OAC JH District-Butler (Vandalia, OH), postponed to Sunday, 3/3/24

CoachPeck

Because of a water main break, the Butler Jr. High District has been rescheduled for Sunday, March 3. All weigh in times will remain the same for both Saturday, March 2nd and Sunday, March 3rd and the wrestling start times will stay the same as well. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause anyone but it is out of our control. Thanks for understanding!

Your right my apologies but having other wrestlers wrestling same day makes it hard to be in two places at once.

No it wasn’t graham offered to hold it and all proceeds to go to butler they said no
Yep that’s exactly how it went down LOL…You are right, Graham and Coach OBaugh (great guy) did offer up Graham and we were very thankful and did say no. The issue was about 30 minutes before that offer, notifications had gone out that the tournament was being postponed due to water issues. So how do you think it would have gone down had we then changed the plan after the competitors and their families had changed their plans (cancelled lodging, eaten breakfast/lunch, etc.)? It’s not ideal for anyone (Butler and the OAC included) that we now have to move the tournament to March 3rd, but as was stated previously, it IS/WAS out of our control.

Last edited:
Sounds like someone is worried about some kid or kids trying to qualify again or whatever else they want to complain about. This conspiracy theory BS along with people complaining about hold backs or whatever else in the wrestling world is getting old. PS, my kids are not hold backs, oldest is sophomore that doesn't turn 16 until July, youngest is an average age 8th grader. OAC and the host venues do a fine job overall, and I think the approach of 4 districts one weekend and 4 another weekend is a nice transition from being able to try 6-7 times (I believe there is an overlap of 1 or 2 of them) for grade school OAC and then obviously building towards HS of one and done for sectionals. Is OAC a money grab? Sure, but what isn't these days, at the youngest levels, the idea is building kids up, building the sport up and creating high numbers, so they don't quit by the time they get to HS. Step to the line and wrestle, quite worrying about what kids are at what districts or how many times they go to qualify in youth or jr. high. Don't know you @CoachPeck or anyone else on here, but I'm with you on this. This guy thinks Graham or Ed's or whoever else controls the wrestling world and took a rock into the school and broke the pipe so they could postpone it..... I've heard it all.

Sounds like someone is worried about some kid or kids trying to qualify again or whatever else they want to complain about. This conspiracy theory BS along with people complaining about hold backs or whatever else in the wrestling world is getting old. PS, my kids are not hold backs, oldest is sophomore that doesn't turn 16 until July, youngest is an average age 8th grader. OAC and the host venues do a fine job overall, and I think the approach of 4 districts one weekend and 4 another weekend is a nice transition from being able to try 6-7 times (I believe there is an overlap of 1 or 2 of them) for grade school OAC and then obviously building towards HS of one and done for sectionals. Is OAC a money grab? Sure, but what isn't these days, at the youngest levels, the idea is building kids up, building the sport up and creating high numbers, so they don't quit by the time they get to HS. Step to the line and wrestle, quite worrying about what kids are at what districts or how many times they go to qualify in youth or jr. high. Don't know you @CoachPeck or anyone else on here, but I'm with you on this. This guy thinks Graham or Ed's or whoever else controls the wrestling world and took a rock into the school and broke the pipe so they could postpone it..... I've heard it all.
I took it as they are likely upset they now have to choose between coaching junior high kids at Butler and Grade school kids at Districts in Berea or possibly be stuck out of town with the high school at districts Saturday?

I took it as they are likely upset they now have to choose between coaching junior high kids at Butler and Grade school kids at Districts in Berea or possibly be stuck out of town with the high school at districts Saturday?
Maybe I jumped the gun (just sounded like a typical whiner to me) but if that is the case, not the only family with multiple kids in the same sport, 1/2 the time my wife and I are passing each other going from one town or practice to another, divide and conquer.

Maybe I jumped the gun (just sounded like a typical whiner to me) but if that is the case, not the only family with multiple kids in the same sport, 1/2 the time my wife and I are passing each other going from one town or practice to another, divide and conquer.

I'm sure that will be the case, but I can totally understand the frustration.

