ohsaa rule??

fan4u

ok, so here is a question i have been wondering about.....isnt there a rule of how many times a coach can see the players over the summer? the norton coach had practice every day starting right when school ended up till there first game. had practices every monday, wednesday and friday mornings and had "open fields" in the evenings on tuesdays, thursdays and sundays. now "open fields" are suppose to be optional, but he got mad if they were not there. they even practiced on sundays! this is crazy. i thought a coach could only see the players about 10 times up until a certain date. he was working with them way more than that. isnt this against the ohsaa rules or something? if so, will they get penalized for this?

Hey Fan,

Yeah I do know there is some rule that has to do with that. Coaches are only supposed to interact with the team I think up to 10 times over the summer. I think regular season and conditioning can start the last week or two of July. I remember that being the rule when I was in school. And the only exception to this rule is if the coach is a first year coach, but that is not the case here because this is Vaill's second year. He was allowed to do this last year, but not this year. I think there is supposed to be a penalty for this. Does anyone else have any info about this sort of situation?

Sounds like someone has it out for the coach.

Don't forget, it wouldn't be just the coach you are hurting - you're trying to hurt the whole team. There are a lot of girls that put in a lot of hard work this year are just here to play soccer - not politics.

i dont have it out for anyone. and i am not trying to hurt the team! i was just simply wondering and asking a question.

enjoythegame said:
Sounds like someone has it out for the coach.

Don't forget, it wouldn't be just the coach you are hurting - you're trying to hurt the whole team. There are a lot of girls that put in a lot of hard work this year are just here to play soccer - not politics.
It is a rule for all OHSAA sports. This is not negotiable. If this occurred, it should be punished. Coaches are to have limited contact with the players outside the season. It is limited to 10 camp days between June 1 and July 31. This is to limit the extension of the season for all sports into a year round enterprise and give these kids a chance to do something besides be one sport wonders.

http://ohsaa.org/general/about/bylaws.pdf

10-3-5 In non-interscholastic competition in team sports ... members of the school coaching staff may coach athletes from the school district where employed for a maximum of 10 days from June 1 to July 31. The 10-day limitation applies to the entire coaching staff.
Each individual coach is not entitled to 10 different days for coaching.
EXCEPTION 1 — The paid or unpaid coach employed by a Board of Education may coach athletes from the school district where the coach is employed as coach without limitation from June 1 through July 31 if the 50% limitation is observed. The 50% limitation is defined as a maximum of 50% of the members of a team as defined in the playing rules of the sport. The following chart indicates those limitations for OHSAA recognized team sports.
50% Limitation on Sport number of squad members
Baseball 4
Basketball 2
Field Hockey 5
Football 5
Ice Hockey 3
Soccer 5
Softball 4
Volleyball 3
BYLAWS 46
EXCEPTION 2 — If the 50% limitation is observed, a coach may continue participation with a non-interscholastic team in a national qualifying tournament after July 31 until the team is eliminated from the national qualifying tournament but no later than Labor Day.
Section 4. Penalty
10-4-1 The maximum penalty for violation of this bylaw for any member of a school squad, excepting a senior, shall be ineligibility in that sport for the remainder of the season or the ensuing season. If a senior, the maximum penalty shall be ineligibility for all interscholastic athletics the remainder of the school year.
10-4-2 The penalty for a coach for a violation of this bylaw may include suspension, probation, public censure, fine not to exceed $1,000 per occurrence, or such other penalty as the Commissioner may deem appropriate.

Last edited:
thanks vox. i know that the norton girls head coach and assistant coach was wih the girls way more than 10 days over the summer. he had them practicing and conditioning almost every single day between june 1 and july 31. i know he wanted to make his team better and wasnt trying to violate any rules, but this is not fair for the other teams and coaches who follow the rules and only work with their teams 10 times. also, he would get mad if some of the girls wen to basketball open gyms instead of soccer open fields. a lot of the girls do both sports, and it is not fair for him to make them come to an optional open field instead of a bball open gym. this just is not fair!