NL Central Discussion

Sig Hansen

Treat this thread like "The Opposition" thread from last year. I thought that thread name was gay so I started a new one.

Anything about the Astros, Brewers, Cubs and Cardinals can go here. It's easier than creating a separate thread for everything, such as:

Carlos Beltran just signed for 2 years, $26M with the Cardinals. This is a pretty good move by them, considering Lance Berkman will be moving to 1B which opens up a spot in the outfield. He had a pretty disappointing stint with the Giants last season, so hopefully that will continue and the Cards will waste $13M/year. :cool:

Aramis Ramirez signed a three year deal with the Brewers
http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/stor...ubs-3b-aramis-ramirez-heads-milwaukee-brewers

Cubs respond by adding Ian Stewart from Colorado
http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/19125/cubs-take-a-chance-get-a-third-baseman

Post other stuff here when it comes out

Yankees are looking to sign Edwin Jackson. Not sure what the Cards rotation will be next year but Jackson was one of their better pitchers. He'd have to be a significant loss to their team. Wainright is coming back though, so as long as they don't lose anyone else they should be ok pitching wise, unfortunately. The Yankees are also looking to Matt Garza. Good God the Cubs are going to suck this year :laugh:

http://jon-heyman.blogs.cbssports.co...14192/34179187

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/stor...anthony-rizzo-san-diego-padres-andrew-cashner

Cubs acquire 1B Anthony Rizzo from Padres for RHP Andrew Cashner

Unless the Cardinals sign Prince Fielder (which is extremely unlikely now) both Pujols and Fielder will be out of the NL Central. Couldn't have gone much better for the Reds. The Nationals are supposedly the favorites to sign Fielder, btw. Fielder and Jason Werth would do pretty well if they batted next to eachother. They are a team on the rise

Cubs signed Kerry Wood to one year, $3M deal. Would have liked to have him in a Reds uniform, but oh well

Pirates are in talks with the Yankees to acquire AJ Burnett. Definitely not used to seeing the Pirates being involved in big-time trades like this

Pirates are in talks with the Yankees to acquire AJ Burnett. Definitely not used to seeing the Pirates being involved in big-time trades like this

Burnett is washed up. Buster Olney had him as the #4 in the rotation. My biggest concern is the Reds do not have a LH Starting Pitcher. I just don't see how you can count on Chapman for any big role this season.

Burnett been pitching in the AL East for the last six years though. He could definitely have a few more solid seasons in an easier division, so I'm not too happy about him possibly pitching for the Pirates. And yeah, who knows what will happen with Chapman. He could end up spending all year in the Minors which would be a huge waist

I was watching Baseball Tonight the other night and one of the analysts said the Cards were "clear" favorites. The only issue I take with that statement is the word "clear".

A. Lost best player in baseball.
B. Nothing guarantees Wainwright will be the same pitcher he was prior to injury.

Those two factors alone make it highly questionable IMO.

...Beltran...He had a pretty disappointing stint with the Giants last season

Really? He hit .323 with the Giants and between the Mets and Giants he played in 142 games and had a WAR of 4.7. Doesn't sound too bad to me....considering Pujols had a WAR of 5.1. I think Wainright coming back makes up any difference in production between Pujols and Beltran. The question for me is if Furcal, Beltran and Berkman can stay healthy. If they do, the central will go to the Cardinals.

:laugh: 5-year/$75 mill for Molina. :laugh:

I thought that was nuts myself because of all the innings he's caught and the fact that he doesn't hit all that well, despite a very good year last year.

On the other hand, I think it's a better deal for them than if they had given Pujols what he wanted. Neck Tattoos is still only 29 and has had a lot to do with two World Series championships and three NL pennants.

He's still a whiney little behatch, though.

Reds come in 2nd this yr --possible wild card--hoffy shocks yappi world picking the pirates to win the division

That's just because you get a boner for them every time they're mentioned. But now that LaRussa is gone I won't be able to hate them nearly as much.