Official 2020 Region 1 thread

In the last 20 years, the Region 1 winner lost in the semifinal just twice. St Edward (the famous 3rd and 30 if I remember right) lost in 2005 to Massillon. Mentor, humbled by the worst defense ever and an injury to Brandon Fritts in the 1st quarter, lost to Whitmer in 2012.

But you are right. When St Ignatius is good...they're really good. The "best" St Ignatius team to not win it all over the past 20 years was quite possibly the 2012 team. IMO, they were just as good or better than the 2008 and 2016 teams. St Ignatius has "only" won three regional titles in 18 seasons. But they won two state titles in those seasons. One thing you can say about Chico and that program...when they are good enough to get there, they win. Only two exceptions in 13 tries which is quite impressive.

2012 was a pretty memorable playoff year for Region 1 with the back-to-back high scoring affairs between Ed's/Mentor/Ignatius. All were quite capable of winning the championship that year. Mentor certainly did not have a state champion caliber defense, but that was a special offense (even by Mentor standards). As you said, the injury to Fritts proved detrimental in a game in which they would have needed to have every available weapon to match a talented Whitmer team.

2012 was a pretty memorable playoff year for Region 1 with the back-to-back high scoring affairs between Ed's/Mentor/Ignatius. All were quite capable of winning the championship that year. Mentor certainly did not have a state champion caliber defense, but that was a special offense (even by Mentor standards). As you said, the injury to Fritts proved detrimental in a game in which they would have needed to have every available weapon to match a talented Whitmer team.
Trubisky made plays in that playoff game against Ignatius that were ridiculous. Fritts was also amazing in that game, overshadowing a great game by the Cats WR Siragusa. And let's not forget about Tim Mcvey, who scored literally the last two plays he every touched the ball on offense for Ignatius.

Go for 2 Chico! Give it to McVey!

Trubisky made plays in that playoff game against Ignatius that were ridiculous. Fritts was also amazing in that game, overshadowing a great game by the Cats WR Siragusa. And let's not forget about Tim Mcvey, who scored literally the last two plays he every touched the ball on offense for Ignatius.

Go for 2 Chico! Give it to McVey!

There was fantastic play (offensively anyway) all around. And even defensively, for the most part Mentor had their best defensive game of the playoffs. They had "held" the mighty St Ignatius offense to just 28 points with under a minute or so left in the 4th quarter. Compared to many other scores that Mentor defense has surrendered over the years AND considering how good St Ignatius was that season, I couldn't have asked for much more. Then Triv went in a prevent defense (including putting Trubisky, Krizancic, and Fritts in the secondary at times I believe). This allowed LaManna to pick apart the defense and get a quick score to tie the game. After scoring five touchdowns a piece in regulation, each team scored three in OT - inflating the overall score. It wasn't a defensive slugfest...but it was not the track meet like the 2015 game was.

Triv should've gone for two in the first OT. I screamed it from the stands at the time and I still to this day feel he got incredibly lucky. People call him smart. That he learned from Hilliard Davidson game to "be aggressive." He wasn't aggressive. He waited for the third OT. 9 out of 10 coaches in Ohio would have gone for two in the first OT if you give that coach Trubisky at QB with Krizancic/Fritts at WR. Triv got lucky that Chico was even more chicken and conservative than he was.

McVey was one of the best football players I have seen over the past 20 years at the HS level. Siragusa was fantastic too. LaMana doesn't seem to get enough credit. I think he was one of the more talented QB's at Ignatius since 2000.

Last edited:
There was fantastic play (offensively anyway) all around. And even defensively, for the most part Mentor had their best defensive game of the playoffs. They had "held" the mighty St Ignatius offense to just 28 points with under a minute or so left in the 4th quarter. Compared to many other scores that Mentor defense has surrendered over the years AND considering how good St Ignatius was that season, I couldn't have asked for much more. Than Triv went in a prevent defense (including putting Trubisky, Krizancic, and Fritts in the secondary at times I believe). This allowed LaManna to pick apart the defense and get a quick score to tie the game. After scoring five touchdowns a piece in regulation, each team scored three in OT - inflating the overall score. It wasn't a defensive slugfest...but it was not the track meet like the 2015 game was.

