Ohio High School Helmet Tournament!

dhs22p

Lately on twitter there has been a movement to have a National High School Helmet Tournament. So I have decided to do my part and host the Ohio High School Helmet Tournament! Ive come up with two (160 team) brackets! I tried to include classic designs as well as newer designs. I apologize in advance if your team did not make either bracket. I will post some match-ups on my twitter each day with a poll attached to it. The poll will run for 24 hours. The winner of the Ohio tournament will be entered into the National tournament!

Here are the Brackets (click on link):
Red Bracket
Blue Bracket

Last edited:

This is really neat. Thanks for doing this!

Just as an FYI: I don't know about the other browsers, but with Microsoft Edge I can only go so far down with the brackets in the html - even if it is full screen mode. I can see the entire brackets if I click on the "print" link, though.

For anyone else having that issue, you can see the entire brackets top-to-bottom here: Blue Bracket and Red Bracket

Just as an FYI: I don't know about the other browsers, but with Microsoft Edge I can only go so far down with the brackets in the html - even if it is full screen mode. I can see the entire brackets if I click on the "print" link, though.

For anyone else having that issue, you can see the entire brackets top-to-bottom here: Blue Bracket and Red Bracket
Thanks for posting those links so others can see it!

Great idea, I hope it doesn't become a popularity contest and some lame helmet wins because their fan base comes out in force to vote. If it was up to me here are my criteria in order>

1) Aesthetics: Bottom line, does it look cool? Also for me team colors come into play and the color of the facemask.
2) Originality: How many paw print helmets are in Ohio? How many Wisconsin Ws. Green Bay Gs? Originality reigns!
3) Historical Continuity: Updating a look is OK as long as it doesn't get too out of hand; when I see a name I expect a certain helmet identity.

Last edited:
Great idea, I hope it doesn't become a popularity contest and some lame helmet wins because their fan base comes out in force to vote. If it was up to my here are my criteria in order>

1) Aesthetics: Bottom line, does it look cool? Also for me team colors come into play and the color of the facemask.
2) Originality: How many paw print helmets are in Ohio? How many Wisconsin Ws. Green Bay Gs? Originality reigns!
3) Historical Continuity: Updating a look is OK as long as it doesn't get too out of hand; when I see a name I expect a certain helmet identity.
@pa_fb_history started it in PA and then @end2008, who does a ton of graphics work and also helmet graphics started looking to do it nationally.

Unfortunately it starts as a popularity contest but after the first few rounds there enough non-fans of schools that design alone starts to win out.

For instance a small school in PA won.

To see the winners of other states and which states are currently in the tournament. Hopefully all 50 plus DC gets involved.

Because then they'll have a nationwide elimination tournament.

Something cool to pass the time with no sports.

My alma mater, Colerain, was matched up with London, the alma mater of one of my best friends and roommates from OU.

Thought that was pretty crazy given all the possible matchups!

@pa_fb_history started it in PA and then @end2008, who does a ton of graphics work and also helmet graphics started looking to do it nationally.

Unfortunately it starts as a popularity contest but after the first few rounds there enough non-fans of schools that design alone starts to win out.

For instance a small school in PA won.

To see the winners of other states and which states are currently in the tournament. Hopefully all 50 plus DC gets involved.

Because then they'll have a nationwide elimination tournament.

Something cool to pass the time with no sports.

There are a couple cool helmets so far, I personally like the more classic look so I lean to the ones from GA, IA, & NE. I think the one from PA is too busy but I really hate the one from IL, the Bunny with carrot helmet stickers?!? Not even a Pop Warner team should be sporting something like that.

AR-200429811.jpg

Did Ravenna recently update their helmet? I don't remember the subtle raven head in the "R". I like that but also having another raven on the front in the helmet stripe seems like over kill. Could be an interesting vote if they come up against Benedictine. I know they are a team I follow but many folks have told me the Benny helmet is one of the more recognized ones in the state. I always thought an overs sized treatment of the iconic Flying "B" like the Fremont Little Giant above would be cool but I have been told the Benedictine helmet is to the point that it will never change.
ClevBenedictine1.jpg

There are a couple cool helmets so far, I personally like the more classic look so I lean to the ones from GA, IA, & NE. I think the one from PA is too busy but I really hate the one from IL, the Bunny with carrot helmet stickers?!? Not even a Pop Warner team should be sporting something like that.

AR-200429811.jpg
It's interesting to see how the individual matchups happen. Some clearly are favored by the larger fan base or more well known teams. But some aren't.

