Northwest Conference 2021

I saw this earlier today as well. While I do think Leipsic has a great chance of winning the conference in their first season, I don't see Spencerville being at the top and I can't see Grove being 6th. What am I missing here??
The word "poll" shouldn't be used here. A poll is asking other people their rankings and then making a consensus of it. This is one person's opinion. And a bad one at that.

St Johns has boys soccer?
It must be girls soccer as I dont see boys soccer on their website Someone from Delphos told me about a soccer match between the 2 the night before the football game. I assumed incorrectly I guess

I saw this earlier today as well. While I do think Leipsic has a great chance of winning the conference in their first season, I don't see Spencerville being at the top and I can't see Grove being 6th. What am I missing here??
I have no idea what this reporter is basing his picks off of, but I can't see Spencerville finishing in the top 4. They've been on a slow decline since 2018. IMO Grove, Allen East (if they have another QB), and Leipsic will fight for the top 3 spots, Crestview will be slightly above Spencerville, with Bluffton not far behind. Jefferson could also be a surprise this year. I could honestly see them winning 3-4 league games against Ada, Bluffton, and split against Spencerville or Crestview if they play well those games

Big loss for the BVC, big gain for the NWC. Leipsic is an excellent small school sports program in both boys and girls sports.
Agree 100 percent. Closer in proximity than Paulding which I’m sure current schools appreciate. I know this is the football forum but this will raise the level overall in girls sports maybe even more than boys when you consider the consistent success of the VB and GBK teams at Leipsic.

It must be girls soccer as I dont see boys soccer on their website Someone from Delphos told me about a soccer match between the 2 the night before the football game. I assumed incorrectly I guess
There is a girls soccer game next Friday night at Stadium Park in Delphos between Jefferson and St. John's.

How did jamborees go last night?

not hearing a lot of talk from any of the leagues in the area (MAC/WBL/NWC)

Watched some of the Arcanum @ Ada scrimmage last night and for what I watched, they ran it all as actual game conditions other then could not run back kickoffs or punts.
Not sure of Arcanum strength this year but they definitely have a decent QB and a nice passing game. A couple of their wide receivers have some very good speed and was constantly finding the open field for easy receptions Think they scored 4 times mainly with their passing game
On Ada side, D looks a little suspect but nothing that cannot be worked on and improved. More of having kids in the right positions to make the plays
Ada Offense. This was a very pleasant surprise. Ada ran the ball pretty much the whole scrimmage and have 3 decent and hard nosed runners (which includes the QB) The took their 1st possession and drove right down the field picking up 7-8 yards per carry to put it in the end zone. O line was creating some very big holes then the RB were not hesitant to hit the defender head on to get a few more yards
Overall for Ada, you can tell the kids have taken to the new coach and that they definitely have been hitting the weights. Overall look a lot stronger physically than in past years. Ada will struggle against passing teams this year but could make a few games interesting if they fix their woes on D LIke the direction this program went and looking better than where they were at last year Oh and counted the kids, looks like 30-31 on the roster. A lot better than originally thought would be out

Last edited:
Grove looked solid against Arlington last night. Metzger looked good on the few carries he had, and several different guys contributed to offensive production. Defense gave up a few good runs early but later in the scrimmage when they went game situation for one half they didn’t give up a point.

Best part of the night was in the game situation, Grove tried a 61 yard field goal on 4th and 3. Our kicker ran out on the field and the crowd went nuts lol. He was about 3 yards short on the kick but it was wet and the grass was long, should be an interesting year with him at kicker

Stadium Park in Delphos on Friday.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-14 15.43.38.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-14 15.43.38.png
    993.8 KB · Views: 33
That is sharp. Excuse me if this is common knowledge but I am not sure. What is the name above "Field" And thanks for posting this

Agree 100 percent. Closer in proximity than Paulding which I’m sure current schools appreciate. I know this is the football forum but this will raise the level overall in girls sports maybe even more than boys when you consider the consistent success of the VB and GBK teams at Leipsic.
3 of the 7 schools you're talking about are actually closer to Paulding than Leipsic......

Went and watched Van Wert vs. Crestview. I know this is a scrimmage, but based off what I saw from Crestview, I am not sure how many wins they will have this year. While Van Wert is very good again this year, Crestview looked really bad. Defense appeared to not know what they were doing, as VW had receivers running wide open all night. Offensively, it appears the new coach wants to do the same as old coach in running the ball, but without the horses from last year, the running game doesn't appear to be going anywhere, even behind a pretty good line. Special teams was a mess. Just not a very good showing for Crestview. Again, it's a scrimmage but I thought they would look a little better than they did.

