Northwest Ohio Realignment

Swanton is the only one interested in leaving the NWOAL at this time. They are trying to pull Delta and Evergreen into another league with them. Delta and Evergreen are very competitive in most sports...football has been down for both lately but Evergreen just won the league in boys basketball last year and Delta is a state power in wrestling.

What's the bar for competitive? That basketball title was Evergreen's first boys title since 1999 and just their fourth all time in any sport. There's been chatter about Evergreen looking for a new league several times in the past. Maybe now is different. Not sure why it would be though. Delta has 2 shared NWOAL football titles and 1 outright basketball title in about 60 years in the league. It would make sense that they'd both want to leave if a good opportunity presented itself.

Had to edit. Evergreen shared a title in 2009 not 99. I thought they won two with Brooks Miller.

Last edited:
Swanton is the only one interested in leaving the NWOAL at this time. They are trying to pull Delta and Evergreen into another league with them. Delta and Evergreen are very competitive in most sports...football has been down for both lately but Evergreen just won the league in boys basketball last year and Delta is a state power in wrestling.

Napoleon is much bigger then I thought with enrollment. Not sure if they would have any interest as the people I have talked to from there are happy in the NLL.

Yes I realize Defiance most likely would laugh at the NWOAL but it is a thought. Tinora might be an option but other than football what would they be competitive in?
I cannot wrap my head around why Swanton would want to leave. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't they the 3rd biggest school in the NWOAL? And where would they go that would be more fitting for them? The TAAC so they can be competitive against lesser schools that are the same size of Archbold, Delta, Evergreen, PH and LC?? It just doesn't make sense. Maybe they want to be the ones to replace Woodmore/Elmwood in the NBC?

For the whole? Absolutely...

But some/most of the parts only want whats best for them, and alas, we find ourselves in this predicament.
If Whitmer goes open enrollment (if they hadn't already voted for it), do you think they'd still try to leave?

I cannot wrap my head around why Swanton would want to leave. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't they the 3rd biggest school in the NWOAL? And where would they go that would be more fitting for them? The TAAC so they can be competitive against lesser schools that are the same size of Archbold, Delta, Evergreen, PH and LC?? It just doesn't make sense. Maybe they want to be the ones to replace Woodmore/Elmwood in the NBC?

Maybe it's nice to feel wanted? I think the NBC would love to add Swanton and Oak Harbor to replace Woodmore and Elmwood: similar-size schools to the rest of the league, and geographic bookends.

Maybe it's nice to feel wanted? I think the NBC would love to add Swanton and Oak Harbor to replace Woodmore and Elmwood: similar-size schools to the rest of the league, and geographic bookends.

Well according to a fairly well known poster on another site, the NBC offer to Oak Harbor was rescinded.

What's the bar for competitive? That basketball title was Evergreen's first boys title since 1999 and just their fourth all time in any sport. There's been chatter about Evergreen looking for a new league several times in the past. Maybe now is different. Not sure why it would be though. Delta has 2 shared NWOAL football titles and 1 outright basketball title in about 60 years in the league. It would make sense that they'd both want to leave if a good opportunity presented itself.
I said they were both down in football. Evergreen has 1 league title since 1999 but they have been in the hunt for several others along with Archbold and Wauseon. Delta is not a basketball school for sure but they are competitive in other sports besides that and football...not saying competitive means you win the league every year. I think Swanton is looking at the future and realizing they will not be competitive unless they are in the TAAC.

NWOAL could end up being: Archbold, Bryan, Liberty Center, Napoleon, Patrick Henry, Tinora, and Wauseon if the other 3 decide to leave.

I could see the Green Meadows Conference being poached with Tinora heading to NWOAL, Holgate is already headed to BBC. Ayersville, Fairview, and Edgerton would have to figure things out but Antwerp and Wayne Trace could easily join the NWC with Paulding.

Well according to a fairly well known poster on another site, the NBC offer to Oak Harbor was rescinded.

The same guy who said Genoa was going to the SBC? Maybe, but I have a hard time believing Genoa would leave Lake, Eastwood and Rossford and the < 30 minute bus rides and almost identical size and demographics.

Napoleon is much bigger then I thought with enrollment. Not sure if they would have any interest as the people I have talked to from there are happy in the NLL.

Yes I realize Defiance most likely would laugh at the NWOAL but it is a thought. Tinora might be an option but other than football what would they be competitive in?

Baseball.

And it's not so much Defiance would laugh at the NWOAL. I just see zero reason to even entertain leaving a stable league who saved us from 20 years in the wilderness to jump into the league who kicked us out and put us IN the wilderness. Yes I know that was 70 years ago and pretty much everyone who made that decision is dead. But the issue of us being double the size of most of the league is still pretty close to being an issue. Still more than double the size of Delta, Liberty Center, and Patrick Henry while pretty close to it with Archbold and Evergreen.