Unique seems to be the guiding principle. Plain helmets or just regular letters or nfl or collegiate clones aren't big in votes.

Colors also seem to play a role. Red, orange, and vibrant blue seem to get upvoted more when comparable.

Also seems to be some bias in how each state has done it. PA did it with 4 helmets against each other and did it by district so it was more a local rivalry thing. And all 500+ helmets were done. Some only are taking submissions by schools. Some are only picking out unique or well known helmets in their state. And most other states are going head to head.

Will see how it goes with the national tournament later. Hopefully all 50 plus DC gets into it.

Greeneview has a really sharp helmet. i saw one that really stuck out but i forget who it was. Wadsworth was a personal favorite

Did Ravenna recently update their helmet? I don't remember the subtle raven head in the "R". I like that but also having another raven on the front in the helmet stripe seems like over kill. Could be an interesting vote if they come up against Benedictine. I know they are a team I follow but many folks have told me the Benny helmet is one of the more recognized ones in the state. I always thought an overs sized treatment of the iconic Flying "B" like the Fremont Little Giant above would be cool but I have been told the Benedictine helmet is to the point that it will never change.
ClevBenedictine1.jpg

Some may think that this is a semi knock-off of the Cincinnati Bengals' "B" but I think it's the other way around!

Cincinnati-Bengals-emblem-2004-Present.png

Still looks like a popularity contest to me with many lame helmets beating out solid ones. Ironton?!? Why cardinal heads, paw prints, and plain helmets are still in the field is only because these schools have large followings or their fans are coming out in force to vote. Maybe have dhs22p nominate 64 of his top Ohio helmets and let folks that have come to this thread talk it out and have a critics choice winner.

Still looks like a popularity contest to me with many lame helmets beating out solid ones. Ironton?!? Why cardinal heads, paw prints, and plain helmets are still in the field is only because these schools have large followings or their fans are coming out in force to vote. Maybe have dhs22p nominate 64 of his top Ohio helmets and let folks that have come to this thread talk it out and have a critics choice winner.
i while i don’t think it is entirely a popularity contest, how Ironton keeps winning is beyond me

When there are two helmets facing off and one is an original design and the other an NFL/NCAA etc. borrowed logo, I always pick the unique one (except for Colerain's when they were still in ;)).

The design for Lucas bothered me having a full grown bear on the helmet for a school that's the "Cubs."

When there are two helmets facing off and one is an original design and the other an NFL/NCAA etc. borrowed logo, I always pick the unique one (except for Colerain's when they were still in ;)).

The design for Lucas bothered me having a full grown bear on the helmet for a school that's the "Cubs."
The Mighty Cubs! The bear is a little oversized. Lol.

Attachments

• CubsHelmet.png
    CubsHelmet.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 13
To be honest I thought this was kind of dumb in the beginning. Because some helmets look good digitally. So I started in the later rounds to google the teams to see what the helmet actually looked like with the home and away uniforms. Some of these don't match what they wear or look very tacky on the actual helmet compared to the digital helmet.

Yeah I am a nerd or whatever you wanna say for doing that. But it intrigued me to see what some of these popular helmets looked like with a uniform.

To be honest I thought this was kind of dumb in the beginning. Because some helmets look good digitally. So I started in the later rounds to google the teams to see what the helmet actually looked like with the home and away uniforms. Some of these don't match what they wear or look very tacky on the actual helmet compared to the digital helmet.

Yeah I am a nerd or whatever you wanna say for doing that. But it intrigued me to see what some of these popular helmets looked like with a uniform.
I don’t think it’s dumb, as it’s a fun activity for us fans to vote on in these teams.

The software dhs uses does a good job, but of course it can’t capture completely reflective sheens or glosses on a helmet under the lights (hello, Lucas Cubs.) But, eh, that’s a small price to give up for the rest of the effective design and obvious effort he put in. When it’s all said and done, OP will have posted... what, 160 polls on Twitter to have kept track of to crown a champ?

I can appreciate what you are saying. I know the Colerain helmet looks better in real life as players fill in the negative space over the season with stars much like the Buckeye leafs. That wasn't shown on their image.

Some logos may look neat but the decals are too large/small when placed on helmets.

I also know it's a tradition for a lot of schools for players to get their helmet decals on the day of the first game and place them on themselves. But a lot of times they are not done well and look bad-especially when there is only one spot for them to go and look right.

If you like helmet/uniform aesthetics, you should check out Uni-Watch.com. It's a daily blog about new uniforms, logos etc. for pro, college, and amateur teams from all over the world (including high school if something more noteworthy).