Northwest Ohio Realignment

Distance, time, money. It all adds up.

Who wants to make the 70 mile drive to Norwalk for a middle school girls basketball game on a week night?

Like I said...in a vacuum. Enrollment numbers alone don't make this decision, and parents would be fine getting their kids faces kicked in over those drives (completely understandable in that SBC model Dappling threw out...not as understandable in the NBC or NWOAL if those were options).

Except you know that Perrysburg and AW are not going to agree to switch places with Clay and Fremont and that the TRAC publics are trying to get away from the Catholics so there is ZERO chance that all the TRAC and all the NLL merge to form one league.

I know...my response was to your post that there weren't 8 teams interested. I'm working on trying to pick apart posts rather than injecting any obvious nuance to them...something I picked up from a poster here ?

If Maumee parents were upset about a 3 turn trip driving down a 3-Lane highway to Findlay and Fremont, I have terrible news for them about Fostoria.

I still wonder if Oak Harbor would be the NBC first target. They've got way more history with every other team in that conference than Maumee AND theyre a more suitably sized school (Maumee could be up around 1,000 again in 10 years and then they're all screwed).

If that happened, one would have to wonder if Fremont would FINALLY find a way into the SBC.
Maumee’s largest class is their current 7th graders at 200. All of the classes prior to the current 7th graders and youngest are around 150.
Unless maumee annexes some land and expands the district, it won’t be 1000 while all of us are around

So basically, Elmwood ed out on the NBC because they cannot compete in a league with schools relative to their size... got it
NBC
Rossford - 432
Fostoria - 398
Eastwood - 362
Lake - 361
Otsego - 358
Genoa - 341
Elmwood - 279
Woodmore - 250

BVC
Liberty-Benton - 338
Elmwood - 279
Van Buren - 267
Riverdale - 221
McComb - 170
North Baltimore-155
Arcadia - 146
Leipsic - 145
Arlington - 141
Cory Rawson - 129
Pandora-Gilboa - 117
Vanlue - 57

^^^^ Yeah...that post didn't seem very on tone. The NLL is attempting to do this same thing for the sake of the two schools in Elmwood situation and hopefully keeping them in house.

Okay but at some point they have to not suck. Whats next? Maumee to the TAAC so they can be competitive? The NLL isn’t THAT good, the championship teams of the NWOAL and NBC would be playoff teams in most years in the NLL.

Also that’s an awful idea, who the hell wants to drive from any of those places to Maumee for a league game? The road network east of 75 is horrible.

Finally, after experiences with Rossford, why would any small school league want to invite Maumee? They could easily poach kids from the City League who want to be in a winning program and dominate a league like the NBC, especially in basketball. In the past 10 years we’ve seen schools like Rossford and Stritch go from laughable to become some of the best programs in the area.
?????????? The NLL doesn't have any playoffs.

Okay but at some point they have to not suck. Whats next? Maumee to the TAAC so they can be competitive? The NLL isn’t THAT good, the championship teams of the NWOAL and NBC would be playoff teams in most years in the NLL.

Also that’s an awful idea, who the hell wants to drive from any of those places to Maumee for a league game? The road network east of 75 is horrible.

Finally, after experiences with Rossford, why would any small school league want to invite Maumee? They could easily poach kids from the City League who want to be in a winning program and dominate a league like the NBC, especially in basketball. In the past 10 years we’ve seen schools like Rossford and Stritch go from laughable to become some of the best programs in the area.
No they don't.

Maumee’s largest class is their current 7th graders at 200. All of the classes prior to the current 7th graders and youngest are around 150.
Unless maumee annexes some land and expands the district, it won’t be 1000 while all of us are around
And annexation into the city does nothing. Parts of the City of Defiance are in the Tinora school district. You can see Swanton High School from part of the Evergreen district. I believe it requires a vote from residents and I don't see AW residents voting to leave for Maumee.

