OHSAA Division Expansion

ElderHSfan02

The Ohio High School Athletic Association Board of Directors voted Thursday to expand postseason play in seven sports.

Boys and girls soccer will expand from three divisions to five, while volleyball, boys and girls basketball, baseball and softball will each expand from four divisions to seven. Divisions I and II will consist of 64 schools in all seven sports, while the remaining divisions will have an equal number of schools.

Soccer to 5 divisions.
Basketball to 7 divisions.
Baseball to 7 divisions.
Volleyball to 7 divisions.

The OHSAA is putting up for a vote of member schools this spring a modification to the bylaws that would permit schools on a year-by-year and sport-by-sport basis to request to be moved up to D1. It would not move any other schools down to D2 and you can only request to move to D1. Also for sports like wrestling, tennis, cross country and track and field, golf, etc. where athletes compete as individuals the entire team would be moved to D1.

The OHSAA is putting up for a vote of member schools this spring a modification to the bylaws that would permit schools on a year-by-year and sport-by-sport basis to request to be moved up to D1. It would not move any other schools down to D2 and you can only request to move to D1. Also for sports like wrestling, tennis, cross country and track and field, golf, etc. where athletes compete as individuals the entire team would be moved to D1.

This does not include football if I'm reading it correctly?

The only place where the proposed referendum mentions specific sports is in "Note 2" where it lists the individual athlete sports. I don't see why football would be excluded.

Here's the PDF from the OHSAA: https://ohsaaweb.blob.core.windows..../refvote/2024ReferendumIssues-FebApproved.pdf
Thanks, I read it as it only pertained to the sports that were expanding to 7 divisions.

If football is a part of this, I'd expect a few DII schools to move up if this passes.

Let’s be honest, the only reason this is happening is because the state tournaments are the biggest money maker for the OHSAA. It’s all about the money
BINGO!! I laugh when they call it a disparity of competition. But lets be honest, even with the big schools, you can have 12 guys on a varsity basketball team at a school with 1,000 kids per class, or 25 kids per class. It's likely the school with more kids should be better, but we've seen cases where that's not true. I think there is a threshhold around 300-400 kids and up per class where it really doesn't make any difference.

BINGO!! I laugh when they call it a disparity of competition. But let’s be honest, even with the big schools, you can have 12 guys on a varsity basketball team at a school with 1,000 kids per class, or 25 kids per class. It's likely the school with more kids should be better, but we've seen cases where that's not true. I think there is a threshhold around 300-400 kids and up per class where it really doesn't make any difference.
What $?

Thanks, I read it as it only pertained to the sports that were expanding to 7 divisions.

If football is a part of this, I'd expect a few DII schools to move up if this passes.
Hoban & Massillon. Which would be good, Eds hasn’t had any competition in the Region for about 5 yrs. Ignatius & Mentor have been down and nobody else in NE Ohio stepped up.

What would be the reason for schools to vote against it?

Hoban & Massillon. Which would be good, Eds hasn’t had any competition in the Region for about 5 yrs. Ignatius & Mentor have been down and nobody else in NE Ohio stepped up.
I thought about it differently. If you're lower division region is overall better top to bottom than the corresponding D1 division, then you move up to give your team a better chançe of winning more playoff games.

But I could definitely see it both ways.

I thought about it differently. If you're lower division region is overall better top to bottom than the corresponding D1 division, then you move up to give your team a better chançe of winning more playoff games.

But I could definitely see it both ways.
if you’re Massillon or Hoban, why wouldn’t you want the chance to play for a D1 Title? Hoban has played Eds tough and Massillon beat them the last 2 yrs.

if you’re Massillon or Hoban, why wouldn’t you want the chance to play for a D1 Title? Hoban has played Eds tough and Massillon beat them the last 2 yrs.
Massillon especially, who's gonna knock em off before state semi's? You are almost guaranteed regional championship, if you move up that's not a guarantee, especially with Ed's in your Region. Winning against Ed's the second time you play them is quite a task.

Every dime of the tickets sold for playoff games and finals goes to the OHSAA, they make schools donate the venues. How many more tickets are sold for more state championship runs?
But if these are the smallest schools getting a new division, how is that profitable? Again, it’s not like Put in Bay HS is ever going to bring a large crowd.

The OHSAA’s budget is comprised of three main sources of revenue: 78% comes from ticket sales at tournaments, 11% comes from annual officiating permit renewals and 11% comes from corporate sponsorships.

It does t matter if they are smaller schools, more state tournaments means more ticket sales

The OHSAA’s budget is comprised of three main sources of revenue: 78% comes from ticket sales at tournaments, 11% comes from annual officiating permit renewals and 11% comes from corporate sponsorships.

It does t matter if they are smaller schools, more state tournaments means more ticket sales
Covid should have been a wake up call for the OHSAA that they need to reduce their reliance on tournament ticket sales but instead they did the opposite.

Revenue, but not profit. There’s still costs associated with running these additional tournaments.

Revenue, but not profit. There’s still costs associated with running these additional tournaments.
What costs, a trophy, officials, venues are all donated by the host. These tournaments are almost all profit for the OHSAA. Don’t trust me, do some research.

The OHSAA board of directors has approved the proposal to allow schools to move to D1 to be voted on by member schools.