Oac Jr high state Predictions or rankings

I have to admit, there are a few weights where I am not real familiar with most of the kids. But here are my hypothetical picks:
74- Neal Krysty
78- Huggy Williams
84- Javaan Yarbrough
90- Jay’veon Clinton
96- Rhino Bennett
102- Ty Wilson
108- Dillon Campbell
114- Omar Ayoub
120- Ethan Birden
126- Brayden Brown
132- Jack Lee
138- Elijah Jacks
146- Kael Voinovich
154- Wyatt Walker
164- Aydan George
176- Max Shula
209- Johnny Slaper
249- Aidan Fockler

If Jude or Terry Young or any other OAC associates read the posts on Yappi I would like to throw out this suggestion. The first weekend in June is about the latest one might expect this tournament to happen. I would start the ball rolling now, see what type of response develops, and start planning accordingly. If it comes to pass, as the weekend gets closer, that the people in authority decide that it's still not safe, so be it, and there is no tournament; just a thought.
I'd allow kids to change weights even if it means unbalanced brackets. Some kids won't be within 10 to 15 pounds of their oac weight. Just allow only state qualifiers to register maybe alternates too.

Reactions: jct
I'd allow kids to change weights even if it means unbalanced brackets. Some kids won't be within 10 to 15 pounds of their oac weight. Just allow only state qualifiers to register maybe alternates too.
I’m just saying I know junior high kids are growing but if there cutting and growing that much for a junior high event something maybe wrong.
One thing I learned is Grade school and Junior high kids should not be cutting and just learning better technique. Wrestle bigger and stronger kids in practice so your used to wrestling kids that maybe a little bigger and stronger cause there cutting and your kids not. That will help them get used to the weight difference.

High school kids should only wear tshirt and shorts and continue to learn technique and cut weight on their time that’s advice coming from a college kid who cut during high school practices and it was about weight management and not learning. So when he went to college he felt behind the elite kids and he felt if he worried about better technique in high school practices over weight management he would be further along.

Since he has told me this and then having a younger son come behind him who never cut in JH or GS event regardless of the event. We he went to high school where he cuts very little weight and only wears tshirts and shorts during most practices and just worries about wrestling. How many kids weighing 116-118 all year go 113 and don’t cut to 106 on a D1 team wrestling Ironman, Beast of the East, Brecksville, schedule and still have good year.

I know some kids cut to fit a lineup in college and high school Just do it after practice.

I’m just saying I know junior high kids are growing but if there cutting and growing that much for a junior high event something maybe wrong.
One thing I learned is Grade school and Junior high kids should not be cutting and just learning better technique. Wrestle bigger and stronger kids in practice so your used to wrestling kids that maybe a little bigger and stronger cause there cutting and your kids not. That will help them get used to the weight difference.

High school kids should only wear tshirt and shorts and continue to learn technique and cut weight on their time that’s advice coming from a college kid who cut during high school practices and it was about weight management and not learning. So when he went to college he felt behind the elite kids and he felt if he worried about better technique in high school practices over weight management he would be further along.

Since he has told me this and then having a younger son come behind him who never cut in JH or GS event regardless of the event. We he went to high school where he cuts very little weight and only wears tshirts and shorts during most practices and just worries about wrestling. How many kids weighing 116-118 all year go 113 and don’t cut to 106 on a D1 team wrestling Ironman, Beast of the East, Brecksville, schedule and still have good year.

I know some kids cut to fit a lineup in college and high school Just do it after practice.
Completely agree. Although they haven't had the chance to practice, so this is not exactly a normal situation. My kid isn't a weight cutter either, but between not practicing and unlimited access to the pantry during quarantine, he's now 5 over. I would bet some of these heavy cut kids are +2 weight classes. That's why this season is over, in my opinion.

I’m having a great day! Sounds like you’re taking it personally. Holdbacks are legal and done by a lot of high end wrestlers and average wrestlers whose parents are looking for the advantage of wrestler younger kids or letting their kids mature. If you want it for your kid, go for it. Just don’t take to the forums talking about how a held back 8th grade would place in the HS tournament. Not to mention it’s a stupid proposition to begin with. As someone mentioned, Kleinberg for the example, didn’t even make the state tournament after winning a tough bracket at Jr. High the year before. Jett; who has improved a ton, rolls with Castro and Assad daily and was projected to be a lower end placer. No doubt this kid is ultra talented but this notion of where he places of he wrestled at HS in nothing more than conjecture.

