Northwest Ohio Realignment

OK, but Rossford, Eastwood, and Lake are not going to abandon Genoa & Otsego (Fostoria, maybe) or join a league with BG & Southview.

I was not saying it will happen, but it would make a lot of sense if the NLL "could" get their wish based on their stated goals. I didn't include Fremont/Findlay because they spent a couple sentences talking about transportation in their press release. Why state that unless they were letting Fremont and Findlay down lightly up front. I also don't think there is any chance they let the private schools in......so that only leaves room to add small school teams after Clay and Whitmer.

Plus the NBC schools would not be in a division with BG and SV.

Big Division

Add
1. Clay
2. Whitmer

Remain
3. Perrysburg
4. Anthony Wayne
5. Springfield
6. Northview
7. Southview
8. Bowling Green

Small Division

1. Maumee
2. Napoleon

Add
3. Defiance
4. Wauseon
5. Archbold
6. Rossford
7. Eastwood
8. Lake

I think the least likely to want to jump would be Defiance. So then you start looking at Genoa, Oak Harbor or another NWOAL team.

Last edited:
I was not saying it will happen, but it would make a lot of sense if the NLL "could" get their wish based on their stated goals. I didn't include Fremont/Findlay because they spent a couple sentences talking about transportation in their press release. Why state that unless they were letting Fremont and Findlay down lightly up front. I also don't think there is any chance they let the private schools in......so that only leaves room to add small school teams after Clay and Whitmer.

Big Division

Add
1. Clay
2. Whitmer

Remain
3. Perrysburg
4. Anthony Wayne
5. Springfield
6. Northview
7. Southview
8. Bowling Green

Small Division

1. Maumee
2. Napoleon

Add
3. Defiance
4. Wauseon
5. Archbold
6. Rossford
7. Eastwood
8. Lake

I think the least likely to want to jump would be Defiance.

I like it, but I think the further west you go, the less likely you get Lake, Rossford and Eastwood on board...plus, Archbold doesn't seem like they'd be keen to that one. I still think Findlay is in with a bullet...Ross MIGHT not be. If Ross doesn't come over, then you could add Eastwood, Lake, Rossford, Otsego, Genoa to Napoleon, BG, and Maumee and everyone is happy except Fostoria (who is always going to be the odd school out).

I could easily see Swanton, Delta, Evergreen, Liberty Center, Patrick Henry, and Archbold seeing what Ottawa Hills and Northwood think about jumping in if Wauseon and Bryan leave though. I think that would be a pretty great conference setup for all involved, would remove the long drives to Williams County for OH and Northwood, the private schools gaming the system the way the TCS and Stritch have been doing lately, and would have a pretty steady identity as far as size and school demographics (with OH being the obvious exception who couldn't find a home anywhere else.
The schools in the NWOAL would not want Ottawa Hills. This does not make any sense to me considering Ottawa Hills does not have wrestling and are not competitive in football. Sure they have won games... but that is the TAAC. The schools are not going to reach for a team in the city when they do not have to. I could see the league reaching out to Otsego. This makes the most sense to me.

The schools in the NWOAL would not want Ottawa Hills. This does not make any sense to me considering Ottawa Hills does not have wrestling and are not competitive in football. Sure they have won games... but that is the TAAC. The schools are not going to reach for a team in the city when they do not have to. I could see the league reaching out to Otsego. This makes the most sense to me.

Good call, if they are available (not in the NLL or another conference for some reason), they would be a perfect match. That scenario was laid out as if they were not.

Big Division

Add
1. Clay
2. Whitmer

Remain
3. Perrysburg
4. Anthony Wayne
5. Springfield
6. Northview
7. Southview
8. Bowling Green

Small Division

1. Maumee
2. Napoleon

Add
3. Defiance
4. Wauseon
5. Archbold
6. Rossford
7. Eastwood
8. Lake

I think the least likely to want to jump would be Defiance. So then you start looking at Genoa, Oak Harbor or another NWOAL team.
BG will never agree to be in a league with Whitmer. Southview probably the same..

