Northwest Ohio Realignment

When, not if, the OHSAA sponsors an 8-man division/state championship game, you'll realize that this is not true.
We shall see but more teams are going to have to have 8 man before they sponsor it and right now there is no movement toward more teams playing 8 man. Teams that would move to 8 man are not making the play-offs at 11 man so not sure why they would wait for OHSAA to sponsor it.

Holgate actually has much improved numbers and a team this year that could probably compete in the GMC.

They chose to stay 8 man.

At some point winning, or at least not getting your face kicked in every week, looks way more attractive than this idea some have that 11 man is the only real football
One team doesn't disprove the statement plus they are much improved against other 8 man teams. I bet if they get their roster consistently in the upper 20's there will be a movement to go to 11 man football.

For the past 5 years or so every year many have predicted 8 man would take off soon and we have yet to see it happen.

Stryker did try 11 man starting in 2018 and then dropped to 8 man in 2020. They have seen success and I think that’s awesome. Lots of small schools in northern Ohio, both public and private that have already benefited from 8 man. North Central has been doing 11 man varsity the last 2 years, kind of surprised they did not do 8 man since Stryker and Holgate are in close proximity.
https://www.northcentralschool.org/athletic-department/hs-athletic-teams/fall-sports-2023-2024

Well North Central has 24 on the roster so in reality its up to them. They could play 11 Man and be fine and just not have much depth. They are 5-1 obviously against not so hot competition but they are playing a schedule a new small school program should be playing.

Did we lose a thread? I could have sworn AYCC! had a NWO thread where I posted asking how it was working out with the travel and all. Anyhow, still pertinent here.

I saw a stat that said SE Michigan, Catholic population has fallen under a million. I'd imagine many of those older. Is this possibly whey the DCL teams haven't shown up? Could future realignment bring Toledo Catholics back home?

Did we lose a thread? I could have sworn AYCC! had a NWO thread where I posted asking how it was working out with the travel and all. Anyhow, still pertinent here.

I saw a stat that said SE Michigan, Catholic population has fallen under a million. I'd imagine many of those older. Is this possibly whey the DCL teams haven't shown up? Could future realignment bring Toledo Catholics back home?

Wait til the smaller 7 of the NLL get tired of the crossovers/constant shuffling between divisions.

I think you'll eventually see EITHER 2 divisions of 7 or 2 leagues, with Whitmer, Findlay, Perrysburg, and AW taking the Catholics simply for survival.

Northview, Southview, Fremont, BG, Clay, Napoleon, Springfield, with an 8th TBD (Columbian? Lima? Defiance? LB?)
simply makes sense.

Wait til the smaller 7 of the NLL get tired of the crossovers/constant shuffling between divisions.

I think you'll eventually see EITHER 2 divisions of 7 or 2 leagues, with Whitmer, Findlay, Perrysburg, and AW taking the Catholics simply for survival.

Northview, Southview, Fremont, BG, Clay, Napoleon, Springfield, with an 8th TBD (Columbian? Lima? Defiance? LB?)
simply makes sense.
Get Maumee and Lima Sr and call it the NLL and the TRAC…wait a second. But seriously, Perrysburg and Anthony Wayne won’t join the privates so good luck.

Get Maumee and Lima Sr and call it the NLL and the TRAC…wait a second. But seriously, Perrysburg and Anthony Wayne won’t join the privates so good luck.

I mean, if they'd rather be independent that's on them. 🤷

No complaining about week 7 road trips across the state at that point. They'd have made their bed....better be proud enough to lie in it.

I mean, if they'd rather be independent that's on them. 🤷

No complaining about week 7 road trips across the state at that point. They'd have made their bed....better be proud enough to lie in it.
The smaller 7 of the NLL already made their bed. It hasn't even been 1 season. Why don't we wait and see how their bed feels later? At least after a full school year. Be proud.

Lima Senior may very well play their way out of the TCAL if they're not careful.

While the Spartans still have Scott and Start on the schedule, so far the TCAL has proven to be virtually no challenge for Lima. Were these results a surprise? They should not have been since in 2022 Lima gave a preview against Bowsher and Rogers what would happen.

It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the school year and the next few years play out for Lima and the TCAL. If it becomes a NWC / LCC situation like back in 2012, Lima Senior may find themselves without a home again.

Lima Senior may very well play their way out of the TCAL if they're not careful.

While the Spartans still have Scott and Start on the schedule, so far the TCAL has proven to be virtually no challenge for Lima. Were these results a surprise? They should not have been since in 2022 Lima gave a preview against Bowsher and Rogers what would happen.

It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the school year and the next few years play out for Lima and the TCAL. If it becomes a NWC / LCC situation like back in 2012, Lima Senior may find themselves without a home again.
Long shot switch. Lima Senior to the WBL and Kenton to the CBC. Lima Senior enrollment discrepancy is not as large as before. Gate receipts would improve for Kenton and Senior, the rest of the WBL would see an increase in gate receipts for basketball. Football gate receipts may get better for Bath, Elida, and Shawnee when Senior goes to those places.

