OHSAA changes tournament financial structure

OHSSA pays the entire premium for the catastrophic insurance coverage for all student-athletes The premium for that was $700,000/yr
Schools pay no membership dues.
If some schools want to start a new organization; I say good luck to them.

I get mocked every time I post about insurance and liability. Apparently people think the OHSAA would cover another organization hosting an event? or maybe they just think that host won't have to carry insurance. I laugh each time.

You don't see the irony in telling someone to toughen up after saying you're emotional over your son not getting to lose in the Regionals?
Two completely different situations. Nice touch throwing in a second reference of Lucas not having a chance to win.

I get mocked every time I post about insurance and liability. Apparently people think the OHSAA would cover another organization hosting an event? or maybe they just think that host won't have to carry insurance. I laugh each time.
I'm also not sure what revenue they plan on running a new organization with either.

Two completely different situations. Nice touch throwing in a second reference of Lucas not having a chance to win.
20 years from now, Lucas won't care one way or the other. Hopefully, you'll be able to move on as well.

A lot of us probably take sports (and high school sports a little too seriously), but being that upset over having a game cancelled is bananas. Any reasonable person can see there was no way they could have completed those seasons given the circumstances.
Believe me, I know. I'm a track and field coach and my youngest son was a senior. Not the best athlete of my kids, but he started to really do well in the pole vault. Had a chance to make it to the state meet and challenge our school record. Very good musician, but had the big talent showcase cancelled at school. Nearly all his efforts were peaking at the end of his senior year. We aren't all torn up about it. Upset, but understanding.

As a coach, I was sort of lost. I have the job that I have so that I'm able to coach. We had a team that could really do well at the state meet. We had kids that had put in a lot of time and had it all snatched away. I'm sure there are hundreds of kids in Ohio that had their hearts ripped out. Can't blame any of that on the OHSAA.

A new organization isn't going to function differently is it? It's revenue would still be primarily ticket sales, no? What would a change accomplish?
I just know the OHSAA has been at best hapless usually inept. Make good from a bad situation. Start anew.

OHSAA works grand for privates....you guys can have them.

Believe me, I know. I'm a track and field coach and my youngest son was a senior. Not the best athlete of my kids, but he started to really do well in the pole vault. Had a chance to make it to the state meet and challenge our school record. Very good musician, but had the big talent showcase cancelled at school. Nearly all his efforts were peaking at the end of his senior year. We aren't all torn up about it. Upset, but understanding.

As a coach, I was sort of lost. I have the job that I have so that I'm able to coach. We had a team that could really do well at the state meet. We had kids that had put in a lot of time and had it all snatched away. I'm sure there are hundreds of kids in Ohio that had their hearts ripped out. Can't blame any of that on the OHSAA.
The further I get from my high school days, the more my remembrances and thoughts about high school sports change.

I played three varsity sports in high school. Only one of which did I or my team have any realistic chance of doing anything of significance. And even if you are elite, there's only one champ anyways. Almost everyone is going home a "loser" in that regards. I imagine the vast majority of kids are playing sports where they don't have a chance of "accomplishing" 'anything. That's not really the point of sports. Or shouldn't be.

I also look at it on the flip side. All these seniors impacted like this have a historic set of events that they will talk about for the rest of their lives. There are dozens of kids/teams who will all make the case they would've/could've won it all if not for COVID. There will be 10x Massillon-style (mythical) claims to championships than there would have been otherwise. They're not going to be scarred by this. It's part of their life experience, but most of us realize by our sophomore year of college that the winning or losing isn't the important part of our high school sports experience.

I just know the OHSAA has been at best hapless usually inept. Make good from a bad situation. Start anew.

OHSAA works grand for privates....you guys can have them.
Can you give examples of this ineptitude?

There's a lot of negative comments about the OHSAA being thrown about without specifically saying what you take fault with them for or saying what they should be doing differently.

All I am saying is that this current screw you to the schools should not go unchecked or unpunished. Took all revenue, pushed all expenses onto schools, may (means will) charge others fees.

Now is a great time for schools to be asking if this is the best option.

A board could be formed and given power to fill all roles currently provided by the OHSAA.

OHSSA pays the entire premium for the catastrophic insurance coverage for all student-athletes The premium for that was $700,000/yr
Schools pay no membership dues.
If some schools want to start a new organization; I say good luck to them.
In PA, the PIAA pays the catastrophic loss coverage and it actually pays a little more and a little longer for claimants. They charge the schools about $450 depending on size of school to cover that expense.

So at $6/ticket, the first 75 fans covers your insurance for the whole school year for all sports.

Every school is given the option to opt out and can play up to 10 games this year. No liability or insurance issue involved.
That may work this year given the circumstances. The talk seems to be more leaving and replacing the OHSAA entirely. Good luck with that.

This is a classic case of not preparing in the feast for when the famine comes. So the schools are supposed to absorb the loss from the virus, AND fund the the losses the OHSAA - an independent organization - has suffered.

Someone wake e up in 2021.

In PA, the PIAA pays the catastrophic loss coverage and it actually pays a little more and a little longer for claimants. They charge the schools about $450 depending on size of school to cover that expense.

So at $6/ticket, the first 75 fans covers your insurance for the whole school year for all sports.

If you think individual schools could get catastrophic coverage for $450 for all sports...you're way off

If you think individual schools could get catastrophic coverage for $450 for all sports...you're way off
Individual schools can't. That's why they go all in as an association and get it to cover all sports for the entire school year, not just on a sport by sport basis or each on their own. It's the only thing making it affordable.

It was stated by you that it costs $700,000/year for catastrophic coverage.

There's 817 high schools and 873 middle schools that are members of the OHSAA. If the schools paid the PIAA average of $450 a year by size (880 - and Above = $ 675.00
500 - 879= $ 625.00
241 - 499 = $ 575.00
1 - 240= $ 525.00,
While junior highs paid $250 regardless of size)...

1690 members X $450 average is.... $760,500. Which would cover the catastrophic loss coverage of all the schools.

Individual schools can't. That's why they go all in as an association and get it to cover all sports for the entire school year, not just on a sport by sport basis or each on their own. It's the only thing making it affordable.

It was stated by you that it costs $700,000/year for catastrophic coverage.

There's 817 high schools and 873 middle schools that are members of the OHSAA. If the schools paid the PIAA average of $450 a year by size (880 - and Above = $ 675.00
500 - 879= $ 625.00
241 - 499 = $ 575.00
1 - 240= $ 525.00,
While junior highs paid $250 regardless of size)...

1690 members X $450 average is.... $760,500. Which would cover the catastrophic loss coverage of all the schools.

That's assuming you can get everyone to jump ship which won't happen. And even if it did...they'd have to get money from somewhere too. The major hurdle this year is attendance. And that won't change by simply starting new organization.

Ah yeah that’s good optics for the ‘we’re playing for the kids’- hey team, that tournament you guys want to compete in? sorry we’re actually opting out so we can make a little more money.
Understand and agree with your statement completely but it doesn’t change the question if this could in fact drive sone schools to opt out

This is a classic case of not preparing in the feast for when the famine comes. So the schools are supposed to absorb the loss from the virus, AND fund the the losses the OHSAA - an independent organization - has suffered.

Someone wake e up in 2021.
Exactly.....

At the very least it merits discussion.

In my opinion the OHSAA has always been a self serving entity. This merely the last straw.