OHSAA does not allow kids to play 7on7

Who cares. College coaches across all levels don’t care about 7 on 7 film. They care what you put on tape in actual games.

The OHSAA does allow kids to play 7 on 7. The OHSFCA even hosts a huge tournament every year.

What they don't do is allow kids to play on an AAU team in something that is not even a real sport during the time they would be with their own teams

Who cares. College coaches across all levels don’t care about 7 on 7 film. They care what you put on tape in actual games.
And they barely care about that anymore. It’s more about athletic ability than football skills these days. They’ll coach up a great athlete, even if they aren’t the greatest football player.

And they barely care about that anymore. It’s more about athletic ability than football skills these days. They’ll coach up a great athlete, even if they aren’t the greatest football player.
Maybe at the highest levels of CFB you are correct but evaluating/projecting a prospect with measurables is still very much a priority in recruiting. Always will be.

Kids can do 7 on 7 in offseason. Football numbers down. The more you allow kids to do it is hard for small schools to support all their sports programs. Some kids would dump baseball to do this which would hurt small schools.

Maybe at the highest levels of CFB you are correct but evaluating/projecting a prospect with measurables is still very much a priority in recruiting. Always will be.

I agree with both of these.

At the Power 5 level? It's like going to a high end market and picking out what they want and making something of it. D2-D3 level? It's McDonalds. Might not be great, but they know what they're going to get and no work needed.

What they don't do is allow kids to play on an AAU team in something that is not even a real sport during the time they would be with their own teams
They can't play 7 on 7 right now. Not in January, February, March, April, May. This is obviously not time they would be with their own team.

7 on 7 during winter months should be allowed because Ohio already is behind southern states who get an extra 50 practices in 3 years of spring ball. 7 on 7 helps qbs get the numerous reps needed to be an elite passer.

7 on 7 during winter months should be allowed because Ohio already is behind southern states who get an extra 50 practices in 3 years of spring ball. 7 on 7 helps qbs get the numerous reps needed to be an elite passer.
So what spring sport you're going to have to deduct from to make this work?

They don't want to see football trend from collision to touch. Cash cow.

Kids can do 7 on 7 in offseason. Football numbers down. The more you allow kids to do it is hard for small schools to support all their sports programs. Some kids would dump baseball to do this which would hurt small schools.

Case in point. If football numbers are down maybe it is for a reason and we should learn to accept it. Basically "making" schools/communities who can barely support tackle football, continue to in order to fund other programs, doesn't seem like a very ethical reason. Other than that if a kid wants to play 7 on 7 instead of baseball so be it.

So what spring sport you're going to have to deduct from to make this work?
It doesn't have to be a school sport. Like indoor soccer is permitted as well as outdoor in the spring. Same with "AAU" basketball and summer baseball. I don't see why 7 on 7 shouldn't be allowed outside the HS football season.

The only issue I see is in those other sports there is a limit to the number of student athletes permitted from the same school. So if you're looking for the 7 on 7 to be all from one school maybe that is the hangup?

The flip side to that is working with different/better competition does reap rewards in the other sports for the school team even though the competition might not be with your classmates.

Everyone talking about the schools can’t support or it will take away from spring sports. That’s not the point. A kid should be able to join a 7v7 team anywhere and play if they choose. QB’s, WR’s, DB’s, LB’s, RB’s can get reps and and compete. Every state in the US allows this but OH. Why allow AAU basketball or travel baseball? Should be all sports or none. 7v7 is no different. OH skill players are at clear disadvantage. The battle 7v7 tournament in Miami this past weekend was loaded with top 300 players from all over the country but OH. You should be able to join a team anywhere you choose just like AAU. Will not affect your high school program. Most teams practice once a week and play 4-5 tournaments.
7v7 tournaments usually end late April early May. Kids in the south have spring spring ball and still play travel 7v7. Enough with the excuses. OH skill guys needs the same opportunities.

