Northwest Ohio Realignment

Were Edgewater and Ottawa River closed? Honest question, because I thought those were still very much in operation but your post makes me second guess it. I thought both of those were K-8 schools...
Edgewater and Ottawa River are both K-8 (and open).

Not to take anything away from a complete analysis, dissection and restructure of Toledo Public Schools but I sure hope something else happens pretty soon. Again, no offense. :)

Not to take anything away from a complete analysis, dissection and restructure of Toledo Public Schools but I sure hope something else happens pretty soon. Again, no offense. :)
Me also. I am somewhat worried that push come to shove, there will not be enough pushing or shoving and involved will say, oh well.

Last edited:
Were Edgewater and Ottawa River closed? Honest question, because I thought those were still very much in operation but your post makes me second guess it. I thought both of those were K-8 schools...

I was adding the follow through to your proposal Woodward be replaced by closing one or two middle schools (reverting a couple k-8s) as opposed to my suggestion they incorporate a middle school tech program. Making Woodward middle school only would take them back to the old model. No way they could support that large a middle school without kids to put into it. It would require reverting all the schools, including PP to the old K-5 or K-6 model. So it's not going to happen.

Spot on.

I said years ago Point Place should have petitioned to become their own village or town. Like many places in Toledo they have managed to hold on to their autonomy to a degree have lost a good chunk of their mainstays. I wish they were a part of Washington Local TBH.

PP never supported even a grocery store, not even a Monettes. For all their talk "best place...",it has long had rep as the most bigoted end of town. It was a haven for Eastsiders and north enders trying to "escape" but apparently couldn't make it as far as Tempernace and who really were the ones worth escaping from. They brought their crap with them, ... As for old school PPers,... I find it one of the least friendly ends of town. For all it's natural resources and all the money the city keeps dumping into that park, the roads... to fix they things they previously dumped money into, it's a boring white-.... maga drug hole.

PP never supported even a grocery store, not even a Monettes. For all their talk "best place...",it has long had rep as the most bigoted end of town. It was a haven for Eastsiders and north enders trying to "escape" but apparently couldn't make it as far as Tempernace and who really were the ones worth escaping from. They brought their crap with them, ... As for old school PPers,... I find it one of the least friendly ends of town. For all it's natural resources and all the money the city keeps dumping into that park, the roads... to fix they things they previously dumped money into, it's a boring white-.... maga drug hole.
I cannot tell you the last time I drove through (a couple years?). I used to go to the hardware store because they were one of the only places in town to sell boating stuff. Worked with a bunch of guys who lived there. All great. None live there now and some are even dead. At one point however, much like old E. Toledo, they were very community based. Had their own flag store and a couple hardwares. Places to eat and bars. Some guys I knew raced ice boats and Jocketts Marine fixed up old wooden Lyman boats. Even had a mens shop (Szars? still open?) and holiday parades. Back when the Catholic schools had Catholic kids PP supplied a good chunk. There was a time when St. Johns PP had some great teams. Was a very unique community in and of itself.

Poultry Conference.

forgive me, but a handful are chickens
It was a stupid question, I know.

My reason for posting it was because of how Margaretta and St. Mary's were left out. Yep, SMCC has landed on some hard times, but historically the SBC was at it's best when there was a healthy SMCC. The fact that they are not healthy in almighty football at present must qualify as reason enough to give them the boot. Forget that they have more state wrestling titles than many members schools have in all sports combined. Margaretta joined in 1963 and never left for greener pastures (as if there were any) and to my knowledge the topic hasn't even come up. Yep, forget them. Instead embrace Vermilion and Willard, let's make decisions based on what might effect them when people on this very site seem convinced that both will jump as soon as something better comes along. And I'm not ragging on football, I've coached it for the last forty years.

I guess my only point is that it would be on brand to give MHS and SMCC the pink slip and pretend that it's the Sandusky Bay Conference.

