OHSAA Considering A Strength-Of-Schedule Component For Football Playoff System

Good lord, just do what they did this year. Everyone who wants in is in. Any team that is terrible is going to opt out bc losing to mentor or Ed’s 84-0 isn’t worth it , even if you were 8-2 against the worst schedule in the state

The proposal is more trouble than it is worth. If you can't get in under the current system with it's expansion to 12 teams, you don't deserve to be in the playoffs even if the consensus is that you are better than some other team in the playoffs. The current system identifies playoff teams and it is fair.

I’m not sure. I don’t understand why they would mess with the strength of schedule of taking 16 teams.
OHSAA is the push for 16. Coaches have not supported it as of yet.

I'm not a big fan of the 12 team format / byes suck
go to 16 / seed 8 / blind draw for the rest.

:>---

EGA
8 teams was good. Formula was good. Although I did like that the good teams seemed to schedule games people wanted to see, like Howland vs JFK in my area, there was no feeling of pressure on anyone. A loss didn’t mean anything because everyone made it to the post season. The excitement of the kids needing a win to get in was gone. If they expand playoffs, they are taking that urgency away from everyone. So if schools aren’t willing to play teams everyone wants to see, what’s the point of regular season now. Go have fun and everyone gets a trophy? Also name 1 9+ seed that ever had a real legit shot at anything.

The proposal is more trouble than it is worth. If you can't get in under the current system with it's expansion to 12 teams, you don't deserve to be in the playoffs even if the consensus is that you are better than some other team in the playoffs. The current system identifies playoff teams and it is fair.
Exactly !!! Stop handing out participation ribbons for all of the Jimmy and Joes.

8 teams was good. Formula was good. Although I did like that the good teams seemed to schedule games people wanted to see, like Howland vs JFK in my area, there was no feeling of pressure on anyone. A loss didn’t mean anything because everyone made it to the post season. The excitement of the kids needing a win to get in was gone. If they expand playoffs, they are taking that urgency away from everyone. So if schools aren’t willing to play teams everyone wants to see, what’s the point of regular season now. Go have fun and everyone gets a trophy? Also name 1 9+ seed that ever had a real legit shot at anything.

Mentor Lake Catholic was a 12 seed in R13 this year

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

This seems like a solution in search of a problem. Like @chs1971 said, this seems like it is designed to help powerhouse teams fill schedules. Let's wait until we see how things play out with 12 teams. It might already solve this perceived problem.

So if you lose to the #1 ranked team 50-0 you get points?

I'm guessing that this might be more about helping some of the perennial powerhouses fill their schedule than anything else.
That's how I read the proposal. Cincinnati Oak Hills would have received points for losing to Cincinnati Princeton 55-0, but St. Xavier would not have received any points for losing to Indianapolis Cathedral 25-22. Cathedral beat 3 of the 4 GCL-South teams last year (St. Xavier, Elder and La Salle). They were really good, but got upset in the Indiana playoffs.

The teams who will benefit most from this proposal are the bottom feeders in leagues like the Greater Miami Conference because every year schools like Oak Hills and Middletown will take a couple of absolute beat downs from the likes of Colerain or Lakota West.

12 teams is good for now. i don’t like the strength of schedule thing very much. if they decided to go back to giving every team the opportunity to make it, i honestly wouldn’t mind. it was fun this year for sure. loved guessing who would play who and where they would get seeded. with 12, you allow the top 4 teams to EARN a bye week. i’m sure we will see plenty of upsets in those 1st round games

I'll play devil's advocate, just for kicks. The school I follow dropped our big rival a few years back because they have outgrown us and we win once every 10 years.(Milton-Union and Tippecanoe) With 12 (or 16) teams in we could've kept that rivalry game and not had it affect our chances of making it in nearly as much. I think this might allow better small schools to play some bigger schools without fear of losing out on Harbins. And it also might help super bigs find teams to schedule...teams shouldn't be running away from them nearly as fast.

This is the part of the article that I did not like:

"This will create a component of uncertainty of exactly, 'If I win and somebody loses am I going to get in?'" Rugg said. "Not necessarily. Those strength of schedule points can change things."

