Ohio's tournaments...coronavirus may throw a wrench into it

Someone should work w the OHSAA and televise ALL the games since no one will be able to see them. No way in hell they dont do the same next week for boys. Have to listen to preferential treatment or twisted Title 9 bull . It would have nothing to do w title 9 but that's what they'll scream.

From Twitter

OHSAA executive director Jerry Snodgrass said he and his staff are working to ensure that those unable to attend tournament events will be able to see them via live video. During the state tournament, under normal circumstances, only Spectrum is allowed to broadcast live video.

Meanwhile Nancy Pelosi is attempting to introduce emergency legislation that would undue Trumps imposed ban on flights from infected countries. Sounds like half the gov't doesnt really care about this virus.

But of course you know that this is fake news. The attempt to undo the imposed ban is from January and has nothing to do with the coronavirus, but has everything to do with not wanting people from other countries coming to the US.

"The statement comes after the Trump administration announced it would restrict the ability of immigrants from Nigeria, Myanmar, Eritrea, Kyrgyzstan, Sudan and Tanzania to get certain immigration visas. The new policy does not amount to a blanket travel ban.
Friday’s proclamation will suspend immigrant visas for nationals of Kyrgyzstan, Myanmar, Eritrea, Nigeria. The restriction only applies to those seeking to live in the U.S. permanently rather than temporary residence. It will also restrict diversity visas for nationals of Sudan and Tanzania."

The governor is being proactive, since no one knows what the effects of this virus will be. Some will say "panicked," others will say, " cautious." I'd rather err on the side of caution.

How much of this is actual precaution and how much of it is not leaving themselves open to getting sued? I feel that this is a difficult decision but can't help but think about the liability and legal ends of it.
How could anyone prove that they got coronavirus from attending a bball game. Really feel sorry for Parkway's bball fans, 1st time ever to the regionals and won't be able to attend.

From Twitter

OHSAA executive director Jerry Snodgrass said he and his staff are working to ensure that those unable to attend tournament events will be able to see them via live video. During the state tournament, under normal circumstances, only Spectrum is allowed to broadcast live video.
Oh boy that is the same as being at the game.

How could anyone prove that they got coronavirus from attending a bball game. Really feel sorry for Parkway's bball fans, 1st time ever to the regionals and won't be able to attend.
They get to watch tonight, its the finals they will miss out on, if they win tonight. I actually think Tiffin pulls tonight though

Than ZERO PEOPLE SHOULD BE ALLOWED IN AS FANS. The virus will not care if your acquaintance is playing or not. Talking about this on WTAM this afternoon
We have a responsibility to each to not become infected. The fewer people at an event reduces the risk of spreading. South Korea aggressively closed schools, cancelled events, etc. and now the virus appears to be on the decline in South Korea. I am certainly not happy about the governor's decision, but I think he is acting in the best interest of Ohioans.

This virus is unknown. So your comparison is not exactly on point. I

And there is no way of knowing exactly how prevalent it is because the only confirmed cases are those who have been tested. So, the actual number is without a doubt a lot higher. And from what we know about the confirmed cases is that so far, there is about a 3.5 percent fatality rate worldwide (so far, the US is above that at close to 5 percent as of yesterday). And for elderly, coronavirus has been more about 10 percent fatal. Yes, there are a lot more people who actually have this that we don't know about (and survived, or will survive) which probably would bring down the true fatal percentage, but probably a lot of people who have had it and died but the cause was never confirmed as coronavirus because they were never tested.

Either way, this thing, even if it's simply because there isn't a vaccine for it yet, is way more deadly than the seasonal flu, so far.

And yes, schools have been closed and events canceled/postponed (several in Ohio within the past month or so) for the seasonal flu.

More people die everyday from car crashes ... but we still get in a car everyday and drive ?

Have 3.5 percent of people who have gotten in a car the past four months died in a car accident?

We also have traffic laws, seatbelts and speed limits (though, personally I think Highway Patrol sitting on medians every couple of miles actually makes driving on highways more unsafe than speed limits, but I digress). Should we not take those precautions, though???

Have 3.5 percent of people who have gotten in a car the past four months died in a car accident?

