Ohio State Football 2023

JSN as well. Don’t think there was ever a real threat to drop out of the first for him but with the injury he was probably headed to the second half of the first round. The OSU Pro Day 40 time won’t be as accurate as the combine would have, but he’ll need to have a solid showing there and I think he’ll be a lock for the top 15. He had some elite agility and change of direction numbers over the weekend.
It was fun to watch Big Thanos run the 40 though. 😂

JSN as well. Don’t think there was ever a real threat to drop out of the first for him but with the injury he was probably headed to the second half of the first round. The OSU Pro Day 40 time won’t be as accurate as the combine would have, but he’ll need to have a solid showing there and I think he’ll be a lock for the top 15. He had some elite agility and change of direction numbers over the weekend.
wish JSN could have played against the Bulldogs... Bucks would have had another trophy for the Woody!!

I'm not sure he belongs there, but I imagine Dawand is going to sneak into the back end of the first round. Dude moved awfully dang well for being historically big in literally every physical measurable (height, weight, reach, wingspan, hand size, etc.).

JSN's three cone and 20 yard shuttle times were the best at the combine...at this point if I were interested in him the only part of the 40 time that matters is the 10 yard split checking out with the three cone and shuttle. Elite quickness and change of direction.

Guys that primarily line up in the slot don't get the same love as the best outside WRs, but the ones that are the best in the slot group are an absolute matchup nightmare whether it's an outside linebacker, safety, or an extra corner trying to guard them.

Day meeting with media post first spring practice. Notable comments:
- building depth at punt return with EE out by having Marvin Harrison Jr return punts, wants to get him more involved.
- Fryar currently at LT while Michalski and Tegra battle at RT.
-True freshmen WRs are already pushing second year wideouts

Don’t love Harrison, or EE for that matter, returning punts. I like EE’s electricity there but think both are too important to the passing game to risk injury. Would rather a sure handed guy like a Xavier Johnson back there. I think Fryar is going to be a good one. Maybe not future 1st rounder, but good.
Yikes for the second year wideouts. I know it was a bit underwhelming group by Hartline standards but the early enrollees have only been around for like 8 weeks.

Other bits of note from practice:
- McCord took the first set of reps followed by Brown, expected
- Burke and Hancock led the CBs followed by Igbinoson and Jyaire Brown. S’s led by Ransom and Proctor followed by Jahad Carter and Cam Martinez with Stokes and Styles hitting 3rd. I expect/hope to see Stokes, Styles and Carter to rise to 1st/2nd team.

Last edited:
Knowles said they’re going to get Styles on the field a lot. Won’t be practicing a lot of the Jack position for anyone this spring and that Sawyer specifically will work exclusively at DE this spring. More rotation at LB this season. Since Chambers and Eich are both back, hopefully this means the guys behind them made big enough strides to warrant taking away snaps from the two. I think Eich led all defensive players in snaps and Chambers was near the top too.

Feel bad for the second year WRs, that comment by Day was damning. I expect 1-3 transfers from the WR group post spring.

Igbinosun appears to be the talk of a few different OSU sites after this session. This guy didn’t come here to sit on the bench, he’s starting and the question is who he starts over. I honestly would rather have him start over Burke. Hancock is more physically gifted and with a full offseason being healthy he could make the jump. Burke is what he is at this point.

Just imagine a starting secondary of Igbinosun, Hancock, Styles, Stokes, Carter. Good luck trying to fit the ball in there against that size and length.

Words only mean so much especially in todays college football world but, for depth purposes and because I think he has a bright future, awesome to hear Devin Brown say he has no plans to transfer should he lose the QB battle.