I was adding the follow through to your proposal Woodward be replaced by closing one or two middle schools (reverting a couple k-8s) as opposed to my suggestion they incorporate a middle school tech program. Making Woodward middle school only would take them back to the old model. No way they could support that large a middle school without kids to put into it. It would require reverting all the schools, including PP to the old K-5 or K-6 model. So it's not going to happen.
Gotcha, that makes more sense. My thought was merging Sherman, Leverette, and Spring into Woodward, but I get where you're coming from there.

You sound kinda bigoted yourself cowboy

Did you just assume my gender, Jussie?
Nope, don't even see any reference to it in my post. Be whatever gender you wish to be. I don't know what a jussie is or how cowboys are relevant so your slings went over my head, sorry.

Looking at my original post, yeah I was in a bit of a mood. Wouldn't back off my PERSONAL experiences or my visual or my knowledge of the disparity of city money going out there for an underperforming community but would not want to generalize the people. So split, if your address is anywhere in the 100s, 200s, 300s, 400s or named after some plant, I apologize.

CC, I understand your concern. Split has obviously lurked, occasionally commented and should be welcomed on the thread but my post triggered. My fault, not theirs.

It does have to do with the topic, which is population and schools. I'm not the one that brought it up.

My reason for posting it was because of how Margaretta and St. Mary's were left out. Yep, SMCC has landed on some hard times, but historically the SBC was at it's best when there was a healthy SMCC. The fact that they are not healthy in almighty football at present must qualify as reason enough to give them the boot. Forget that they have more state wrestling titles than many members schools have in all sports combined. Margaretta joined in 1963 and never left for greener pastures (as if there were any) and to my knowledge the topic hasn't even come up. Yep, forget them. Instead embrace Vermilion and Willard, let's make decisions based on what might effect them when people on this very site seem convinced that both will jump as soon as something better comes along. And I'm not ragging on football, I've coached it for the last forty years.

I guess my only point is that it would be on brand to give MHS and SMCC the pink slip and pretend that it's the Sandusky Bay Conference.
Not a dumb question, and I'll admit my comment was a jerkish comment. I'm not thrilled with schools like Bellevue, Clyde, Huron, and Willard. And to an extent, Vermilion. I say this being a Redmen before a Little Giant, also.

Jussie? Is that Uncle Jussie from Full House? Anyway, I'm keeping my day job. Hold the applause.

I feel you but they haven't played 11 man football since 2018. I'll say this, it does kind of stink that you see Calvert being competitive in football & having a 22-0 season in basketball, yet SMCC and SJCC haven't been relevant in football for almost a decade. I'm glad my alma mater is no longer in the SLL/NBC, but at the same time seeing St Wendelin close and now SMCC be relegated to a 8 man football program worries me for the future of the River Division and these schools. Extracurriculars have never been important IMO, the money pouring into travel leagues anymore is just absurd. It's hard to attract students in today's open enrollment world if you don't have competitive sports programs. Just look at Woodmore, they've lost multiple generational football players to other high schools over the last decade

New one, 1st time I heard it.

Smollett -the fake insert "ism" here baiter????
Really? Split's one of the zombies? NOW I get what word he didn't like about the post, lol. Last thing I would have thought of.

Oh well, it's still a hole I dug. Apologies.

... Instead embrace Vermilion and Willard, let's make decisions based on what might effect them when people on this very site seem convinced that both will jump as soon as something better comes along. ...
Seems like it was the same way with Oak Harbor... and that ended up panning out. Plus, Willard was trying to jump ship just last year. And, Vermilion *does* have that pre-SBC history...

I'm not thrilled with schools like Bellevue, Clyde, Huron, and Willard.
Why aren't you thrilled with them?