We also have traffic laws, seatbelts and speed limits (though, personally I think Highway Patrol sitting on medians every couple of miles actually makes driving on highways more unsafe than speed limits, but I digress). Should we not take those precautions, though???
Of course wash your hands

This virus is unknown. So your comparison is not exactly on point. I
Exactly, people are scared of the unknown. Flu kills many more people young and old but it has been around forever so people accept it and live with it. So far 3000 people in China ( pop. of 1.4 billion ) have died from COVID - 19 that is an astronomically low %.

It's just for the "near future" to limit the spread of COVID 19--if you limit the # of people exposed and thusly keep the infected #'s down--it's being proactive and not waiting til too late--fans can listen on radio, watch TV, or follow on twitter-- DeWine and Ohio Health experts are right!!
The students at Miami just had all classes moved to on-line until 4-11. Yet the dining halls and library remain open. I just got a snapchat of the students celebrating at a local bar and line out the door at the liquor store. Brilliant. This is a gong show.

One of the worst days so far for Coronavirus was the 10th of February. On that day, 108 persons in CHINA died of coronavirus.
BUT, on that same day:
26,283 people died of Cancer
24,641 died of Heart Disease
4,300 people died of Diabetes
and on that day, Suicide, unfortunately, took more lives than the virus did, by 28 times.
Moreover, Mosquitoes kill 2,740 people every day, HUMANS kill 1,300 fellow humans every day, and Snakes kill 137 people every day.
Take a deep breath, and wash your hands.”

The problem here is overhype and over reaction. So far 26 people dead in the US with an aveage age of 80. Yes the virus has no vaccine and spreads relatively easily. DeWine with a clear CYA move here. Why are the Bluejackets still playing in front of packed houses. Hyprocrisy! Shut it all down or don't Mike.

REGIONAL BOYS BASKETBALL
Beginning Wednesday, student-athletes on the participating school tournament roster (players and cheerleaders) can designate four family members to purchase a ticket for the game. Coaches for that team can each designate two family members to purchase tickets. School administrators and the bus drive each receive one free ticket for themselves and a guest. Each regional site will work with the participating schools regarding its team list and ticket sales process, which will be cash only at entry.

And there is no way of knowing exactly how prevalent it is because the only confirmed cases are those who have been tested. So, the actual number is without a doubt a lot higher. And from what we know about the confirmed cases is that so far, there is about a 3.5 percent fatality rate worldwide (so far, the US is above that at close to 5 percent as of yesterday). And for elderly, coronavirus has been more about 10 percent fatal. Yes, there are a lot more people who actually have this that we don't know about (and survived, or will survive) which probably would bring down the true fatal percentage, but probably a lot of people who have had it and died but the cause was never confirmed as coronavirus because they were never tested.

Either way, this thing, even if it's simply because there isn't a vaccine for it yet, is way more deadly than the seasonal flu, so far.

And yes, schools have been closed and events canceled/postponed (several in Ohio within the past month or so) for the seasonal flu.
Stats are deceiving. 5% rate in the US includes ten 80 year olds in a nursing home in Washington. How many confirmed deaths between the ages of 15-55 in the US?

Will be empty in the Schott next weekend.

just like it’s looked the last several years with some of these fly-by-night storefront schools participating

One of the worst days so far for Coronavirus was the 10th of February. On that day, 108 persons in CHINA died of coronavirus.
BUT, on that same day:
26,283 people died of Cancer
24,641 died of Heart Disease
4,300 people died of Diabetes
and on that day, Suicide, unfortunately, took more lives than the virus did, by 28 times.
Moreover, Mosquitoes kill 2,740 people every day, HUMANS kill 1,300 fellow humans every day, and Snakes kill 137 people every day.
Take a deep breath, and wash your hands.”

. Yes the virus has no vaccine and spreads relatively easily.

Is there something about "virus" you don't want to understand? Your cancer doesnt give anyone else cancer. Your heart disease doesn't give anyone else heart disease, let alone in true exponential fashion.

The reaction is because this virus as opposed to others is not considered understood. Precaution with a game is not going to dramatically change anyone's life. A virus out of hand, will.

You'll survive the inconvenience, promise.

Update from the OHSAA:
So what about the refunds for those who bought boys basketball tickets ? Seeing nothing on that

Another total over reaction.....

How many Americans in the US die from the regular flu during a season? About 40,000
How many Americans die in car crashes a given year..... hey, we all drive to games....

I've been screaming about the soccer mom mentality for years and once again here it is.

OSU have closed classes but I am betting they will allow fans at the Michigan/OSU hockey game on Sunday......