Northwest Ohio Realignment

Yep...looking like the ONLY thing the NLL would do is replace Maumee and BG/Napoleon with Clay and Fremont IF that even happens (which would require Elmwood and Woodmore or Otsego to leave, which doesn't appear to be a sure thing at all). If the NWOAL 3 leave with the TAAC members, the remaining would probably just ask Napoleon to get back to 6 or something (conjecture on my part there)...I still think it's a bit odd that a school announces that they're staying in a conference that may be completely undercut in short order though. That seems like a recipe for a pretty swift walk back at some point should the reported information about an 8 team conference losing 3 members become true. Maybe they get Defiance, Napoleon, and Maumee or something (though I'd be shocked if Maumee would join or PH/LC would be ok with adding that many large schools).

Clay and Findlay have made it seem like they're done with the TRAC either way based on some confidence I've gotten...so things could get very interesting there, but outside of any little things. Whitmer looks like they're going to be completely f*cked.

Last edited:
I wonder if there is a chance they go to 10 teams. Either the 8 stays and add Clay and Whitmer/Fremont or Maumee and Napoleon leave and the 4 come from the TRAC.

I personally like 8 team leagues but there is a lot of long lasting leagues with 10 happy members.

Yep...looking like the ONLY thing the NLL would do is replace Maumee and BG/Napoleon with Clay and Fremont IF that even happens (which would require Elmwood and Woodmore or Otsego to leave, which doesn't appear to be a sure thing at all). If the NWOAL 3 leave with the TAAC members, the remaining would probably just ask Napoleon to get back to 6 or something (conjecture on my part there)...I still think it's a bit odd that a school announces that they're staying in a conference that may be completely undercut in short order though. That seems like a recipe for a pretty swift walk back at some point should the reported information about an 8 team conference losing 3 members become true. Maybe they get Defiance, Napoleon, and Maumee or something (though I'd be shocked if Maumee would join or PH/LC would be ok with adding that many large schools).

Clay and Findlay have made it seem like they're done with the TRAC either way based on some confidence I've gotten...so things could get very interesting there, but outside of any little things. Whitmer looks like they're going to be completely f*cked.

That would be true.

Last edited:
None of this shocks me. As we’ve all said, Maumee and Woodmore are the only schools in true need of a switch. Maybe Ross as well. Clay has actually won the most TRAC titles for a public school since the league’s inception for all sports for so there are quite a few sports in which they do not need to go to the NLL

After everything is said and done, I still think a lot will have been said and nothing will get done.

My sources at Maumee told me that once it got out via twitter that it was "dead in the water." Perrysburg and AW really didn't want to change. If Maumee has no where to go and the NLL stays put, both schools are looking good.

My sources also told me that "whitmer was considered too big" and Findlay and Fremont are "too far."

Last edited:

Who did that?

My sources also told me that "whitmer was considered too big" and Findlay and Fremont are "too far."

If this is true why did the NLL announce they are looking to expanded to 16 teams that wasn't going to happen w/o those 3. I am sure some of the schools think that but the league in general must not have.

I do find it laughable, if it is in fact the case, that the NLL schools think Fremont and Findlay are too far. Where were these magical schools going to come from that are 10 minutes drives down the road? I mean, , Findlay is the easiest drive ever, as is a way more "winable" D1 game than any other team in or out of the area.

Seems to me some "sources" are parents complaints rather than actual information...either that or the supers and ADs who supported that expansion announcement have never seen a map of NW Ohio/are the dumbest human beings on planet earth.

I do find it laughable, if it is in fact the case, that the NLL schools think Fremont and Findlay are too far. Where were these magical schools going to come from that are 10 minutes drives down the road? I mean, , Findlay is the easiest drive ever, as is a way more "winable" D1 game than any other team in or out of the area.

Seems to me some "sources" are parents complaints rather than actual information...either that or the supers and ADs who supported that expansion announcement have never seen a map of NW Ohio/are the dumbest human beings on planet earth.

I don’t blame them. I understand all the wishing on here, but the NLL has no real incentive to do anything other than to swap Maumee with Clay

I don’t blame them. I understand all the wishing on here, but the NLL has no real incentive to do anything other than to swap Maumee with Clay

Oh I know...but why send out a press release saying you're going to 16 then? Seems like they don't know WHAT they want.

