OHSAA Issues Warning to Parents and Fans

drew2732

Member
Gen X kids these days. Cocky, entitled, psychotic wanna be dictators with no respect for anyone. Keeping the baby boomer traditions alive! Way to go 👍 😂

And you all wonder why Millenials have mental issues
 
Last edited:

TigerPaw

Well-known member
Pretty dramatic headline I was expecting to read something specific or different than boilerplate cliches but ok. Act your age stay in your lane love your kids is tremendous advice, I'm sure it will be very helpful.
 

MickeyMantle

Well-known member
Pretty dramatic headline I was expecting to read something specific or different than boilerplate cliches but ok. Act your age stay in your lane love your kids is tremendous advice, I'm sure it will be very helpful.
Well, yeah. It would be helpful if parents would actually act their age and stay in their lanes.
 

MSL

Member
Won't be too much longer until a particular troll comes along to go to bat for these very fans being called out.
 

Stirred not Shaken

Well-known member
I like how OHSAA thinks they know what's best for our children, more so than the parents. A coach or AD gets paid by the taxpayers ( in other words their servants to the public ), and if I want to talk to a coach or AD, I will.
 

sapientia et veritas

Well-known member
OHSAA platitudes said:
1. Act Your Age.
Agreed. We had some fans doing some rude taunts at the Hoover coaches last season. Some of us in the seats felt compelled to apologize to our guests for the utter jerkitude of our fellow fans.

OHSAA platitudes said:
2. Don’t Live Your Life Vicariously Through Your Children.
Agreed. 100%. Let them be players and grow on their own.

OHSAA platitudes said:
3. Let Your Children Talk to the Coach Instead of You Doing It for Them.
Agreed. 200%. Coach is off-limits as soon as camp starts.

OHSAA platitudes said:
4. Stay in Your Own Lane. No coaching or officiating from the sidelines. Your role is to be a responsible, supportive parent—not a coach or official.
Agreed on coaching. Not completely on officiating. I think the refs make the right call or the right no call about 98% of the time. The other 2% - I say it's fair to criticize. They're professionals. Get a thick skin. There's no need to call a ref blind or stupid or ignorant. Or to swear at them. And there's no reason to say anything about officiating except for the moment it happens. Yelling at an official after a game should get the yeller arrested for assault. I call a bad call a bad call, and I shush up the other fans when they think a good call is a bad call. Sorry to the allsports zebrastripers on the forum, but I think that more than a handful of officials need a verbal reminder immediately after wrongly tossing the hanky that the defender has an equal right to the ball that's in the air. And when I see #68 on the offensive line tackling our defender again and again, I'm going to yell that #68 is holding. Immediately after the play. And only if #68 just did. I'm not going to yell it all game. Yelling stuff like "you have to call that both ways" is stupid and pointless. And yelling crap like "What? No penalties?" in a sarcastic fashion is immature. I assume that most refs tune out all the noise coming from the bleachers. But if my observation alerts a coach to look for and point out the same thing, I'm going to do it to support my team - not to attack any ref.

OHSAA platitudes said:
5. Remember, Participating in a High School Sport Is Not About Getting a College Scholarship.
Agreed. For 90% of the kids dressed it's a learning and growing experience with some fun and friendship mixed in.

OHSAA platitudes said:
6. Make Sure Your Children Know You Love Watching Them Play
Agree. And dads don't need to go down to the fence and yell helpful coaching hints after a series. Stop embarrassing yourself, your kid, and your school. Except at JV. That's still teaching.
 

MSL

Member
I like how OHSAA thinks they know what's best for our children, more so than the parents. A coach or AD gets paid by the taxpayers ( in other words their servants to the public ), and if I want to talk to a coach or AD, I will.
Spoken like a true helicopter parent who lives vicariously through his/her children.
 

