OHSAA Playoff ticket change.

firewatch

OHSAA new ticket policy for Rounds 2, 3, and 4

For this year's OHSAA football playoff games for weeks 2, 3 and 4 the participating schools will not be provided tickets for presale. Tickets will be sold exclusively on-line at the OHSAA website (www.ohsaa.org/tickets) and not at the participating schools. The participating schools schools will receive $1 for each ticket sold online.

Tickets will be sold at the gate the day of the game but schools do not receive a percentage of those ticket sales.

For week 1 and the State Championship game, the participating schools will be provided tickets for presale as in prior years.

Last edited:

I’m confused on why this is an issue. This gives people a chance to buy pre sale tickets if that can’t make it up to the school, and then if people want to buy tickets from the school to give a portion of the money to the school they still are.

also not sure why it would drive down attendance in 2-4 round games

I’m confused on why this is an issue. This gives people a chance to buy pre sale tickets if that can’t make it up to the school, and then if people want to buy tickets from the school to give a portion of the money to the school they still are.

also not sure why it would drive down attendance in 2-4 round games
The schools don’t have any tickets for pre-sale. Everything is through the OHSAA WEBSITE. A lot of people won’t buy tickets online. And they damn sure aren’t going to stand in line at the ticket booth at the stadiums.

Plus some schools offer playoff tickets to parents of players, band and cheerleaders before the public sale. That is gone after this week.

Last edited:
Smart move. There have been several times where I've wanted to attend D1 games here in Cincy but had no interest in traveling to a school I had no affiliation with and trying to find where the tickets were sold. The also keeps the schools safer.

A large portion of our fan base is older people and I would bet my last dollar most don’t even own a computer let alone have the capability to buy and pay for tickets on line and I would bet we are not alone.
Watch attendance plummet
I’m not sure how the tickets are delivered (printed etc.) but if it’s that big of an issue I’d allow fans to be able to purchase them online in the school. Maybe have a current football player who’s in study hall to help too

A large portion of our fan base is older people and I would bet my last dollar most don’t even own a computer let alone have the capability to buy and pay for tickets on line and I would bet we are not alone.
Watch attendance plummet
80% of Americans shop online so this is a ridiculous statement. For the few people who can't, they can certainly ask someone to buy them or just get to the game 90mins early and get a ticket at the gate.

Why couldn't they do both?

Offer the convenience of buying online and still send an allotment of tickets to the schools to distribute how they feel is appropriate.

So what happens to a "hot" ticket? Does the school get to decide that their season ticket holders get first dibs? Football players parents? Cheerleader and band parents?

A school is just out of luck if they don't get the information to their fans but the other team goes out and buys up all available tickets? Don't laugh at this one, some schools are terrible at communication.

Personally, I like the added option of selling online. I do not like the idea of getting rid of one of the option of buying at the school. Guaranteed there will still be large numbers of people going to the schools to try and buy tickets.

Why couldn't they do both?

Offer the convenience of buying online and still send an allotment of tickets to the schools to distribute how they feel is appropriate.

So what happens to a "hot" ticket? Does the school get to decide that their season ticket holders get first dibs? Football players parents? Cheerleader and band parents?

A school is just out of luck if they don't get the information to their fans but the other team goes out and buys up all available tickets? Don't laugh at this one, some schools are terrible at communication.

Personally, I like the added option of selling online. I do not like the idea of getting rid of one of the option of buying at the school. Guaranteed there will still be large numbers of people going to the schools to try and buy tickets.
This was my thought as well. By and large online sales will be helpful, I’m actually annoyed that the game I want to go to this week isn’t one of the games with it available. I assume the people screaming from their dinosaurs about it will be few and far between.

But it does seem dumb/typical OHSAA money grab to run it exclusively that way. At least give the schools a percentage of the capacity each to sell the old fashioned presale way.

lets do an example
Say 2 schools are playing each other (obviously)
1 school has a huge fan base, the other, not so much
School 1 sells out of their physical presale and the online presale sells out as well
School 2 has a plethora of presale tickets left over.
Now have left over tickets and no real way to sell them. Do all of school 1’s fans who couldn’t get a ticket have to drive an hour there and back just to find out the game sold out of the left over tickets at the gate?
If it’s all online then when it sells out it sells out

The OHSAA isn't doing anyone any favors. The cost of purchasing and shipping the ticket rolls to the participating teams is a logistical feat that the ohsaa is doing away with. Instead, they're going to charge you what it cost them before "for the convenience" of buying online.

Even though an online system would be incredibly cheaper than manually sending tickets to every participating school.

And yes, the elderly are going to be the ones taking it the worst. I know the NFL switched over to all electronic tickets this season and one couple told me they had to buy a new phone just so they could still use their season tickets because they never had a smart phone before. Now that was a dedicated season ticket holder. How likely is a single game here or there fan going to take to it? Maybe just give up because it's not worth the hassle?

What a joke..OHSAA is. Let's make it more difficult to the average fan to get a ticket. What if your computer is down, being repaired, don't have internet access or just plain don't want to order on line. If it ain't broke dont fix it!! Guess that doesn't apply to this organization. Dumb move!!

What a joke..OHSAA is. Let's make it more difficult to the average fan to get a ticket. What if your computer is down, being repaired, don't have internet access or just plain don't want to order on line. If it ain't broke dont fix it!! Guess that doesn't apply to this organization. Dumb move!!
Bada bing bada boom the library is the place for you

This doesn't take a credit card? How do kids without cards purchase?

I agree with the why not do both? It can't cost that much to ship tickets to a school. Certainly not $1.50 per. I'm missing the point of the exclusivity.

Maybe they should let people go to their school and order their presale tickets through the school. They would pay the school whatever the school is charged at the spot and then they'd print out the ticket at the spot. This way its still all online but people can still go to the school and get their tickets without an online transaction personally.

Stand in line then. People cry about the dumbest things. It’s 2019.
But don't a lot of schools hock playoff shirts and other merchandise when fans show up to buy their presale tickets? If the fans can just 'stay at home', it does lose a bit of the captive audience who would in the moment plunk down $10-$20 for a shirt, or two.

I'm guessing another reason for the change is ADs/ticket managers got tired of having to fill out the paperwork and figure out the accounting for their allotment of presale tickets, and the OHSAA is equally tired of having to sift through that paperwork to make sure that the proper amount of money was turned over to them.

At the end of the day in this arrangement, fans save about 50 cents per presale ticket (when factoring in the processing fee) in order to have $1 per ticket go to their school vs. the cost of buying at the gate and having $0 go to their school.

But don't a lot of schools hock playoff shirts and other merchandise when fans show up to buy their presale tickets? If the fans can just 'stay at home', it does lose a bit of the captive audience who would in the moment plunk down $10-$20 for a shirt, or two.
I’ve never seen that in person. But I have seen shirts being sold at the gate when people buy their tickets.

For years I have gone to the school to get the presale tickets. If Pleasant wasn't in the playoffs I'd go to North Union and last year to Northmor as well as Pleasant. I would also buy one for the AD to give to a kid that maybe couldn't afford it so that they could go to the game. Comes to an end after round one now.

This wont make fans not show up.

Personally I have never seen that. Our presale tickets were always at a local gas station up until the state finals and then it was at the school and the AD dept.