I guess we're going with the fact that they are "the dumbest human beings on planet earth."

I think those are the people that do not understand how ideas get tried and implemented. Quoting you,
"looking to expand" to a 16 team, 2 division league

That's not a statement they are GOING to 16. That's an exploratory statement. It's first steps in a feasibility. "Smart" people understand that, whether they're involved in high school sports or not. But there are always those who will denigrate people who explore and try. And it's so much easier for them to denigrate after the fact if it doesn't work out. ?

Were you feeling rejected Jafo? Help me to remember. When the Toledo Publics reinstated sports, were you in the camp that fought hard to include those schools into the league?

Last edited:
I wonder if there is a chance they go to 10 teams. Either the 8 stays and add Clay and Whitmer/Fremont or Maumee and Napoleon leave and the 4 come from the TRAC.

I personally like 8 team leagues but there is a lot of long lasting leagues with 10 happy members.
No.

They didn't.

Semantics...you don't do something like that without fully intending to follow through. Sounds like some member schools had no desire whatsoever to do it, and, to me, it seems extremely stupid to even go through the motions if you know that.

I mean, general question...what schools did they think would want to join? There aren't even 16 schools inside/around the 475 loop, let alone ones in D1-D3. Just seems like a dumb exercise if you had no intention of following through.

If in fact the NLL expansion is dead, we will never know how it all fell apart but I know some coaches at schools that were rumored to be going to the NLL that thought an announcement was imminent. I don't buy that the current NLL schools weren't all on board. Maybe they weren't thrilled about adding Ross.....add in the decision at Whitmer an it makes it virtually impossible to get to the numbers they need to add to get to 16. I don't see the travel distance to Findlay being an issue. Many of the NLL schools play Findlay in a variety of sports each season now.

I live in the Oregon City Schools district and have kids who attend school at the lower levels. Can someone from Clay explain to me what the advantage is of them joining the NLL if Whitmer, Findlay also want to join the NLL?

Yes they get out of playing the Catholic schools but is it really that much of an advantage when it comes to football?

The "too far" was pushback from parents and community members who in turn talked to board members who are now in the ears of AD's. The idea originally was to get everyone on board and THEN present it the community. Having it leaked out via twitter brought "too many cooks to the dinner."

I am simply the messenger relaying what my weekly breakfast and (sometimes) spin group tells me.

The "too far" was pushback from parents and community members who in turn talked to board members who are now in the ears of AD's. The idea originally was to get everyone on board and THEN present it the community. Having it leaked out via twitter brought "too many cooks to the dinner."

I am simply the messenger relaying what my weekly breakfast and (sometimes) spin group tells me.

Complain about driving an extra 20 minutes over having your children pounded into oblivion in every sport. Smart move Maumee parents...guess things haven't changed in a decade since the last time.

Not really surprised if this ends up being true. There's too much convenience in the current NLL and many are spoiled with an abundance of short trips. That's tough for some people to give up.

Early on I thought this didn't really make a whole lot of sense outside of trying to swap out the bottom 2-3 NLL schools in enrollment and replacing them with Clay plus 1-2 others. Even with that, I wouldn't have been too surprised if there would have been NLL parents crying about having to drive to the Eastside through 475 rush hour traffic to get to Clay all the time.

Complain about driving an extra 20 minutes over having your children pounded into oblivion in every sport. Smart move Maumee parents...guess things haven't changed in a decade since the last time.
How is it Maumee parents' fault that there aren't eight schools looking to join the NLL?

How is it Maumee parents' fault that there aren't eight schools looking to join the NLL?
There are definitely 8 schools that want to join the NLL, just that those 8 don't fit whatever standards the NLL schools want (Private, not the "preferred" driving distance). If they really want their 16 team league, they would have to make some concessions to their "vision." Not saying the Catholics don't deserve it, but the TRAC publics are definitely getting screwed because parents can't fathom driving a little bit to a game. I can understand the Jr. High argument, but if you want better competition you will need to compromise.

If all this does fall through, what's the next step for the TRAC publics? They're still going to be stuck in the same league with teams they obviously don't want to deal with. Should bring about some interesting tensions.