Frankly, Napoleon should ALSO laugh in their face after the whole NBL/slow force out they experienced in the 70s, but I can't say I really care what happens to Napoleon lol.

Glad to hear right now the league is fairly stable, I definitely don't want to see a good, competitive, historic league die just because my school had issues with it a long time ago. Last I had heard a year ago or so Delta had one foot out the door. Even if ultimately Bryan and Wauseon decide to leave, it's a nice, solid, compact league that I'd hope could replace those 2 and still thrive.

Last edited:
I said they were both down in football. Evergreen has 1 league title since 1999 but they have been in the hunt for several others along with Archbold and Wauseon. Delta is not a basketball school for sure but they are competitive in other sports besides that and football...not saying competitive means you win the league every year. I think Swanton is looking at the future and realizing they will not be competitive unless they are in the TAAC.

NWOAL could end up being: Archbold, Bryan, Liberty Center, Napoleon, Patrick Henry, Tinora, and Wauseon if the other 3 decide to leave.

I could see the Green Meadows Conference being poached with Tinora heading to NWOAL, Holgate is already headed to BBC. Ayersville, Fairview, and Edgerton would have to figure things out but Antwerp and Wayne Trace could easily join the NWC with Paulding.

Paulding is going to the GMC next year.

I see Antwerp and maybe even Ayersville trending toward 8 man in the future. Honestly if the NWOAL lost the Fulton County 3 and the GMC ever looked shaky, they could probably nab Tinora, Fairview, and Hicksville and all would fit decent. Granted that's a league Archbold and/or Wauseon would DOMINATE in basketball, and Hicksville is quite the drive. But hey, nice to have options.

Interesting? Does that mean someone else has said yes, or that the NBC has decided to go in a different direction altogether?

I guess in time we shall see

The same guy who said Genoa was going to the SBC? Maybe, but I have a hard time believing Genoa would leave Lake, Eastwood and Rossford and the < 30 minute bus rides and almost identical size and demographics.

I don’t recall him saying that nor have I heard anything about Genoa/SBC. The rumble has always been OH/NBC.

Based on all of the comments, it almost seems that keeping the leagues as they are is the least bad option.
Agreed. Adding Napoleon and maumee to the nbc and Whitmer (or Fremont if Whitmer is seen as too big) and clay to the nll is truly the least disruptive option and makes the most sense

Paulding is going to the GMC next year.

I see Antwerp and maybe even Ayersville trending toward 8 man in the future. Honestly if the NWOAL lost the Fulton County 3 and the GMC ever looked shaky, they could probably nab Tinora, Fairview, and Hicksville and all would fit decent. Granted that's a league Archbold and/or Wauseon would DOMINATE in basketball, and Hicksville is quite the drive. But hey, nice to have options.
DHS,

Thanks for the update on Paulding...I hadn't heard that yet. They will help the GMC I think. That is a good point about Tinora, Fairview and Hicksville.

I learned something new tonight...I had no idea they kicked Defiance and napoleon out of the league. Looks like both have done well for themselves after leaving the NWOAL.

DHS,

Thanks for the update on Paulding...I hadn't heard that yet. They will help the GMC I think. That is a good point about Tinora, Fairview and Hicksville.

I learned something new tonight...I had no idea they kicked Defiance and napoleon out of the league. Looks like both have done well for themselves after leaving the NWOAL.

Yeah, in Defiance's case it was just a straight vote out. Used an either unknown or newly made up rule about being 2 times bigger than the average league school. That was 1951. From there we had a short term thing with LCC and Bowling Green that never took off, and reapplied with the NWOAL in the late 60s. Wauseon apparently led the charge in getting and keeping us out, which was understandable then when they were still a small school. Otherwise it was 2 decades of independence, playing schools like Fostoria, part of the WBL, Bryan, Napoleon, BG and having no success. WBL really was a lifesaver for us so I can understand not wanting to jump for anything short of the perfect opportunity.

Napoleon's case was....messy. They were never officially booted, but it was made increasingly clear they weren't really welcome. By 1969 Swanton and Delta pulled out, Archbold, Wauseon, LC, Montpelier, and Evergreen had joined them in a new league (Northern Border), but stayed in the NWOAL at first, and PH joined the NBL. Evergreen left, then by the mid 70s LC threatened to go NBL only which would have killed the league. From there Napoleon kinda just took the hint and joined the GLL, where they mostly struggled until the late 90s. They've rebounded nicely since in the GBC and NLL though.