I thought transportation was a big thing. Why do Eastwood & Lake dump Otsego & Genoa so they can drive all the way to Archbold & Defiance?

Last edited:
Bedford wants nothing to do with the TRAC...that is just plain dumb. They've told Whitmer to kick rocks even though they're one of their biggest rivals and they've all but dropped every other non-Michigan team off of their schedules. I don't even think OHSAA allows for sponsored conferences to have teams outside of Ohio in them anymore.

Clay burned so many bridges in the last realignment that they NEED the other four to bring them in, and Maumee has an NBC invite that they haven't accepted yet because they're trying to do this thing with the NLL.

There are multiple leagues in SE Ohio involving WV teams. Maybe they were grandfathered in, but I'm betting the OHSAA doesn't care.

BG will never agree to be in a league with Whitmer. Southview probably the same..

I though transportation was a big thing. Why do Eastwood & Lake dump Otsego & Genoa so they can drive all the way to Archbold & Defiance?

Yeah, that didn't make much sense to me either. I think it's more likely that the NLL adds Whitmer, Findlay, and Clay, then takes all of the non-Fostoria NBC teams remaining after Woodmore and Elmwood leave and calls it a day.

Ross gets a lifeline from the SBC and the NWOAL survives.

There are multiple leagues in SE Ohio involving WV teams. Maybe they were grandfathered in, but I'm betting the OHSAA doesn't care.

As long as computer points are a thing, it could cause a problem. Like I said, I wasn't sure. What I am sure about is that Bedford would absolutely not join a conference with Whitmer in it.

I though transportation was a big thing. Why do Eastwood & Lake dump Otsego & Genoa so they can drive all the way to Archbold & Defiance?

Hey I said an NLL wish list ;). So you just look at transportation for the existing NLL teams Maumee and Napoleon. Only 45 min from Lake to Napoleon. The rest are all closer drives for both Maumee and Napoleon.

Does it make sense for the new teams? That is for them to decide.

The NBC schools might be willing to do it because their league may be falling apart. You don't want to be the last one standing when the music stops.

or do evergreen, delta, & swanton leave the NWOAL .. & Napoleon, defiance, and maumee could replace them??? cause i’ve heard a few rumors that them 3 schools are pretty unhappy in the league.

PH would be out of that league yesterday. LC and Archbold wouldn't be far behind.

So then you'd be back at 6 with no real options other than hoping Rossford comes and maybe an Ottawa-Glandorf came with Defiance. Which wouldn't happen.

As long as computer points are a thing, it could cause a problem. Like I said, I wasn't sure. What I am sure about is that Bedford would absolutely not join a conference with Whitmer in it.

Computer points wouldn't be a problem. You DO get points from out of state teams.....

Hey I said an NLL wish list ;).

They might be willing to do it because the NBC may be falling apart. You don't want to be the last one standing when the music stops.

Thats what a lot of people aren't connecting. Teams might not be 100% ok with a move, but at the end of the day, would being in a conference that isn't perfect be better than not being in one at all? Yes.

Computer points wouldn't be a problem. You DO get points from out of state teams.....

Yeah, I mixed things up in my head...Bedford would be the one getting f'ed over, not the Ohio Schools (even though you only get first level points from out of state teams). Bedford needs 6 wins to make the playoffs...why would they join a league where that becomes WAAAAAAY harder?

Yeah, I mixed things up in my head...Bedford would be the one getting f'ed over, not the Ohio Schools (even though you only get first level points from out of state teams). Bedford needs 6 wins to make the playoffs...why would they join a league where that becomes WAAAAAAY harder?

You get 2nd level. Even better, your 2nd level points are all based on the school you played's size. So if Bedford is Ohio D1 and they win 6, you get 6 D1 wins 2nd level no matter who they beat.

Michigan changed their format too, no longer is it everyone with 6 is in. They have a straight computer point/division structure now too.