Knowing that if you win a game that you make the playoffs can make for some of the most exciting games. The uncertainty takes away from that. I've always been a fan of the OHSAA one and done tournament format for all sports because it creates the most excitement. Teams know what they need to do to move on to the next level. Certainty adds to the excitement of a game.

They are making this to difficult. All they have to do is get rid of the half point....instead of 3.5, 4.5 5.5...just go 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8....so then there is a reward to schedule up....if you beat a D 1 team you get 8 points and all what they win after. Currently if you schedule a D 3 team and you are a D 2 team and if they win 8 you get 44 points vs 48 points for beating a D 2 team that wins 8, now with the new numbers lets say you schedule a D 2 team and they win 8 you get 56 points vs the new number of 48 from a D 3 team...this is how they ran the Harbins before they had half points. Lake made the playoffs in 1990 with a 6 and 3 record and an open week 10....at the time an open week you were penalized...your numbers still were divided by 10 not 9. This makes scheduling more interesting and the reward larger if schedule up.

Horrifically terrible idea. People wanting this are going to be pissed when 2 or 3 win teams get in.

.....It's half first level points. You're talking 3.25 points for a D1 loss. Over a full season, 32.5 max.

This MIGHT push some 5-5 teams ahead of a 6-4 or 7-3, but overall it wouldn't matter much.

.....It's half first level points. You're talking 3.25 points for a D1 loss. Over a full season, 32.5 max.

This MIGHT push some 5-5 teams ahead of a 6-4 or 7-3, but overall it wouldn't matter much.
It will be possible with 12 teams and will eventually happen. 5-5 teams already make it regularly in D1. 2017 Moeller made it at 4-6. With the expansion to 12 teams and adding this, a 2 or 3 win team will make the playoffs eventually.

It will be possible with 12 teams and will eventually happen. 5-5 teams already make it regularly in D1. 2017 Moeller made it at 4-6. With the expansion to 12 teams and adding this, a 2 or 3 win team will make the playoffs eventually.

A 3-win team already qualified in D2 way back in 2001. Walsh Jesuit finished the regular season at 3-6 and they were the #7 team in R5 in front of a 7-3 Akron Buchtel team at #8. Youngstown Chaney then beat Walsh, 13-7 in round one.

A 3-win team already qualified in D2 way back in 2001. Walsh Jesuit finished the regular season at 3-6 and they were the #7 team in R5 in front of a 7-3 Akron Buchtel team at #8. Youngstown Chaney then beat Walsh, 13-7 in round one.
I didn't know that. I like interesting factoids like that.

I didn't know that. I like interesting factoids like that.

Walsh beat two D1 teams that finished 9-1 and 8-2 respectively and they also beat ASVSM who finished 7-3. However with 12 teams qualifying I believe they would have made it at #12 with just the two wins over Mayfield & Strongsville. I would have to go take a look at that to be sure but Walsh finished well in front of the #12 team in R5 that season.

In 2003 Lake made it as a 4 and 6 team...they beat Boardman 21 to 7, Wooster 27 to 20, GlenOak 21 to 17, and Jackson 28 to 14.....were an 8th seed and lost to Brookhaven 21 to 14...with 6 fumbles. Lost to Brookhaven again in 2004 in the regional finals 35 to 14...Brookhaven won the D 2 state title that year

In 2003 Lake made it as a 4 and 6 team...they beat Boardman 21 to 7, Wooster 27 to 20, GlenOak 21 to 17, and Jackson 28 to 14.....were an 8th seed and lost to Brookhaven 21 to 14...with 6 fumbles. Lost to Brookhaven again in 2004 in the regional finals 35 to 14...Brookhaven won the D 2 state title that year

If you throw out the 2020 season, when of course any team that wanted in qualified, there have been 14 times when a losing team qualified, including the ones mentioned above. However, only one of those teams qualified prior to the expansion to 8 teams/per region in 1999. That was the 1982 Middletown Fenwick team that qualified at 4-6 in D5. Keep in mind that only two teams per region qualified then. For the record all 14 teams lost in the first round.