I know...my response was to your post that there weren't 8 teams interested. I'm working on trying to pick apart posts rather than injecting any obvious nuance to them...something I picked up from a poster here ?
OK, the NLL may have 16 teams interested, but not from schools the new NLL wants in the league.

Last edited:
NBC
Rossford - 432
Fostoria - 398
Eastwood - 362
Lake - 361
Otsego - 358
Genoa - 341
Elmwood - 279
Woodmore - 250

BVC
Liberty-Benton - 338
Elmwood - 279
Van Buren - 267
Riverdale - 221
McComb - 170
North Baltimore-155
Arcadia - 146
Leipsic - 145
Arlington - 141
Cory Rawson - 129
Pandora-Gilboa - 117
Vanlue - 57
Thanks! you just proved my point... Afraid to compete with schools relative to their size.

Any program with a recent loss to Crestline is probably in bad shape.
relying on yappi for info cause jordan strack blocked me on twitter LOL
And annexation into the city does nothing. Parts of the City of Defiance are in the Tinora school district. You can see Swanton High School from part of the Evergreen district. I believe it requires a vote from residents and I don't see AW residents voting to leave for Maumee.
i’m still hearing talks about the the 3 schools leaving the nwoal................ and swanton absolutely wants no part in the league anymore. i don’t know why, but they’ve been unhappy in the nwoal for a long time.

NBC
Rossford - 432
Fostoria - 398
Eastwood - 362
Lake - 361
Otsego - 358
Genoa - 341
Elmwood - 279
Woodmore - 250

BVC
Liberty-Benton - 338
Elmwood - 279
Van Buren - 267
Riverdale - 221
McComb - 170
North Baltimore-155
Arcadia - 146
Leipsic - 145
Arlington - 141
Cory Rawson - 129
Pandora-Gilboa - 117
Vanlue - 57

Break it down by Boys and Girls and you will see how much of a butch move it was...

Boys vs. Girls
Elmwood 162 - 117

Liberty Benton 177 - 161
Riverdale 129 - 112
McComb 89 - 81
North Baltimore 80 - 75
Arlington 78 - 63
Arcadia 66 -80
Cory-Rawson 57 - 62
Pandora-Gilboa 62 - 55
Vanlue 31 - 26

EXTREME buhb!tch MOVE... twice as many boys than 7 of the schools

Last edited:

This is callous...but at some point the old people whose kids went to Maumee in the mod 00's are going to die or downsize. That will recharge the schools just fine. Maumee is one of the most cyclic communities in the state because of relatively flat property values disincentivizing rapid movement for empty nesters and them being landlocked...but they will grow soon enough. When I looked at them for grad work, it seemed like it was a 15 year trough to peak type cycle, so I'd imagine they'll be back up to 1000 or so students in the high school within the next 15 years.

Either that or....open enrollment lol

That I just still couldn't see. Napoleon absolutely, I think this is trending towards them ending up back in the NWOAL. But if Swanton, Delta, Evergreen, and PH ALL leave, how would the league actually stay alive?

Napoleon makes 5. Defiance would make 6, but that would be shaky IMO for LC and maybe even Archbold to stay. Both would look good in the GMC. LC would fit in the NBC well. So say both come and LC leaves....back to 5. Who else is there to even get to 6, much less 8? Maumee would fit, but again like the SBC, getting community support would be tough. BG is too big and a long drive from Bryan. The perfect fit in that league would be Ottawa, right between the big schools and Archbold in size....but there's no way they leave the relative convenience and definite stability of the WBL, especially when they compete well in every sport they care about. Lima could be desperate, but again, too big.

Everyone else is either in a good fit or is too small to want to consider jumping into a league now run by Defiance, Napoleon, Bryan, and Wauseon.