You get 2nd level. Even better, your 2nd level points are all based on the school you played's size. So if Bedford is Ohio D1 and they win 6, you get 6 D1 wins 2nd level no matter who they beat.

Michigan changed their format too, no longer is it everyone with 6 is in. They have a straight computer point/division structure now too.

That's huge news...seems more fair, even if we're seeing the downside of Computer points in our state.

Yeah, that didn't make much sense to me either. I think it's more likely that the NLL adds Whitmer, Findlay, and Clay, then takes all of the non-Fostoria NBC teams remaining after Woodmore and Elmwood leave and calls it a day.

Ross gets a lifeline from the SBC and the NWOAL survives.
Ross won't be going to the SBC.

Sincerely,

FremontKeith

I could easily see Swanton, Delta, Evergreen, Liberty Center, Patrick Henry, and Archbold seeing what Ottawa Hills and Northwood think about jumping in if Wauseon and Bryan leave though. I think that would be a pretty great conference setup for all involved, would remove the long drives to Williams County for OH and Northwood, the private schools gaming the system the way the TCS and Stritch have been doing lately, and would have a pretty steady identity as far as size and school demographics (with OH being the obvious exception who couldn't find a home anywhere else.

Ottawa Hills is the only school that has a gripe in the TAAC. The funny thing is I don't hear complaints from OH families/coaches. They seem to embrace the competition or know they don't have a better fit. Northwood has a ton of open enrollment athletes and the 4 private schools have no shortage of "athletic driven enrollment", mainly in basketball.

Last edited:
How about this. If Wauseon and Bryan depart from the NWOAL, How about replacing them with Tinora and Otsego?

That would be best for them.

Not sure Tinora would leave the other Defiance County schools behind.

Would the NWOAL even entertain letting Montpelier back in?

Who else is there? Wouldn't see LB taking on the travel even though they'd fit great. They entertained LCC once they left the NWC. But couldn't see that working for long.

That would be best for them.

Not sure Tinora would leave the other Defiance County schools behind.

Would the NWOAL even entertain letting Montpelier back in?

Who else is there? Wouldn't see LB taking on the travel even though they'd fit great. They entertained LCC once they left the NWC. But couldn't see that working for long.
I was actually thinking Montpelier to the GMC but I don't see why the NWOAL would be opposed to them rejoining. Especially if the big schools depart. Question is if MP wants to do so

LB to the NWOAL? I doubt they'd be up for that but it would be a fit Athletic wise. Logistically not so much.

I was actually thinking Montpelier to the GMC but I don't see why the NWOAL would be opposed to them rejoining. Especially if the big schools depart. Question is if MP wants to do so

LB to the NWOAL? I doubt they'd be up for that but it would be a fit Athletic wise. Logistically not so much.

Yeah that's the only reason I brought LB. Size and talent they'd be a great fit. But I can't see them consistently wanting that travel. Playing Archbold is one thing, signing up for multiple trips a year to Fulton County in every sport is probably a no go.

But LC-LB and LB-Archbold every year would be lots of fun.

Tinora is absolutely a great fit and I could see that. It's 10-15 minutes to Archbold, basically right up Domersville (CR 24 in Henry and Fulton Counties). They play LC and have played Delta. They'd compete well. I'm sure Edgerton would love Montpelier to the GMC, and if Edon and Hilltop eventually go 8 man it gives everyone a home. I can envision this more and more.

Big Division

Add
1. Clay
2. Whitmer

Remain
3. Perrysburg
4. Anthony Wayne
5. Springfield
6. Northview
7. Southview
8. Bowling Green

Small Division

1. Maumee
2. Napoleon

Add
3. Defiance
4. Wauseon
5. Archbold
6. Rossford
7. Eastwood
8. Lake

Why would anyone agree to that small division?What benefit would there be to playing in a total murderers row league?