They should be in the NLL. Shame on the NLL.

It would be a double financial hit to schools if LS was in the NLL. Have to pay more for the long bus rides to Lima and then when the schools host LS they would only bring a handful of paying fans. And in LS is so far from being competitive in many sports and lack JV teams in some sports makes them a bad fit for the NLL. LS is very unlikely to get any bigger so fit is likely to get even worse in the future. TCL is by far the best fit for LS since WBL will never be an option.

The NLL for Lima would simply have been the TRAC 2.0

Lima would've competed in boys basketball, and depending on scheduling football but Lima had no business playing NDA, SUA, SFS and SJJ in volleyball, softball, baseball, soccer, etc.... The results for those sports in the NLL would've been the same as in the TRAC.

Lima sports as a whole benefit from TCAL level competition in non-revenue sports.

Long shot switch. Lima Senior to the WBL and Kenton to the CBC. Lima Senior enrollment discrepancy is not as large as before. Gate receipts would improve for Kenton and Senior, the rest of the WBL would see an increase in gate receipts for basketball. Football gate receipts may get better for Bath, Elida, and Shawnee when Senior goes to those places.
Yes, but the demographics of that enrollment some WBL (not all) schools are let's say not "comfortable" with.

It would be a double financial hit to schools if LS was in the NLL. Have to pay more for the long bus rides to Lima and then when the schools host LS they would only bring a handful of paying fans. And in LS is so far from being competitive in many sports and lack JV teams in some sports makes them a bad fit for the NLL. LS is very unlikely to get any bigger so fit is likely to get even worse in the future. TCL is by far the best fit for LS since WBL will never be an option.
As someone who graduated from Lima Senior and went to college on Bancroft St. ....the drive by bus or car is not that bad. Shoot, I played back when we were in the GMC. That 1 hour bus ride to play St. Francis in week 1 every year paled in comparison to the 2.5 hour bus rides to Milford, Princeton and Lakota.

But I agree, the TCAL is by far the best fit for Lima Senior in the overall grand scheme of things.

I believe if Lima Sr. were a D2 suburban team with a demographic makeup much like the rest of the NLL they'd be in. This is not so much about travel as it is about other sports and JV and freshman team scheduling. I get that. So what? The trade off would be a true balanced league which I think supersedes Lima Sr. not having a golf team. Football and basketball drive leagues and Lima Sr. would be top tier in basketball and compete in the lower tier in football. I personally think it was pathetic that the NLL said we'd rather have a bastard league of 11 than allow Lima Sr. in.

Yes, but the demographics of that enrollment some WBL (not all) schools are let's say not "comfortable" with.
If by demographics you mean that LS doesn't bring fans then I agree. Don't forget the fact the WBL hasn't had an opening since LS was at least had double their current enrollment.

Outside of the top sports at the TCLs, that travel is a huge burden. It can't be cheap. Whoever made this decision, I'd be looking for who has a buddy owning a bus line.

If by demographics you mean that LS doesn't bring fans then I agree. Don't forget the fact the WBL hasn't had an opening since LS was at least had double their current enrollment.
1981 is when Shawnee was readmitted for the 82-83 schools year and Lima Senior enrollment was double the largest school at the time. Now, enrollment would still be the largest, but not by many compared to Wapak, who is currently the largest school in the league. I think the prospect of an opening is slim to none, but one has to wonder if Kenton will look at competitiveness like their Hardin County neighbor Ada.

Long shot switch. Lima Senior to the WBL and Kenton to the CBC. Lima Senior enrollment discrepancy is not as large as before.
it isn't a "long shot switch" it's a "pie in the sky" switch. it will never, and I know never is a long time, but never happen.

simply makes sense.
I've already heard a lot of rumblings out of Sylvania concerning the current setup. Northview finishes with Whitmer, @ Anthony Wayne & @ Findlay. Springfield also has AW, P-Burg & Whitmer.

I think we'll have a breakaway league from those Big 4 within three years. Northview is going to lose a lot of decent athletes to Southview with this current structure.

I'll add as well it wasn't too long ago a 2 division SLL was floated with Northwood, Ottawa Hills & Stritch joining the "small division". I wouldn't at all be shocked to see a push for the NBC to absorb Napoleon & Liberty Benton. Would make for one hell of a league

And attendance at football and boys basketball games is what finances athletics departments.
And Lima doesn't bring fans which is my point. But it is just not those sports. If LS would bring 50 fans to every away soccer, volleyball, girls basketball and 100+ to track conference meet each day leagues would be much more interested in them. There are lots of those types of games and having no visiting fans show up is a hit to the AD budget.

That's not what demographics mean and most of us know better.
It is called sarcasm. Demographics have nothing to do with teams not wanting LS in their league it is all due not bringing fans to away games and in the fact they are completely uncompetitive in many sports.

If LS had a big traveling fanbase and most kids had 2-4 family members for all sports go to all their away games they would be very attractive to leagues but they don't have that so they will struggle to find a conference that will want them. It is just lazy thinking to blame it on demographics.