Everyone talking about the schools can’t support or it will take away from spring sports. That’s not the point. A kid should be able to join a 7v7 team anywhere and play if they choose. QB’s, WR’s, DB’s, LB’s, RB’s can get reps and and compete. Every state in the US allows this but OH. Why allow AAU basketball or travel baseball? Should be all sports or none. 7v7 is no different. OH skill players are at clear disadvantage. The battle 7v7 tournament in Miami this past weekend was loaded with top 300 players from all over the country but OH. You should be able to join a team anywhere you choose just like AAU. Will not affect your high school program. Most teams practice once a week and play 4-5 tournaments.
7v7 tournaments usually end late April early May. Kids in the south have spring spring ball and still play travel 7v7. Enough with the excuses. OH skill guys needs the same opportunities.
Go ask college coaches if any watch 7 on 7 highlights from any of these tournaments. 7 on 7 isn’t the same as AAU basketball. You’re actually playing basketball in AAU. 7 on 7 is glorified touch football normally with a playbook specifically used for 7 on 7 for offense and defense. You can say skill guys are at a disadvantage, for the very few who play at the next level, all you want but it still matters what you put on game film and how you perform measurable wise at team camps.

Why should there be a double standard for different sports in Ohio? AAU and travel leagues allowed but no 7 on 7 . not fair at all.
7 on 7 isn't real football, there I said it. No line play makes it basketball on turf. Although its a preview of what football will be in the future, just add flags.

Also, someone might be able to correct me, but if I am playing basketball for my HS, I think I become inelgible if I am playing on a travel team at the same time. However that might be in the same sport season though...

Anyway, yeah why not allow it then, if there is money in it someone will use the kids to make it, look at what travel sports has become now. We have year round teams in AAU and travel baseball, soccer, etc. Why not just add 7 on 7

If only there was something any school who wanted to change the rule could do…oh yeah, there is.

what do we make of the fact that no school in the history of this rule has petitioned for it to be put to a vote and changed?

Go ask college coaches if any watch 7 on 7 highlights from any of these tournaments. 7 on 7 isn’t the same as AAU basketball. You’re actually playing basketball in AAU. 7 on 7 is glorified touch football normally with a playbook specifically used for 7 on 7 for offense and defense. You can say skill guys are at a disadvantage, for the very few who play at the next level, all you want but it still matters what you put on game film and how you perform measurable wise at team camps.
Does AAU football (7 - 7) have to be only for players who want to play in college? My daughter played travel softball in the summer and also fall ball not for college but just to make herself a better softball player. Why do other states allow AAU football, because they are stupid?

Does AAU football (7 - 7) have to be only for players who want to play in college? My daughter played travel softball in the summer and also fall ball not for college but just to make herself a better softball player. Why do other states allow AAU football, because they are stupid?
I don’t know why you would do 7 on 7 football if you weren’t looking to play at the next level. That seems to be the motivation for that. You can do everything else you need for football development without doing AAU 7 on 7. Not saying AAU basketball or any other traveling sports isn’t viable. At least you are playing the actual game of softball, volleyball, basketball, etc. in other AAU sports. Football 7 on 7 is not actual football like another poster said.

I don’t know why you would do 7 on 7 football if you weren’t looking to play at the next level. That seems to be the motivation for that. You can do everything else you need for football development without doing AAU 7 on 7. Not saying AAU basketball or any other traveling sports isn’t viable. At least you are playing the actual game of softball, volleyball, basketball, etc. in other AAU sports. Football 7 on 7 is not actual football like another poster said.
So once again why do other states have 7 - 7 if there is no real benefit.

7 on 7 isn't real football, there I said it. No line play makes it basketball on turf. Although its a preview of what football will be in the future, just add flags.

Also, someone might be able to correct me, but if I am playing basketball for my HS, I think I become inelgible if I am playing on a travel team at the same time. However that might be in the same sport season though...

Anyway, yeah why not allow it then, if there is money in it someone will use the kids to make it, look at what travel sports has become now. We have year round teams in AAU and travel baseball, soccer, etc. Why not just add 7 on 7
You can play on travel teams just has to be outside the high school season.

Not actually football. That is a true statement. But you can be working on skills in the hopes to improve for the next high school season.

And the desire to play at the next level isn't a requirement.