NFL rejects veterans group’s ad for Super Bowl program

As a veteran myself, I concur Termite. The loudest whining seems to be coming from those who never even served and probably feel inadequate because of it.

Great second point also. It's why I appreciate things like kneeling, flag burning, etc. even though I disagree with them completely. It means we have freedoms, and it shouldn't be any other way.

My exact sentiments.

I would have liked to see the commercial but they routinely don't allow political statements in AN commercials and for that I'm glad

My exact sentiments.

I would have liked to see the commercial but they routinely don't allow political statements in AN commercials and for that I'm glad
It was a print ad in the souvenir program.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

My exact sentiments.

Same here. I have always thought that what made our country great was the ability to tolerate differences of opinion.

BTW, you would never have had the ability to SEE the ad. It was not a TV ad but only in the program.

Oh well......was wondering how they woulda paid for it. Still the same tho.......they usually st Y away from that stuff

As a military veteran, son of a veteran, grandson of a veteran; feel free to do whatever you want during the playing of the National Anthem.
Personally, I stand; I love living in a free country, if you force someone to do something they don't want to do, you are not living in a free country.

But that's really not what's being argued here. Of course individuals have the freedom to choose to stand or not during the anthem. But we are not talking about a fan in the stands who remains sitting during the anthem as that would be their choice and it's none of my business what they do even if I think it's disrespectful. The issue is how should we react when the NFL allows their employees to disrespect the flag and anthem.

* The NFL long ago choose to feature the National Anthem prior to the start of their games. In doing this it became their responsibility to manage the actions of their employees. If a player feels they can not be bothered to stand for the anthem then the player should remain in the locker room until it's done. But to allow the players to take a knee during the anthem implies NFL support for the players political statement and disrespect for the flag/anthem. It also shows a remarkable lack of sensitivity to those fans who are insulted by the players actions.

* The NFL goes out of its way to drape itself in the flag and the trappings of patriotism when it suits them. From military flyovers to featuring the National Anthem before every game. I would be fine if the league simply stopped playing the National Anthem as they have no business spotlighting this ceremony if they can't bring themselves to control the disrespectful actions of some of their employees towards this ceremony.

* I would be equally okay if the NFL directed its patriotism toward the concept of unrestricted FREE SPEECH and didn't enforce any code on the players before, during & after a game. If the players want to wear headbands extolling their faith in God than go for it. Or if they want to extend their middle finger at the opposing fans as they come out of the tunnel, go for it!

For a lot of us it's the NFL's selective enforcement of free speech that we find troubling. A league that routinely fines & suspends players for all sorts of infractions can't find the will to punish players for kneeling during the anthem? So we ask the logical question - doers the NFL support the kneeling?

But that's really not what's being argued here. Of course individuals have the freedom to choose to stand or not during the anthem. But we are not talking about a fan in the stands who remains sitting during the anthem as that would be their choice and it's none of my business what they do even if I think it's disrespectful. The issue is how should we react when the NFL allows their employees to disrespect the flag and anthem.

* The NFL long ago choose to feature the National Anthem prior to the start of their games. In doing this it became their responsibility to manage the actions of their employees. If a player feels they can not be bothered to stand for the anthem then the player should remain in the locker room until it's done. But to allow the players to take a knee during the anthem implies NFL support for the players political statement and disrespect for the flag/anthem. It also shows a remarkable lack of sensitivity to those fans who are insulted by the players actions.

* The NFL goes out of its way to drape itself in the flag and the trappings of patriotism when it suits them. From military flyovers to featuring the National Anthem before every game. I would be fine if the league simply stopped playing the National Anthem as they have no business spotlighting this ceremony if they can't bring themselves to control the disrespectful actions of some of their employees towards this ceremony.

* I would be equally okay if the NFL directed its patriotism toward the concept of unrestricted FREE SPEECH and didn't enforce any code on the players before, during & after a game. If the players want to wear headbands extolling their faith in God than go for it. Or if they want to extend their middle finger at the opposing fans as they come out of the tunnel, go for it!

For a lot of us it's the NFL's selective enforcement of free speech that we find troubling. A league that routinely fines & suspends players for all sorts of infractions can't find the will to punish players for kneeling during the anthem? So we ask the logical question - doers the NFL support the kneeling?

Does it really keep you up at night enough to warrant this type of response? Bottom line is that the NFL is a business and they run it how they want. And how they're running it isn't affecting anyone else, and they continue to maintain their status as the biggest sports league in the world.

Pats-Jags posted a 27.3 rating(peaked at 31.8). The NFL isn't hurting in the slightest. Everyone who isn't a sensitive PJW pansy just ignores it and then enjoys some football.

Does it really keep you up at night enough to warrant this type of response? Bottom line is that the NFL is a business and they run it how they want. And how they're running it isn't affecting anyone else, and they continue to maintain their status as the biggest sports league in the world.

Pats-Jags posted a 27.3 rating(peaked at 31.8). The NFL isn't hurting in the slightest.

My guess would be his stance is based on the fact that Trump got in the middle of this.

