OHSAA It's Time To Let Us Know Your Plans, The 'Clock' Is Ticking

Jerry Snodgrass is a very likable guy. He does a pretty nice job overall. He just isn't strong enough to make the decision by himself. He is deferring to the governor to make the decision for him. Some laud that move (giving hope?) and some see a bigger picture of weak leadership because it's been obvious the spring season will not be played.

The Ohio Athletic Commission has cancelled any events that they sanction (Karate, Judo, Wrestling, MMA...etc) until June 1.

Spring sports isn't happening. I wish DeWine would just officially pull the plug on schools.

Jerry Snodgrass is a very likable guy. He does a pretty nice job overall. He just isn't strong enough to make the decision by himself. He is deferring to the governor to make the decision for him. Some laud that move (giving hope?) and some see a bigger picture of weak leadership because it's been obvious the spring season will not be played.

Please tell us how Jerry is going to proceed with spring sports when the governor has the schools closed?

I hope they hold of as long as possible to cancel if that is where we are headed. The sooner they cancel the sooner people start freaking out about the fall. And at the current freak out rate there will be a demand to cancel fall sports by May, winter sports by June, and next spring by July.
There is no reason to look more than 30 days down the road; and at this point, really not past April 30th. Any predictions concerning Fall sports may as well be made using a Magic 8 Ball for all they are worth. No one really knows what the world will look like on May 1st, let alone September 1st; and there is no reason to jump the gun and cancel any Fall season at this point. That would accomplish nothing other than enrage and depress the hell out of a lot of people. Just like saying we will be back to business as usual on May 1st is doing no one any good. Optimism is one thing; false hope is another. At this point the doctors and decision makers want to see where we stand at the end of April and see where we go from there. That seems like a responsible approach. The worst thing that could happen would be to re-open society too soon and end up having to re-start the whole lock down process again. The president wants to re-open businesses to get the economy back up and running. That's a valid position and an important concern, but at what risk? The doctors see the curve flattening and want to keep it that way; which is a valid position as well, but at what cost? Somewhere along the line in the cost/ benefit view of it all we will reach a date where the "good" of keeping the lock down in place will be outweighed by the "bad" impact it is having on the economy. But no one knows what that date is yet. Hopefully it's May 1st or close to it.

I'm betting J&J is going to tell us it's like snow days. Schools could have sports it they wanted to.

The whole schedule/timetable was a colossal waste of time for so many. He knows where this is headed. He's in contact with the governor to boot. He dragged it out for winter sports tourneys as well until the governor made the call for him. It's nothing personal. He's a swell guy. Just showing weak leadership.

The whole schedule/timetable was a colossal waste of time for so many. He knows where this is headed. He's in contact with the governor to boot. He dragged it out for winter sports tourneys as well until the governor made the call for him. It's nothing personal. He's a swell guy. Just showing weak leadership.

Again....

Schools are closed on the governor's orders. Two days before the state tourament is due to start the governor restricts how events such as these can be held, so the OHSAA makes arrangements on the fly to be able to play the games. Then on the day the tourney is set to start, the governor closes the schools.

For the spring season, he set a schedule that will allow play should the governor open the schools. He stated without question that if there is no school, there's no spring sports.

What else do you want him to do?

This is on the governor. He holds all the cards.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I interpreted J&J as saying that Jerry S as not having the confidence to just cancelling the spring sports season outright regardless of the May 4th return to school.

Had a lot of time to think about this, as well as other things, and I will definitely be spending my money elsewhere from now on.