I coach at all levels, and run a business outside of that where coaching is involved. Almost every weekend is scheduled during the winter and a late cancelation would make a lot of tough choices. Personally I've had to miss almost all of my twins junior high matches this season to coach my high school team. A couple years ago I had to miss coaching my oldest son at his 8th grade league tournament after it was rescheduled. It's always a tough decision who gets chosen over another... and you always feel like you're hurting someone...

I'm sure that will be the case, but I can totally understand the frustration.

I coach at all levels, and run a business outside of that where coaching is involved. Almost every weekend is scheduled during the winter and a late cancelation would make a lot of tough choices. Personally I've had to miss almost all of my twins junior high matches this season to coach my high school team. A couple years ago I had to miss coaching my oldest son at his 8th grade league tournament after it was rescheduled. It's always a tough decision who gets chosen over another... and you always feel like you're hurting someone...
You said it, I literally missed my oldest OAC jr high states to be with my youngest for something else he had going on. Main reason was he was more than covered from a coaching perspective and sometimes certain kids are better off without dad/coach and my wife would not even attempt to sit in a chair, nor would either of my kids let her lol.

Wow! farthest thing from a whiner and worried about making state or some other kid right. We’ve been wrestling up all year come on he’s JH. But his sibling is in high school and takes precedent. It’s her time now. Just wish I could be there with him to and hold backs. My oldest son is wrestling in college and graduate at 17 get over yourselves. Again I apologize was just frustrated.

And to coach peck and obaugh my apologies to both of you again frustration got the best of me. I know you both put a lot into this sport Keep it up. It is greatly appreciated.

Wow! farthest thing from a whiner and worried about making state or some other kid right. We’ve been wrestling up all year come on he’s JH. But his sibling is in high school and takes precedent. It’s her time now. Just wish I could be there with him to and hold backs. My oldest son is wrestling in college and graduate at 17 get over yourselves. Again I apologize was just frustrated.
My apologies as well, clearly, I had you pegged as the wrong guy on here, I'm sure you see all the other threads and being that you have multiple kids in the sport (or any sport for that matter) you see the good, the bad and far too often the ugly. My bad for putting you into that latter category, clearly that is not you. And...... I am complaining to the wrong person being that I only have two kids and you are managing three at all those levels. Kudos to you and for wrestling up, glad to know I'm not the only one that doesn't worry about records. I see kids, parents that sit their kids for dual matches against teams in a different division than their school because they want to protect their "ranking" on boro fan. What happened to leveling up and taking it as a challenged that you get to wrestle someone better or ranked higher than you no matter what division they are in? Can only control what we can control I suppose. Exit my soap box now, good luck to you and your kids the rest of the way!

I sure hope they didn’t allow kids to change weights after seeing the preseeds? That seems like common sense, anyone know?
Good question, you probably already know that under "normal circumstances" you can change kids weights up to the district closing or individual weights hitting capacity, whichever comes first, but as you pointed out this is unique situation where the pre-seed list obviously came out as it always does 24 hours prior (which is after registration closes) Unfortunately, no great way to approach this, I guess it would have to be an all or nothing approach, either you allow everyone (meaning everyone that was already signed up + new registrations) to change or don't allow anyone to change, which isn't really possible because they are allowing new entries (assuming that is true) Tough spot for all involved, but overall, the cream will rise to the top in the end as it always does. Good luck to all and hope it all goes smoothly.

Good question, you probably already know that under "normal circumstances" you can change kids weights up to the district closing or individual weights hitting capacity, whichever comes first, but as you pointed out this is unique situation where the pre-seed list obviously came out as it always does 24 hours prior (which is after registration closes) Unfortunately, no great way to approach this, I guess it would have to be an all or nothing approach, either you allow everyone (meaning everyone that was already signed up + new registrations) to change or don't allow anyone to change, which isn't really possible because they are allowing new entries (assuming that is true) Tough spot for all involved, but overall, the cream will rise to the top in the end as it always does. Good luck to all and hope it all goes smoothly.
It seems very simple to me. Everything remains exactly the same as if this never happened. Allowing parents to see the preseeds list, then cut their kids a weight class to avoid people shouldn’t be allowed.
I get allowing more individuals to enter makes additional money, but everything should just be as is, just 2 weeks later

It seems very simple to me. Everything remains exactly the same as if this never happened. Allowing parents to see the preseeds list, then cut their kids a weight class to avoid people shouldn’t be allowed.
I get allowing more individuals to enter makes additional money, but everything should just be as is, just 2 weeks later
I certainly don't disagree, but sadly many parents and kids seek easiest paths all the time. I remember scheming that went on between multiple parents, coordinating who's going to what district to avoid this kid or that, I'm sure it still goes on. At least they don't run it like OHWAY, not sure they still do this, but they would allow weight class changes at the scale for their state tournament in Marion.