Pats-Jags posted a 27.3 rating(peaked at 31.8). The NFL isn't hurting in the slightest. Everyone who isn't a sensitive PJW pansy just ignores it and then enjoys some football.

It amazes me how you get your panty's in a wad over people who disagree with you. In case you hadn't noticed this is the DEBATE section of a message board which generally means that folks DEBATE the issues of the day here.

And no one would dispute the NFL can run their business as they please but then again NFL customers are free to criticize how they run their business. NFL customers can also choose to patronize or NOT patronize that business based on how the NFL reacts to things like the players taking a knee during the anthem.

To be clear I've enjoyed the NFL playoff games this year like I do every year. But my enjoyment of the games doesn't mean I won't express my opinion on this subject. One thing I won't be doing though is buying NFL merchandise or tickets to any future games. And not just because of the kneeling, though that did play a role, but also because the in game viewing experience at NFL stadiums is terrible and the merchandise is way to expensive.

It's funny how you take it so seriously that some of us don't like it that the players kneel during the anthem and we think the NFL should have done something about it. It's like we're personally attacking YOU with this belief. Like I said before if it doesn't bother you fine, it's a free country. But I can't for the life of me figure out why it bothers you so much that it bothers us!

Same here. I have always thought that what made our country great was the ability to tolerate differences of opinion. .

Really? I would be curious to know when this magical time in our history occurred. You know the one where we tolerated differences of opinion? To be clear I'm all for folks tolerating differences of opinion but the sad truth is that we never have. The only thing different about today's intolerance is that it primarily originates on the left.

I think what most people find weird is how much attention people give this issue. Fewer that 3% of players kneeled, most of them random bench warmers. It seems a really strange thing to dominate the news cycle for as long as it did/has. It also seems an even stranger thing for the President to insert himself into(which just increased the # of players kneeling.) Though I'd think even his supporters would acknowledge he did it mainly to throw red meat to his base.

It amazes me how you get your panty's in a wad over people who disagree with you. In case you hadn't noticed this is the DEBATE section of a message board which generally means that folks DEBATE the issues of the day here.

And no one would dispute the NFL can run their business as they please but then again NFL customers are free to criticize how they run their business. NFL customers can also choose to patronize or NOT patronize that business based on how the NFL reacts to things like the players taking a knee during the anthem.

To be clear I've enjoyed the NFL playoff games this year like I do every year. But my enjoyment of the games doesn't mean I won't express my opinion on this subject. One thing I won't be doing though is buying NFL merchandise or tickets to any future games. And not just because of the kneeling, though that did play a role, but also because the in game viewing experience at NFL stadiums is terrible and the merchandise is way to expensive.

It's funny how you take it so seriously that some of us don't like it that the players kneel during the anthem and we think the NFL should have done something about it. It's like we're personally attacking YOU with this belief. Like I said before if it doesn't bother you fine, it's a free country. But I can't for the life of me figure out why it bothers you so much that it bothers us!

Right, because the PJW's haven't gotten their panties in a wad over the kneeling of a few players lol

I certainly don't take it seriously, just find it hilarious that the same people who and moan about SJW's(justifiably) turn around and get butthurt over a few players kneeling during a song, to the point that they go on long-form rants on the subject.

I think what most people find weird is how much attention people give this issue. Fewer that 3% of players kneeled, most of them random bench warmers. It seems a really strange thing to dominate the news cycle for as long as it did/has. It also seems an even stranger thing for the President to insert himself into(which just increased the # of players kneeling.) Though I'd think even his supporters would acknowledge he did it mainly to throw red meat to his base.

Absolutely. Just like anything, ignore it, don't give it the time of day, and it will most likely go away. These people somehow haven't figured out that by getting all sensitive about it, it's only adding fuel to the fire and giving the players an excuse to continue kneeling.

As a veteran myself, I concur Termite. The loudest whining seems to be coming from those who never even served and probably feel inadequate because of it.

Great second point also. It's why I appreciate things like kneeling, flag burning, etc. even though I disagree with them completely. It means we have freedoms, and it shouldn't be any other way.

:clap:

Well there were plenty of threads on the NFL forum involving Kaepernik and kneeling, but you didn't start posting about the topic until after Trump made his comments.

There's two reasons I avoided those threads but jumped into this one:

1) I don't like arguing politics on the NFL or any of the sports threads if it can be avoided. A lot of folks go to those threads to debate SPORTS and the last thing they want to see is us arguing politics.

2) The cumulative stupidity of those supporting the kneeling, mocking the way some people see the flag & anthem as important symbols and how a few posters kept defending the inept way the NFL handled this whole affair forced my hand. And with the topic firing back up on the Debate board I figured it was time to jump in.

There's two reasons I avoided those threads but jumped into this one:

1) I don't like arguing politics on the NFL or any of the sports threads if it can be avoided. A lot of folks go to those threads to debate SPORTS and the last thing they want to see is us arguing politics.

But you did in the NFL forum only after Trump made his comments.