Went and watched Van Wert vs. Crestview. I know this is a scrimmage, but based off what I saw from Crestview, I am not sure how many wins they will have this year. While Van Wert is very good again this year, Crestview looked really bad. Defense appeared to not know what they were doing, as VW had receivers running wide open all night. Offensively, it appears the new coach wants to do the same as old coach in running the ball, but without the horses from last year, the running game doesn't appear to be going anywhere, even behind a pretty good line. Special teams was a mess. Just not a very good showing for Crestview. Again, it's a scrimmage but I thought they would look a little better than they did.
I'm questioning what's going on with the program. I have a feeling that the program has become divided. I'm also pissed my stepson has flag football practice this Friday from 6:20 to 7:30pm while the varsity is playing @Parkway at 7pm. Let alone some of us who had kids play Wren baseball/softball have to work Wren Days as well on that Friday let alone our paying jobs. To me it's a sign of disrespect to the HS team and coaches whether they did it on accident or not.

It makes sense why their defense would struggle early - probably installing a new scheme as their old DC is at Wayne Trace now, but their offense should still be good if they're in the right system. If I remember right they still have 1 very good running back returning as well as almost all of their starting line both ways from last year. You would think the line alone with one athlete would give you something to build on

It makes sense why their defense would struggle early - probably installing a new scheme as their old DC is at Wayne Trace now, but their offense should still be good if they're in the right system. If I remember right they still have 1 very good running back returning as well as almost all of their starting line both ways from last year. You would think the line alone with one athlete would give you something to build on
BirdDog, which good running back are you referring to? The two that I saw in the game were both very small backs. I believe one was Helt and the other was Kline. Of the two, it looked like Helt got the bulk of the carries and was decent. They also have a bigger fullback, Wreath I think... looks like he could be a power back like Brecht was, but in the scrimmage he didn't touch the ball much.

I thought with the loss of two really good backs and a good line coming back, they would take advantage of their skill guys. However, they only threw the ball a handful of times and I never even saw one of their better WR's from last year on the field, possibly banged up.

Again, it's a scrimmage and maybe new coach didn't want to show much, but they just didn't look as good as I thought they would.

BirdDog, which good running back are you referring to? The two that I saw in the game were both very small backs. I believe one was Helt and the other was Kline. Of the two, it looked like Helt got the bulk of the carries and was decent. They also have a bigger fullback, Wreath I think... looks like he could be a power back like Brecht was, but in the scrimmage he didn't touch the ball much.
I thought they had 3 last year, Brecht and Gerardot obviously, but I thought they had a 3rd that hurt Grove last year in the run game but can't remember his name. #22 maybe?

Leipsic-LC scrimmage
LC got 10 plays and drove the ball down the field then threw a pick on one of their last plays. Leipsic has a couple nice pass completions during their set of 10 but could not run the ball.

When they started the down and distance portion LC got 2 first downs before their QB went 45 yards up the middle for a score. Leipsic got one first down then threw a pick on 3rd and 10 after a stuffed QB run and an incomplete pass. Liberty then went 20 yards in 3 plays for a score. Leipsic went 3 and out but forced a turnover on downs. Leipsic threw another pick right away but picked up an interception of their own on 4th down after an LC touchdown pass was called back. Leipsic then drove the whole field on a mix of LC starters/reserves, LC starting O then went 80 yards for another score in 10-11 plays. Then a steady mix of JV and Freshman for the rest of the scrimmage but #79 for Leipsic is one of the bigger freshman I have ever seen at a D7 school.

I thought they had 3 last year, Brecht and Gerardot obviously, but I thought they had a 3rd that hurt Grove last year in the run game but can't remember his name. #22 maybe?
I think that is the QB, Ward. He did not play at the scrimmage and was on crutches from what I saw.

Any insights from week 1?

having only seen the DJ/DSJ game, I was mostly happy just to see DJ get the W, considering the massive struggles of both programs as of late, but DJ was winless in 2020 and only had 1 win in 2018 and 2019, so even the seniors have only experienced 2 wins their entire tenure, until the W this past weekend. Also doesn’t hurt to note, the defense has been about the worst in the state during that span, so getting and/or forcing 7 turnovers, and holding ANY team to 14 points was a huge win.