However based on the current enrollment count with Fremont in the SBC Lake it would like this for the next cycle *without CB

this would be an interesting setup for football
Lake
Fremont 400 boys
Sandusky 346 Boys
Norwalk 341 Boys
Columbian 334 Boys
Clyde 268 Boys
Bellevue 237 Boys *would presumably move back to the Lake based on enrollment per SBC rules

Bay
Perkins 233 Boys
Vermilion 228
Willard 199 * currently in River but I assume would come up with enrollment increase per SBC changes for 23-24 football season.
Port Clinton 194
Edison 157
Huron 154

Enrollment trends for schools like Perkins, Bellevue, and Clyde aren't going to drive those numbers up substantially so I can see why they may not want to have Fremont in the Lake for all sports.

I can also see why Huron doesn't really want to have to play up into the Lake in sports like Football because their enrollment trends are even lower than this.

So really, there is no really good answer to the SBC dilemma because of the shifting enrollments for all these schools

Why aren't you thrilled with them?

However based on the current enrollment count with Fremont in the SBC Lake it would like this for the next cycle *without CB

this would be an interesting setup for football
Lake
Fremont 400 boys
Sandusky 346 Boys
Norwalk 341 Boys
Columbian 334 Boys
Clyde 268 Boys
Bellevue 237 Boys *would presumably move back to the Lake based on enrollment per SBC rules

Bay
Perkins 233 Boys
Vermilion 228
Willard 199 * currently in River but I assume would come up with enrollment increase per SBC changes for 23-24 football season.
Port Clinton 194
Edison 157
Huron 154

Enrollment trends for schools like Perkins, Bellevue, and Clyde aren't going to drive those numbers up substantially so I can see why they may not want to have Fremont in the Lake for all sports.

I can also see why Huron doesn't really want to have to play up into the Lake in sports like Football because their enrollment trends are even lower than this.

So really, there is no really good answer to the SBC dilemma because of the shifting enrollments for all these schools
Willard is currently in the Bay. Once Oak Harbor leaves for the NBC after next school year Willard will be heading to the River and Bellevue will be moving to the Bay. Enrollment doesn’t mean much anymore in the SBC

I feel you but they haven't played 11 man football since 2018. I'll say this, it does kind of stink that you see Calvert being competitive in football & having a 22-0 season in basketball, yet SMCC and SJCC haven't been relevant in football for almost a decade. I'm glad my alma mater is no longer in the SLL/NBC, but at the same time seeing St Wendelin close and now SMCC be relegated to a 8 man football program worries me for the future of the River Division and these schools. Extracurriculars have never been important IMO, the money pouring into travel leagues anymore is just absurd. It's hard to attract students in today's open enrollment world if you don't have competitive sports programs. Just look at Woodmore, they've lost multiple generational football players to other high schools over the last decade
What does "multiple generational" mean?

Enrollment doesn’t mean much anymore in the SBC

It does, it just looks back further than you might expect.

I believe the plan is that every 2 years, they take an average of the past two enrollment counts to determine the divisions 2 years in the future (to provide adequate time to make schedules)

It should have been:
In 2021, use the 2020 and 2018 counts to determine 2023 and 2024's divisions
In 2023 use the 2022 and 2020 counts to determine 2025 and 2026's divisions
Etc.

However, there was no 2020 count due to covid, so it was 2018 and 2016 that were used to figure out the 2023 and 2024 divisions (going back this far is what caused Perkins to edge out Bellevue for the last Lake spot)

The 2022 count that just came out has no bearing on the 2023 divisions, it did not yet exist when those divisions were decided.

He's referring to players whose parents... played for the local team, the families are still living local but the player chose to go play elsewhere. My best guess.
I thought of that too. Now I have at least two very different answers.

Maybe the smurf will come back and tell us.

I always ASSumed when someone said generational talent they meant, only happens once every generation. The way I took it, was that Woodmore had a guy in the 70's (?) play at Michigan and then the NFL. I couldnt think of another D1 football player from their school. The two best cagers from there, respectively went to Bluffton and Ashland. Then in a matter of 10-12 years they lost 4 guys that played D1 football, 5 if you count the Schiets kid from Central, who I thought was from there too and walked on at BG I believed.