Eh. Michigan has totally flipped the narrative due to being able to pair consecutive decisive wins with ducking what would have likely been a major whooping during the 2020 COVID season when they appeared to hit rock bottom. That is what it is. Ryan Day has to do better.

he was my first FAVORITE buckeye as a child..... loved him at Green Bay!!! ran HARD lifted his KNEES really HIGH as he ran.

read a article yesterday, where all the coaches( Rudy Hubbard the RB coach said this) thought he should have been starting over Celina native Jim Otis.... but Woody roomed with Otis's dad in college, and Woody said Otis is starting. ( OTIS was pretty dang good too) the SUPER SOPHOMORE class!!!

Last edited:
he was my first FAVORITE buckeye as a child..... loved him at Green Bay!!! ran HARD lifted his KNEES really HIGH as he ran.

read a article yesterday, where all the coaches( Rudy Hubbard the RB coach said this) thought he should have been starting over Celina native Jim Otis.... but Woody roomed with Otis's dad in college, and Woody said Otis is starting. ( OTIS was pretty dang good too) the SUPER SOPHOMORE class!!!
As an aside, Rudy Hubbard thought he should have gotten more touches (as did the guys in my family) when he was the FB. Just recently, I came across an old article on the net that went into some detail about Woody and Rudy's relationship and how they became friends. Glad I found it.

RIP John Brockington

The transfer portal opens back up Saturday. Heard on The Podcast that OSU has targeted two offensive tackles hoping to get one of them. The Podcast is predicting 8-10 Buckeyes to enter the portal. Year round football news out of Columbus.

The spring game was disappointing. Defense overwhelmed the Offense without blitzing. Either OSU D-line is very good or the O-line is a major problem. The D-backs did well in coverage but dropped 4 or 5 interceptions. Fortunately Archie Griffin scored a touchdown to make the score more respectable. Great day to be at the shoe. Just wish I could have seen more positive play on the field.

The spring game was disappointing. Defense overwhelmed the Offense without blitzing. Either OSU D-line is very good or the O-line is a major problem. The D-backs did well in coverage but dropped 4 or 5 interceptions. Fortunately Archie Griffin scored a touchdown to make the score more respectable. Great day to be at the shoe. Just wish I could have seen more positive play on the field.
A couple takeaways from my perspective.

I get Miyan Williams is injury prone but to not have him get hit and have Hayden get throttled is an awful look. Simply do not have Williams play. The Buckeyes suddenly have some real depth at RB with Henderson, Williams, Hayden, and Traynum.

The D line will be the Buckeye strong suit. I was also impressed with corner play. They pressed and were aggressive.

The QB play was bad. Hopefully Brown is the answer but is all I could think was this is the best tOSU can do?

I'm a broken record in this regard but OSU has gotten away from doing the little things right. The WR group is as talented as anyone in the country but they carry themselves as arrogant. They walk around on the field and appear lazy. And finally, the offense is simply not physical. Day's offense will score points when the Buckeyes can overwhelm an opponent with their firepower but when they face a stiff D they will struggle. The O line was atrocious.

A couple takeaways from my perspective.

I get Miyan Williams is injury prone but to not have him get hit and have Hayden get throttled is an awful look. Simply do not have Williams play. The Buckeyes suddenly have some real depth at RB with Henderson, Williams, Hayden, and Traynum.

The D line will be the Buckeye strong suit. I was also impressed with corner play. They pressed and were aggressive.

The QB play was bad. Hopefully Brown is the answer but is all I could think was this is the best tOSU can do?

I'm a broken record in this regard but OSU has gotten away from doing the little things right. The WR group is as talented as anyone in the country but they carry themselves as arrogant. They walk around on the field and appear lazy. And finally, the offense is simply not physical. Day's offense will score points when the Buckeyes can overwhelm an opponent with their firepower but when they face a stiff D they will struggle. The O line was atrocious.
They put up 41 against Georgia. Most importantly it’s freaking April. If they lose against Notre Dame 5 months from now you can complain all you want

An offensive line returning only two starters and replacing both tackles should struggle in the spring against what ought to be one of the better defensive line units in the country. It's a glorified scrimmage after a few weeks of practice. Do they need to improve? Absolutely, but I wouldn't panic about it until it looks bad in the fall.