I guess the big source of soreness for the 2 of us is why were we given so many problems but Bryan wasn't? The only real difference was we won and Bryan was much like today. But eh, in our case it's been 70 years and almost 50 in the WBL now. Napoleon has been out 43. Maybe time heals wounds. I know Archbold would compete well in everything. LC football would be fine. Wauseon has grown to similar size making the old big 3 a big 4. I'm not sure we'd be interested in a reuinion or if the Deltas and Swantons would take on that travel. But I could absolutely see Napoleon rejoining at some point. They'd fit well these days.

Are public schools up that way trying to duck all the big toledo catholics or just TCC
Probably just TCC because they dominate in the biggest revenue sport, but wouldn't be surprised if it was all the other toledo catholics regardless of gender because of recruiting, plus the fact that the same privates ducked the temporary "stop playing" order that all the other public schools had to follow along with all the legal horsecrap that followed that entire catastrophe.

Probably just TCC because they dominate in the biggest revenue sport, but wouldn't be surprised if it was all the other toledo catholics regardless of gender because of recruiting, plus the fact that the same privates ducked the temporary "stop playing" order that all the other public schools had to follow along with all the legal horsecrap that followed that entire catastrophe.
FYP
Recruiting is age old. The vouchers I imagine have them somewhat pizzed off but I would think the line got stepped over when the privates showed they would not support their league members, that it really was all about themselves. Quite contrary to the mottos they place over their entrance doors. People will accept cheating more than they will accept selfish.

I kind of wonder, when the privtes were discussing how they were going to respond to that order, did anyone in the room say, "maybe we ought not to do this or that?" Or was it all, how do we get around this with no thought to perceptions or morals? Did THEY discuss a line they would not cross?

Last edited:
Weird question...but would Liberty-Benton ever consider jumping in the NBC (for Elmwood), WBL (if Defiance left), hell, even the NLL (I know that'sfarfetched, but if other schools their size are getting thrown around, why not add them to the discussion lol)? They've got to be a little upset at their conference not having enough teams to support their primary sports...and I think they would instantly be competitive in any of those conferences. Just a thought with all of the moving pieces being thrown around out there.

Weird question...but would Liberty-Benton ever consider jumping in the NBC (for Elmwood), WBL (if Defiance left), hell, even the NLL (I know that'sfarfetched, but if other schools their size are getting thrown around, why not add them to the discussion lol)? They've got to be a little upset at their conference not having enough teams to support their primary sports...and I think they would instantly be competitive in any of those conferences. Just a thought with all of the moving pieces being thrown around out there.
I've heard people say earlier in one of these threads that LB is very comfortable "being the big fish in a small pond." If they got to NLL the competition would be crazy as heck in certain sports, but that is not going to happen at all lol.

I've heard people say earlier in one of these threads that LB is very comfortable "being the big fish in a small pond." If they got to NLL the competition would be crazy as heck in certain sports, but that is not going to happen at all lol.

Like I said, it was farfetched, just a late night thought popping up and figured I'd see HOW farfetched :LOL:

I think they would best fit in the WBL (the NLL would be ok fit but long drives if other schools include Bryan) but unless the BVC kicks them out I just don't see them leaving. The day will come where LB will be kicked out for getting way to big unless there are other changes in the BVC.

I have heard two main points this week with the NW Ohio realignment talk.

1. Jordan Strack may have blown some talks out of the water and it may not end up happening - a lot of people involved in this decision in each school - boards, supers, principals, ADs, coaches. Doesn't just happen like that. We will see.

2. NBC is going to hold tight (that's why Oak Harbor invite was rescinded) and wait to see where the chips fall before deciding how to proceed.

I have heard two main points this week with the NW Ohio realignment talk.

1. Jordan Strack may have blown some talks out of the water and it may not end up happening - a lot of people involved in this decision in each school - boards, supers, principals, ADs, coaches. Doesn't just happen like that. We will see.
Strack might have been correct that a lot of administrators were looking to make moves from conferences, but all of those people are probably not on the same page with what they wanted to do. Look at Maumee and Napoleon. The "small school" conference will only have two teams if both of them left to go to the NBC, and that moving rumor was just speculation as well. The NLL still will have to fill 4 slots into that small school division if all of the TRAC publics make the move (something that the TRAC commissioner has said hasn't happened yet) and all of the remaining schools stay, which is something that could end up not happening at all/being reduced to only a handful of teams leaving, especially with the Whitmer vote to go open enrollment. The NLL only giving out a "vision" for expansion and not having any concrete teams as part of it only complicates things further.

And that's only the interactions between 2-3 conferences! People are saying the TAAC will collapse, Defiance will leave the WBL, the NWOAL destabilizes, etc. It's all so crazy to see how much of a domino effect these silent (or not-so silent) resentments within programs can have against the entire high school sports scene in NWO.

I have a feeling either it all happens at once, potentially making a semi-unstable yet competitive environment for some conferences, or it eventually ends up being all smoke and no fire. Happy I have Yappi to see all this conversation in a truly interesting time for NWO athletics.