Triv should've gone for two in the first OT. I screamed it from the stands at the time and I still to this day feel he got incredibly lucky. People call him smart. That he learned from Hilliard Davidson game to "be aggressive." He wasn't aggressive. He waited for the third OT. 9 out of 10 coaches in Ohio would have gone for two in the first OT if you give that coach Trubisky at QB with Krizancic/Fritts at WR. Triv got lucky that Chico was even more chicken and conservative than he was.

McVey was one of the best football players I have seen over the past 20 years at the HS level. Siragusa was fantastic too. LaMana doesn't seem to get enough credit. I think he was one of the more talented QB's at Ignatius since 2000.
Great summary, cardz.

I don't know what i was more annoyed by, Kyle not going for two in regulation (after the miracle Siragusa TD) or his saying even today he wouldn't change. He really thought the Ignatius defense was going to "make a play"

Agree on McVey. Not big at all, but tough as nails and a great football player.

Probably a stupid question, but can fans buy tickets to the Ignatius v Solon game tomorrow?

Great summary, cardz.

I don't know what i was more annoyed by, Kyle not going for two in regulation (after the miracle Siragusa TD) or his saying even today he wouldn't change. He really thought the Ignatius defense was going to "make a play"

Agree on McVey. Not big at all, but tough as nails and a great football player.

Probably a stupid question, but can fans buy tickets to the Ignatius v Solon game tomorrow?

The game is at B-W and looks like it will be on SIBN. Don't think there has been a change in ticket policy.

The St Ignatius/Solon game is very interesting. The loser of this game finishes without a win* for the season. Neither team had the highest of hopes heading into the season, but I don't think either thought it was possible to go winless. Obviously, the double shortened season plays a huge role into their current records. If they had the schedules that were on the docket last spring/early summer, things would look quite different.

Is there any chance at all this is the last game for either/both of these longtime coaches? McQuaide's son is a senior. He has been coaching for quite a while. Things are only going to get worse at Solon, maybe a lot worse. If there was a time to get out, now seems like the time. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a mutual decision. If Kyle and the Cats lose to a struggling Solon team in the first round, will there be more and more chatter that it is time to move on?

*I know St Ignatius had a non-OHSAA win

Some interesting statistics about Region 1 over the past 20 years:

The last time a team other than St Edward, St Ignatius, or Mentor was in a Region 1 final...Stow (2015)
The last time a team other than St Edward, St Ignatius, or Mentor won Region 1...Glenville (2009)
The last time a current Region 1 team other than the Big Three won a regional title...Brunswick (2007)
The last time a current Region 1 team other than the Big Three won Region 1...Solon (2000)

Region 1 Winners since 2000:

2000 - Solon
2001 - St Ignatius
2002 - Warren Harding
2003 - St Edward
2004 - Glenville
2005 - St Edward
2006 - Mentor
2007 - Mentor
2008 - St Ignatius
2009 - Glenville
2010 - St Edward
2011 - St Ignatius
2012 - Mentor
2013 - Mentor
2014 - St Edward*
2015 - St Edward*
2016 - St Ignatius
2017 - Mentor
2018 - St Edward
2019 - Mentor

*In 2014 and 2015, Hudson and Stow won Week 13 games and advanced to a "regional final" that also served double duty as a state semifinal. This was the years of two regions in DI, technically limiting the state regional final winners to just two, rather than four. So it depends on how you look at it. By the letter of the law, neither Hudson nor Stow won the region. But both teams did make the final four in Division I...which would've made them "regional champs" in any other year.

*The Big Three have won ten straight Region 1 titles and 14 of the last 15.

*Region 1 winners are 15-2 in state semifinal games (not counting the two region seasons of 2013-15). Region 1 winners are 7-10 in state final appearances since 2000. St Ignatius and St Edward are a combined 7-2. The other four (Mentor, Glenville, WGH, and Solon) are 0-8. I know, I'm a glutton for punishment for bringing that stat up.

I'll never forget WGH's playoff run in 2002. Such a magical season!