2) The cumulative stupidity of those supporting the kneeling,

Can you point me towards those supporting the kneeling? You remind me of a BLM clown who thinks that you support the KKK if you believe they have a right to express themselves.

mocking the way some people see the flag & anthem as important symbols and how a few posters kept defending the inept way the NFL handled this whole affair forced my hand. And with the topic firing back up on the Debate board I figured it was time to jump in.

I don't think the NFL did a great job handling this, but it was far from as bad as you want to portray it. I know you'd have "fired" players that knelt, which as I pointed out previously, is an interesting stance since the NFL has/had players who weren't "fired" for actual crimes that involved actual victims.

But you did in the NFL forum only after Trump made his comments.

Can you point me towards those supporting the kneeling? You remind me of a BLM clown who thinks that you support the KKK if you believe they have a right to express themselves.

I don't think the NFL did a great job handling this, but it was far from as bad as you want to portray it. I know you'd have "fired" players that knelt, which as I pointed out previously, is an interesting stance since the NFL has/had players who weren't "fired" for actual crimes that involved actual victims.

Oh please the NFL lost a little revenue and some of it's precious TV audience. It also lost some fans in stadiums due to this nonsense. Was it a devastating loss? No, at least not yet. But to argue that this did not hurt the NFL is foolish.

And yes the NFL did a terrible job of handling this. They allowed what should have been a minor thing blow up in their faces. A simple command that they would fine & suspend ANY players who knelt or in any way disrespected the anthem would have nipped this in the bud. At the same time they could have told the players that if any of them could not bring themselves to be respectful to this ritual they could stay in the locker room until the anthem was done and then come out and join their team.

I don't get why so many are minimizing the screw up here?

Oh please the NFL lost a little revenue and some of it's precious TV audience. It also lost some fans in stadiums due to this nonsense. Was it a devastating loss? No, at least not yet. But to argue that this did not hurt the NFL is foolish.

And yes the NFL did a terrible job of handling this. They allowed what should have been a minor thing blow up in their faces. A simple command that they would fine & suspend ANY players who knelt or in any way disrespected the anthem would have nipped this in the bud. At the same time they could have told the players that if any of them could not bring themselves to be respectful to this ritual they could stay in the locker room until the anthem was done and then come out and join their team.

I don't get why so many are minimizing the screw up here?

Then they would have faced a protracted legal battle to the Supreme Court over limitations to free speech not to mention charges of racism.

I don't like the kneeling anymore than most but blame the true culprit, the erosion of respect in America, not the NFL.

The one thing the NFL could have and should have done was keep the players in the locker room until after the anthem. Such a simple fix, I'm perplexed why it wasn't instituted.

Then they would have faced a protracted legal battle to the Supreme Court over limitations to free speech not to mention charges of racism.

I don't like the kneeling anymore than most but blame the true culprit, the erosion of respect in America, not the NFL.

The one thing the NFL could have and should have done was keep the players in the locker room until after the anthem. Such a simple fix, I'm perplexed why it wasn't instituted.

I agree they would have faced lawsuits but the rights of employers in these matters has been reaffirmed pretty often and as long as the players had the opportunity to remain in the locker room and not participate I think the NFL would have won any legal challenges. Of course defending against such legal challenges isn't cheap.

And as you noted an even simpler solution would have been to keep the players in the locker room until after the anthem This way you still get the pregame ceremony but avoid the issues of disrespecting the flag/anthem. Sure they would have taken some heat for this but on the whole it would have been a lot less then they ultimately got.

Isn't it funny y2h that a couple of posters on yappi can come up with better solutions in a few minutes then the NFL and it's army of highly paid PR "experts" actually came up with to solve this?

First, everything is racist. So that charge means nothing.

Second, there is no legal question here. The NFL is not the government, and freedom of speech is limited at work.

Last edited:
First, everything is racist. So that charge means nothing.

Second, there is no legal question here. The NFL is not the government, and freedom is speech is limited at work.

I know you aren't this naive. You think the NFL wants Sharpton and Jackson leading pickets outside their stadiums on game day?

As for no legal question you can bet this would be a drawn out litigation. You don't think say the ACLU could find a sympathetic court to take up the cause? It may end up in the NFLs favor but why go through the process?

Easier to let it play out. By next season no one will care about kneelers.

I know you aren't this naive. You think the NFL wants Sharpton and Jackson leading pickets outside their stadiums on game day?
Protesting standing for the anthem? Sharpton and Jackson don't want that un-American publicity.

As for no legal question you can bet this would be a drawn out litigation.
It absolutely would not. There is plenty of precedent.

I doubt it, do you know how many people have been fired from their jobs for being stupid with social media? From the idiot VP of Marketing that tried to make a Chik-fil-A drive thru employee condemn her employer to the people protesting the removal of Civil War statues.

The NFL, like any other employer has the right to say what you do while you are on the clock and representing them and even if it brings bad publicity to them when you are on your own time. The NFL could have ended it by simply stating policy about demonstrating sportsmanship and good taste and been done with it 20 seconds after the 1st person kneeled. That's a simple fix.