It’s one of the biggest mistakes made in league realignment. This happened to college hockey a few years back. The Big 10 came in with Penn State adding the sport, plucking WCHA powers Minnesota and Wisconsin, and CCHA powers Michigan, Notre Dame and Michigan State. Then all the remaining top teams from the WCHA and CCHA formed the NCHC while the WCHA became a sort of “small division” including Bowling Green.

All those big dogs in two leagues beat the hell out of each other and many programs completely fell apart. Ohio State and Penn State rose to strength while long time greats Michigan, Michigan State and Wisconsin crumbled. In the NCHC a formidable Miami Ohio got eaten up so bad in the new league their legendary coach was canned.

Schools like Maumee and Woodmore probably have reached the end of the road in their leagues and risk losing a football program at this rate. But making super leagues can be just as deadly to athletic programs

Yeah that's the only reason I brought LB. Size and talent they'd be a great fit. But I can't see them consistently wanting that travel. Playing Archbold is one thing, signing up for multiple trips a year to Fulton County in every sport is probably a no go.

But LC-LB and LB-Archbold every year would be lots of fun.

Tinora is absolutely a great fit and I could see that. It's 10-15 minutes to Archbold, basically right up Domersville (CR 24 in Henry and Fulton Counties). They play LC and have played Delta. They'd compete well. I'm sure Edgerton would love Montpelier to the GMC, and if Edon and Hilltop eventually go 8 man it gives everyone a home. I can envision this more and more.
Most likely not.

This I agree with. Would be good non-Conference games.

If I were Edon and Hilltop, I'd be looking toward 8 man. It's almost a foregone conclusion. Especially when North Central becomes a varsity 8-Man program.

Findlay is a near lock to be in new NLL.

Do you think the comment in the press release about transportation is directed at Lima, not Findlay and Fremont?

Personally, I have never minded the drive to Fremont, Findlay or Lima (when the games were competitive). It was a lot harder at the middle school level with Lima and Findlay having 2 middle schools each and Fremont with 1.

Those drives for most current NLL families would not be very desirable though, if they had a vote.

If Fremont and Findlay are in the big division (along with Clay and Whitmer) and only 4 schools are needed for the small division those spots will be filled easily. Like hobos fighting over a hot dog.

Ross is never getting into the SBC. Clyde and Bellevue will never vote to admit the Little Giants. And frankly, some Ross fans don't want the Little Giants in that league. Now if Ross, Columbian, Norwalk and Sandusky were to pull together to form a league, I'd be good with that.

Do you think the comment in the press release about transportation is directed at Lima, not Findlay and Fremont?

Personally, I have never minded the drive to Fremont, Findlay or Lima (when the games were competitive). It was a lot harder at the middle school level with Lima and Findlay having 2 middle schools each and Fremont with 1.

Those drives for most current NLL families would not be very desirable though, if they had a vote.

If Fremont and Findlay are in the big division (along with Clay and Whitmer) and only 4 schools are needed for the small division those spots will be filled easily. Like hobos fighting over a hot dog.

Yeah, its definitely about Lima IMO. Findlay is only 10 minutes further than Napoleon for every team in the league, and if they aren't making both (meaning Naooleon is in a different division), I'm sure they won't mind. Thats an easy drive to both the high school and the football stadium for all of the area high schools, so you won't have many complaints. I'd also bet there are more than a few Perrysburg and AW parents who work down in Findlay, so away games would mean hanging back in their office on S. Main St. a bit longer. Truthfully, if Findlay were where BG was in geographical comparison to the NLL schools, they would've been in that conference when the old GLL split up IMO.

Lima is basically twice as far as Findlay for all of the expected upper division teams (Perrysburg, AW, Springfield, and Northview)...there is no chance any of the NLL schools would stomach that, even without factoring in all the other issues they bring.

I don’t see LB going anywhere. There would have to be some guarantee to Elmwood that LB and even VB are staying around in the BVC - not having them makes the move much less-desirable. I would think adding Elmwood gives the BVC a little more stability, which all the small Findlay area schools want. The BVC has a lot of good traditions and a history of winning in various sports, don’t think any of the core schools want it to fail.