The St Ignatius/Solon game is very interesting. The loser of this game finishes without a win* for the season. Neither team had the highest of hopes heading into the season, but I don't think either thought it was possible to go winless. Obviously, the double shortened season plays a huge role into their current records. If they had the schedules that were on the docket last spring/early summer, things would look quite different.

Is there any chance at all this is the last game for either/both of these longtime coaches? McQuaide's son is a senior. He has been coaching for quite a while. Things are only going to get worse at Solon, maybe a lot worse. If there was a time to get out, now seems like the time. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a mutual decision. If Kyle and the Cats lose to a struggling Solon team in the first round, will there be more and more chatter that it is time to move on?

*I know St Ignatius had a non-OHSAA win

I didn't even think about McQuaide stepping down but this may be the perfect time, especially as you said his son is a senior. I know it would be tough going out winless but I doubt they are going to be a serious threat to win a regional the next couple years so could be time to bring in a young coach and let him rebuild the program.

Its still a marquee program that would draw a ton of interest. If not, it could be a situation like Strongsville had in the mid 2000s where Jaques hung around for 3 to 4 mediocre years after it was evident the program was going to take a step back and that program never recovered, outside of a few years here or there.

I don't know how the Solon supporters feel, but get a young upcoming coach and let him take a few lumps and I think they can be back to where they are used to being.

Kyle is a different story as he is an absolute institution and at this point it may be similar to Joe Paterno at Penn State (im not even alluding to any of the stuff that happened there) ... just that he has been there so long and has a resume that is unmatched that I can't see him being pushed, or even urged out. He will leave on his own terms and for better or worse, the guy seems like a lifer who will coach as long as he feels up to it.

Btw, I think Triv did Mentor a huge favor by getting out when he did. It gave Gray the final year of Ian Kipp which has allowed them not to really miss a beat. So maybe a slight step back this year (but still a team that has legit regional title expectations) and it allows him an extra year to work with the kids at the lower levels, which Mentor still has plenty to work with. May not be quite a dominant of a run moving forward but I think this is a close to a handoff with out taking a major step back as you can have.

Last edited:
The chalk held up completely yesterday, so that was a sign the coaches had a grasp on seeding so far. The only games somewhat in question was Brunswick/Jackson, which the Blue Devils seemed to win easily.

The most significant loss on the night is probably Solon. For an incredibly proud and successful program, this is their first losing season since the 70’s I believe. And a winless season on top of that. They’ve only played four games, and all four teams are pretty good. But most of the good Solon teams would be 3-1 or 4-0 against that group. I have a hunch that was the end of McQuaide whether it is his decision, Solon’s, or both.

Taking Brunswick Over McKinley this week.

Did anyone see the Euclid game, or have any info on the game? It looks like they struggled.

Solon coach should been fired 3 years ago.

That is something we can agree on. He lost the program a while ago. Solon has just one playoff win in the past nine seasons. That is unacceptable for a program with that cache. McQuaide had a pretty good stretch from 2005-2011, winning seven playoff games and being in regional finals in back to back seasons. But those days are long gone.

Week 7 didn't exactly have the most exciting matchups. IMO, the top 8 in Region 1 remain. Jackson, Cleveland Heights, Strongsville, or Solon might've had a chance to be ahead of St Ignatius in a magical 2020 world where COVID didn't exist and we played out the normally scheduled season. But that's not how it worked out.

As for this week, we have four pretty intriguing matchups. There are some good arguments for why all four games could come down to the wire. I don't think they all will, but it is certainly probable.

1. St Edward (5-1) vs 8. Medina (4-3): This is a rematch of a regional quarterfinal matchup of 2019. The two meet in the same exact round. The Eagles aren't quite as talented as they were a season ago. Medina has QB Drew Allar a year older and better. Medina's defense gave up 73 points in last year's game. The Eagles aren't as explosive on offense. Medina isn't as bad on defense. I think this game is a 14-21 point Eagles win, but it could go either direction. Medina has the talent on offense to make it interesting. They just need to play a LOT better defense than last season. Ramos is getting more comfortable, which is not good for the rest of the region.