The registrants are able to change weight classes. I tried with my son to see if it would work or not, and it did. I changed him back to his original weight after. But I was curious. No new entrants should be allowed and no weights should be able to change. However, it’s a money grab, so I have heard they are accepting new entrants too. Which doesn’t surprise me if it is true.

Because of a water main break, the Butler Jr. High District has been rescheduled for Sunday, March 3. All weigh in times will remain the same for both Saturday, March 2nd and Sunday, March 3rd and the wrestling start times will stay the same as well. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause anyone but it is out of our control. Thanks for understanding!
Location change for Saturday’s weigh-in due to Basketball tournament games:

Saturday's weigh-in (4-5pm) - Butler HS Cafeteria

-Doors will open at 3:45pm
-Park on the south side or Butler HS
Directions:
-North or South on Dixie Drive
-Turn left or right on Alkaline Springs (Universal One Credit Union on corner)
-Turn left at the baseball field and park in the front lot
-Enter the PAT (Performing Arts Theatre) entrance (door #2)
-Upon entering the building, you will be directed to the cafeteria

Saturday, March 2 - 4:00 PM-5:00 PM (All Weights) (park on the South/Baseball side and enter Door #2)

Sunday, March 3 – 7:15 AM-8:00 AM (All Weights) (park on the North/Stadium side and enter Door #9)

Directions:

Saturday, March 2 - 4:00 PM-5:00 PM (All Weights) (park on the South/Baseball side and enter Door #2)

Sunday, March 3 – 7:15 AM-8:00 AM (All Weights) (park on the North/Stadium side and enter Door #9)
Are brackets posted

Directions:

Reminders:
After checking in upon entering the weigh-in room (cafeteria), athletes cannot leave. Please use the restroom before and have your singlet or compression shorts/top ON and straps UP please. Also, please trim your nails and if needed, a proper skin form. This will expedite the weigh-in process.

Making Weight
A wrestler must make their registered weight. If they are over their weight limit, they cannot move to another weight class. They also may not move down a weight class from their registered weight class. Wrestlers in these situations are removed from the tournament and there are no refunds. A wrestler will receive 2 attempts on their assigned scale and 2 attempts on another scale. Once a wrestler commits to the weigh-in area they may not leave and re-attempt to weigh in during that session.

Wrestlers only need to make weight once at a district tournament,

Weigh In OptionWho can attempt
Night BeforeAll Wrestlers
Day of 1st Session Weigh inAll Wrestlers who have not made weight
Day of 2nd Session Weigh inSecond Session Wrestlers who have not made weight

The OAC does not tolerate any action that puts an athlete’s health and safety at risk. The use of dehydration (saunas, plastic sweat suits, etc.) for weight reduction is strictly prohibited. Coaches, participants, and clubs in violation may be disqualified from the event and banned from future events.

Weigh-In Clothing
All wrestlers must weigh in wearing no more than a singlet (with straps up or both a short-sleeved compression shirt & competition performance shorts). They may not remove any of the above-mentioned clothing in an attempt to make their registered weight class. No weight allowance is given for the clothing. Once a wrestler steps on the scale, no weight loss or weight gain through clothing is permissible.

Please see the attached letter for qualifiers/alternates. These will be given out to the top 8 finishers in each weight at the awards. Please read it carefully and remember your wrestler is not entered into the state tournament until you log-in and confirm his entry.

Coaching Bands are $10. See the attachment for guidelines. No one is permitted on the floor without one. Thanks for cooperating!

Good luck Sunday!

Attachments

• OAC-CoachingBandInfo.pdf
    31.5 KB · Views: 16
  • OAC-QualifierAlternateLetter.pdf
    179.9 KB · Views: 16