Ohio's version of "Hoosiers"

Which Ohio team most closely compares to the Milan team in "Hoosiers"?

• 1934 & 1935 Waterloo Wonders

• 1946 Farmer Tigers (the "Dirty Shirts")

• 1949 Miller City Wildcats

• 1992 Berlin Hiland

• 2000 Fort Jennings

• 2006 South Webster

• 2008 New Knoxville

• 2015 Defiance

• 2018 Marion Local

• Other

• 1928 Marshall

Results are only viewable after voting.

Insane92

Interestingly enough they knocked off unbeaten New Knoxville in the regional final......and they only played 5-6 guys a game consistently.
True, they did beat that young New Knoxville team that year by 3 in the Regionals. But we all saw what they did the next year. Not discounting what Georgetown did but just my opinion of that year.

Being that I had 2 uncles(brothers) on the team, I have to go with the 1949 Miller City Wildcats. If memory serves me correctly from family stories, both uncles went to New Cleveland school until it was consolidated into Miller City Schools.
Joe Lammers, Frank Schroeder, and the Meyer boys (Ralph & Roy) all lived near each other close to New Cleveland. New Cleveland never had a high school, but did have a grade school. Attached is a picture of the 1950 MC Wildcats.
MC 1950-1.jpg

Irish60

Insane92

Here's an article about the 1996 Springfield Catholic Central championship. Courtesy of the Springfield News-Sun. Jason Collier is another one of those players who doesn't get enough mention in the "Best Players from Ohio" conversation.

https://www.springfieldnewssun.com/news/local/springfield-catholic-central-won-state-title-game-years-ago-today/M2OPwcFbSnHMnAkfT3K2UK/
I’m well aware because Lincolnview lost to them but ran the table in 97. Heck, that Lincolnview team is one of the best d4 teams ever too from 97.

El Indio

It would be a great movie, coming from Springfield and being one of the best unmentioned player that had a heart of gold and made the big leagues. That's all.

El Indio

Agreed, but when you say Springfield, some think Akron area due to Akron Springfield. I just thought it would make a great movie. Nothing more, nothing less.

Irish60

Here is a bio on Jason Collier courtesy of the Ohio Basketball Hall of Fame. Jason was inducted in 2018. Sadly, he passed away at the age of 28 due to an enlarged heart. It's only fitting that he, and his Springfield Catholic Central team, be remembered here.

https://ohiobasketballhalloffame.com/hall-of-fame/inductees/2018/jason-collier.html

And lest we forget the team and the title itself... (Courtesy of the Springfield News-Sun)

https://www.springfieldnewssun.com/news/local/springfield-catholic-central-won-state-title-game-years-ago-today/M2OPwcFbSnHMnAkfT3K2UK/

IVCguy

Georgetown's undefeated state title run has to be one of the most underrated out there...no one saw it coming...few even noticed they were unbeaten in the regular season....and no one's really mentioned it since.
A team of destiny. Really remarkable what they did.

My son was a post for the Berlin Hiland team that Gtown squeaked by in the semis. He wont talk about that game to this day. Lol. Gtown went on to blow out Worthington Christian in the finals, so the Hawks felt like that was a championship that got away.

From the Hiland perspective, it was one of the most bizarre games in school history. The Hawks got out to a 16-5 lead after 1. They had a star injured player that had been in a coma and the team had been playing for him. He was put into the game early in the 2nd qtr and something weird happened psychologically to that team. They did not score a single point that qtr and trailed 21-16 at half.

The entire 2nd half was about Hiland trying to get their heads on straight. Neither team could score down the stretch in a 1 point game. Remarkably, Hiland's best player never touched the ball the last 8 possessions.

But those Georgetown kids did what they had to do, took advantage of their opportunities and were very deserving champs. But dont mention that to my son!

Irish60

You may want to add Marshall to your list. They were 1928 Class B champions. I do not know what there enrollment was, but it could not have been very high. Today, they are part of Hillsboro's school district. The old school is still standing. Here is a link about their team: https://www.timesgazette.com/sports/17742/marshall-high-school-had-an-incredible-three-years-from-1927-1929-featuring-a-state-championship-in-1928
A worthy candidate! I've added them to the poll!