2. Mentor (6-1) vs 7. Stow (6-1): Two teams that can both light up the scoreboard. Mentor isn't quite as good as they have been the last few seasons, but they still have the best player in the region with QB Ian Kipp. Stow has a good one of their own in Owen Bainbridge. On pure talent alone, Stow has a clear advantage on offense with at least four or five starters that have DI offers, including a couple on the line. Mentor's secondary is (once again) a glaring weakness on the team. If Stow can take advantage of that, this game will be closer than most people think.

3. McKinley (6-1) vs 6. Brunswick (5-2): At their best, Brunswick is a team that played toe to toe in splitting two close games with Medina and Euclid. At their worst, they got dominated by Mentor. Yesterday they had a comfortable win over Jackson, the only mutual opponent between McKinley and Brunswick. The Blue Devils will need their A game to beat McKinley. But if they can play the kind of defense they did against Medina and Euclid, they have a real shot to keep it close. McKinley ran for over 500 yards yesterday against Berea. Plus they have a pretty talented QB in Wesley.

4. Euclid (6-1) vs 5. St Ignatius (1-3): This is by the most interesting game of the weekend. Euclid is as talented as any team in Region 1. Nobody has a better receiving duo. They have at least four starters on defense that will be playing DI college football in 2021. And yet, Euclid has had a pretty ho-hum season. They closed the gap big time in the Mentor game, but still struggled offensively despite their advantages. They had an unthinkable loss to Strongsville and a strange 21-0 win over Elyria yesterday. St Ignatius' defense should be able to limit Euclid. If Mentor, Brunswick, and Elyria can keep Euclid at 21 points or less, St Ignatius should have no problem doing it. I am aware that the Cats have a bunch of injuries, so that could be a great equalizer in a game that on paper looks pretty even. Rotsky has done a ton of good for the program, at least in terms of wins and getting kids into college. But his 0-7 record against Ignatius/Eds is the major blip. This is as good of a shot as any for the Panthers to get a win over one of the Saints.

On a personal level, would love to see an all-GCC final four. But the chances of all of them winning is probably less than all of them losing. I think the GCC teams will be competitive, but I expect only Mentor to advance.

I'm very much looking forward to R1 final 8. All 4 games have intrigue.
1. Ed's vs. Medina - This is truly a matchup of contrasting styles. A team known for its championship caliber defense vs. a team known for its offensive fireworks. But you can see that Ed's is starting to peak at the right time which is their MO. I know this is cliche, but whoever wins the line of scrimmage will win this game. Enjoy the show!
2. Ignatius vs. Euclid- Another matchup that is very hard to call. Ignatius got a late start compared to many of the teams. They played a brutal schedule. But I think that has helped accelerate their growth. Euclid just seems to still be figuring things out. But they are very talented and dangerous on every play. But disciplined football could be Euclids achilles. It has been in the past. If Euclid comes to play and plays well, they have a legit shot at winning.
3. Stow vs. Mentor - Clearly Mentor is the favorite based on their history, how good they still are, a STUD leading the team at QB, etc... But Stow is a very talented team. Big lines, solid Qb, rb, wr. They have all the ingredients. Do they have the mental belief. I still get the feeling that they have not played their best balI. If they do this week, it could be a nail biter. If they don't they will get eliminated. I remember about 1-2 months ago asking the question: Is Stow the sleeper in R1? Well we are about to find out.
4. Brunswick vs. McKinley - Brunswick has played solid consistent football all year. They are very well coached. McKinley has playmakers, but is another team that has not really played to its potential.

Awesome stuff! Hope everyone enjoys all the games this coming week in ALL divisions. Especially the kids.

Week 7 didn't exactly have the most exciting matchups. IMO, the top 8 in Region 1 remain. Jackson, Cleveland Heights, Strongsville, or Solon might've had a chance to be ahead of St Ignatius in a magical 2020 world where COVID didn't exist and we played out the normally scheduled season. But that's not how it worked out.

As for this week, we have four pretty intriguing matchups. There are some good arguments for why all four games could come down to the wire. I don't think they all will, but it is certainly probable.