As much as I'd love to be with those 3....I'd have to pass at that. I'll stick with the stable WBL over a 4-5 team league that can't find anyone to add. IMO, the only way this works in a way that those 4 are together is the NWOAL dies and the NLL thing actually happens. And that's looking far more unlikely at this point.
I would have to agree, Defiance will stay in the WBL. However, if Delta, Swanton and Evergreen leaves, look for PH to go to the BVC, BG, Napoleon and Otsego and Maumee to the NWOAL.

I would have to agree, Defiance will stay in the WBL. However, if Delta, Swanton and Evergreen leaves, look for PH to go to the BVC, BG, Napoleon and Otsego and Maumee to the NWOAL.

You think LC and Archbold would stay in that conference with all of them? That's why I just don't see a way Defiance isn't in the NWOAL or NLL here in the next few years. It's way too obvious of a fit for them geographically and enrollment numbers wise to not to be a part.

relying on yappi for info cause jordan strack blocked me on twitter LOL

i’m still hearing talks about the the 3 schools leaving the nwoal................ and swanton absolutely wants no part in the league anymore. i don’t know why, but they’ve been unhappy in the nwoal for a long time.
Because they don't complete in anything... They are trying to pull an Elmwood.... the Ticky TAAC would be perfect for them

So basically, Elmwood buhbitched out on the NBC because they cannot compete in a league with schools relative to their size... got it
giphy.gif

Would Otsego people want that league? At least three of the NWOAL schools they are closest to and play the most would be gone. And would they want to be with BG, Maumee and Napoleon?

Break it down by Boys and Girls and you will see how much of a move it was...

Boys vs. Girls
Elmwood 162 - 117

Liberty Benton 177 - 161
Riverdale 129 - 112
McComb 89 - 81
North Baltimore 80 - 75
Arlington 78 - 63
Arcadia 66 -80
Cory-Rawson 57 - 62
Pandora-Gilboa 62 - 55
Vanlue 31 - 26

what is their enrollment trend in the lower grades though? gotta think long term I would think

Break it down by Boys and Girls and you will see how much of a butch move it was...

Boys vs. Girls
Elmwood 162 - 117

Liberty Benton 177 - 161
Riverdale 129 - 112
McComb 89 - 81
North Baltimore 80 - 75
Arlington 78 - 63
Arcadia 66 -80
Cory-Rawson 57 - 62
Pandora-Gilboa 62 - 55
Vanlue 31 - 26

One has to consider future enrollment too.

Also, it would be interesting to see the number of athletes per sport that participate in the NBC who are not actual members of that school's district (Genoa wrestling several years back, rossford current basketball team, etc). Elmwood geographically are not going to be able to compete with the shenanigans that have taken place in "pulling those kids in" like other schools in the NBC have done.

Boys vs. Girls
Elmwood 162 - 117

Liberty Benton 177 - 161
Riverdale 129 - 112
McComb 89 - 81
North Baltimore 80 - 75
Arlington 78 - 63
Arcadia 66 -80
Cory-Rawson 57 - 62
Pandora-Gilboa 62 - 55
Vanlue 31 - 26

Why do you hate Elmwood?

Not a chance

Honestly, in THAT hypothetical where Maumee AND BG went NWOAL....I think LC and Archbold leave, and Defiance WOULD come. 6 team league, playing a lot of SBC weeks 4 and 5.

Otsego I can't see unless the NBC falls apart or the NWOAL sticks to smaller schools. I'd assume they want no part of a wholesale big school expansion.

i don’t think archbold or liberty center will leave. yeah their enrollment numbers are small, but they would love the new competition in the league. so i can’t see them leaving if they league changes.

Honestly, in THAT hypothetical where Maumee AND BG went NWOAL....I think LC and Archbold leave, and Defiance WOULD come. 6 team league, playing a lot of SBC weeks 4 and 5.

Otsego I can't see unless the NBC falls apart or the NWOAL sticks to smaller schools. I'd assume they want no part of a wholesale big school expansion.
BG is not going to do that.