OHSAA Finals in Canton: New Deal Pending?

my2sense

It's a busy time at Benson. Small college champiosnhips, Black Colleges HOF game, Nike Classic - and now word is that the final details are being worked out for a multi-year deal to keep the OHSAA finals in Canton.

It's a busy time at Benson. Small college champiosnhips, Black Colleges HOF game, Nike Classic - and now word is that the final details are being worked out for a multi-year deal to keep the OHSAA finals in Canton.
Excellent news! Hope it happens. It's a 2 1/2 hour drive for me and I go every year, book a room, and love it. And I have zero skin in the game.

You're a true fan.
I am a huge fan of HS football. But living in Erie, there really are only 2 teams worth seeing. Erie Prep and Erie McDowell. But neither of them play a very good schedule. I would much rather, and do, go to Ohio for the best game(s) for 15 weeks. The football I see over there is awesome. I have seen so many amazing games , crowds, players, and teams. Not to mention some really nice people and ADs that have helped me get tickets when needed.

I am a huge fan of HS football. But living in Erie, there really are only 2 teams worth seeing. Erie Prep and Erie McDowell. But neither of them play a very good schedule. I would much rather, and do, go to Ohio for the best game(s) for 15 weeks. The 2 hour drive every week is well worth it. Some people spend money for hunting, fishing, etc... I spend mine going to Ohio on gas, food, tickets, etc... The football I see over there is awesome. I have seen so many amazing games, crowds, players, and teams. Not to mention some really nice people and ADs that have helped me get tickets when needed.

Good for you bkmk. Most rational people understand that enjoying certain things sometimes involves some travel.

I would love to see the Grand Canyon much more often but its not near me. So I go where it is.

if my team is in the state final then i will go regardless. but a state final that is located in NE Ohio will not attract “common fans” or “neutral fans”, especially from SW Ohio, as much as it would if it was played at a more central location.

The real problem is playing all the games in one place, they should just determine a neutral site for the teams playing in each division, attendance would be better than the few fans that show up for all the games. All the games could be played on a friday or sat nite

The real problem is playing all the games in one place, they should just determine a neutral site for the teams playing in each division, attendance would be better than the few fans that show up for all the games. All the games could be played on a friday or sat nite

Get the neutral sites to agree and send the proposal.

Paul Brown Tiger Stadium (Massillon)
Welcome Stadium (Dayton)
Troy Memorial Stadium (Troy)
Mav Morehead Memorial Stadium (Upper Arlington)
Arlin Stadium (Mansfield)
Byers Field (Parma)
Harding Stadium (Steubenville)
The Pit (Cincinnati)

these are all high school stadiums i would probably enjoy seeing a neutral site state championship game played at.

University or Toledo
University of Cincinnati
The Ohio State University
Akron University
Ohio University
Ohio Wesleyan University
Fawcett Stadium

all college stadiums that would do the trick

Welcome Stadium (Dayton)
Byers Field (Parma)
The Pit (Cincinnati)

these are all high school stadiums i would probably enjoy seeing a neutral site state championship game played at.

University or Toledo
University of Cincinnati
Akron University
Ohio University
Ohio Wesleyan University
Fawcett Stadium

OSU doesn’t want them now, why would they want a one or two off

Welcome Stadium (Dayton)
Byers Field (Parma)
The Pit (Cincinnati)

University or Toledo
University of Cincinnati
Akron University
Ohio University
Ohio Wesleyan University
Fawcett Stadium

I like that list. This year was my first time at Sidney. I'd add that to your list. Large capacity with no track, great concession, easy parking and drive to the highway. I even like the industrial view in the background.

But as far as State Finals, I'm solidly in the Canton-Massillon tradition as long as those communities see it as something special and don't take it for granted. But if their people won't go fill up those stands as FANS, then other places are fair game. Say no to centralized everything.

I like that list. This year was my first time at Sidney. I'd add that to your list. Large capacity with no track, great concession, easy parking and drive to the highway. I even like the industrial view in the background.

But as far as State Finals, I'm solidly in the Canton-Massillon tradition as long as those communities see it as something special and don't take it for granted. But if their people won't go fill up those stands as FANS, then other places are fair game. Say no to centralized everything.
i’ve traveled to a couple places for games. personally, my favorite places in Ohio to watch football at any level are:
Mansfield
Steubenville
Ohio Wesleyan University
Ashland University
The Shoe

other people have different opinions of course but i’ve enjoyed my experiences the most there. as far as Sidney, ive seen pictures and it was awesome, they could host a smaller school stage championship pretty well. Piqua is nice too (if no one has noticed, the teams on the I75 corridor have some very nice stadiums!). i’ll have to make an effort to get up to Sidney for a thursday night game if they happened to get one this year.