DJ does LOOK physically better across the board. While I hate the term, they definitely look bigger, faster, and stronger. Now, some bits of executing things was sharper and definitely improved, but there is a WIDE area left to be improved in that area in regards to penalties, false starts, encroachments, etc. DJ still seems a little overly dependent on the QB run game still, making it pretty predictable, but they have some options off of it. I came away mixed, but pleased to see the overall improvement, with a lot of potential to improve further yet, so it will be an interesting year to watch the progression of things.

Grove won 31-6 against PG and honestly it was a boring game. Grove came out strong but had missed opportunities on a touchdown called back, 2 missed field goals, and a couple starters getting injuries that they came back from later in the game. They had control the entire game, but I thought they could have been up 28-0 after the 1st quarter. I guess it's a good sign though when you win 31-6 to open the season and aren't impressed

Week 2:
Grove vs. Paulding
Delphos Jefferson vs. Ayersville
Allen East vs. Lima Perry
Leipsic vs. Sherwood Fairview
Crestview vs. Hicksville
Ada vs. Arlington
Spencerville vs. Parkway
Bluffton vs. Pandora-Gilboa

Who you got?

Grove vs. Paulding - every year since 1996 ;)
Delphos Jefferson vs. Ayersville - Impressed with the DJ win against St. John's but I think they'll still struggle this year, if everything goes right they'll be 5-5 or 6-4
Allen East vs. Lima Perry - Allen East will roll.. I wish they played someone decent out of conference this year.
Leipsic vs. Sherwood Fairview - The Apaches of 2018-2020 are long gone
Crestview vs. Hicksville - Was surprised by Crestview's win last week, I think they win big again
Ada vs. Arlington - Ada hasn't looked much better yet
Spencerville vs. Parkway - Spencerville lost but impressed me vs. a much bigger Elida team, they could be in the conversation for top in the league again
Bluffton vs. Pandora-Gilboa - Bluffton keeps improving. I'm not convinced they're great from beating up on CR, but they can score on anyone. It would be awesome to see the NWC championship game in Grove on week 10

Grove vs. Paulding
Delphos Jefferson vs. Ayersville
Allen East vs. Lima Perry
Leipsic vs. Sherwood Fairview
Crestview vs. Hicksville
Ada vs. Arlington
Spencerville vs. Parkway
Bluffton vs. Pandora-Gilbo

Grove vs. Paulding - every year since 1996 ;)
Delphos Jefferson vs. Ayersville - Impressed with the DJ win against St. John's but I think they'll still struggle this year, if everything goes right they'll be 5-5 or 6-4
Allen East vs. Lima Perry - Allen East will roll.. I wish they played someone decent out of conference this year.
Leipsic vs. Sherwood Fairview - The Apaches of 2018-2020 are long gone
Crestview vs. Hicksville - Was surprised by Crestview's win last week, I think they win big again
Ada vs. Arlington - Ada hasn't looked much better yet
Spencerville vs. Parkway - Spencerville lost but impressed me vs. a much bigger Elida team, they could be in the conversation for top in the league again
Bluffton vs. Pandora-Gilboa - Bluffton keeps improving. I'm not convinced they're great from beating up on CR, but they can score on anyone. It would be awesome to see the NWC championship game in Grove on week 10
I noticed you said Allen East will roll over Perry, then below you have favorable comments for Bluffton. You do realize Perry beat Bluffton 28-21 in the last scrimmage this year? Perry has virtually everyone back from a 6-1 team last year.

I noticed you said Allen East will roll over Perry, then below you have favorable comments for Bluffton. You do realize Perry beat Bluffton 28-21 in the last scrimmage this year? Perry has virtually everyone back from a 6-1 team last year.
Perry will go undefeated in the NWCC. Their athletes are just better than anyone else in that conference and will probably have 8-9 regular season wins. That doesn’t mean they can beat Allen East. AE right now is just much better.

For Bluffton, they are playing PG, who my team just beat handily on Friday even though they played very bad. I do think they’ll do well in the conference, with wins against Jefferson, Ada, Crestview, and pick off one of either Allen East, Leipsic, or (hopefully not) Grove. They have literally everyone back from last year’s team that was the most successful year under Richards. My comment about week 10 isn’t a prediction, I just purely think it would be awesome to see it again, it’s been since 2005 that Grove and Bluffton played for a league title in week 10 after several years in a row of it.

And you can’t base anything off of scrimmages. If we’re doing that, then bluffton would compete with Marion local at least offensively (according to the MAC thread) which just isn’t happening. Coaches have different goals in scrimmages that no one outside of the team normally knows

Last edited: