date is pushed back more than a week or 2 at most I expect that the spring sports will be cancelled for this year. Assuming we're not on the other side of this in the next 2 weeks, I really feel for all the seniors that will likely miss the opportunity to have a senior season. Yeah it's just sports, but the opportunity to compete and create memories one last time with your friends/classmates is something to be mourned when you're 17-18 years old, because for most of those players it will be the last time they get to play competitive softball. My daughter is a Freshman who was slated to play varsity this spring and while I am disappointed for her to not to get the chance to play in her first varsity action, the reality is that she should still have 3 more years to compete at the varsity level in the game she loves, the seniors aren't so lucky. Travel ball will be a very difficult decision if a spring school schedule gets pushed back, as my daughter's team plays 6 consecutive weeks starting with the first weekend of June. This combine with the logistics of schedule tournament venues would lead me to believe that they're going to stick with the current tourney schedule and if that's not enough time to have a season then it'll get cancelled.