1. St Edward (5-1) vs 8. Medina (4-3): This is a rematch of a regional quarterfinal matchup of 2019. The two meet in the same exact round. The Eagles aren't quite as talented as they were a season ago. Medina has QB Drew Allar a year older and better. Medina's defense gave up 73 points in last year's game. The Eagles aren't as explosive on offense. Medina isn't as bad on defense. I think this game is a 14-21 point Eagles win, but it could go either direction. Medina has the talent on offense to make it interesting. They just need to play a LOT better defense than last season. Ramos is getting more comfortable, which is not good for the rest of the region.

2. Mentor (6-1) vs 7. Stow (6-1): Two teams that can both light up the scoreboard. Mentor isn't quite as good as they have been the last few seasons, but they still have the best player in the region with QB Ian Kipp. Stow has a good one of their own in Owen Bainbridge. On pure talent alone, Stow has a clear advantage on offense with at least four or five starters that have DI offers, including a couple on the line. Mentor's secondary is (once again) a glaring weakness on the team. If Stow can take advantage of that, this game will be closer than most people think.

3. McKinley (6-1) vs 6. Brunswick (5-2): At their best, Brunswick is a team that played toe to toe in splitting two close games with Medina and Euclid. At their worst, they got dominated by Mentor. Yesterday they had a comfortable win over Jackson, the only mutual opponent between McKinley and Brunswick. The Blue Devils will need their A game to beat McKinley. But if they can play the kind of defense they did against Medina and Euclid, they have a real shot to keep it close. McKinley ran for over 500 yards yesterday against Berea. Plus they have a pretty talented QB in Wesley.

4. Euclid (6-1) vs 5. St Ignatius (1-3): This is by the most interesting game of the weekend. Euclid is as talented as any team in Region 1. Nobody has a better receiving duo. They have at least four starters on defense that will be playing DI college football in 2021. And yet, Euclid has had a pretty ho-hum season. They closed the gap big time in the Mentor game, but still struggled offensively despite their advantages. They had an unthinkable loss to Strongsville and a strange 21-0 win over Elyria yesterday. St Ignatius' defense should be able to limit Euclid. If Mentor, Brunswick, and Elyria can keep Euclid at 21 points or less, St Ignatius should have no problem doing it. I am aware that the Cats have a bunch of injuries, so that could be a great equalizer in a game that on paper looks pretty even. Rotsky has done a ton of good for the program, at least in terms of wins and getting kids into college. But his 0-7 record against Ignatius/Eds is the major blip. This is as good of a shot as any for the Panthers to get a win over one of the Saints.

On a personal level, would love to see an all-GCC final four. But the chances of all of them winning is probably less than all of them losing. I think the GCC teams will be competitive, but I expect only Mentor to advance.

I cannot see any arguments to think why all of these games can go both ways. A few good players at this point wins nothing in this region, your best coached teams who make the least mistakes will win.

Eds defense 12 INT and have caused handful of fumbles in the last 5 games. They have gave up 2 TDs in the last 17 Qtrs. (1 was 2nd 3rd string). Last years 2019 team had 4 INT. This defense flies around with a purpose and plays very physical with much better DBs. The defense has made a few personnel changes and this unit is also peaking. Ramos has moved the offense with his legs, now he is passing very well and have a top target in Manning emerging which should free up Goodall. The play in the slot has been great by Miller, and the top WR is still on D. Both backs are running great, with a 3rd RB in Gribble who runs very hard, he would play at every school but Iggy in the Region. The staff has really did well developing this team and are peaking at the perfect time and will soon play a few players both ways at times. Eds by 24 and triple Medina in time of possession.

Mentor will win by atleast a few scores. They play a different level of football and will have no problems with Stow. Bainbridge will not be afforded a lot of time In the pocket. Your talking about a team that will control both lines. They will beat Stow easily. Mentor hands down is the better team. Mentor by 24 also.

If Brunswick plays mistake free they are very capable of beating McKinley. Brunswick has the coaching advantage.

Iggy Euclid is a tough one to judge. Which Euclid team will show up. Euclid has some very good talent on that team. Iggy can be passed on but their front is very stout. I think their physicality will wear Euclid down and Iggy will win.

I like your enthusiasm about Ed’s but some of the players you mentioned just aren’t there yet. Hopefully, with a year under their belts they can solid senior years.

Some good analysis has been given. Imo, while the top may not be as strong as last year, this is a region that has eight solid teams left in the field so thats a win for people who like good football.

My breakdown:

1. Ed's vs. 8 Medina: after the teams combined for 111 points last year (mostly Ed's), I think common thought will be this is another shootout. I'm not quite not sure that will be the case. For one, Medina went that route a year ago and while they put up offensive numbers few teams have put up on Ed's recently, what did it get them? Well, it forced Ed's to keep their foot on the gas pedal and they shredded a very young Medina defense for 73 points. I think Medina is going to go a bit different this time. No doubt, they are still going to run 5 wide empty back sets as been there MO for the past two years, but they have been making an effort the last 4 to 5 weeks of incorporating some power run formations into the offense, with some decent sucess. I have a feeling that they will try to shorten the game, especially since the defense has been much better this year. That would be the right call, IMO, but against a team like Ed's, it could end up playing into the Eagles' favor if they are able to jump out to an early two TD lead and Medina then is right back into airing it out every down (this time already in an early hole). But I think that's the only way they could win the game because while the talent gap may have closed a bit, Medina isn't there yet. Ed's probably wins by a couple scores but a Medina upset wouldn't classify as monumental. Ed's 34, Medina 20.

2. Mentor vs. 7. Stow: I think this will be a great game. Granted, I haven't seen Stow but they seem very similar to Medina. And while Week 1 was a long time ago at this point, if Allar didn't get injured in the Medina-Mentor game, it had the makings of a shootout. I'm not going to predict an injury to either QB, and if that's the case, there will be a ton of points scored. Mentor is more battle tested in those type of games and has a QB with a year more experience so I like Mentor. Mentor 48, Stow 41.

3. McKinley vs. 6. Brunswick: While people know I've been bullish on Medina, I've seen similar things coming with this Brunswick program. The arrow is pointing back up and this is a great opportunity for Pinzone to pick up what would be his first marquee win at Brunswick. As for the game, I don't think Brunswick's offense is as explosive as some of the scores indicate but its capable. For McKinley, getting outside of that Stark County bubble (where all the teams know each other so well) raised some red flags seeing they let Berea-Midpark hang 30-plus on them. I don't need to see Berea-Midpark play this year to say there is no way they could've had that type of success against Brunswick. This will be another game where I think the unknown factor benefits Brunswick. Still McKinley is obviously talented and they will get there points. Brunswick will hang around though, IMO. I see McKinley 33, Brunswick 28.

4. Euclid vs. 5. Ignatius: I wasn't surprised seeing Ignatius blowing out Solon because that game played into Ignatius' hand. ... though I thought Solon would keep it a little closer. I was also way off on Euclid-Elyria round 2. Thought the first game last week was a fluke and Euclid taking it easy to pour it on a bad Elyria team yesterday. That absolutely did not happen. 21-0 doesn't even tell how close that game was. With that, I have no clue which Euclid team shows up. The one that in three games against Elyria (2) and Strongsville looked average, or the one that showed up against Brunswick, Mentor and Medina and showed pieces are there but not a well-oiled product yet. You can say the same about Ignatius, too. Another game, like Ed's Medina, where I could see it going either very good (Medina/Euclid) or very bad. There is enough talent on Euclid's defense that should keep them in it. Not sure they will score much though. Ignatius 24, Euclid 13.