TCSoup

Member
The Baby Boomers may be the worst generation in history, but their kids are giving them a run for their money.
Baby Boomer at the youngest are 55 years old. The oldest 76
i would assume the majority of the parents and the kids of HS kids 15-19 were born to Generation X kids, Not to say there isn't some rowdy Grandpas and Grandmas in the stands.
 

zebrastripes

Active member
Agreed on coaching. Not completely on officiating. I think the refs make the right call or the right no call about 98% of the time. The other 2% - I say it's fair to criticize. They're professionals. Get a thick skin. There's no need to call a ref blind or stupid or ignorant. Or to swear at them. And there's no reason to say anything about officiating except for the moment it happens. Yelling at an official after a game should get the yeller arrested for assault. I call a bad call a bad call, and I shush up the other fans when they think a good call is a bad call. Sorry to the allsports zebrastripers on the forum, but I think that more than a handful of officials need a verbal reminder immediately after wrongly tossing the hanky that the defender has an equal right to the ball that's in the air. And when I see #68 on the offensive line tackling our defender again and again, I'm going to yell that #68 is holding. Immediately after the play. And only if #68 just did. I'm not going to yell it all game. Yelling stuff like "you have to call that both ways" is stupid and pointless. And yelling crap like "What? No penalties?" in a sarcastic fashion is immature. I assume that most refs tune out all the noise coming from the bleachers. But if my observation alerts a coach to look for and point out the same thing, I'm going to do it to support my team - not to attack any ref.
You make some fair points, but the reality is that officials do not see things the way fans do. When you're bellyaching about what you think is a bad call, the other side of the stadium says it was a good call. It is very unlikely an average fan or coach has a better rules knowledge than even an official with a poor rules knowledge relative to his/her peers (just listen to all the fans clamoring about "missed calls" that are based on NCAA or NFL rules). Sometimes calls are missed not because of poor skill or knowledge, but simply because the game is officiated by imperfect creatures.

In general, "get a thick skin" is a lazy and tired excuse to behave like jackasses. Most officials do have thick skin. Responding to or getting worked up about every comment made by coaches or fans is a recipe for disaster.

But remember that varsity football games don't pay more than $70-$80. A high school official is lucky to break even over the course of a season. At some point the abuse taken does not justify the pay. The solution is to pay more (good luck getting schools to do this) or crack down on misbehavior if you want to continue to have officials for your games.
 

FormerWildcat

Yappi Supporter
Last edited:

MSL

Member
The "officials need thick skin" mantra has been overused forever now and is the exact reason why there's a shortage today.

Instead of telling the ADULT fans and coaches to act like ADULTS, we've told the woefully underpaid officials they need to "take the heat or get out of the kitchen."

Sorry, but officials do not owe their time to anyone, not even "the poor kids." If they don't feel their pay is commensurate with the BS, they can and should walk away.

The adults (mainly fans but some ill-behaved coaches also) created this mess. Now it's on them to fix it.

As for coaches and ADs quitting over parents, the OHSAA is spot-on there, as well.
 

MickeyMantle

Well-known member
Baby Boomer at the youngest are 55 years old. The oldest 76
i would assume the majority of the parents and the kids of HS kids 15-19 were born to Generation X kids, Not to say there isn't some rowdy Grandpas and Grandmas in the stands.
That's why I said the Boomers' kids (Gen Xers) are giving them a run for their money.
 

AllSports12

Moderator
Sorry to the allsports zebrastripers on the forum, but I think that more than a handful of officials need a verbal reminder immediately after wrongly tossing the hanky that the defender has an equal right to the ball that's in the air.
And that defender must get to that ball legally.

What you deem legal on the play and what the officials deem legal on the play are typically two different things and the vast majority of the time, the official is correct.
 

TigerPaw

Well-known member
But remember that varsity football games don't pay more than $70-$80. A high school official is lucky to break even over the course of a season. At some point the abuse taken does not justify the pay. The solution is to pay more (good luck getting schools to do this) or crack down on misbehavior if you want to continue to have officials for your games.
What??? Well there ya go. I'd be thin skinned too for $70 and breaking even. Wtf needs that? Pay the sobs!!! Too bad OHSAA does not have any money, cough cough.
 
.
Top