Conjecture? This whole thread is about conjecture dummy. Taking it personally? Not even close. My thing is to give kids props and coach them up. Yours is to tear kids down and put an * on them because you have an agenda. I promise you that none of this message board BS makes a bit of difference to these athletes, their coaches, or the success that these kids will have in the future. All conjecture will be settled on the mat over time.

Last edited:

I agree with almost all of this.

My son is a sixth grader and he is on scratch for his oac weight still because we don't cut weight now at all.

That being said there will be kids who at the time had to maybe cut a couple pounds to make scratch then grew and now may be in trouble.

IF the OAC does decide to have the tournament I would think the weekend before July 4, would have a better chance than the weekend after Memorial Day. Anyone having conversations with the OAC administrators?

IF the OAC does decide to have the tournament I would think the weekend before July 4, would have a better chance than the weekend after Memorial Day. Anyone having conversations with the OAC administrators?

Both seem like bad dates. Many families schedule vacations around both of those dates.

IF your wrestler is one of the top 16 in his wt. class there will be very few families that would label either of those weekends as "bad dates". At want point the state deems it "safe" will be the only common denominator of whether it's a "bad date". After the basic priorities of health and safety have been met every family has different priorities. I think the first weekend was mentioned because the OAC will not want to go too deep into the summer, but if it is still not considered safe MAYBE it could be pushed back another month; don't know.

IF your wrestler is one of the top 16 in his wt. class there will be very few families that would label either of those weekends as "bad dates". At want point the state deems it "safe" will be the only common denominator of whether it's a "bad date". After the basic priorities of health and safety have been met every family has different priorities. I think the first weekend was mentioned because the OAC will not want to go too deep into the summer, but if it is still not considered safe MAYBE it could be pushed back another month; don't know.
I disagree. Both of those dates are during freestyle/Greco season. Most of the really top kids in these brackets are cadet eligible for Fargo this year, and/or many of them were already on the schoolboy national team or should be this year.

I disagree. Both of those dates are during freestyle/Greco season. Most of the really top kids in these brackets are cadet eligible for Fargo this year, and/or many of them were already on the schoolboy national team or should be this year.

First date would be bad for schoolboy and cadet. Second just cadet. USA Ohio's camp usually avoids the week of the 4th, putting camp just after. I always assumed because of conflicts with family's vacationing and such.

Ken, you're probably correct, but like I stated earlier, unlike the numerous variables that the OHSAA had to deal with, the OAC would have minimal. First and foremost will there be a green light from the authorities allowing wrestlers (health wise) to get back to practicing by the beginning of June (at the latest). Secondly, will the OAC still want to run the event. Finally, families will need to evaluate their priorities. I know there are other huge events outside the state, but many families may choose not to travel out of state, for obvious reasons.

Ken, you're probably correct, but like I stated earlier, unlike the numerous variables that the OHSAA had to deal with, the OAC would have minimal. First and foremost will there be a green light from the authorities allowing wrestlers (health wise) to get back to practicing by the beginning of June (at the latest). Secondly, will the OAC still want to run the event. Finally, families will need to evaluate their priorities. I know there are other huge events outside the state, but many families may choose not to travel out of state, for obvious reasons.
I wonder would there be enough interest from the kids, parents and coaches for the oac to do something now since the president extended his restrictions till at least April 30. Oac should start a poll or questionnaire to gauge interest.

I'll never understand the flex of diminishing a kid's talent and accomplishments. Love to see you look his father in the eye and say that.

How hard is it to say something like "He's a special talent with a bright future", or just simply not say anything.

...oh and by the way, I think he would have been on the HS podium last year at 106 or 113. He's a special talent!
I'll never understand the flex of diminishing a kid's talent and accomplishments. Love to see you look his father in the eye and say that.

How hard is it to say something like "He's a special talent with a bright future", or just simply not say anything.

...oh and by the way, I think he would have been on the HS podium last year at 106 or 113. He's a special talent!

Like you I do not understand the flex of diminishing an entire weight class that has gone through a whole high school season saying that a kid would win it because he was good in jr high. For as many jr high champs or high placers, I can show you a significant number more that do not pan out, or who peaked in jr high.

I like your statement of he is a special talent with a bright future and leave it at that.

They could hold it in Alaska and we would still be there.