I like your enthusiasm about Ed’s but some of the players you mentioned just aren’t there yet. Hopefully, with a year under their belts they can solid senior years.
That could be argued but players are producing when their number is called, in most cases.
Ofcourse they are missing a Foster, Wainright, Kent type of WR threat but the pieces are there. A Home Run player is on the team whether it be Manning, Castleberry and or maybe Landingham (one of the fastest kids in Ohio), again will open up Goodall who must make plays. This team is not nearly as athletic as past teams but I think they have more “football players” than last years team. And if you look across the region they will see Medina, Iggy and Mentor. They will have the toughest schedule but they have grown in every game (as have those teams) The tough regular season schedule also will show to payoff going forward. To wait another year....this team has a better chance than next years team. There are not many seniors but those are some key pieces. The sophomore class will not add a lot to the current Jr class. There are a few DEs who will be very good that dress and the DB group plays well. Personally I do not feel the they mix well because classes have many of the same strength. Following that the Freshman class is unreal and loaded with big time players, but that’s a talk at a later date. It is now or never. This team has been coached well, the players are in place. IF these teams makes no mistakes, no turnovers, and continues to play great defense they will be very very hard to beat. You can never be 100 percent confident vs Iggy an a Kipp led team but I am more confident than 2019 looking at the other teams.

IF these teams makes no mistakes, no turnovers, and continues to play great defense they will be very very hard to beat. You can never be 100 percent confident vs Iggy an a Kipp led team but I am more confident than 2019 looking at the other teams.

The other teams are a factor, but overall I just don't see anything like what St Eds has had in 2018 and 2019. They were so, so good the past two years. The 2019 Eagles are on the short list (along with 2012 St Ignatius) as the best teams Mentor has ever beaten. I feel better about Mentor beating Eds this year than I did last year...but that was because of how much I respected the big time talent Eds had all over the field on both sides in 2019.

Since 2000, here are the number of regional final appearances (and/or final 8 for expanded regions in 2013-2015)

Mentor: 12 (02, 03, 06, 07, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20)
St Edward: 9 (03, 05, 10, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18, 19)
St Ignatius: 9 (00, 01, 04, 08, 11, 12, 13, 16, 17)
Glenville: 4 (04, 05, 07, 09)
Solon: 3 (00, 09, 10)
WGH: 3 (01, 02, 06)
Strongsville (08)
Hudson (14)
Medina (20)
Fitch (13)
Stow (15)
Euclid (15)
Westerville Central (14)
Olentangy (15)

Region 1 titles (or final four appearances in 13-15)
Mentor: 7
St Edward: 7* (four state titles)
St Ignatius: 4 (three state titles)
Glenville: 2
Solon: 1
WGH: 1
Hudson/Stow: 1*

*One of St Edward's includes a final four/regional final appearance in 2013. Hudson and Stow did the same things in 2014 and 2015. Neither of the three "won" the Region 1 title, but all three appeared in a final four. Count it however you want. Thanks OHSAA!

Yeah, Medina had vanished and doesn't belong on this list.

Seriously, though. They are here... a year earlier than I thought. Looking forward to a great game next week.

Medina is trying to do something that no other current Region 1 team (besides St Ignatius, Mentor, and St Edward) has done since 2000 - win a Region 1 title. Solon is the only current Region 1 team (other than the Big Three) to win Region 1 in the past 30 seasons. Let's face it, Medina has a real shot to spoil the party. They have conquered 2/3 of the mountain, just one more step to go.

Seriously, though. They are here... a year earlier than I thought. Looking forward to a great game next week.
They are on the list ....

It's a factual list of accomplishment since 2000. I know youre getting cocky but you can't act disrespected by a factual list

I could only judge by what I could see (OK, just read). From the second half of the Mentor game through Week 7, there wasn't anything Medina did that suggested they were remotely capable of anything resembling what they have done. Three losses. A narrow win over a struggling Solon team. What else were we to think?

They flipped a switch and it turned into the biggest wins in Medina County history (sorry Brunswick, it's true). They are one win away from completing an unthinkable run.

Medina is trying to do something that no other current Region 1 team (besides St Ignatius, Mentor, and St Edward) has done since 2000 - win a Region 1 title. Solon is the only current Region 1 team (other than the Big Three) to win Region 1 in the past 30 seasons. Let's face it, Medina has a real shot to spoil the party. They have conquered 2/3 of the mountain, just one more step to go.

Yeah, I'm just messing with you. They still have one more big hill to climb.

Yeah definitely a toss up game. I don't think we are playing our best. Have to play a compete game to win this one