Ohio rules question

Is it a violation of Ohio High School rules to tell kids the teams have already been picked prior to try outs or is it just bad form?

Sounds like bad form to me. How can the coach know the talent level of the other 40? Kids improve, it happens.

With preseason conditioning, camps, and other observations, I would imagine every coach has a good idea who will be on what team before try outs. If I were to guess, evaluations start in February or March when returning players and incoming freshmen turn in information sheets to the coach.

At a large school, it would be hard for a non club player to make the varsity team. That seems logical to me but might not be 100% true.

With preseason conditioning, camps, and other observations, I would imagine every coach has a good idea who will be on what team before try outs. If I were to guess, evaluations start in February or March when returning players and incoming freshmen turn in information sheets to the coach.

At a large school, it would be hard for a non club player to make the varsity team. That seems logical to me but might not be 100% true.

Yes but it sounds like the original post was saying the coach stated that the teams were already picked. If he did this why would some girls even try out. I don't know if its a violation but definitely not cool.

Yes but it sounds like the original post was saying the coach stated that the teams were already picked. If he did this why would some girls even try out. I don't know if its a violation but definitely not cool.

Right, plus there are incoming Freshmen that the coach may not have had exposure to, as well as the occasional new student that may have moved into the district. Also, a current player could get hurt, lose interest in the sport, stop progressing, etc....A good coach should always keep his/her options open

As I understand it, there needs to be a tryout and that would be the first session of the year with mandatory attendance. Sure, each coach has an "idea" of what the teams will look like, but it's definitely bad form to announce it. Kids have vacations, jobs, other sports, regionals, nationals, etc... over the summer and should be properly evaluated once everyone is there.

Teams are already picked before tryouts in every HS program and for that matter select. Coaches have seen what they needed to see leading up to them. Tryouts are just a dog and pony show for the parents. Allows the AD to say.........Hey we had tryouts, Lil Mia just did not make the cut.

Teams are already picked before tryouts in every HS program and for that matter select. Coaches have seen what they needed to see leading up to them. Tryouts are just a dog and pony show for the parents. Allows the AD to say.........Hey we had tryouts, Lil Mia just did not make the cut.

Incorrect. True, coaches have an idea of how things will play out, but MANY times, kids come to tryouts, show well, and coaches make changes/additions.

Incorrect. True, coaches have an idea of how things will play out, but MANY times, kids come to tryouts, show well, and coaches make changes/additions.

Agree. Obviously Bucky has never coached before. While coaches have a good idea, often there are spots up for grabs. I would say it would be common that on an 18 man roster, 13-15 of the spots are set and the rest up for grabs. Of course, this is a broad generalization...

I think the point here is that this particular coach, if true, is really being unethical and unfair to the kids by announcing the team is set.

The coach can probably do this, but I would guess the OHSAA would frown upon this if brought to their attention. The coach could probably select their team over the summer, but they cannot make anything mandatory or at least state it is mandatory over the summer. It certainly would be unethical to announce teams prior to the first day of mandatory try-outs. I would not want to be the coach or AD that has to deal with the parents of the players that are cut.

Because I am bored with some other work I am doing I looked this up.....

From the Q and A section of the OHSAA Soccer Coaches Guide-

Q: How many days do I have to give before making ‘cuts’ or ‘team selections’?
A: The OHSAA does not regulate this. But, common sense is always urged and I STRONGLY recommend you ask this question to your Athletic
Director prior to making any ‘cuts’ or team selections (JV-A, JV-B, etc.)